PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by themib » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am

Banks will be in Australia next month, and I presume while he's there, he'll head to New Zealand and handle the visa situation.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 pm

PROGRESS announced the eight women in next week's tournament, and it's a very good young group of talent, with five making their debuts, and only two having appeared on Chapter shows, with only one of them appearing on more than one.

*Alex Windsor
*Candyfloss
*Chakara
*Charlie Morgan
*Charli Evans
*Millie McKenzie
*Sierra Loxton
*Zoe Lucas

I have a feeling PROGRESS may want to cash in on the amazing performances McKenzie is putting on at Fight Club: PRO, and put her in there with Toni to try and steal the show.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:01 am

First match for Chapter 56 on October 29th is Aussie Open & Omari vs. Connor Mills & Never Say Die - Omari's PROGRESS debut and Aussie Open's main show debut.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Jinny is replacing Alex Windsor due to injury. I think Dahlia Black gets involved at some point to cost Jinny the tournament. Going with Millie to win it.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 am

Charli Evans is the winner of the women's tournament. Looks like an Australia vs Australia championship match.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Three very good matches in Loxton/McKenzie, Jinny/McKenzie and Jinny/Evans - £5 was a steal for this show, fun atmosphere, and the redevelopment of the Dome makes it feel more like the Garage used to. Hope PROGRESS do more shows like this.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

themib wrote:Three very good matches in Loxton/McKenzie, Jinny/McKenzie and Jinny/Evans - £5 was a steal for this show, fun atmosphere, and the redevelopment of the Dome makes it feel more like the Garage used to. Hope PROGRESS do more shows like this.
What a bargain!

cian68

Post by cian68 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

SSS16 in Alexandra Palace next year. I've never been to Progress and had my eye on Super Strong Style but less inclined now. Want to see a show in the Ballroom.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Second Chapter 56 match is WALTER vs. Wolfgang for the Atlas Title.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm

cian68 wrote:SSS16 in Alexandra Palace next year. I've never been to Progress and had my eye on Super Strong Style but less inclined now. Want to see a show in the Ballroom.
Business wise, it's the right risk to take. This is the kind of move some have said PWG should have done for BOLA if a bigger building was available for them. If Progress can draw a high numbered crowd in the Palace three days in a row then it's a great accomplishment. Selfishly however, I agree that it's not an exciting announcement for fans who don't regularly travel to the shows. That part of London isn't an interesting place to visit compared to Camden nor does that building capture the atmosphere of the Electric Ballroom, judging from the video of Chapter 55.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

The Ally Pally controversy seems uniquely European. Maybe it's because very few American promotions run in the middle of cities in the first place due to lack of good venues. Anyway if PROGRESS really is banking on becoming a BIG DEAL, I would go ahead and kiss goodbye to the Electric Ballroom anyway.

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Selfishly i'm not massively happy about the move. Hey, its great for progress, i get that.

The atmosphere of this years SSS16 was amazing, so loud. To have gone from what we had at that show when Travis won, to the lack of atmosphere at the last Palace show was a real let down. Whenever you hear people talking about Progress, one of the main things they will always mention is how the ballroom comes across so well that they want to go and watch a show there. I can't see that being something that comes from the bigger venue shows.

From a personal perspective the venue is a real pain in the backside to get to and from, which is not the biggest issue for one day. But really not great for three days in a row getting to and from a hotel as well as finding time to eat somewhere before and after, while getting to the venue early each day as there's no allocated seating (I'm assuming since there wasn't last time).

And as said above, alexandra palace is no camden, which is part of the appeal for staying for three days as there's tons to do as well as decent bars to go to right round the corner.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:13 am

From what I gathered online, the setup at Alexandra Palace was annoying for those not at the very front. And since a lot of people won't be able to get seats at the very front, that is a problem. I hope they fix the setup. SSS16 deserves a great atmosphere.

I went to SSS16 in 2016 and loved it a ton. Ballroom may be limited in capacity but stellar venue and fun, even when you're queueing outside and people walking around Camden wanna know what the hell it is the queue is for.

themib

Post by themib » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 am

Third match is British Strong Style (former champs Bate & Seven) vs. Sexy Starr (see what they did there) - David Starr & Jack Sexsmith.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Fourth match is the Women's Title match - Toni Storm defending against Charli Evans.