PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
wac

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by wac » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:58 pm

What are 5-10 must watch matches (besides anything from Chapter 21)?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 pm

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 am

Great times at Chapter 23 yesterday, Ospreay/Andrews was incredible, The Origin dominated and won both the Tag Titles and the Natural Progression Series 2 Trophy, Marty Scurll got even more villainous against Tommaso Ciampa... and this happened.

Ospreay vs. Gibson in Manchester on Sunday, though PROGRESS are having a meeting about it, most likely due to how Gibson won the NPS Trophy off Morgan Webster.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Damn it forgot the show was this weekend and spoiled myself by reading here. Oh well still overly hyped for it to go on demand progress.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

The main event for Sunday is now a 3 way - Will Ospreay defending against Zack Gibson and Morgan Webster, as PROGRESS management determined that Gibson got help from Nathan Cruz to illegally defeat Webster yesterday.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 am

themib

Post by themib » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Fourth match for this Sunday in Manchester is a doozy - former tag champs the Sumerian Death Squad against the team they felt cost them the titles, the London Riots.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:46 pm

SDS vs. London Riots is going to be incredible. Zack Gibson is going to get so much heating being a Liverpool FC supporter in Manchester as well. This show is really going to be insane.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Chapter 23 from Sunday is already up to watch on Demand PROGRESS. Three days is the new editing and upload record.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Match 5: Jack Gallagher & F.S.U. (Eddie Dennis & Mark Andrews) vs. The Origin (Dave Mastiff, El Ligero & Nathan Cruz)

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Jesus Christ. Jack Sexsmith. Screamed late night Channel 4 in the late nineties.

Gimps, Dildos, Jonny assisted mandible claws and sex offender chants.

What a pleasant introduction.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed Chapter 23, and much appreciated the speedy upload window. Andrews and Ospreay put on a hell of a show and I'm so angry at the Origin, which is precisely as it should be. Haskins winning made me very happy, though.

The ring breaking was a great moment from a kayfabe standpoint but I felt bad for the wrestlers. Now I understand why they test the ropes before a match, those ropes looked loose as all hell.

Brian

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Just finished Chapter 23 and it was a very good show. The two best match were Ospreay vs. Andrews which I gave ****1/4 and Webster vs. Zack Gibson which I gave **** and was easily the best Webster match I have ever seen. I don't think Gibson wins the belt this weekend but I think he is definitely a guy I could see winning the title in a few months.

Three way tag was very good as was Scurll vs. Ciampa and Haskins vs. Robinson. I thought all of them were in the ***1/4-***1/2 star range.

Walter vs. Rampage Brown was a good *** opener but nothing really crazy side from the turnbuckle breaking. I hope Walter becomes a regular and we actually get to see a match of his that goes longer then 8 minutes.

Overall a really good show but I felt like this was ultimately setting up Chapter 24 which looks PHENOMENAL on paper with Sabre Jr. vs. Ciampa, Ospreay vs. Webster vs. Gibson, London Riots vs. SDS, FSU and Gallagher vs. The Origin.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Rampage Brown vs. Marty Scurll added to the show. Should be a belter.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Have a day off from work so I decided to check out Progress based on Shoe recommendations and the twitter hype of their latest show. I was going to watch the Strong Style Tourney but decided to abort it after two matches and go straight to the latest show.

Big Daddy Walter vs. Rampage Brown

I thought this was an odd choice as an opener but it was a good hoss style battle. My favorite moment was when the rope broke on an Irish whip from Walter. This created a neat organic moment that really got over the size of the competitors. The guys improvised well and utilized some spots based off the broken rope. Fun opener. **3/4

Shen Woo vs. Damon Moser vs. Jack SexSmith

Generic comedy stuff with the most part with a prolonged spot of Smith having his bare ass on screen and getting a dildo stuck in it. The only clever spot to me was when Moser was in a submission move by Woo and Smith tapped resulting in Woo thinking he had won. The rest was stuff that I didn't enjoy. *

Paul Robinson vs. Mark Haskins

I really liked this match. THis was my first time seeing Robinson and he is pretty deplorable as a character spitting, rubbing his man region and whiping it on the back of Haskins and doing other dickish stuff on top. I liked the storyline of the match of Haskins going for his tricked out submissions and Robinson having a counter for each. The finish was especially awesome and really played off the storyline beforehand. ***1/2

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Marty Scurll

Ciampa doing the Windy City Classic and this show on consecutive days is pretty nuts. I have seen Scurll a few times now and while he is fine, there is something about his whole moniker as the villain that doesn't work for me. He is fine in the role but paled in comparison to someone like Robinson in the match before. This was worked with more of a hard hitting style and felt too drawn out. The finish was a nice bit of work with Scurll utilizing the situation that Ciampa caused and going back to Chicken Wing for the submission victory. **3/4

Sumerian Death Squad vs. The London Riots vs. The Origin

The tag "belts" Progress uses is pretty neat and definitely unique. I liked the openings of this with Origin having a sound gameplan of slowing things down and out cardio'ing their opponents. I also liked Tommy End kicking the match in a high gear by calling out their strategy as boring. The brawl and mayhem that resulted afterwards had some stuff that took too long to set up and some stuff that was cool. Origin getting the sneaky win to claim the titles surprised me and the Riots vs. Death Squad feud feels like one that Progress will build around for many months to come. ***

Zack Gibson vs. Flash Morgan Webster
"Turn the Page" as entrance music two matches in a row? I guess it is the Orgin stable song. This match suffered from card placement as both competitors felt like third rate versions of either spunky highflyers in Webster's case or devious heels in Gibson. Some of the arm work Gibson went for was interesting but it was too inconsistent overall. **

Mark Andrews vs. WIll Ospreay

This was certainly a well executed spotfest and the limb work in the opening wasn't too egregious that I was rolling my eyes on that facet in the end. Still, when working this stuff, I didn't feel any connection at all and was more mesmerized that most of these spectacular moves were executed correctly. Was it fun? sure. Do I think some people will really enjoy it? Absolutely. For me, it was a well done spotfest in 2015. ***1/4

Overall this was a good show and I think gave me a good vibe of what Progress can bring to the table overall with their pros/cons.