The JOSHI thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Kevin Wilson

Re: The JOSHI thread

Post by Kevin Wilson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:12 pm

It is too old of a show to post on the main site, but JWP on 7/11/15 was a really good show. Top three matches all delivered. Oddly my main complaint is it didn't appear in great VQ, which I realize is silly but a show this good I want to see in HD :( And it just had one hard cam which I am vocal against. But here is Hikaru Shida vs. Arisa Nakajima:

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 am

I finally sat down and checked Satomura/Hojo II, and by golly, what a rematch! It’s absolutely stunning they worked a match so different, and yet so similar to the first one. The layout was clearly different, but the shadow of the first encounter was still there, lurking and reminding us of what’s the story out there. You barely get that with Nakamura, Goto, Makabe and other New Japan top guys. These ladies are less formulaic and way more organic, raw and natural. What a vicious smackfest this was, shit man, they really beat bajesus out of each other, it was gnarly and highly punishing. Just a good old joshi brawl, everything was purposeful and rough. And then the selling, fuuuck me, they sold everything down to a T, I’m not going to bother you with all the details and technicalities, you need to see it, plain and simple. There were so many careful and thoughtful selling components that put Nakamura to shame. For example, Hojo does a flying elbow-drop which Satomura brilliantly counters into a fancy armlock. Now, almost everywhere else it would lead to a highly dramatic nearfall with Hojo trying to reach the ropes, but here it only served as pure counter attack for Satomura to buy some time, she couldn’t hold the champ in the hold too long because she had all the previous beatdowns to sell. That’s just pure brilliance, that’s genius, that’s what happens when your pro-graps IQ is enormous.

What a goddamn match!

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:29 am

I thought it was a great match, but have to disagree about the armwork. For the first part of the match it was trending towards being the best match of the year, starting with the awesome opening stiffness and concluding with one of the best crowd fighting sequences in many a year and Satomura running through the crowd to get was a freaking awesome spot. To me Hojo sold the arm well after the armwork...and then she didn't. Although it was a bit brief so it's possible I'm just nitpicking but the armwork ultimately didn't really go anywhere and felt ultimately like Tanahashi working the leg in one of his 2010 matches and more time filler than something that added to anything. And another thing, especially after last month's match was a bit underwhelming imo. I don't want to see anybody do a Cena/Owens-esque finisher trading fest but I would have preferred something bigger than just a bunch of DVBs. I don't know. I guess this comes with my other issue in that (And Satomura is one of my favorite Joshis of all time so it pains me to say this) I wasn't in favor of the switch. She didn't feel ready to drop the Red Belt yet. Hojo's reign has really been the best of any promotion or champion in my opinion because she did everything you want a champ to do. She elevated herself and the title with her great performances, she elevated the company through word of mouth and building attendances, and most importantly she did it at a time when the company desperately, and I do mean desperately needed someone to step up. I won't say she's the best pure wrestler of the year, but among men or women to me she has to be considered the true "MVP" of pro wrestling this year as nobody has meant more to their company all things considered than she has. (On a final note probably my favorite part of the whole thing was the post match right after Satomura rebuffed Hojo's handshake and Kairi just punched her own head distraught. That was a TREMENDOUS display by her. She's a champ through and through.)
DylanZero wrote:
rovert wrote:You'd know Shida's temperament and motivations better than I do. But WWE does seem to be in the market for a Joshi and have been for a while. Hiroyo Matsumoto tried out at Australia WWE tryout late last year where Jessie McKay and KC Cassidy were signed. Poor Hiroyo destroyed her knee soon after so who knows what would have happened. WWE isn't sending talent out on learning excursions so William Regal's recent initiative is bringing the outside World to the Performance Center trainees. So I think something may come out of it. If you were WWE and wanted to sign a viable Joshi it would probably be Shida as she has softer facial features than most.
I actually totally agree her face alone makes her a top candidate if WWE wanted a Japanese women's wrestler. It'd be a good signing. I just always thought Kana would be more interested in going there as she's sited being a fan of WWE and American culture in general many times.
Sadly prophetic words it seems...wish "Kanna" well in the 'E. It's better than retirement at least.

