PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by themib » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

So the show was sold well over capacity, TK Cooper dislocated his ankle, and the roster got stranded trying to get to Boston. The tour is cursed.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 am

themib wrote:So the show was sold well over capacity, TK Cooper dislocated his ankle, and the roster got stranded trying to get to Boston. The tour is cursed.
Some thoughts from last night. The crowd was one of the better NYC crowds of been to for indie shows with it being more energetic than an Evolve show and less full of guys trying to get themselves over than ROH shows. The show was definitely oversold, but I didn't feel that it was the dangerous situation some have claimed it was. The real issue was the heat in the building which was no doubt exacerbated by the size of the crowd. It was a good 10-15 degree hotter in the building than outside and I went through six bottles of water during the show just to stay hydrated. Early in the show, they ran out of water for a short while which was quite shocking and frustrating. Needless to say, probably never going back to that venue again.

Match quality wise, it was a very fun show from top to bottom with a a good variety of stuff from women's wrestling to hardcore with Havoc/Janella to a great spotfest with Andrews, Haskins, Theory and Lee to a terrific main event which was easily the match of the night. The Cooper injury was a scary moment since I couldn't see what actual happened and they didn't announce what the injury was right away. Several of the wrestlers carried him out which was a nice moment during a really scary situation.

Definitely recommend watching the show when it becomes available. Make sure to blast the AC while watching.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 am

THAT ROOM WAS HOT AF. People were passing out. I was dying. But the show was damned great. Would do it all again.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 am

mlev76 wrote:
themib wrote:So the show was sold well over capacity, TK Cooper dislocated his ankle, and the roster got stranded trying to get to Boston. The tour is cursed.
Some thoughts from last night. The crowd was one of the better NYC crowds of been to for indie shows with it being more energetic than an Evolve show and less full of guys trying to get themselves over than ROH shows. The show was definitely oversold, but I didn't feel that it was the dangerous situation some have claimed it was. The real issue was the heat in the building which was no doubt exacerbated by the size of the crowd. It was a good 10-15 degree hotter in the building than outside and I went through six bottles of water during the show just to stay hydrated. Early in the show, they ran out of water for a short while which was quite shocking and frustrating. Needless to say, probably never going back to that venue again.

Match quality wise, it was a very fun show from top to bottom with a a good variety of stuff from women's wrestling to hardcore with Havoc/Janella to a great spotfest with Andrews, Haskins, Theory and Lee to a terrific main event which was easily the match of the night. The Cooper injury was a scary moment since I couldn't see what actual happened and they didn't announce what the injury was right away. Several of the wrestlers carried him out which was a nice moment during a really scary situation.

Definitely recommend watching the show when it becomes available. Make sure to blast the AC while watching.
This, all of this.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

First three matches for Sunday's Electric Ballroom show are as follows...

FSU vs. James Drake & Zack Gibson
Chris Brookes vs. Trent Seven
Kid Lykos vs. Tyler Bate

For the last two, the winners of those matches get to pick the stipulations for the British Strong Style/#CCK Tag Team Title match at Alexandra Palace.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:56 am

Dahlia Black vs. Jinny in a #1 Contenders Match on Sunday, winner challenges Toni Storm at Alexandra Palace.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 am

Doug Williams vs. Timothy Thatcher and Connor Mills vs. Strangler Davis added to Sunday.

Matt Riddle vs. Timothy Thatcher vs. WALTER for the Atlas Title added to Alexandra Palace.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:08 pm

First non-title addition to Alexandra Palace on Sunday is an open challenge from Zack Sabre Jr.

Also, check out the YouTube page for three very interesting videos from Flash Morgan Webster, which I think either hint at a heel turn, a title win... or both.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 pm

The Zack Sabre Jr open challenge is interesting. Given that Havoc came back this time last year, and we've already had unannounced appearances/matches by Finn Balor/Aleister Black this year, one would expect something that really rocks the building on the biggest PROGRESS show of the year. But the politics of a NJPW guy facing a WWE guy make match ups against an nxt guy highly unlikely (right? right??)

Flash Morgan Webster has good reason to answer the challenge, given Zack injured him in the CWC qualifiers last year. But with that story, surely you'd announce it in advance?

If a progress regular's unlicensed music hits at that moment it will suck the air out of the room. Gotta be someone known to PROGRESS fans who is bigger than ZSJ (otherwise the it would be ZSJ answering that man's challenge)

Who you guys got?

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm actually thinking it'll be James Davis given the new solo push. I've also thought about maybe Rampage Brown answering. He hasn't been in PROGRESS since January, would be an enormous pop and it's a totally fresh matchup.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:I'm actually thinking it'll be James Davis given the new solo push. I've also thought about maybe Rampage Brown answering. He hasn't been in PROGRESS since January, would be an enormous pop and it's a totally fresh matchup.
I imagine it would depend on Rampage Brown being able to use I Will Be Heard. Otherwise it would be rather pointless.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Making my way through my BritWres backlog, was I the only one let down by the SSS16 finale? Outside of ZSJ/Banks and Riddle/Bate, nothing felt essential. It took forever to actually get going, the Harvey/KLR match was plain bad, and the last match really failed to step up.

It may be because I was spoiled, and the atmosphere was awesome, but I don't think a single match can survive 4 ref bumps. It could've dialed it back just a bit and been like Zayn/Neville with maybe one ref bump, one screwy nearfall, but it just went way too far with the extracurricular activity.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:56 am

Haskins vs. Havoc is now a DEATH MATCH.

Padje

Post by Padje » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am

We've got the full card now. There'll be a preshow match or two, probably to get your Chuck Mambos and that on the bill.

Hang about, what the hell has happened to Pastor William Eaver? Has he been seen since the marathon appearence?

I expect a surprise match during the show like Dobby had at Brixton last year. Jinny would make the most sense.

Hagan

Post by Hagan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Been on a mad binge so I can watch the Ally Pally show in a timely fashion. Starting with the Night 1 of SSS16 last week, I just got through the NYC card. BSS is my tag team of the year right now and this storyline with CCK has been great.

Honestly, just my favorite promotion right now.

Addendum: Ch. 55 looks like a Show of the Year contender. Great culmination of a lot of well-built feuds. Curious if Toni can get a good match out of Black. Love Dahlia and the SPPT but she can be a little hit and miss in the ring.