PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Garuda

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Jesus, finally caught up. I've watched all of Progress front to back. O_O

What a fucking amazing ride. So many new favorite wrestlers, matches, angles, title reigns... I'm very glad to have seen it all. I love PROGRESS.

I will say, especially having shotgunned all the heel Progress runs at once, the British Strong Style antics of current vintage are ultra obnoxious and a real turn-off. And the new entrance themes have had a tremendously negative impact on the presentation, although if anything I'm surprised they were able to go so long playing uncensored unlicensed music. Maybe its burnout but I'm a little down on the most recent few shows, so I hope things rebound in the short term.

Also I should probably not watching anymore wrestling until the G1. I've BritWres'd myself half to death.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Congrats on finishing the journey of catching up, Garuda! Big achievement.

I wondered if BSS not being very magnetic as heels was just my general wrestling malaise or whether anybody else felt that way. Feels weird because I do really enjoy all three guys as individual wrestlers but this heel run was really worn thin for me. Havoc was so fucking captivating. Marty was an entertaining little shit. The Origin were frustrating but in the best possible way, the way that makes you go "one day these assholes will get it, and it'll be so good". I never didn't want to see an Origin match. With BSS I'm like "this'll probably be good but I'm just not feeling it".

Also feels weird because it goes back to this "you're not supposed to like them, dummy" talking point that always crops up, and I can't quite word how this feels different. Like yeah, you're not supposed to love heels. But you are supposed to love to (hate?)watch them. BSS doesn't quite capture that for me. It's extra odd because Pete as a heel in other promotions has done that for me. I don't know, man.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Yeah Marty's was interesting for me. It had a lot of great matches kind of ruined by lame finishes, but it ended up working for me in the long run. Initially I hated it, but over time I was really into his heel act and his title run. For him they worked very very hard to strip all the likability away from him and I did think the obnoxious finishes helped him get over as a pure heel, especially after he won it back from Eaver. It did take some work though.

Like you said I LOVE all three of BSS, (especially Trent Seven), but their run on top has left me kind of cold. The matches are good but the ultra blatant interference.... Havoc made it work and Marty at least didn't have flunkies. They've just gone only to that well for them over and over, and maybe because PROGRESS is pretty much all about long heel runs it just needs a different flavor of it right now.

Also I'd argue the company could use a long face run. Ligero's and Ospraey's did a lot for the company and title where they just defended the belt schmozzlessly in great matches for a while. Maybe Haskins' run getting cut short is to blame because we never got that babyface palate cleanser. IDK who the face would be for them right now, be it Havoc, Haskins, Banks, or someone else. Neither seems like a slam-dunk fit, although the latter two could work.

In any case I feel like a jerk absolutely loving this shit front to back and then only talking about the stuff I didn't like. Wrestling fan's curse I guess. I'm not sure how to articulate it but I have been absolutely floored by Progress. It doesn't just deliver it bonds you emotionally to all of it. Never seen anything else like it.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Fun times yesterday at Chapter 50...
► Show Spoiler
First match for Chapter 51 in Birmingham on July 9th is a three way with FSU, The London Riots and War Machine!

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Second match for Birmingham is Jimmy Havoc vs. the debuting Jigsaw!

The Boston area show on August 13th will be in Somerville, Mass. at the Arts of the Armory, as part of a double header with Beyond Wrestling. Only 300 tickets are available.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:56 am

A few delays due to the show workload - Chapter 50 will go up later this week, as Jon was the only one of the three owners who was able to go to Cologne, and he's the one who edits the shows. The full Cologne show won't go up for a couple of months, but Jinny/Laura and Bird/WALTER will be up sooner as the related title matches are happening soon.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Next two Birmingham matches are Morgan Webster vs. Chief Deputy Dunne, and Mark Haskins vs. Mike Bird.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 am

Bird vs Haskins is a fantastic match for both guys. Bird is really raising his stock and this is a next tier guy for him to go against. Haskins meanwhile needs a big performance and a strong win which he'll get from this.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Mike Bird vs. WALTER from last weekend in Cologne. A LOT of heavy chops!

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm

► Show Spoiler

Four way in Manchester on July 23rd with Chuck Mambo, Chief Deputy Dunne, Jack Sexsmith and Zack Gibson.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 am

Riddle vs Walter was intense from the start and didn't stop. Felt like murder.

the Anti-Fun police as a franchise is such a great idea for Damian. I see Gibson AND Mambo joining at the next show, consistent with Damo's ability in every other fed to corrupt babyfaces.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:56 am

Added to New York is a number one contenders Atlas match between Donovan Dijak and Timothy Thatcher...
► Show Spoiler

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm

themib wrote:Added to New York is a number one contenders Atlas match between Donovan Dijak and Timothy Thatcher...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

British Strong Style discuss a few PROGRESS issues...
► Show Spoiler

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:08 pm

#CCK respond...
► Show Spoiler