The JOSHI thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

The JOSHI thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 am

Or, the Kevin Wilson sub forum.

STARDOM, Ice Ribbon, classic All Japan Women or whatever else you're watching in the world of Japanese female graps.

DylanZero

Re: The JOSHI thread

Post by DylanZero » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:00 am

If there's a wrestler who has impressed me more with her uptick in match quality in 2015 than Kairi Hojo I don't know who it could be. Between her first match with Io Shirai where she scored the title upset and made it on the cover of Weekly Pro Wrestling, her unexpectedly dramatic match vs Iwatani (Which featured Iwatani busting out legitimately one of my favorite spots of the year with a totally out of the blue counter to the Gedo Clutch) and I haven't seen it yet but Satomura is one of my favorite Joshis of all time and I fully expect to like it a lot. Those matches and the sound Io Shirai/Nikki Storm match from May were all worthy watches. Stardom's on a relatively hot streak.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 pm

The Satomura match is fantastic stuff, and booked tremendously well to boot.

tctc12

Post by tctc12 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:12 am

Kairi Hojo has been fantastic this year. Her match with Meiko Satomura is legit one of my favorite matches of the year. I enjoyed it so much.

On the other hand, Io Shirai has become a little sloppier than I'm used to as of late. I know her style leads to more potential botches but she needs to clean up her work. She's still great though.

Stardom, as a whole, seems to be getting its act together. They brought in Nikki Storm (who is awesome) and Starfire (who has been dependable). Chelsea was an overpushed disaster at first but even she is tolerable in the ring right now. It seems like the Act/Yoshiko incident really kicked them on the butt and, in response, the in-ring work has improved on all accounts. On the negative, they really need more workers (or less belts). You can keep the World of Stardom and Wonder of Stardom as those function as world titles and intercontential title. I'd also keep the High Speed champion as well. I just don't see the point of having both the Goddesses of Stardom and Artist of Stardom championship when there are like 10 active wrestlers. Koguma is on hiatus so just put those belts on hiatus until you flesh out the roster.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:30 am

Kairi Hojo really should be in the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year conversation in my opinion. Like you guys have already said, she has been fantastic.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 am

BillThompson wrote:The Satomura match is fantastic stuff, and booked tremendously well to boot.
That it was. I couldn't have done it any better myself. And any excuse for more Satomura main events is always welcome. If they can find a way to top their June match it'll have to be up there in the rankings.
tctc12 wrote:Kairi Hojo has been fantastic this year. Her match with Meiko Satomura is legit one of my favorite matches of the year. I enjoyed it so much.

On the other hand, Io Shirai has become a little sloppier than I'm used to as of late. I know her style leads to more potential botches but she needs to clean up her work. She's still great though.

Stardom, as a whole, seems to be getting its act together. They brought in Nikki Storm (who is awesome) and Starfire (who has been dependable). Chelsea was an overpushed disaster at first but even she is tolerable in the ring right now. It seems like the Act/Yoshiko incident really kicked them on the butt and, in response, the in-ring work has improved on all accounts. On the negative, they really need more workers (or less belts). You can keep the World of Stardom and Wonder of Stardom as those function as world titles and intercontential title. I'd also keep the High Speed champion as well. I just don't see the point of having both the Goddesses of Stardom and Artist of Stardom championship when there are like 10 active wrestlers. Koguma is on hiatus so just put those belts on hiatus until you flesh out the roster.
It was awesome.

I will say that I quite enjoyed Io's match vs. Nikki Storm where she did a rad job of keeping her in check. The tag they had at Galaxy Stars was a harsh check back to reality imo. Surprisingly the only person I would say who looked actively good there was Starfire. Definitely wasn't my bag in that match.

What's up with Koguma anyway? Some people made it seem like she was retiring. That'd be a shame, man. She was showing good potential for sure.
Quentin Moody wrote:Kairi Hojo really should be in the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year conversation in my opinion. Like you guys have already said, she has been fantastic.
Like I alluded to earlier, I think she's pretty much hands down the most improved for me. She's not high enough to be in my top 5 personally for Most Outstanding right now, but she's also one of a veey few who is not far enough off to where 4-5 matches of the caliber of her 3 recent big ones (Io, Iwatani, Satomura) the second half of the year won't put her up there. Should definitely be in the mix. Would make the same argument about Satomura too in fact.

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

tctc12

Post by tctc12 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:18 pm

DylanZero wrote:
BillThompson wrote:The Satomura match is fantastic stuff, and booked tremendously well to boot.
That it was. I couldn't have done it any better myself. And any excuse for more Satomura main events is always welcome. If they can find a way to top their June match it'll have to be up there in the rankings.
tctc12 wrote:Kairi Hojo has been fantastic this year. Her match with Meiko Satomura is legit one of my favorite matches of the year. I enjoyed it so much.

It was awesome.

I will say that I quite enjoyed Io's match vs. Nikki Storm where she did a rad job of keeping her in check. The tag they had at Galaxy Stars was a harsh check back to reality imo. Surprisingly the only person I would say who looked actively good there was Starfire. Definitely wasn't my bag in that match.

