The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
rovert

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by rovert » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 pm

I wonder what the crowd will be made up of. How many Londoners will travel and if PROGRESS plans on creating a North vs South fan rivalry or is it just them expanding into another major city.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:15 pm

From what I've seen on twitter I'm guessing they'll be at least 50, probably more of the hardcore PROGRESSers making the trip up. That being said, a lot of them were midlanders who were making the trip down to London so they'll be caught in the middle.

SenorLARIATO

Post by SenorLARIATO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Talked about it a bit on twitter, but I checked out Great Bear's 2015 Junior Heavyweight Cup and thought it was a pretty great show for £8;

gbpjhc2015.bigcartel.com

Only six matches, but all four of the tournament openers were fun and I really enjoyed the 4-way tournament final. Well worth a watch.

Anywho, what shows has everyone got lined up? I'll be at the Lucha Future show at the Royal Albert Hall on July 11th, then after that PROGRESS Chapter 21 and RevPro Uprising.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm not going to know whether I can attend Uprising till September, and by then I'm expecting they'll be sold out. I'm hoping to be able to make it down to see Chapter 21 this September though.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:50 pm

AaronVonCool wrote:Am I a bad person for kinda not liking Will Ospreay. I just don't get the dude, seems like every other flier out there.
I'm right there with you, as generic of a flier as there is right now. He can flip around a lot, but that's about all, and he doesn't stand out from the pack in any way.

SenorLARIATO

Post by SenorLARIATO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Personally I'd say Ospreay's one of the best babyfaces I've seen live - he hasn't quite got the balance between over and under selling things right as of yet, which leads to some of his reactions being overdone or too heavy handed, but even if he isn't the total package yet it's his passion and the effort he's putting in that almost compels the audience to get behind him. His athleticism is just a bonus. Also, it's worth mentioning that he's only 22. Big future ahead of him in British wrestling and, hopefully, on an international stage, imo.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Seems they're making a tour out of it in a similar way to what they did with ROH. Hype.

Padje

Post by Padje » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 pm

rovert wrote:I wonder what the crowd will be made up of. How many Londoners will travel and if PROGRESS plans on creating a North vs South fan rivalry or is it just them expanding into another major city.
I'd imagine there'll be more of a focus on the northern wrestlers they already have/will recruit. Kris Travis should be back by then (he's teasing that the PCW match with Sha Samuels might be a one off, but this is wrestling...)and will have great crowd support, especially as a megaface against Havoc if/after he loses the title.

For me, I enjoyed myself at the last PROGRESS show, but I skipped out on the Manchester show. It's as easy to get to as the London shows for me, but the train costs a lot more. I prefer being amongst northern rather than southern fans though, so I'll probably go next year.

Can't imagine PCW are too happy about being sandwiched between ICW and PROGRESS now.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Anyone heading the Preston's free outdoor show this week? What's the plan for if it rains?

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Padje wrote:Anyone heading the Preston's free outdoor show this week? What's the plan for if it rains?
I'm not planning on going to the outdoor show, but the forecast looks fine until 5pm then you'll just get wet.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 am

PCW / Preston Council estimated over 7000 people watched the outdoor tribute to the troops show on Saturday. Was a free show, but still, that's a impressive number.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:20 pm

cheapshot wrote:PCW / Preston Council estimated over 7000 people watched the outdoor tribute to the troops show on Saturday. Was a free show, but still, that's a impressive number.
It was a good crowd too! I'd say 80% wrestling fans, which is a lot considering how open to random spectators the event was. Was a shame a lot of family types left inside of the first 2 matches as they couldn't see anything - real surprised to see them setting up their usual ring, rather than something that could be raised to a more appropriate height.

*outside shows are weird. The crowd noise didn't travel from one side of the ring to the other. I only heard one person shouting 'MARTIN!'

*Noam Dar's match was too short.

*Still love Ryan Smile. If he really retires at the end of the year like he said, I hope he stays on as a mouthpiece.

*I don't understand Viper. She's got a great look, like she's meant to be a big bruiser, but she's so slow - I'm not sure if it's a fitness level thing or she's working at half speed like I see new guys doing it in their first proper matches.

*Toni Storm will be the number 1 woman on the scene within a year. (although who would that be currently? Kay Lee Ray? Don't fight the dudes, Toni)

*Bubblegum is still the best at connecting with a crowd. Always a pleasure.

*It was amazing to see wrestling treated with respect by a city council. The sound kept cutting out, but I think they said the guy who did the national anthem had won Britain's Got Talent(?)

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:49 am

Oh man, Rev Pro has booked AJ Styles vs. Jushin Liger for night two in Reading. That's me sold then.

Koss

Post by Koss » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:31 pm

I've got my tickets to the Manchester show, can't wait. I've fallen in love with Progress (your guide, Robareid was a great help) and I hope this is the start of bigger things for them.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks man, glad it has been helpful. As good as they are now, it really does feel that they're on the brink of something even more special. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time at the Manchester show.