G1 CLIMAX 28

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Bloodbuzz Bunk

Re: G1 CLIMAX 28

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

greenmanRD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:11 pm
The Tama/Omega match is going to be very interesting, part of me thinks Tama has to win but the other part of me thinks he's freaking Tama Tonga. Why does he need to beat the IWGP champ.
I feel like this is the one match that Tama is clearly losing. I think Lanza is right in that this likely building to a GoD v Bucks tag title match down the road more than anything. Tama will start out hot in the match, talk shit, get a boring control period, Kenny will fire up and kick ass, Loa and Fale will run in but Chase, Hangman, Yujiro and maybe Ibushi will even out the odds, and OWA for the 3. It will be 5 minutes longer than it needed to be and we will all be underwhelmed. Prove me wrong Tama.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I liked Night 4 a whole lot. No MOTYC level stuff but nothing outright bad, which is better than can be said for the other three nights. Tama/SANADA and Ibushi/Juice were just fine, with the former slightly overachieving and the latter underachieving, but ZSJ/Yano fucking ruled, Ishii/Naito was solid (the crowd really elevated it from decent match to good one) and Omega/Goto was awesome. ****1/4 for the main, **** for the semi-main and ZSJ/Yano, that's a great night for me.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Night 4 thoughts:

1) Sanada v Tama 2.5 Stars : They have decent chemistry but this Firing Squad/BCOGs Angle is just feeding into Tama’s laziest impulses and he doesn’t have a tenth of the charisma Jay White does so the interference is way bigger of an anchor.

2) ZSJ v Toru Yano 3.25 Stars: Yano’s tournament long story of trying to go straight and not cheat all the time is awesome and improves him 1000%. It also helps that he isn’t winning matches but if he is gonna put this much effort in than I will enjoy it and give him due credit.

3) Juice Robinson v Kota Ibushi 4 Stars: This match could have found another gear and became great but the time and placement on the card restrained it somewhat. Ibushi’s moonsault was bonkers and besides that I don’t have a ton to say.

4) Tomohiro Ishii v Tetsuya Naito 4.5 Stars: Tremendous first 5 minutes. Great character work from Naito while taking a beating. Trading smiles and loogies for heavy Ishii chops isn’t a great strategy but it is engaging. Also loved all the reversal sequences and the bastardized Destino counter. Crowd also elevated it. There were spots where it looked like they were gonna crank it up and literally just shut it down, it didnt kill the match by any means but it holds it back for me.

5) Kenny Omega v Hirooki Goto 4.5 Stars: This match also started off on fire. Omega slowly shifting his character towards his old heel antics such as the cheek brush on the ref break.That might indicate how the match with Ibushi is going to skew. Omega is also clearly trying one up Kota with his moonsault spot Goto was great throughout and has really put together a monster year in retrospect. Goto’s draping reverse spot and his top rope code red might be my favorite new spots in wrestling.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:33 am

SANADA vs. Tama Tonga was pretty good if you can look past the egregious interference spots. These guys have pretty solid chemistry together (I remember their matches in the 2016 and 2017 tournaments being good too). Like everyone else I am already tired of the Bullet Club OG stuff, but the closing stretch where SANADA overcame it was well done. It already looks like SANADA is having a better tournament than he did last year.

Sabre vs. Yano was really fun. I think that I didn't quite get Yano's tournament gimmick in his match with Ishii. There I thought it was a flaw that he eventually went for his usual turnbuckle spot, but after today's match I understand that the idea is that he's trying really hard to not cheat but he just can't help himself, which is a really cool story. I like Yano anyway, but this running gag about him struggling to go straight is making him legitimately one of my favorite performers in the tournament.

Ibushi vs. Robinson was very enjoyable. I just wish that it had gotten another 5 minutes or so to really hit that Match of the Year level, but what we got was excellent. Everything from the moment where Robinson ran back into the ring to avoid the Golden Triangle Moonsault through the spot where Ibushi hit that insane Moonsault from the turnbuckle post to the entrance aisleway was just tremendously entertaining.

Naito and Ishii always have good matches together, but somehow this match seemed better than any of the ones that they had with each other in 2017. Naito's dickish attitude seemed more amplified, Ishii's strikes seemed more brutal, and the crowd seemed more invested. I don't know if it was just the Korakuen atmosphere or what, but something made this match feel like Naito and Ishii were doing much more than playing the greatest hits, even though they hit all of the same spots that we've seen them do against each other countless times now.

Omega vs. Goto was my match of the night and my favorite of the tournament so far. These guys have really underappreciated chemistry, with Omega bringing out an energetic high spot side that we don't usually see from Goto and Goto getting Kenny into a hard striking, high-impact style that we don't usually see from him. So many great moments here, from Goto knocking Omega off the top rope by throwing a chair at his head, to that legitimately wild brawl in the stands, to Goto's top rope Code Red. Omega tends to over-rely on the V-Trigger in his matches, but I thought he hit some really vicious and impressive looking ones in this match, particularly the one that he did at close range, and the one that he did while Goto was draped across the top rope.

