The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Padje

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by Padje » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:28 am

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:Couple of questions for those who follow the UK scene a little closer...

Does anyone know if there's truth to Zack Sabre Jr. saying he's moving to California? Or is that just playing to the Reseda crowd? It certainly seems like between his Japan commitments and his increased presence in places like PWG and EVOLVE, it might make a lot of sense.

What are people's thoughts on guys like Joel Redmond & Martin Stone? I wasn't too familiar with them prior to coming to NXT, and while they never really got much of a chance to shine, I thought some of their leaked promos were pretty solid. Seems like they're fairly regular around the UK scene, but guys like Ospreay, Scurll, Haskins & Havoc seem to be the bigger names at the moment. Where do most people see those kinds of guys in the pecking order?

EDIT: I see that Stone pretty much worked exclusively in the US in 2015, so maybe that's why I haven't seen his name pop up much on the UK scene. Doh.
Only saw Redman live the one time, but I was impressed with his intensity. The jacked up guys are always awe-inspiring for the first minute, but his physicality stretched on for the whole match. Everything looked like he meant it. His facials and selling were top notch, proper WWE 2000-capacity-or-70000-capacity quality. You can really see the difference, sitting in the social clubs, between the people who have been through the WWE system (Mickie James had these qualities when I saw her last week) and all the TNA lads working indie mains (Magnus, Abyss, that one that's like Zack Ryder but isn't)

It was a solid mid-card bout and left my mate convinced that Dirty Dick Riley was one of the best he'd ever seen (lol).

It'd be nice if Redman got a look in PROGRESS/PCW. Maybe he just prices himself out? Maybe he is priced out by virtue of living by himself near the sea and would cost more as expenses cannot be mitigated by filling the car with other lads? Maybe he's just with All Star all the time. All I know is if I had an indie fed, I'd want his image on every poster.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm

It's the same time to fly to Japan from either Cali or the UK (they go different ways around the globe).

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Both of them, but especially Stone, were bigger names on the UK scene (all be it the scene was smaller) before they left. Martin Stone was kind of the guy before he left, but since he came back he seemed to be building up a spot in RPW before leaving to go the US route. Redman for whatever reason doesn't seem to be working too many of the higher profile UK promotions apart from RevPro and to a lesser extent FN!.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas.

If there is any truth to Sabre Jr. moving to Cali, I'd think that it probably has more to do with him increasing his bookings in the US since EVOLVE & PWG have been using him pretty frequently this year. Just looking at his Cagematch profile, here's the number of dates he's worked in England, US & Japan in 2015 (this is just shows, not including tournaments where he's had multiple matches in one night): England - 5, US - 9, Japan - 56.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:05 am

What's the goss on Ospreay no longer working for PCW? He mentioned it on twitter some time back, saying it was a shame, but that's the way things go. Anyone know?

themib

Post by themib » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Padje wrote:What's the goss on Ospreay no longer working for PCW? He mentioned it on twitter some time back, saying it was a shame, but that's the way things go. Anyone know?
Apparently he asked for a pay rise because he was moving house, and said he justified it with the buzz he's generated elsewhere, and Fludder turned him down, so Ospreay's no longer working for PCW.

Some other recent news - Austin Aries is replacing Ethan Carter III on the Southside 5th Anniversary Show on October 24th (and rather conveniently, Rosita got on the show as well), and IPW:UK booked a match I didn't know I wanted to see for September 27th - Bobby Lashley vs. Tommy End.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:02 pm

themib wrote:
Padje wrote:What's the goss on Ospreay no longer working for PCW? He mentioned it on twitter some time back, saying it was a shame, but that's the way things go. Anyone know?
Apparently he asked for a pay rise because he was moving house, and said he justified it with the buzz he's generated elsewhere, and Fludder turned him down, so Ospreay's no longer working for PCW.

Some other recent news - Austin Aries is replacing Ethan Carter III on the Southside 5th Anniversary Show on October 24th (and rather conveniently, Rosita got on the show as well), and IPW:UK booked a match I didn't know I wanted to see for September 27th - Bobby Lashley vs. Tommy End.
I see on facebook Ospreay has only just opened his booking diary for 2016. Was he savvy enough to wait until after BOLA and drive his price up?

On the Southside news, I'm happy any time an indy lad replaces a TNA lad, even if that indy lad is currently with TNA.

Planet

Post by Planet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Damn. Any chance the Lashley/End show will recorded in any way?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Almost certainly, and it'll be available on their Vimeo on Demand service.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:33 pm

IPW:UK have their Future 8 and Super 8 tournaments this weekend in Tonbridge on back-to-back nights (I'm planning on hitting up Super 8 on Sunday). Interesting storyline that since Mr. Puppet (Vince Russo's aide in the storyline) claims that "future" wasn't clearly defined, he entered World and All-England Champion Jimmy Havoc into the Future 8 Tournament.

*Jimmy Havoc vs. Alex Kift
*Cieran Donnelly vs. Danny Duggan (Battle of the Tag Team Champions)
*Darrell Allen vs. Tom Dawkins
*Sebastian vs. Sammy Smooth

The winner of the Future 8 Tournament will be entered into the next day's Super 8 Tournament, where I presume the winner gets a title shot. Kris Travis was meant to enter, but he's not well at the moment, and has had to withdraw.

*Dave Mastiff vs. Rampage Brown
*Jody Fleisch vs. Will Ospreay
*Doug Williams vs. James Davis
*Winner of the Future 8 vs. Winner of the Super 8 Qualifying Match

The Super 8 Qualifying Match will be held on the preshow on Sunday, between Kenny Williams, Noam Dar, Paul Robinson and Sha Samuels. It was originally meant as a match to determine the alternate, but it's now for a spot in the tournament after Travis' withdrawal.

One funny note - Tommaso Ciampa is on the Saturday preshow, mainly because he's doing double duty and working for Rev Pro in Southampton later that night.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:13 pm

themib wrote:

100% confirm this regarding Ospreay - but to add a bit more context: Will agreed a year of dates at X amount wage. Two shows in from 12 wanted 40% pay rise. 'if you think I'm worth it you will pay it''. Bad form really from Will.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

SenorLARIATO

Post by SenorLARIATO » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Yeah, disappointing to hear he'd try and pull that, good on Fludder for not playing ball - that being said, from the perspective of someone who only pays attention to PCW when ROH comes to town, Ospreay's more of a draw for me personally than 90% of the imports PCW bring in.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:54 am

Anyone going to PCW this evening?
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:09 am

The Tommy End vs Bobby Lashley match at IPW-UK this weekend is off. Tommy had to opt out because he has a bunch of lingering injuries that need to be adressed. He'll be working Will Ospreay before Lashley (siting that Will works a style that is more compatible with what he can do injured) and will then go into rehab. He chose to cancel the Lashley match in advance rather than after facing Ospreay so IPW got time to find a replacement.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:45 pm

PKThree wrote:The Tommy End vs Bobby Lashley match at IPW-UK this weekend is off. Tommy had to opt out because he has a bunch of lingering injuries that need to be adressed. He'll be working Will Ospreay before Lashley (siting that Will works a style that is more compatible with what he can do injured) and will then go into rehab. He chose to cancel the Lashley match in advance rather than after facing Ospreay so IPW got time to find a replacement.
And that was enough for me to decide not to go. Sure they've got Ciampa/Mastiff, but I'm sure another fed will book that soon enough. And as fun as it may be, not really all that enticed to see Vince Russo and Dan Edler wrestling.