RevPro UK (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
VilinskiKonjic

Re: Revolution Pro Wrestling

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 pm

suplexberry wrote:Sorry to hear about the heatwave. I vaguely remember hearing about it, but my brain didn't connect the two things. Now I'm pretty worried about going to the Cockpit in early August..

The main event of which just got announced, CCK (Kid Lykos & Travis Banks - a first?) vs War Machine. I'm pretty excited, that should be good. El Phantasmo vs Jay White is the other match announced so far.
Heat should be fine by then. Cockpit's ventilated better as well, or so it feels.
Tigerkinney wrote:Anyway in my section, up in the balcony- we had to suffer this dumbass 'fan' who spent all evening shouting abuse at Ospreay and wanting to see headlocks. Irritatingly this dumbass starting talking to me- and boy his views on wrestling were laughable. He wasn't keen on the high flying (why come to a show based around Juniors- that tend to do high flying?!) nor did he like any comedy in wrestling. Hypocritically though he was supporting Scurll in the Finals 4-way- make of that what you will!
It's always nice when people have their first encounter with Him. He's banned from Progress already for being an all round disgusting human being and most of us had thought he was banned from RevPro too. Though their security's shite and probably doesn't check that shit despite him being incredibly easy to recognise with how much of a goblin he looks. But anyway. Welcome to the club.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

VilinskiKonjic wrote: It's always nice when people have their first encounter with Him. He's banned from Progress already for being an all round disgusting human being and most of us had thought he was banned from RevPro too. Though their security's shite and probably doesn't check that shit despite him being incredibly easy to recognise with how much of a goblin he looks. But anyway. Welcome to the club.
Not being a regular at all the shows (if I had more disposable income/actually lived in London- I would go to more) I hadn't had the displeasure of meeting 'The Goblin' before, and I don't wish to ever again! I think he has some definite mental issues.

RPW's security is rather on the shite side, all they seem concerned about is checking your bag for food and drink, not if some nutcase happens to attend one of their shows.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 pm

suplexberry wrote:The main event of which just got announced, CCK (Kid Lykos & Travis Banks - a first?) vs War Machine. I'm pretty excited, that should be good. El Phantasmo vs Jay White is the other match announced so far.
Three more matches, one of which I will keep behind the spoiler tag because it affects a big reveal in another promotion...

*Kyle Fletcher vs. Mark Davis
*Chris Brookes vs. Eddie Dennis (Dennis will be added to the York Hall title match if he wins)
► Show Spoiler

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:39 am

I am THRILLED about the match under spoiler cut. Two of my faves, neither of whom I've seen live yet.

By no means an insane card but I think the main will deliver big, excited to see Fletcher & Davis for the first time ever. Should be a fun time.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 am

Kurtis Chapman vs. Gideon Grey added to Sunday's show.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 am

Was anybody else at the Cockpit show?

I really liked the venue and the experience. Living in my Northern icy corner of the world, I only ever get to see wrestling live abroad and as such it is always such a treat, so I do my best to get invested in the show. For some reason I always feel like Cockpit audiences are engaged but so much more quiet than other British audiences. There's a few obvious "chant leaders" but some of the matches I felt like I was one of only three people who got into them at all.

First match on the card and the last match on the card got changed due to Lykos' injury, so CCK started the night off with a promo. Some poor lady had her phone ring twice during it, which was funny as fuck.

Eddie Dennis vs TK Cooper was a lot of fun, great seeing TK back.

Cara Noir vs RJ Singh was a weird one. I like Noir and he's actually the favorite of my friend who happens to work at the Cockpit. I hope he continues to hone the gimmick as time goes on, though, I'm not sure how I feel about "forced lipstick" spots in this one, or in general. Match ended with a lowblow, but the crowd still seems to like Noir a lot.

Rishi came out to cut a promo about Gideon. People seemed to love Rishi and he was great here. Then Gideon came out, swerved us and had a match against Curtis Chapman. Chapman is really becoming a nice rookie underdog on the RevPro shows and I got very much into this one.

Mark Davis vs Kyle Fletcher - two newcomers who've been making waves on the scene. This is one of those matches where I felt the crowd was engaged but silent, and would've been more vocally into this one if they'd had something to hang onto. As such, it was a showcase of two dudes most people knew nothing about, and without a clear story established during the match, it ended up feeling like just a match. Both guys are talented, and had decent chemistry together, but there was just not much there.

The second half kicked off with a very heated six man, Samuels, Phoenix and Smile against Gibson, Bodom and Lias. Heels' corner was close to my section of seats, and Lias kept bantering to the crowd in a really entertaining manner. Bodom is like the one dude in the world who gets genuine heat from me, but watching him this close, I have to admit he's good. But still, fuck him. Gibson was great, too. They worked this pretty old school, isolating Phoenix, fucking with the babyfaces. It eventually descended into a carcrash. Just a great, fun match.

Jinny vs Dahlia Black was next up. This is where I felt like I was one of three whole people not sitting on their hands the entire match. The work was great, Jinny's character work was once again superb and Dahlia had some great comebacks, but like ..virtually nobody cared. Kills me.

