The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Padje

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by Padje » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 am

Looks like Grado dropped his knees on Bram's head and chest. Wait for the last replay.

Padje

Post by Padje » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:38 am

I've seen vague mentions of it around twitter, but does anyone know what happened with Team Single in PCW friday night?

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:36 pm

I was there live and they basically did an uncooperative looking squash match that admittedly did fool a lot of people.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:17 pm

You kind of had to know that Bodom had heat with a lot of the PCW locker room the last time he was there (Ligero in particular was massively pissed off with him), so the match played off on that. Definitely a work, given Bodom and Hendricks surely wouldn't have taken the booking if they knew they were getting pounded "for real".

Friday's show was good, but a bit weird at the same time. Mastiff/Joe fell pretty flat after the fans had their fill with Kris Travis' return, and we got the super political finish. Lionheart/Rockstar Spud wasn't over at all. Dar/Galloway was very good, but I heard people claim it was the best match they've ever seen in PCW, which honestly surprised me.

reDRagon were great as well against Joey and Martin, and I saw them yesterday as well for IPW:UK in Tonbridge, where they had the second good match DND have ever had (the other was one they had near Croydon last year with the Coffeys). Bad Bones and Jimmy Havoc had a good TLC match mired by run-ins and the involvement of a guy representing storyline matchmaker Vince Russo - Havoc won. Russo's coming back at the end of September to work a 5 on 5 tag match.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 am

I didn't think it was a great idea to have Mastiff work twice in one night, even though it made sense from the storyline perspective that Joanna Rose was continuing to stack the deck against him. The match had a good finishing stretch before the DQ, but the middle portion was largely Joe going through his trademark spots with no comeback teases from Mastiff. As you said, it also didn't help that it had to follow Travis' return match which was super heated and was the highlight of the night for me.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm

This weekend is Fight Club Pro (a promotion I've wanted to attend for a while, but I never fancied a Friday night trip up to Wolverhampton), a couple of HOPE Wrestling shows, ICW's last Edinburgh show for this run, and IPW:UK running their bar show in Chatham, with a live SummerSlam screening afterwards. Seems few options, but I've seen quieter weekends.

EDIT: Turns out the SummerSlam screening at IPW:UK got cancelled, but at least the wrestling show is still on.

And also there's Attack Pro Wrestling in Cardiff, another promotion I'd love to check out one day.

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

themib wrote:This weekend is Fight Club Pro (a promotion I've wanted to attend for a while, but I never fancied a Friday night trip up to Wolverhampton), a couple of HOPE Wrestling shows, ICW's last Edinburgh show for this run, and IPW:UK running their bar show in Chatham, with a live SummerSlam screening afterwards. Seems few options, but I've seen quieter weekends.

EDIT: Turns out the SummerSlam screening at IPW:UK got cancelled, but at least the wrestling show is still on.

And also there's Attack Pro Wrestling in Cardiff, another promotion I'd love to check out one day.
What did you think of Fight Club? It's one of my regulars, although I was at a wedding and missed this one.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm

It's a pretty unique atmosphere with the big fence surrounding the ring, and the fans are hella into it. I'd harbour its location is stopping it from being as big as it deserves to be, and I'd think a streaming service would totally benefit them - with so many options out there, it's kinda hard to keep up if they're only doing DVDs.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:30 pm

themib wrote:It's a pretty unique atmosphere with the big fence surrounding the ring, and the fans are hella into it. I'd harbour its location is stopping it from being as big as it deserves to be, and I'd think a streaming service would totally benefit them - with so many options out there, it's kinda hard to keep up if they're only doing DVDs.
The dvds seem to be on a limited run too. I've been after the Indypendence day DVD for years (Danielson vs McGuinness vs Aries) which I believe was also run by Trent Seven, but no luck. A streaming service would be great to help promote FCP around the UK, as it's pretty clear it genuinely offers something unique - like a seedier PROGRESS.