What's up with Koguma anyway? Some people made it seem like she was retiring. That'd be a shame, man. She was showing good potential for sure.
Quentin Moody wrote:Kairi Hojo really should be in the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year conversation in my opinion. Like you guys have already said, she has been fantastic.
Like I alluded to earlier, I think she's pretty much hands down the most improved for me. She's not high enough to be in my top 5 personally for Most Outstanding right now, but she's also one of a veey few who is not far enough off to where 4-5 matches of the caliber of her 3 recent big ones (Io, Iwatani, Satomura) the second half of the year won't put her up there. Should definitely be in the mix. Would make the same argument about Satomura too in fact.
I've heard she's retiring due to her parent's fear of injury. I've also heard she's just taking a break for school and will be back soon enough. At this point, I wish Rossy would just be up front about it so there isn't so much speculation. I like Starfire a lot more than some do but she isn't the same quality as Koguma was in the ring so the girl is missed and the high speed division needs more participants at this point.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Watch very little Joshi but have gotten into watching STARDOM recently thanks to Kevin Wilson's reviews and wanting monitor Nikki Storm's progress. I do know WWE gave a few of their wrestlers a tryout/look this weekend. Hikaru Shida and Nikki Storm being the main two names I heard. But at least Chelsea and Melissa went to a WWE show. While Hojo and Rossy took pictures with Paige.

Let rumours commence.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:55 pm

tctc12 wrote:I've heard she's retiring due to her parent's fear of injury. I've also heard she's just taking a break for school and will be back soon enough. At this point, I wish Rossy would just be up front about it so there isn't so much speculation. I like Starfire a lot more than some do but she isn't the same quality as Koguma was in the ring so the girl is missed and the high speed division needs more participants at this point.
I'm with you, brother. I hope she comes back and is well regardless of whether it's fear of injury or school. Also if it's true she should come out to "Parents Just Don't Understand" as her theme. The roster definitely could use some fresh blood. Obviously the top gals (Kana, Syuri, etc.) and it may be tricky nabbing anyone from Ice Ribbon, but there must be some of these REINA girls or even lower on the indies that would make the jump.

I have a close friend in Mexico who is friends with Starfire (Friend's name is Athena) and even designed some of her shirts she wore on her first trip to Japan. She's a very nice girl and I'm behind her due to bias. But I saw her wrestle a few years ago when she was first starting and she was really REALLY bad. I'm sure some old pics of her are online somewhere but she looked a lot worse too, you could tell it wasn't good. So I would tell those people that dislike her that she's improved greatly from where she was in a relatively short time and worked really hard so she'll probably get better and better and will win some folks over. Still do agree she's no Koguma though.
rovert wrote:Watch very little Joshi but have gotten into watching STARDOM recently thanks to Kevin Wilson's reviews and wanting monitor Nikki Storm's progress. I do know WWE gave a few of their wrestlers a tryout/look this weekend. Hikaru Shida and Nikki Storm being the main two names I heard. But at least Chelsea and Melissa went to a WWE show. While Hojo and Rossy took pictures with Paige.

Let rumours commence.
If Shida goes to WWE...what does it mean for the ass train? Chelsea or Melissa would be good additions for them, doubt anything comes of any of this though. Especially for native Joshis.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:44 am

Anyone care to list 10ish best non-Stardom matches of 2015?

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 pm

DylanZero wrote: If Shida goes to WWE...what does it mean for the ass train? Chelsea or Melissa would be good additions for them, doubt anything comes of any of this though. Especially for native Joshis.
You'd know Shida's temperament and motivations better than I do. But WWE does seem to be in the market for a Joshi and have been for a while. Hiroyo Matsumoto tried out at Australia WWE tryout late last year where Jessie McKay and KC Cassidy were signed. Poor Hiroyo destroyed her knee soon after so who knows what would have happened. WWE isn't sending talent out on learning excursions so William Regal's recent initiative is bringing the outside World to the Performance Center trainees. So I think something may come out of it. If you were WWE and wanted to sign a viable Joshi it would probably be Shida as she has softer facial features than most.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Native JOSHI best choice for WWE would probably be Shida. If they just want another well traveled woman, go all out for Nikki Storm. Great in-ring and good talker as well.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Anyone have the 411 on NANAE TAKAHASHI? She's just been added to one of the ROH shows.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:34 pm

She's good, although I'm not sure she'll be able to carry ODB to a good match. I really enjoyed her tag work with Hojo.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 pm

RE: Non Stardom Matches: The aforementioned Shida vs. Mio Shirai ICE Infinity title from January, Mio vs Io Shirai from MIO 2 in February, Hikaru Shida vs. Ayako Hamada from WAVE in February, Kana/Arisa Nakajima vs. Syuri Kondo/Shida again from Kana Pro in February for the REINA tag titles. Aya Mizunami vs Yuki Ohka from that same show as Shida/Hamada (This is rated well by Joshi fans but I personally wasn't as big a fan), Meiko Satomura vs Kyoko Kimura from Sendai Girls in March, there was a 6 woman tag from the OZ Academy ZEN show in May I thought was really good featuring teams captained by Shida & Manami Toyota respectively, & Arisa Nakajima vs Mio Shirai from MIO 4 last month was really great. &...that's about all I can think of. 8's a good number right?
rovert wrote:You'd know Shida's temperament and motivations better than I do. But WWE does seem to be in the market for a Joshi and have been for a while. Hiroyo Matsumoto tried out at Australia WWE tryout late last year where Jessie McKay and KC Cassidy were signed. Poor Hiroyo destroyed her knee soon after so who knows what would have happened. WWE isn't sending talent out on learning excursions so William Regal's recent initiative is bringing the outside World to the Performance Center trainees. So I think something may come out of it. If you were WWE and wanted to sign a viable Joshi it would probably be Shida as she has softer facial features than most.
I actually totally agree her face alone makes her a top candidate if WWE wanted a Japanese women's wrestler. It'd be a good signing. I just always thought Kana would be more interested in going there as she's sited being a fan of WWE and American culture in general many times. Am unsure of Shida's feelings on those fronts. (though the financial stability likely would render all that a non-issue regardless)

RE: Nanae - Rob is correct in that she's good, but facing ODB is a rough spot for anyone. Check out her match vs. Yoshiko at the Stardom 4th Anniversary Show in January if you want to see some good recent Nanae that you can hopefully can get over here.