PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:01 am

Gotta love wXw for being so professional and open about this sort of thing (even if the mystery of Shane Strickland remains). It does suck, but thankfully the scene is filled with great talent who can fill these spots at such a short notice. At this point as a fan you just have to roll with the times, sympathize with the bookers and know that the future is uncertain. Buy a ticket to go see the unsigned guys, be pleasantly surprised if the contracted talent end up on the show.

Freedom's Road #1 is going to be on Demand on Thursday.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:05 am

Empiresk wrote:Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate and Trent Seven officially pulled from wXw on Saturday.

I assume it is inevitable they will be all be pulled from PROGRESS on Sunday. Another potential card ruined by WWE. I really do fear for them at Mania weekend now.

Looking forward to seeing Kings of the North having seen people rave about them in OTT and they have been announced against the London Riots who have a great track record against debuting teams such as War Machine and Ringkampf.
The Riots as PROGRESS gatekeepers is the best thing for them and the company. There aren't enough tag teams anywhere for a proper division, so the mainstay on/off champs always feel tired after a while (see: The Hunters in the promotions they frequent. They get the belts, they lose the belts. Then what? They go for the belts again)
suplexberry wrote:Gotta love wXw for being so professional and open about this sort of thing (even if the mystery of Shane Strickland remains). It does suck, but thankfully the scene is filled with great talent who can fill these spots at such a short notice. At this point as a fan you just have to roll with the times, sympathize with the bookers and know that the future is uncertain. Buy a ticket to go see the unsigned guys, be pleasantly surprised if the contracted talent end up on the show.

PROGRESS will be alright. We might see less cards announced now, ala Unboxing (not advertising BSS for their next show and then having them just turn up unannounced makes them look in control). Their BRAND is the hottest thing going. I can't see Rev Pro, whose hook is Dream Matches, booking any of these lads for the York Hall shows in the future, mind.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 am

Padje wrote:
suplexberry wrote:Gotta love wXw for being so professional and open about this sort of thing (even if the mystery of Shane Strickland remains). It does suck, but thankfully the scene is filled with great talent who can fill these spots at such a short notice. At this point as a fan you just have to roll with the times, sympathize with the bookers and know that the future is uncertain. Buy a ticket to go see the unsigned guys, be pleasantly surprised if the contracted talent end up on the show.

PROGRESS will be alright. We might see less cards announced now, ala Unboxing (not advertising BSS for their next show and then having them just turn up unannounced makes them look in control). Their BRAND is the hottest thing going. I can't see Rev Pro, whose hook is Dream Matches, booking any of these lads for the York Hall shows in the future, mind.
RevPro will be fine. Them not getting into bed with FloSlam will help them a lot I think, and Quildan is very good at scheduling his shows at a time to ensure he has the talent to use (see: Global Wars last year, Epic Encounter this year). Unless an NXT taping magically ends up on the same day, they should be alright.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Matt Riddle will defend the PROGRESS Atlas Championship in a double title match at CZW's 18th Anniversary Show on February 11th against David Starr, who will defend the wXw Shotgun Championship. Either Riddle wins wXw's title (and he is heading there in March), or it will be a double count-out or DQ, as I can't see Starr winning a PROGRESS Title when he hasn't featured for them yet.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:32 pm

themib wrote:Matt Riddle will defend the PROGRESS Atlas Championship in a double title match at CZW's 18th Anniversary Show on February 11th against David Starr, who will defend the wXw Shotgun Championship. Either Riddle wins wXw's title (and he is heading there in March), or it will be a double count-out or DQ, as I can't see Starr winning a PROGRESS Title when he hasn't featured for them yet.
I don't think Progress handle the title matches elsewhere as well as they could. They really leave it in no doubt that the title will be retained.

I assume Riddle wins (very possible) or Janela costs Starr for a DQ.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 pm

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 pm

themib wrote:
Would love to see Timothy Thatcher come to Progress & have Ringkampf as a top heel stable. The cold & calculated foreigners who have come to take the fun out of Progress. Man, that would be great & could provide some intriguing storylines.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:
themib wrote:
Would love to see Timothy Thatcher come to Progress & have Ringkampf as a top heel stable. The cold & calculated foreigners who have come to take the fun out of Progress. Man, that would be great & could provide some intriguing storylines.
Thatcher's confirmed for the March Freedom's Road tapings. Progress is a little heavy on heel stables right now, but given that BSS may be very sparsely available going forward and Ringkampf seem like they won't be around too often as a full unit either, I have no objections.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Interesting match here, with two heel teams going at it.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:08 pm

The final match is the Thunderbastard Match, with eight men involved... but PROGRESS are keeping it a secret who's in it. So it's ThunderBoxing Live!

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:02 pm

So I'm assuming at least pete is still going to be on the show then, surely if not they would've announced it by now. So they were pulled from wxw because of the floslam connection?

SuitWilliams

Post by SuitWilliams » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm

I have a tiny hope that since the Thunderbastard is a big mystery, maaaaaybe Haskins comes back and wins it. That is a pipe dream though, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wasn't in it.
----------
These are things I do.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SuitWilliams

PWPonderings reviews: http://www.pwponderings.com/author/suit-williams/

Voices of Wrestling reviews: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/author ... lwilliams/

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Blueisthecolour wrote:So I'm assuming at least pete is still going to be on the show then, surely if not they would've announced it by now. So they were pulled from wxw because of the floslam connection?
My understanding is that he'll be in the States Saturday, but they're expecting him back in time. Currently it seems like the plan is to go ahead with the assumption he'll be at the show.

Also have a hunch that the mystery Thunderbastard is down to WWEUK guys being in the match but they don't want to have to say "well all these guys couldn't make it" so if they're not there, they'll just be subbed out for some other folks and noone will be any the wiser. Can see them lining up one big surprise though, maybe Strickland, one of the wXw lads or another debut.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:04 am

I'm under the impression that Dunne will be there, PROGRESS can't afford to false advertise talent.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

They always book Thunderbastards really well so that every elimination, every entrance and the order is carefully decided and draws on history, so I hope for their sake they either didn't book at all around the BSS guys or that there's a flight in existence that gets them there on time. It's probably my favorite thing PROGRESS does, because it's unique and they've done such a solid job with the last three, so I dearly hope it all goes to plan. It's not an easy match to book on the fly or alter if needed.