PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Ckkj14

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:I thought it was a pretty awful show apart from the opener to be fair. The main event was awful
Well Lykos got hurt, so there wasn't much to be done. I liked Jinny v Dahlia and thought the squash tag match was one of the best squash matches I've ever seen.
Wasn't aware of Lykos injury

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

Chapter 59 on Demand now. This was the snow show. Not watched it all yet but Adam Chase v Chris Ridgeway was very good for 2 youngsters. Ridgeway looks very good

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Ch.59 was decent considering the circumstances. Aussie Open vs Grizzled Young Vets was really, really good.

Never thought I would be someone to complain about this, but does anyone else think their are just too many kickouts in PROGRESS?

Seems like they are just setting out to have good matches rather than get people/moves over. For example..
► Show Spoiler
Probably being pedantic but it also showed in the main event as well although both guys did need protecting.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Chapter 59 was good. Tag match and Banks v Dennis were very good

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Empiresk wrote:Ch.59 was decent considering the circumstances. Aussie Open vs Grizzled Young Vets was really, really good.

Never thought I would be someone to complain about this, but does anyone else think their are just too many kickouts in PROGRESS?

Seems like they are just setting out to have good matches rather than get people/moves over. For example..
► Show Spoiler
Probably being pedantic but it also showed in the main event as well although both guys did need protecting.
I haven't watched in months but certainly part of the reason I've fallen off recently is the 'indie fatigue' where every match is an epic back and forth. PROGRESS certainly isn't egregious as say PWG when it comes to tiring the viewer with very samey indie style epics, but I do think they have slowly pivoted towards that direction over the years. That last Ospreay vs Havoc match where they crammed a deathmatch and a more traditional indie style into one match was when I first really noticed it. Ospreay kicked out of like half a dozen acid rainmakers. I do find the commentary style of yelling constantly over every match to make it seem important really tiring as well, it's a common indie trope but with a more story based promotion like PROGRESS I think it really hurts it. There's less variety on the cards recently as well, fewer comedy and squash matches overall. I think that's part of the average show being 3 hours as opposed to 2 or 2 and a half early on in their history.

I've been watching a lot of AAW recently and I think they do a great job of not letting their matches overstay their welcome. Very few of the matches go over 15 minutes and there's always of a good mix of young local talent and indie stars. OTT in Ireland do a real good job of having variety on their cards and keeping everything feeling brisk.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 am

So I just got the Highspots Network and I've been browsing around on it. I've been meaning to check out Progress for quite some time now and decided to give their Super Strong Style 16 from this year a shot. Only made it through the first night so far, but I am hooked.

Great atmosphere, ,hilarious crowd interaction, and the matches are really good. I am disappointed in myself that it's taken me this long to watch it!

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 pm

First two matches for Birmingham on the 14th...

*PROGRESS TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Grizzled Young Veterans (James Drake & Zack Gibson) (c) vs. Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate)
*Chris Brookes vs. Chris Ridgeway

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Three more for Birmingham...

*WWE UNITED KINGDOM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Pete Dunne (c) vs. Joseph Conners
*Will Ospreay vs. Adam Brooks
*Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) vs. Jimmy Havoc & Mark Haskins

And the first four for the Dome show on the 10th...

*NATURAL PROGRESSION SERIES 5 QUALIFYING MATCH: Connor Mills vs. Maverick Mayhew
*Bea Priestley vs. Millie McKenzie
*Amir Jordan vs. Strangler Davis
*Charli Evans vs. Nina Samuels

The first match for Chapter 62 in Camden on January 28th is WALTER vs. Timothy Thatcher for the Atlas Title.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Watched the first hour of Chapter 60 before and it might be the worst hour in wrestling history

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 am

Ckkj14 wrote:Watched the first hour of Chapter 60 before and it might be the worst hour in wrestling history
It was fantastic for the live crowd and watching it back I still enjoyed it about as much as I could hope to on a rewatch, but stuff like that is always gonna vary wildly in how people receive it I suppose.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:10 am

VilinskiKonjic wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:Watched the first hour of Chapter 60 before and it might be the worst hour in wrestling history
It was fantastic for the live crowd and watching it back I still enjoyed it about as much as I could hope to on a rewatch, but stuff like that is always gonna vary wildly in how people receive it I suppose.
The opener was far to long but I'd be happy never to see Jack Sexsmith again.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
VilinskiKonjic wrote:
The opener was far to long but I'd be happy never to see Jack Sexsmith again.
Sexsmith has had a good year, I've been a fan of a lot of what he's done, but I'd agree that the Coffey match really didn't click for me.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm

In a change to Sunday's card, Chris Brookes is now challenging Travis Banks for the PROGRESS World Championship, on the basis of his recent singles record. Chris Ridgeway will have a new opponent.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm

themib wrote:In a change to Sunday's card, Chris Brookes is now challenging Travis Banks for the PROGRESS World Championship, on the basis of his recent singles record. Chris Ridgeway will have a new opponent.
Wonder what the original plan was for Trav

I'm most excited for the Ospreay match. I love to see new match ups.

also, very pleased for Kip Sabian debuting at the Dome. Hope to see him on the chapter shows straight away.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Sunday's card is rounded out by Chris Ridgeway vs. Mark Andrews, and Charli Evans & Millie McKenzie vs. Bea Priestley & Nina Samuels.