All around I thought this was definitely the best night of the 2018 G1 so far.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 am

Yano v. Zack Sabre Jr. is the best match I've ever seen from Yano and its not particularly close. Best match of his life.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 am

Naoto v Ishii is my new match of the tournament. Had it at ****3/4. B Block is killing it

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Anyone else not as impressed with Hangman Page tonight? I actually think he performed better in the Elgin and Fale matches. The first big dive botch wasn't his fault but the buckshot lariat is such a shitty looking move, and using it multiple times a match really doesn't help. Plus that last rainmaker counter was just really sloppy. Good for him for getting the crowd behind him, but I didn't get the sense that it was the biggest match of his career.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:39 pm

White vs. Elgin was the match of the night on another underwhelming A Block show. This one was somewhat similar to the Elgin/Page match from two nights ago in that it was basically just non-stop back and forth action. That was a nice change of pace for White too. His matches can be a little awkwardly paced at times, but he kept up with Elgin's smooth and fast tempo in this match.

YOSHI-HASHI has established himself in this tournament as the king of fundamentally solid but largely unmemorable matches, and he continued that trend in his losing effort against Suzuki. It was a good match (if you can look past the Butterfly Lock looking like shit, as always) but I feel like I won't have a clear memory of it by tomorrow.

EVIL vs. Makabe was nothing special. I really think EVIL needs to ditch his routine chair spots and walk-and-brawl stuff. He's a really good worker but it feels like he uses that extracurricular stuff as a crutch. In a tournament where Jay White, Tama Tonga and Bad Luck Fale are routinely cheating (and where Minoru Suzuki is doing a much better job than EVIL with the crowd brawling stuff) it just feels tedious and redundant to see EVIL going through the motions with similar tactics.

Tanahashi and Fale were having an okay match before it was predictably ruined by the standard Bullet Club OG interference crap. This stuff is really just making the Tongans look stupid since their rule breaking isn't even working in their favor for the most part. I thought that Fale losing all that weight would improve his in-ring performances, but if anything he's looked more uncoordinated and slow than usual in this tournament so far. Also I thought it was odd that Tanahashi completely abandoned the injured leg story that he was doing earlier in the tournament, but I guess that's not going to be an ongoing thing.

Okada vs. Page was pretty underwhelming. I agree with armsofsleep that this really did not feel like a “biggest match of my career” performance from Page, and I would add that it was a fairly lackluster conclusion to Okada's losing streak as well. I did think that the closing stretch of the match was pretty good, but everything leading up to it was mostly just kind of slow and plodding.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Yano vs. Ibushi was lots of fun. Yano mixing up the traditional amateur wrestling with his usual antics, which registered as a lack of focus at the beginning of the tournament, has become one of my favorite things to follow as the G1 goes on. He's genuinely unpredictable now. Ibushi was great here too, particularly when he was fighting with his hands tied together.

SANADA vs. Sabre was a really mesmerizing technical showcase, and much better than the match that these two had together earlier in the year (which I thought was the only lackluster match of Zack's otherwise incredible New Japan Cup run). I was shocked to see how fluid SANADA was at the complex technical holds. I would've thought it would be a bad idea to try to tell the story of SANADA outdoing Sabre on technique, but it actually seemed convincing here. I've been a little down on SANADA for the past year or so, but he's had a really impressive tournament so far, and he's still got some of his most appealing match-ups ahead of him.

Naito vs. Juice was the third great match in a row on this show. Naito switching up his usual spots to target Juice's hand was really impressive, and really played into Juice's strengths as an underdog character. The crowd was clearly really into this match, but they also had this weird hushed enthusiasm that gave it a unique atmosphere and tension. Great stuff.

I liked the show ending angle in San Francisco, but I really hope that this Bullet Club Elite vs. Bullet Club OG stuff doesn't go on past the September US show. It's been such a drag on this tournament, and that trend continued in the Omega vs. Tonga match. The Tongans just look so stupid, throwing away most of their points with DQ losses. Omega looks stupid for not coming out with backup in the first place. And while the rare moments where Omega and Tonga were actually wrestling each other were pretty decent, they were always quickly interrupted by more interference and crap that nobody wants to see in a G1 setting.

Ishii vs. Goto was pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be, for better or worse. I'm not as into the “two guys hitting each other as hard as they can” genre of match as a lot of fans are (and as this Korakuen crowd clearly was for this particular bout), as I feel that the matches can be pretty one-dimensional. To their credit though these guys kept up an impressive pace, didn't go too long, and didn't rely too heavily on tedious forearm exchanges, so I think it's fair to say that it was a really strong main event even if wasn't necessarily to my taste.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:16 pm

SANADA vs. Sabre was a really mesmerizing technical showcase, and much better than the match that these two had together earlier in the year (which I thought was the only lackluster match of Zack's otherwise incredible New Japan Cup run). I was shocked to see how fluid SANADA was at the complex technical holds. I would've thought it would be a bad idea to try to tell the story of SANADA outdoing Sabre on technique, but it actually seemed convincing here. I've been a little down on SANADA for the past year or so, but he's had a really impressive tournament so far, and he's still got some of his most appealing match-ups ahead of him.
One of the cool things about watching him in All Japan 2008-09 was seeing that he has always had this in him. That period where he was regularly teaming with Nishimura there and being his understudy may have been more than just a storyline...so, if he decides to spend the rest of this tournament shouting out to Nishi and that period of his career, I may actually sit down and watch his matches. It certainly will be more interesting to follow than anything else this tourney (outside of ZSJ's campaign).