Stardom 5* Grand Prix starting today. Rooting for Hojo or Iwatani here, also hope we're not seeing some kind of Koguma part dos situation with Hazuki. Out of all the young gals they have she's probably my favorite.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

tctc12

Post by tctc12 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:38 pm

DylanZero wrote:I thought it was a great match, but have to disagree about the armwork. For the first part of the match it was trending towards being the best match of the year, starting with the awesome opening stiffness and concluding with one of the best crowd fighting sequences in many a year and Satomura running through the crowd to get was a freaking awesome spot. To me Hojo sold the arm well after the armwork...and then she didn't. Although it was a bit brief so it's possible I'm just nitpicking but the armwork ultimately didn't really go anywhere and felt ultimately like Tanahashi working the leg in one of his 2010 matches and more time filler than something that added to anything. And another thing, especially after last month's match was a bit underwhelming imo. I don't want to see anybody do a Cena/Owens-esque finisher trading fest but I would have preferred something bigger than just a bunch of DVBs. I don't know. I guess this comes with my other issue in that (And Satomura is one of my favorite Joshis of all time so it pains me to say this) I wasn't in favor of the switch. She didn't feel ready to drop the Red Belt yet. Hojo's reign has really been the best of any promotion or champion in my opinion because she did everything you want a champ to do. She elevated herself and the title with her great performances, she elevated the company through word of mouth and building attendances, and most importantly she did it at a time when the company desperately, and I do mean desperately needed someone to step up. I won't say she's the best pure wrestler of the year, but among men or women to me she has to be considered the true "MVP" of pro wrestling this year as nobody has meant more to their company all things considered than she has. (On a final note probably my favorite part of the whole thing was the post match right after Satomura rebuffed Hojo's handshake and Kairi just punched her own head distraught. That was a TREMENDOUS display by her. She's a champ through and through.)
DylanZero wrote:
rovert wrote:You'd know Shida's temperament and motivations better than I do. But WWE does seem to be in the market for a Joshi and have been for a while. Hiroyo Matsumoto tried out at Australia WWE tryout late last year where Jessie McKay and KC Cassidy were signed. Poor Hiroyo destroyed her knee soon after so who knows what would have happened. WWE isn't sending talent out on learning excursions so William Regal's recent initiative is bringing the outside World to the Performance Center trainees. So I think something may come out of it. If you were WWE and wanted to sign a viable Joshi it would probably be Shida as she has softer facial features than most.
I actually totally agree her face alone makes her a top candidate if WWE wanted a Japanese women's wrestler. It'd be a good signing. I just always thought Kana would be more interested in going there as she's sited being a fan of WWE and American culture in general many times.
Sadly prophetic words it seems...wish "Kanna" well in the 'E. It's better than retirement at least.

Stardom 5* Grand Prix starting today. Rooting for Hojo or Iwatani here, also hope we're not seeing some kind of Koguma part dos situation with Hazuki. Out of all the young gals they have she's probably my favorite.
I think Kairi's gimmick would work as an underdog chasing the title so I do think that her pure fire will be showcased better in the future, as much as I loved her as the gritty champion. Meiko will make a great, intimidating no-sense champion with credibility. Great thing about Stardom right now is that they have options which would have seem unbelievable only 6 months ago.

Hopefully Iwatani shines with the GP. She's been much improved this year and needs the bump more than Kairi does.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Oh I definitely agree she'll be fine long term and of course Satomura is great and I'm happy for her. I just think there was a lot of gas left in the tank for her title run since she really stepped up so hard as the champ when the company needed it most.

