PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Brian

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by Brian » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:14 am

Just finished watching Chapter 22 last night. Awesome show. Really excited for the next chapter. Progress has really become a must watch promotion for me. There are spoilers in my little review but I gave three matches ****+ and the other matches are good too so definitely check this show out.
► Show Spoiler

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Brian wrote:Just finished watching Chapter 22 last night. Awesome show. Really excited for the next chapter. Progress has really become a must watch promotion for me. There are spoilers in my little review but I gave three matches ****+ and the other matches are good too so definitely check this show out.
I have to agree with you on Progress becoming must watch. It just feels completely fresh as a product and has great elements of long term subtle story telling and premium fresh talent (at least from my perspective being a Canadian). I even enjoy the comedy. Comedy can either go really well (New Day, Yano) or really not (Kingdom) but for the time being I've enjoyed the Geezers shenanigans. I have to agree with your 3 four star matches. Although me personally I thought the Ciampa and Haskins was match of the night and a big contender for me personally for my Match of the Month. The change of pace from the first 5 minutes to the rest of the match was something else. IT just felt like an awesome fight. I'll be honest as I was watching as good as Osprey/Robinson was I felt it peaked a little early for me. I would have liked a more definitive finish but I trust PROGRESS knows what they are doing from a story telling perspective. I'm only guessing that this is more like an early match in a feud and we are going to get something a little more EPIC from those two to come.

In regards to the closing of the show.
► Show Spoiler
Also do you guys think Havoc is going to return as a face?

Oli Court
VOW Staff Member

Post by Oli Court » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 pm

I went the other way with this show; after 3 fantastic chapters in a row, this one felt a little lacking. I'm very grumpy on Haskins/Ciampa though, so if I'd enjoyed that more, maybe I would have been more positive heading into the second half. Read my review here for my full breakdown...

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:44 am

That Haskins/Ciampa match was a funny one. I enjoyed it a lot live, didn't really enjoy the comedy that much. But I thought it translated a lot better on screen, especially the reactions and emotions from the two. I have a hard time buying Haskins as some sort of protector of Progress against Ciampa in the post match promo after everything he was supposed to stand for previously.

The 8 man match I think was always going to be one of those matches more for the live crowd than on video. It's funny the difference between say a PWG 8-man where most of the match will take place in the ring as opposed to Progress usual ones that take place half in the crowd. I didn't have the problem with the injury angle that you did though as I had no doubt about it being 'worked', and really it was inevitable that it was going to happen imo.
That ending though. I thought at the show I'd missed something because that distraction/miscommunication ending seemingly came out of nowhere. But watching it back it's pretty ugly with Tommy having to more or less tell Dante to turn around and argue, and there didn't seem to be anything to argue about?

Oh, and I loved the main event. But Robinson has been, for me, by far the most underrated guy in Progress pretty much since he joined Regression. Brilliant at playing a properly unhinged lunatic.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:38 am

Oli Court wrote:Read my review here for my full breakdown...
I think there is a really good point in the review summary that Jimmy Havoc was missed, but I also kind of feel that on reflection somehow the more subdued Chapter 22 was needed after the intensity of recent chapters and that bit of breathing space in Chapter 22, even lets me look back on the recent Chapters and see what a truly great story Progress had.

Progress is definitely in my top 3 promotions of the year (with LU & New Japan).

themib

Post by themib » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:23 pm

Breathing space is essential, given the bloated schedule PROGRESS will have in 2016 (not including PTNTL shows or any festivals they'll do), when they'll have 23 shows, running almost every other week of the year.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:49 pm

Fun show today, the main event with the women is easily recommendable.

Chapter 23's Natural Progression Series match was set up today - a three way with Jack Sexsmith, Damon Moser and Shen Woo. Sexsmith is going to be massively over at the Ballroom with his perverted sexually ambiguous character.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Tomasso Ciampa vs Zack Sabre Jr has been announced as the first match of the Manchester show.

So stoked I decided to go for just £12.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Mark Haskins vs. Paul Robinson added to Chapter 23 in the battle of the last two title contenders.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:55 pm

You can get one month of their on demand service for $.99. Never watched it myself, so going to give it a go.

http://www.pwponderings.com/2015/11/13/ ... -99-cents/
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

themib

Post by themib » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:12 pm

The Origin's Zack Gibson challenges the man who beat him to win the Natural Progression Series, "Flash" Morgan Webster, to a rematch at Chapter 23.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Webster has accepted - it's Webster vs. Gibson with Webster's NPS Trophy and title shot on the line at Chapter 23 in less than two weeks.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:55 pm

PROGRESS will hold two pre-show matches before Chapter 23 - Eddie Dennis vs. Dave Mastiff, and Sweet Jesus vs. Darrell Allen & Earl Black Jr. PROGRESS will film them for a purpose they're yet to reveal.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 pm

chris630

Post by chris630 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:34 pm

themib wrote:

Webster has accepted - it's Webster vs. Gibson with Webster's NPS Trophy and title shot on the line at Chapter 23 in less than two weeks.
How likely is Gibson winning and then challenging Ospreay in Manchester?