PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
DXvsNWO

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 am

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 am

The relationship with the WWE seems to be paying off.

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 am

It was an enjoyable show, but a lot of what makes PROGRESS is lost when you scale the crowd up. The Wembley announcement was super exciting, but I'm already worrying about it. WWE are helping out, but why wouldn't they want that dosh for themselves? Will there be a Takeover the night before? They're gonna need a bigger ring.

Speaking of rings, the usual one felt small yesterday. It can often be hard to see if you are at one of the corner post angles, but it's made worse when there are 5 people working for progress blocking the exact same part of the ring all at any one time. Big video camera, 3 smaller ones, and some guy filming on his phone as far as I can tell. So many people were just watching the big screen instead.

I guess the question of who would be allowed to face a NJPW guy was answered with another NJPW guy. Scurll's speech at the end about going away for a long time was curious. I had a look on cagematch and noticed he hasn't wrestled for NJPW (actually in japan) since june.

Reckon Ohno was scheduled as a 4th man in the Atlas match, only for the hurricane to scupper his travel. It can't be a coincidence that ICW announced him vs their champion at the exact time the atlas match was due to take place. That's the cue for the embargo to be lifted.

I asked earlier what happened to Pastor Eaver. I saw him walking around, so he's still with the company.

The rope broke in the Travis vs Pete match which led to an incredible spot where Trav had to go for a suplex from the top rather than the middle. Happenstance working into the match psychology.

Dunno what it's in reference to but someone shouted 'fuck you rapist' at one of the wrestlers in the 8 man scramble.

Callum_Leslie

Post by Callum_Leslie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:19 am

Padje wrote: Reckon Ohno was scheduled as a 4th man in the Atlas match, only for the hurricane to scupper his travel. It can't be a coincidence that ICW announced him vs their champion at the exact time the atlas match was due to take place. That's the cue for the embargo to be lifted.
Nope—and it was announced the night before.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm

PROGRESS just announced a one-night 8 woman tournament on October 2nd at The Dome in Tufnell Park, where the winner will challenge for the PROGRESS Women's Title at a future date. Should be a fun night depending on who they pick to be in it.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 pm

themib wrote:PROGRESS just announced a one-night 8 woman tournament on October 2nd at The Dome in Tufnell Park, where the winner will challenge for the PROGRESS Women's Title at a future date. Should be a fun night depending on who they pick to be in it.
Great decision. One of the best ways PROGRESS can set itself apart from the relative sameness of UK promotions is by having a strong women's division. The title tournament gave them a fair bit of urgency which was nice, but they actually have enough talent in the stable to probably do two matches on each chapter if they actually commit to it.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
themib wrote:PROGRESS just announced a one-night 8 woman tournament on October 2nd at The Dome in Tufnell Park, where the winner will challenge for the PROGRESS Women's Title at a future date. Should be a fun night depending on who they pick to be in it.
Great decision. One of the best ways PROGRESS can set itself apart from the relative sameness of UK promotions is by having a strong women's division. The title tournament gave them a fair bit of urgency which was nice, but they actually have enough talent in the stable to probably do two matches on each chapter if they actually commit to it.
Glen made a point recently that they're making it a point to prioritise doing stories for the women's division beyond getting title shots and what they've been doing to this point. This tournament would be a great chance for the likes of Candyfloss and Chakara to increase their standings, and expand the division beyond Toni/Dahlia/Jinny/Laura/whenever Martina shows up.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Don't really know where to put this but is anyone else having extra problems with Pivotshare recently? The only device I could get it working on is my phone and now that's having problems too. I just get a black screen when trying to play a video. Definitely the worst thing when trying to follow Brit Wres is all the biggest promotions use bloody Pivotshare.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I subbed to Highspots recently which also uses Pivotshare and I pretty much have to refresh every video at least 3 times while watching. Sometimes it stalls and changing the framerate works, other things I try and skip ahead and get the wheel of doom, and gotta refresh to get it to work again.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

themib wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:
Glen made a point recently that they're making it a point to prioritise doing stories for the women's division beyond getting title shots and what they've been doing to this point. This tournament would be a great chance for the likes of Candyfloss and Chakara to increase their standings, and expand the division beyond Toni/Dahlia/Jinny/Laura/whenever Martina shows up.
Super into this. Would love to see more from that "next tier" of upcoming UK female talent.

