The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
samptime

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by samptime » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:13 am

cheapshot wrote:
themib wrote:
Padje wrote:What's the goss on Ospreay no longer working for PCW? He mentioned it on twitter some time back, saying it was a shame, but that's the way things go. Anyone know?
Apparently he asked for a pay rise because he was moving house, and said he justified it with the buzz he's generated elsewhere, and Fludder turned him down, so Ospreay's no longer working for PCW.

Some other recent news - Austin Aries is replacing Ethan Carter III on the Southside 5th Anniversary Show on October 24th (and rather conveniently, Rosita got on the show as well), and IPW:UK booked a match I didn't know I wanted to see for September 27th - Bobby Lashley vs. Tommy End.
100% confirm this regarding Ospreay - but to add a bit more context: Will agreed a year of dates at X amount wage. Two shows in from 12 wanted 40% pay rise. 'if you think I'm worth it you will pay it''. Bad form really from Will.
Real shame that. Loved watching Ospreay in PCW but I agree it's bad form from him. Interesting info though.

samptime

Post by samptime » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Pretty excited about the PCW/ROH shows. Joey Hayes/Jay Lethal could be the match of the weekend. Mastiff/Cole should a barn-burner too.

Got the Saturday off work, so think I'll get a hotel for the weekend and go all out.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:07 pm

I remembered to get my ticket for Southside's 5th Anniversary show in Stevenage next week, very solid card for them, with a fairly unique main event...

*DOUBLE LADDER MATCH FOR THE SOUTHSIDE SPEED KING CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE QUEEN OF SOUTHSIDE CHAMPIONSHIP: The Righteous Army (Jimmy Havoc (Speed King c) & Kay Lee Ray (QoS c)) vs. El Ligero & Nixon Newell
*SOUTHSIDE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Joseph Conners (c) vs. Stixx
*SOUTHSIDE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Second City Collective (Damian Dunne & Ryan Smile) (c) vs. Robbie X & X-Pac
*Austin Aries vs. Will Ospreay
*London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) vs. The Magnums (Chris Walker & Dick Riley)
*Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee vs. The Hunter Brothers (Jim Hunter & Lee Hunter)
*NUMBER ONE CONTENDERS FOUR WAY: Mark Andrews vs. Martin Kirby vs. Morgan Webster vs. Pete Dunne
*Drew Galloway vs. Tyler Bate
*Rosita vs. Toni Storm

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:27 pm

How good is Joseph Conners? I've seen very little of him but for a promotion with as much talent as Southside to put the strap on him I assume he must be at least good.

themib

Post by themib » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:32 pm

He's pretty bland at times, and the joke is that he's the third most over person in his own stable, but he gets the heat that the promotion wants. Still, being the leader of a stable that has Jimmy Havoc and Kay Lee Ray in it...

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I saw Conners against James Davis in Sheffield last week and he was definitely dull there, plus he came across as he was playing pro wrestler. He was much better on the prior Sheffield show I went to, but that was in a tag match, with more exciting opponents (El Ligero & Robbie X) and they did a lot of around the ring brawling.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 pm

So are the PCW/ROH shows going to be an exclusive PCW release? Or have there been any hints that some of the stuff may show up on ROH TV?

DrHero

Post by DrHero » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:So are the PCW/ROH shows going to be an exclusive PCW release? Or have there been any hints that some of the stuff may show up on ROH TV?
IIRC when they ran it last year it was all PCW exclusive so odds are it'll be the same this year.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for the response.

Wasn't too sure how they'd treat those shows, considering the ballpark show with NJPW ended up on the weekly TV. They haven't made much noise in the US about their relationship with PCW, so I assumed that it was probably more for the UK audience.

Benno

Post by Benno » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Yeah they’re very much PCW booked shows with ROH talent on.

I don’t think those booking PCW have too much ROH product knowledge - the shows last year never really felt like ROH vs PCW shows at any point, especially with some of the weird matches like Brodus Clay vs Mike Elgin. We’ll probably never get full ROH shows over here again so you have to accept this as being about as good as we’ll get.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:53 am

Benno wrote:Yeah they’re very much PCW booked shows with ROH talent on.

I don’t think those booking PCW have too much ROH product knowledge - the shows last year never really felt like ROH vs PCW shows at any point, especially with some of the weird matches like Brodus Clay vs Mike Elgin. We’ll probably never get full ROH shows over here again so you have to accept this as being about as good as we’ll get.
Booking 4 shows over one weekend with the same talent, while being mindful of jobbing politics (on both sides) is going to stunt it more than, say, one massive Rev Pro show with an entire card of marquee matches.

I still like seeing all the lads in one place.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:11 am

Fear and Loathing 8 is officially sold out

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:35 pm

I've always said that PCW and ROH are a bad fit for each other. SWE would have been a far better fit.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:05 am

Drew Galloway cancelled his booking here in Denmark (a show i was going to), citing travel issues as the problem. Then wrestled a show in Glasgow on the same night. It's really weird because he's been advertised for both the Denmark show and the Glasgow show for quite some time, so he must have known that he was double booked. But he cited these travel issues as why he cancelled his Denmark booking some 6 hours before showtime.

This is the second time he cancelled a booking in Denmark, after also doing so for an EVOLVE show earlier in the year. Needless to say he was stripped of his Danish Heavyweight Title, as well as his UEWA title that he had just won the night before in Germany.

I don't know who are in the wrong here. I'm only talking with the danish representatives, who says that Galloway are a really nice guy in person, but they think that he's being really unprofessional in this situation and think it's very weird why such a nice guy would pull a move like this.

samptime

Post by samptime » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Padje wrote:
Benno wrote:Yeah they’re very much PCW booked shows with ROH talent on.

Booking 4 shows over one weekend with the same talent, while being mindful of jobbing politics (on both sides) is going to stunt it more than, say, one massive Rev Pro show with an entire card of marquee matches.

I still like seeing all the lads in one place.
Yeah this is a very valid point. With the politics involved and the 4 shows, its doesn't help PCW but I still enjoyed the PCW/ROH shows last year. Booking wasn't perfect but still some very good matches. Adam Cole looked superb last year, and thought Elgin worked hard on the shows too. Hopefully this years show will be entertaining - just cool it to see the all ROH's guy, and also the local talent is good at PCW. Some real solid hands.