The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Empiresk

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by Empiresk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Quick question, has anyone received their Wrestle Queendom ticket in the post yet?

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 pm

I am putting 2 and 2 together here, but Dragon Gate oracle Jae has hinted that CIMA, Strong Hearts and OWE will be appearing in London this coming August. Fight Club Pro are having a three shows in London in August and have previously booked CIMA, alongside Xavier and Wentz, last October.

Can we safely assume this these will be the shows they appear at?

themib

Post by themib » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:27 pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... gone pretty belly up since the last post. Thanks WWE!

Anyways, off to Fight Club PRO's double header this weekend.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm

I listened to the BritWres Roundtable ep, since there's no thread for it I'm gonna leave my thoughts here instead.

The lads pretty much covered all my concerns, but brought up some aspects I honestly hadn't thought about much before. The conversation about BritWres about 3 years ago was "how is this so good and not everybody knows about it?" and a lot of people rightly brought up the abundance of schools, promotions that are more-or-less very professionally run and work opportunities within short geographic distances. The last one being the biggest factor, quite possibly. That's how guys Dunne got so good, by having just a wealth of experience (starting young) and being able to experiment in different promotions until he finally found a gimmick that clicked and which allowed him to show his in-ring prowess as well. This was also brought up as an argument against the way the Progress Dojo (back then directly affiliated with the promotion) trainees didn't work as many dates as trainees in other places. Those who work consistently, all sorts of shows, get good in a significantly reduced time frame. It just isn't going to happen as easily from now on.

This is one of the big reasons I can't recommend my own country's local scene. With scarcely ten to fifteen dates per year, nobody has a shot at getting the kind of experience they'd need to get solid, much less great. You need to work a lot, you need to work with veterans, you need to learn from so many different kinds of people and places. The sad fact of pro wrestling is how much work it takes and how little you get out of it. This is why it's impossible to feel bad for people finally cashing in - but then, I wonder, at what cost? The cost of other people's futures. The cost of the scene as a whole rising to a higher level.

I can't lie, I'm absolutely gutted by PROGRESS in particular jumping on board. I don't know what their choices were, but I can't help but feel there's an alternative history to the past couple of years in British wrestling's story, where people just say no. That's all it takes to increase your value in the eyes of the big company. Just keep saying no until you can say yes to something that you feel good saying yes to. And if nearly everybody kept saying no, where could we be today. (Of course, there's a gamble there - you increase your worth by saying no, but how far? Impossible to know and you always run the risk of somebody taking the offer off the table permanently.)

I remember in the halcyon days of PROGRESS, I could see this grand future where they build and build and build. Same with wXw, though I feel I was a bit late to that party. I feel gutted for those German wXw fans, who've been watching and following these people for years, only to have this swift buy-out and an uncertain future. It's, all in all, pretty depressing.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 pm

I took the time to watch FCP Project Tokyo this afternoon, since this would my first time watching any of these Brits in action--actually, this would be the first time watching the majority of the people on this show in action. I figured the people I do know would assist in making the show at least palatable:

- Moonlight Express vs. Hunter Brothers was a fine opener, and the Brothers are a fine enough team, although it seems that who I assume was Lee is the polished guy by a fair amount. As I expected from seeing MAO in the past (and seeing how Jim was here), Speedball blew the others here away. Does Jim have low cardio? He looked like he either got blown up quick or lost his rhythm quick, I couldn't really tell which
- Beauty Bear vs. DASH/McKenzie was great stuff. Sendai's crew looked great as nearly always, Iwata has really shaped up to become a hell of a worker, and holy shit did McKenzie leave a great first impression on me in belonging there with the other three. I also liked the idea that, though Iwata definitely is on the same level as her Sendai compatriots now, DASH is still making her scrape for every moment of shine she gets. It also gives the funny visual of "Tiny Terror Grumpy Vet DASH". Also, this was where I noticed the bald dude in the second row, who really approved of the Iwata/DASH strike exchange and had the most pronounced nodding I've seen in a year or two. Props to the chicks in the crowd trying several times to get pro-Millie chants going, really kept the match at least warm
- Sekimoto/Okabayashi vs. Aussie Open was interesting: everyone played their roles well enough, and based on look alone, Aussie Open better be heels every-fucking-where they go, they got that look of two guys who are moderately tough but not greatly so and scummy as hell. Davis comes off like a dad who said he was gonna get into wrestling late in the game, actually got in shape to do so, but ultimately can be out-matched by upper-tier opponents. Hecould be the absolute embodiment of the mid-card gatekeeper into the upper card if a promotion saw fit to have one around. Also, this was legit the first time I've seen Sekimoto use a Samoan Drop
- Strong Hearts Offer Match was, naturally, a strong showing. I've never been more than lukewarm on Yoshioka, but getting aligned with these guys has certainly helped raise his stock and help him come off as more than just another junior in that vast sea of puro indy juniors. With that said, he's trying a little too hard to come off as badass in that gear...wow has Lindaman gotten more jacked. Between he and Hashimoto, the future of really-short-but-stout wrestlers is in good hands. Also, man is it weird living in a world where T-Hawk actually has fans who *gasp* call out for him during matches
- CCK vs. Satomura/Tozawa (or Satozawa, as I could have sworn I heard a chant of early on) was a little better than the opener, but still firmly in the 'fine' camp. Also, on this night Aussie Open came off far better as cheating seconds than as an in-ring team. Is part of CCK's gimmick that one of them is perpeptually injured? I keep hearing about Lycos' propensity for injury, and here was Brookes with the sleeve on. With that said, they were on point here and probably the Euros I came away impressed by second- and third-most (behind McKenzie). Of anyone on this show I would want booked by some other promotion--let's say, for a tag league--it would be them...and hey, bring Aussie Open along to keep up the seconds-dary shenanigans. Despite saying the match was slightly better than fine, Tozawa straight-up stealing Naruki Doi's finishing combo--and doing it badly--popped me and got me into the finishing stretch big-time
- skipped the main event

Not bad for my first formal exposure to FCP, not bad at all. Of the four wrestling shows I've sat down to watch this year, I probably would put it 2nd (behind the Toshioki New Year's Eve show, which technically drifted into this year) but could be convinced to move up on re-watch.

02/17 EDIT: I was curious--since both Moonlight Express & Jimmy Havoc laid out challenges during this show--to check Cagematch and see if a rematch of the opener, or Havoc vs. Takeda, has happened since this show. They have not, so I figured I should ask Jamie on one end and whoever here follows BJW/Freedoms on the other--is either of those matches in the pipeline for FCP in the future, or was that just the parties in question trying to shoot their own angles?

themib

Post by themib » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Bailey talked about bringing MAO to the UK pretty recently. Nothing yet regarding Takeda coming over.

Wrestle House 19 is up now, will check it out when I'm back from holiday.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 am

Couple of bangers last night at Good Wrestling in Milton Keynes - Beano vs. Big Grizzly for their title was wrestled like a proper title match with the challenger (Grizzly) doing whatever it took to win the title, and Beano having to battle to the fullest limits to hold on to the title. Then the main event was the final of a tournament to find the next challenger, and one of the best intergender matches I've ever seen between Charli Evans and Mike Bird. Evans is having a sneaky good year when given the opportunities, and Bird steps up when put in the big spots. Go out of your way to see these two when Good put them up on their Vimeo.