Jay White vs El Phantasmo. An online buddy is from the corner of Canada where ELP used to work, and she told me he wasn't very good and ..I am forced to agree. White was very good and kept me engaged in the match but overall I didn't love this one or anything.

Main event: Brookes & Banks vs War Machine

Stupendously great action that never slowed down or stopped for a moment. I was yelling myself hoarse the entire time, and even my friend said she hadn't heard the crowd get this into a match in a long while. If you hear somebody yelling in Finnish on the VOD, that would be me. What can I say? I mark out.

I got real awkward about meeting the wrestlers at the merch tables but I did shake War Machine's big sweaty palms and told them I saw them in Tokyo earlier in the year.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I appreciate the write-up suplexberry. Having Ausie Open debut against each other is a mis-step. Did they even establish a heel and a face in the match?

I've seen Cara Noir exactly once and thought he was great. He works stiff and carries himself like a tough guy, but wears 20 denier tights and rubs himself up and down his opponents. Goldust, basically, without being a rip-off.

I'm going to my first Rev Pro show when they come to Leamington in October. Cobb, Speedball and Jinny have all been announced. Hoping for more Cara Noir and others who will make it feel like Rev Pro and not the same as all the other ones I got to in and around Birmingham.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:00 pm

I think Kyle was more of a heel but the dynamic wasn't very clear? I expected to see like their version of a Generico-Steen match, where they start out as buddies, then the bigger dude turns heel, gets sympathy on the babyface and the crowd gets invested in the whole thing towards the end, like a simple but effective match. I did like the closing stretch of the match but like I said, I just didn't come away really knowing who these dudes were.

Cara Noir has a great physique and I agree his style looks impactful. A girl in the audience had the same makeup as him so he is obviously already over.

Padje

Post by Padje » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 am

It doesn't make sense for the younger, slimmer, prettier Kyle to be even a bit of a heel in that match. The current trend in britwres (maybe beyond? I have no idea, I don't follow american indies) for Dream Matches and exhibition matches is already wearing people out. Hopefully it will lead to the next change into character and story driven promotions. Everyone needs a bit of Gene Munny on their cards.

People dressing as Cara Noir is honestly heartwarming.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 pm

I mean ICW and PROGRESS are already all about characters and stories, aren't they?

And on a sidenote, why is REVOLUTION pushing their champion in a lot of non-title matches for War of the Worlds?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 am

I don't need RevPro to become a story-heavy promotion but I do need wrestlers to convey some sort of character, especially if it's their first match in a promotion and they are new on the scene. It doesn't have to be a lot - just make me remember you and the match two weeks later, which I am currently struggling to do.

I mean by all means, the Cockpit show is on RevPro's VOD service so if anybody else watches it and disagrees, I'm all ears. And I think for the most part the show was populated with guys who made me remember what they did, even the youngings like Curtis Chapman was memorable. These Aussies just didn't, unfortunately.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 am

Global Wars is on November 9th at York Hall and November 10th in Walthamstow, with MINORU SUZUKI on both shows!

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 pm

First two matches announced for Global Wars UK:

Yuji Nagata vs. Zack Gibson in York Hall
Bubblegum vs. Rocky Romero in Walthamstow

I'm a little underwhelmed by these announcements. Maybe they've got bigger stuff to come but I can't help but feel like every year NJPW send less and less big name guys for the Global Wars shows. I mean, two years ago at Global Wars 2015 they got AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, KUSHIDA, Jushin Liger etc. Last year we got Katsuyori Shibata, Tomohiro Ishii, Tetsuya Naito EVIL, SANADA, Yuji Nagata, Jushin Liger etc. Now this year we've had Minoru Suzuki, Yuji Nagata, and Rocky Romero as our first three names.

Maybe I'm judging a little too quickly and RevPro will make me look silly in a couple of weeks when they've announced Okada and Ibushi. For the time being though I'm finding it a little difficult to get excited about the shows. Really surprised by their choice to include Bubblegum too, nothing against the guy but if you're gonna go with a British name there are way better options, a Ryan Smile or a Josh Bodom would've been my preferred choice. I dunno, maybe I'm judging them unfairly. I've got my tickets to the show either way so all I can hope for is big names from here and a great couple of shows overall.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:34 am

I could be wrong but I think Andy Q specifically requests some variety in talent - so we don't end up with the same Okada Naito tag matches you could get in say, ROH, but get stuff like the Shibata title reign or the fantastic bunch of matches by Ishii. Nagata vs Trent Seven rocked last year and Nagata looked happy with the warm reception he got so I'm sure Quildan wanted Nagata back. Nagata also didn't take the night off, like Goto seemed to (a bit) when he came for the April show, and Gibson is a great foil. I think the match will deliver.

I'm sure this'll be another great card by the time the announcements are done, though I think last year's two Hero dream matches set the bar a bit too high. I'm not expecting two 4.5+ bangers, but if we get something fun never-gonna-happen-elsewhere matches I'll be happy.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:00 am

Revpro and OTT have a few of each others shows on their on demand. The OTT ones are good imo. Will be checking out Riddle Shibata from Revpro.