The location keeps fans away, but the cost down. My first Fight Club Pro show I saw Prince Devitt and Johnny Gargano and the ticket was only a fiver! It would be three times that in Birmingham.

January's (or February, maybe) show was crazy with how many people they got in the place to see the American Wolves take on The Hunters, Mark Andrews vs Mastiff and a returning Spud. It's not allowed to be that overcrowded again, but the full scale TIPTON chant was worth it.

Wait until Christmas and they might run a show in a curry house again.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I'd love to see some sort of British Wrestling Network pop up. Places like FCP, SWE, NGW, IPW:UK, NWA:FN, 4FW... probably don't have enough buzz to make a streaming service worthwhile, but if you managed to combine all of them (or at least a handful of them) into one service it'd really grab a fair amount of attention.

Oli Court
VOW Staff Member

Post by Oli Court » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Fight Club Pro definitely has a cool and unique atmosphere, I've only been to one show but I had a good time, it does come across as 'Midlands PROGRESS' which is a good thing IMO. If they ran inner city Birmingham I'd be much more inclined to go, but Wolverhampton is a little more awkward to attend.

I'm a big fan of a lot of the wrestlers based in the Midlands, and it would be great for that scene to have a major promotion on the scale of PROGRESS in London, PCW in the North and ICW in Scotland. When those guys come to PROGRESS it always amuses me just how un-over they are (crickets for Damien Dunne at Chapter 20, not much initial support for the Hunter Brothers either), so more mainstream attention would be great for them.

That mainstream attention could come from a streaming service, and that leap from in-house DVDs to a VOD service is something that is now almost essential for these local promotions to gain a wider, national (and international) audience. I don't know if FCP even want to expand to that size yet, but their product seems like it would have the potential and appeal to make that jump in the future.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:57 pm

I was hoping Ryan Smile would find himself in the Natural Progression series.

I was talking with a wrestler not too long ago. He told me places in Birmingham are asking £6000 for a weekend night. The Kamikaze Pro show in Gatecrasher was a great location, very PCW-esque, but a nicer, better looking club. The cost means it's unlikely to happen more than once a year, but I'm hopeful.

The cost of running in Birmingham is the difference between a £15 standing ticket to PCW with all the ROH lads or a £15 seated/standing ticket at Kamikaze's next show with Magnus and Mickie James (obviously I'll do both though)

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:35 pm

PCW have had to move tomorrow's free show in Blackpool indoors to the Empress Ballroom (the same venue NXT are using in December), as there is a 70% chance of rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Couple of questions for those who follow the UK scene a little closer...

Does anyone know if there's truth to Zack Sabre Jr. saying he's moving to California? Or is that just playing to the Reseda crowd? It certainly seems like between his Japan commitments and his increased presence in places like PWG and EVOLVE, it might make a lot of sense.

What are people's thoughts on guys like Joel Redmond & Martin Stone? I wasn't too familiar with them prior to coming to NXT, and while they never really got much of a chance to shine, I thought some of their leaked promos were pretty solid. Seems like they're fairly regular around the UK scene, but guys like Ospreay, Scurll, Haskins & Havoc seem to be the bigger names at the moment. Where do most people see those kinds of guys in the pecking order?

EDIT: I see that Stone pretty much worked exclusively in the US in 2015, so maybe that's why I haven't seen his name pop up much on the UK scene. Doh.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:16 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:Couple of questions for those who follow the UK scene a little closer...

Does anyone know if there's truth to Zack Sabre Jr. saying he's moving to California? Or is that just playing to the Reseda crowd? It certainly seems like between his Japan commitments and his increased presence in places like PWG and EVOLVE, it might make a lot of sense.
I don't know how much truth there is to it. But it certainly seems like a smart move financially for him, and for NOAH. It has to be cheaper to fly him in from California than from England, not to mention that the trip would be shorter. Question is which company helped him get a work visa/green card?