Just finished Ally Pally and the ring did seem small for the room. Great show overall, especially the Atlas title and main event, though the main suffered from some overuse of tropes and wish it would have been more focused on the actual wrestling between two guys who are tops in the world in my view atm. Pales in comparison to the SSS16 final. Still a great match and moment, though.

Interested in the Eddie Dennis turn, coming so soon after the James Davis one with the latter not necessarily having a ton of momentum on the heels of it. Don't know that Dennis has the offense necessary to convey a menacing heel even with his height, but we'll see. Almost think best thing you could do is team Davis and Dennis up. Btw wasn't Davis supposed to receive an Atlas title match? Isn't that what his match with Rob Lynch was for or did I miss something?

Wonder where BSS goes from here as they were utterly defeated.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

Watched the first half of the Ally Pally show last night. Maybe it came off better live than on tape, but I just didn't get that into it compared with many Chapters. Probably it was just a show that didn't suit me as I don't feel it for CC;, Scurll and ZSJ I think have had much better match ups than this and when someone is stapled in the head in the first minute of a match - again that doesn't feel like its for me. I'm hoping that I get into the Atlas match and others more when I catch up with the 2nd half in the next few days.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Ended up being way behind on PROGRESS after the G1 pretty much burned me out from wrestling for a good month. Just binged about 4-5 shows in a few days to catch up for Ally Pally.

The New York show was one of my favourite shows of the year whilst Chapter 54 was one of the worst PROGRESS shows this year. Pretty mixed bag.

Ally Pally was a good show and I agree about the rest of the people who have commented that the building/crowd felt weird. I thought the Brixton show came across better on tape that this one although I may be getting them confused as I was at Brixton but didn't travel down for this show.

Best match on the show was the ATLAS Title match by far whilst Pete vs Trav showed glimpses of being great, the overall fuckery killed it for me with the same distraction/save spots we have seen for 6 months. I wish they have a rubber match with no BBS interference so they can have the match we all know they can have. It pretty much sums up PROGRESS of me this year, they have all the tools to make it an amazing show but decide to fuck around and tarnish the overall end product.

As much as I have liked BSS in PROGRESS in tag matches, I would be a good time to give the a send off and move on. Individually they have been unreal but together in PROGRESS storyline they just don't do anything for me. I am going to Fight Club Pro next weekend and can't wait to see them at other shows but I just don't want to see them in PROGRESS anymore.

The rest of the show was good but not too many of the matches clicked at a higher level. I didn't like the Vicky Haskins angle at all in the Deathmatch.

I am very interested to see how the feel of the promotion changes as PROGRESS started booking completely new guys after Brixton and it felt super fresh until the WWE:UK and World of Sport TV really messed around with their booking.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I wonder what's gonna happen with Travis Banks. I believe his UK visa is up some time in November(if that is incorrect please feel free to let me know). Are they gonna take the title off of him in the next couple shows or are they gonna let him hold it for the few months when he is back in NZ?

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Think there's a lot of uncertainty at the moment after ally pally. Between that with travis, the hints that BSS aren't going to be about as much, there would certainly be a big gap at the top of the card to fill. Seemingly Walter is stepping up to a higher level with every show but not sure about anybody else.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 pm

I feel like they may be trying to push Eddie Dennis to the main event. I really hope they have another plan, because does anybody really want to see that? On top of BSS possibly on their way out and Trav's Visa there is also Lykos's injury. Considering the promotion has been built on BSS and CCK this is also a potential major problem.

One more random point I want to make is with all the problems Progress is having developing talent is there a reason James Drake and No Fun Dunne are being booked and Gabriel Kidd and Primate are not?