The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
cheapshot

The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by cheapshot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:50 am

Let's talk RevPro, PROGRESS, ICW, PCW and All Star etc...
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

saviorofstrongstyle

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

So with PROGRESS Chapter 20 coming up with Will Ospreay vs Jimmy Havoc, this has to be the moment Havoc loses the belt, right? I would love to see Ospreay continue the story line where he is scared and unable to hit the 630 from the top rope due to injuring his neck previously but is finally able to hit it in this match on Havoc for the win. Would be a cool long term booking pay off moment and the belt would finally be off Havoc.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 am

PROGRESS announced they're running Manchester December 6th at the Ritz. I am pretty sure this is the first time they're run outside of London.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:42 am

Yeah, I think this is the moment Havoc's reign finally comes to an end. I've said that once or twice before though, so who knows. I'll be fascinated to see where Havoc goes from here.

A group of us on the VoW team are contemplating starting a BritWres podcast, would there be much interest for something like that?

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:25 pm

I bought the Progress Strong Style tournament and really liked it. Felt like its own brand and not just a brand that tries to leech on whatever is hot, which is great.

I hated the axe stuff, but otherwise I'm pretty excited for that title match. Seems like it should be red hot.

AaronVonCool

Post by AaronVonCool » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Am I a bad person for kinda not liking Will Ospreay. I just don't get the dude, seems like every other flier out there.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:49 pm

What stuff have you seen of him?

AaronVonCool

Post by AaronVonCool » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:52 pm

All the PROGRESS stuff since Chapter 14 up until Chapter 19 Night 1. I loved the Havoc match from 17, but I think it's more because I just love Havoc.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 pm

I think his best stuff has been in RPW (and apparently SWE), that's where most people are raving about him from. If you check out his trilogy with Matt Sydal (the second and especially the third matches are the amazing ones, but they build on each other so it's best consumed as a trilogy) as well as his match with AJ Styles you may change your mind. 2 Unlimited vs. Ospreay & McCluskey is worth searching out too if you become a fan of his.

Also, I've heard he had an amazing Night 2 of Chapter 19, but I'm yet to get around to watching that yet.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 pm

It'd be crazy to give Ospreay the shot again only for him to come up short. Obviously the 630 finish has been foreshadowed, and I expect a reveal of his new mouthshield being a pre-emptive defense against being bottom rope curb stomped, but the odds actually being stacked slightly in Ospreay's favour with the London Riots out there to destroy any Regression that interfere, is usually a wrestling sign for the opposite happening.

I have faith that whatever the result PROGRESS know what they're doing and where they're going. Although I've just recalled the reveal of who was behind The Faceless, that I had to sit through live, so maybe not.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Robareid wrote: A group of us on the VoW team are contemplating starting a BritWres podcast, would there be much interest for something like that?
Used to love the $&M podcast with the late Stewart Allen and Moj. That was like 6-7 years ago when the scene was at a much lower ebb.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Robareid wrote: A group of us on the VoW team are contemplating starting a BritWres podcast, would there be much interest for something like that?
I would subscribe to that. With so many British wrestlers represented in BOLA at the end of Aug, that might be a time to capture wider interest.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Robareid wrote:I think his best stuff has been in RPW (and apparently SWE), that's where most people are raving about him from. If you check out his trilogy with Matt Sydal (the second and especially the third matches are the amazing ones, but they build on each other so it's best consumed as a trilogy) as well as his match with AJ Styles you may change your mind. 2 Unlimited vs. Ospreay & McCluskey is worth searching out too if you become a fan of his.

Also, I've heard he had an amazing Night 2 of Chapter 19, but I'm yet to get around to watching that yet.
I saw Ospreay against Zack Sabre Jr. for SWE in Sheffield, really fun match live, although it seemed more of a showcase for ZSJ's technical skills.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:50 pm

cheapshot wrote:PROGRESS announced they're running Manchester December 6th at the Ritz. I am pretty sure this is the first time they're run outside of London.
Not the best timing for me, as I'll probably be flying back from China the day before. :-/

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm

It's the first time they're running a Chapter show outside of London, although they have had Festival shows outside of London (Download in Leicestershire and Sonisphere in Hertfordshire) as well as running a joint academy show with IPW:UK in Kent.

Still big news to see them expanding though. To me they're doing a really good job of being cautious in not expanding too quickly and overstretching themselves with the possibility of losing their buzz, while still being positive and looking to grow (unlike what PWG often gets accused of though their contract situation makes it a different situation).