Agree about Iwatani. She's actually probably my second favorite behind Satomura in terms of in-ring style. She's awesome. 5*GP Spoiler alert:
► Show Spoiler

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Kevin Wilson

Post by Kevin Wilson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Speaking of Iwatani, her match against Shirai last week was awesome, recommended! It is behind the Age Gate (not my fault) so you may need to login to see it.

tctc12

Post by tctc12 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Kevin Wilson wrote:Speaking of Iwatani, her match against Shirai last week was awesome, recommended! It is behind the Age Gate (not my fault) so you may need to login to see it.

What a tremendous match.

trask

Post by trask » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Just ordered a pack of 2015 trading cards. Will update when it gets to my destination. Also, Shirai vs. Yoneyama is going on tonight. Absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to watch the matchup. My 2 favorite girls in Stardom.
Trask Bryant
Founder of Wrestling With Words

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:40 pm

So I finally got around to it and watched the 5*GP Final show and really really enjoyed the last two matches. And I'm not overly familiar with Hudson Envy but what a performance from Kairi Hojo in the main event. Love this girl, and also loved how her working over and targeting the back actually paid off in the finish. Lots of heat from the participants, good offense early on and selling throughout, just a great match. Kairi is one of the best in the world going right now.

Really liked the tag titles too though thought Thunder Rock were a little awkward at times. Definitely hope Chisako/Sachiko can become more regulars to the promotion, thought they played their heel role really great here in addition to being really smooth in the ring. Definitely one of the best teams in Joshi and would help Stardom and their depth issues particularly in the tag division.

Definitely check those two matches out.

David Starsky

Post by David Starsky » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Really enjoyed those two matches too. Might have enjoyed the tag slightly more, heel Dash is so great. Sharing that hope that they stick around. Final was a lot of fun too, as with everything Kairi is doing lately.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 am

Where can I watch the finals show? I saw the first two and no amount of googling has helped me since. I assume this a thing I might need to learn about torrents for? Hope not.

skrambr0

Post by skrambr0 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:26 am

MidSouthMonster wrote:Where can I watch the finals show? I saw the first two and no amount of googling has helped me since. I assume this a thing I might need to learn about torrents for? Hope not.
If you don't want to go the torrent route it's up on youku:

if you find youku to not be a great streaming platform (sometimes it's fine for me, other occasions it's rly slow) you can plug the link into something like jdownloader or http://www.flvcd.com/index.htm and rip the video.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Looking forward to watching the two STARDOM USA shows - they'll be posted on Click Wrestle, which is a site Cheerleader Melissa is involved in running, though it'll likely be individual matches rather than the full shows (which they do with SHIMMER).

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Once they hit, check out the Dark Angel vs. Io Shirai and Rosa Negra vs. Mayu Iwatani matches from the October 11 show. Solid stuff for sure there. Plus all 3 of the new girls that debuted on the show promise in one way or another from the show.

David Starsky

Post by David Starsky » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 am

Card for the Stardom vs Sendai show on the 15th of November, due to air on Samurai on the 21st

November 15, Korakuen Hall, Tokyo 12:00
Stardom vs Sendai Girls
◆World of Stardom Title Match
(Champion) Meiko Satomura vs Mayu Iwatani
◆Wonder of Stardom Title Match
(Champion) Io Shirai vs Sendai Sachiko
◆Sendai Girls vs Stardom Singles Match
Kairi Hojo vs Mika Iwata
◆NWA World Women's Title Match
(Champion) Santana Garrett vs Holidead
◆ 6 Man Tag Team Match
Act Yasukawa, Kyoko Kimura & Kris Wolf vs Kaori Yoneyama, Alex Lee & Datura
◆Tag Team Match
Hiromi Mimura & Starlight Kid vs Haruka Kato & Saori Anou
◆ Jungle Kyouna Debut
Jungle Kyouna vs Momo Watanabe

Entertaining segment on Occupation of the Joshi hyping this one.

...and here's a real pirate