RevPro UK (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: Revolution Pro Wrestling

Post by suplexberry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Yes, please.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:24 pm

broooooooooooooooooo

themib

Post by themib » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am

Interesting that it's Walthamstow that gets the big title match instead of York Hall - it's Zack Sabre Jr. defending against Will Ospreay. York Hall has ZSJ & Minoru Suzuki vs. Ospreay & Hirooki Goto.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Walthamstow also gets Matt Riddle vs. Minoru Suzuki!

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

Rev Pro are debuting in Leamington on sunday. I'm going, hoping for a nice hot crowd, although it's a big question of how well it will draw. Coming off 2 shows over the last 2 sundays, matches were mostly (and still are) unnannounced* for storyline reasons, so it's the company name that is selling the show in a new market. Hopefully it's a success. Jeff Cobb was advertised but was quietly replaced yesterday on the poster by Moose.

*2 matches booked had to be changed due to injuries.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 am

Couple of announcements yesterday involving Jinny...

*Jinny will be in Rev Pro's first York Hall women's match at Uprising on December 8th, where she's issued an open challenge.

*Jinny is the first entrant in a tournament for the new Revolution Pro British Women's Championship at the Cockpit on January 6th and 7th.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 am

Guys, Ishii vs. Lee was fucking mental. This year's Ishii/Hero.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

themib wrote:Guys, Ishii vs. Lee was fucking mental. This year's Ishii/Hero.
this thing is getting insane hype. Can't wait to see it.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 am

Ishii v Lee was just marvelous. Perfect Little Guy v Big Guy fight only the Little Guy is convinced that he is the Big Guy. Most impressive performance I have seen from Keith Lee aside from the Djack match at PWG.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

For all the talk Keith Lee vs. Tomohiro Ishii is getting (and it is indeed well deserved), I actually think Zack vs. Will from night 2 was better. A near perfect match for me, I adored every second of it. It felt like two guys at their respective peaks trying to put on their best matches ever, and I think at least in my eyes they did that. Zack was such a fantastic bully here and Will as always played a wonderful victim. He took all the punishment Zack could dish out having to fight back to try and get any opportunity he could. I'm honestly surprised it's not getting any buzz right now, I know the match hasn't been released on VOD yet but I was expecting some of the other people live to be talking it up online. It seems to have been cannibalized by Lee/Ishii, that could be due to the dream match quality of Lee/Ishii or maybe I'm just off-base here. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts when the VOD for night 2 drops either way.

These are my match ratings for the two nights anyway:

Night 1
Bodom vs. BUSHI vs. Smile - ***3/4
Gedo/Yano vs. Gideon/Dunne - ***1/2
Despy vs. Riddle - **3/4
Scurll vs. Naito - **1/2
Nagata vs. Gibson - **1/2
CCK vs. Rocky/YOSHI - ***1/4
Lee vs. Ishii - ****3/4
Goto/Ospreay vs. Suzuki/Sabre - ****

Night 2
CCK vs. Goto/Gedo/YOSHI - ***
Yano vs. Gibson - ***
Bodom vs. Rocky - ***1/4
Mastiff vs. Ishii - *3/4
Smile vs. Despy - ***1/2
BUSHI/Naito vs. Lee/Nagata - ***1/4
Riddle vs. Suzuki - ****
Sabre vs. Ospreay - *****

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:For all the talk Keith Lee vs. Tomohiro Ishii is getting (and it is indeed well deserved), I actually think Zack vs. Will from night 2 was better. A near perfect match for me, I adored every second of it. It felt like two guys at their respective peaks trying to put on their best matches ever, and I think at least in my eyes they did that. Zack was such a fantastic bully here and Will as always played a wonderful victim. He took all the punishment Zack could dish out having to fight back to try and get any opportunity he could. I'm honestly surprised it's not getting any buzz right now, I know the match hasn't been released on VOD yet but I was expecting some of the other people live to be talking it up online. It seems to have been cannibalized by Lee/Ishii, that could be due to the dream match quality of Lee/Ishii or maybe I'm just off-base here. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts when the VOD for night 2 drops either way.

These are my match ratings for the two nights anyway:

Night 1
Bodom vs. BUSHI vs. Smile - ***3/4
Gedo/Yano vs. Gideon/Dunne - ***1/2
Despy vs. Riddle - **3/4
Scurll vs. Naito - **1/2
Nagata vs. Gibson - **1/2
CCK vs. Rocky/YOSHI - ***1/4
Lee vs. Ishii - ****3/4
Goto/Ospreay vs. Suzuki/Sabre - ****

Night 2
CCK vs. Goto/Gedo/YOSHI - ***
Yano vs. Gibson - ***
Bodom vs. Rocky - ***1/4
Mastiff vs. Ishii - *3/4
Smile vs. Despy - ***1/2
BUSHI/Naito vs. Lee/Nagata - ***1/4
Riddle vs. Suzuki - ****
Sabre vs. Ospreay - *****
What is happening with Mastiff? I heard that he had a stinker with Keith Lee at a recent cockpit show & it looks like he had the worst match of the weekend with Ishii of all people. Lee & Ishii having a bad match is rare. I quite like Mastiff when I have seen him. Although, I haven't seen a match of his in the last couple of months.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

ZSJ/Riddle officially confirmed now for Uprising on December 8th for the British Heavyweight Title.

The first two entrants in the Women's Title Tournament at the Cockpit on January 6th and 7th are Jinny (she entered herself at the last Cockpit show) and Deonna Purrazzo.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote: What is happening with Mastiff? I heard that he had a stinker with Keith Lee at a recent cockpit show & it looks like he had the worst match of the weekend with Ishii of all people. Lee & Ishii having a bad match is rare. I quite like Mastiff when I have seen him. Although, I haven't seen a match of his in the last couple of months.
He has some fun spots, but honestly he just fucking sucks. The British scene is so attached to these bad meme wrestlers like Mastiff and El Ligero. I don't get how you fly in one of the best wrestlers in the world, and a guy who works outside of NJPW only a few times a year, and then waste a match on that. It is completely inexcusable.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
ScorpioCorp wrote: What is happening with Mastiff? I heard that he had a stinker with Keith Lee at a recent cockpit show & it looks like he had the worst match of the weekend with Ishii of all people. Lee & Ishii having a bad match is rare. I quite like Mastiff when I have seen him. Although, I haven't seen a match of his in the last couple of months.
He has some fun spots, but honestly he just fucking sucks. The British scene is so attached to these bad meme wrestlers like Mastiff and El Ligero. I don't get how you fly in one of the best wrestlers in the world, and a guy who works outside of NJPW only a few times a year, and then waste a match on that. It is completely inexcusable.
Ligero can go. Some of his early PROGRESS stuff is pretty solid, but as a comedy wrestler he's quite dry and rather boring. Mastiff never did anything for me, I don't think he uses his size to any real effect. He's just a big dude, with some decent promo skills.

As for why Rev Pro has resorted to this, they are considered a dream match promotion, and they are running out of dream matches to have with their current roster. They haven't really replaced Ospreay, Scrull and Sabre since they aren't around as often. They haven't really used much of the US scene other than Lee and Riddle. They haven't even mined much of the Euro scene, to fill the holes LDRS and Ospreay and BSS have left in their cards. Why didn't they use WALTER before he exploded? Why aren't they booking new Euro talent like Omari or Sexsmith or Devlin or Ilja? PWG and AAW do a great job of being a revolving door of talent when it comes to being a dream match promotion. Rev Pro's door is a little bit stuck.

They've had all the major NJPW players over the last few years, and I'm guessing NJPW don't let them have Okada and Tanahashi regularly, so they can't have those dream matches with them regularly. They need to focus on the western hemisphere rather than just filling half the card with whoever NJPW have lying around. The cards look great and generally the shows are great, but it's just the same old shit.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Completely agree with all that. They can't seem to decide whether they want to just do dream matches or they want to focus on storylines (which is usually the reason why I prefer the lower stakes Cockpit shows). There's plenty of UK talent around, why stick to guys who are not moving the needle at all?