Unrelated note: the cool thing about all of this DQ nonsense going on with the Tongans is that I'm completely immune to feeling anything negative about it. My general lack of interest in singles wrestling certainly is the thrust of why...but having lived through Izuika's 2009 G1 campaign also helps. It's hard to do anything more than shrug about what's going on now when you've seen the song and dance before, for many nights in a row like I did that year.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Elgin was a good but not great match. I was a little surprised at how deliberately paced this one was, considering the speed of Elgin's recent matches against Page and White, and also considering the good chemistry we've seen from Elgin and YOSHI-HASHI in the past. Still, this was a perfectly fine match, and probably the best one on a fairly lackluster and skippable show. Ironically YOSHI-HASHI seemed less fired up for this match where he finally got a victory than he did for his previous 3 losses, and I think if he'd done a better job conveying his emotions it might have taken this match to a different level.

I appreciate the fact that they made it look like EVIL had scouted Fale and was prepared for the Firing Squad bullshit, but the match was still ultimately ruined by the same dumb interference spots that we've been seeing from the Tongans all tournament. I hate this idea that they don't even care about winning their matches. Why even enter this grueling tournament in the first place then? It's not like anything they're doing is even making a statement or creating chaos. It just feels like they are going through the motions.

Suzuki and White did a good with the character dynamics of a tough guy vs. a chickenshit heel, but in terms of bell-to-bell action the match wasn't anything special. It was fine but not anything I'll remember clearly by the end of the tournament.

Tanahashi vs. Page was thoroughly mediocre. It felt less like a G1 match than it did a match on a War of the Worlds show from Deerfield Michigan. The spot where Page “broke” Tanahashi's air guitar was cute, but for the most part this just came off as a night off for both guys. I've liked a lot of what I've seen from Page in 2018 but he did not impress me with his performances against Okada or Tanahashi.

Okada vs. Makabe was yet another match on this show that felt like both competitors were putting in house show effort, although the last 5 minutes or so (everything from the point where Okada was no-selling Makabe's clotheslines) were pretty good. I can appreciate Okada's commitment to his storyline in his recent somewhat clumsier and more tentative in-ring style, but it certainly isn't leading to great matches. Honestly I'd say he's in the lower half of performers in this tournament so far, which I never would have expected.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Just came across an interesting stat about Okada and the G1, not sure if anybody else has mentioned it or not. Since Okada returned in 2012 from excursion, there's been 7 G1's. If we look at his record and his IWGP title status at the time you get some interesting info:

2012 - Okada is not IWGP Champion, wins the G1
2013 - Okada is IWGP Champion, doesn't win the G1
2014 - Okada is not IWGP Champion, wins the G1
2015 - Okada is IWGP Champion, doesn't win the G1
2016 - Okada is IWGP Champion, doesn't win the G1
2017 - Okada is IWGP Champion, doesn't win the G1
2018 - Okada is not IWGP Champion, ???

Every single year he's either entered as IWGP Champ, or won the whole thing. He only ever wins during years when he doesn't have the belt, and he only comes up short when he does have the belt. Technically his G1 win rate while not champion is 100%, the IWGP Title is cursed for Okada. If this pattern persists then he should really win this year too. I'm personally not expecting an Okada win this year though so I guess this statistic is only valid for another month or so lol.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Todays star ratings -

Goto v Yano - **
Naito v Tama Tonga - ***1/2
Ishii v ZSJ - ****1/4
Juice v Omega - ****
Sanada v Ibushi - ****1/2

Sanada v Ibushi really was superb. Sanada will be a superstar by this time next yeat

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 am

I thought Goto vs. Yano was a lot of fun, like all of Yano's matches so far this G1. It was a short match but they went at a really furious pace and packed in a lot of convincing nearfalls before Goto ultimately put his stablemate away.

Naito vs. Tama Tonga had more actual wrestling in it than most of the Bullet Club OG matches have so far, but it was still ultimately way too heavy on stale shenanigans for my taste. The crowd did react really heavily to this match though, so I guess that stuff is working for a lot of people.

I love the chemistry between Zack Sabre Jr. and Tomohiro Ishii. Much like Zack and Ibushi, these two have a really interesting clash of styles. I didn't like this as much as their G1 match from last year (Ishii's limbs being completely wrapped in ice packs at the end of that one is one of my most enduring memories of last year's tournament) but it was still really damn good and my favorite match of the night. My one complaint is that it feels like an arm bar shouldn't be enough to make Ishii tap out. I know that arm bars can be deadly in legitimate fights, but in the melodramatic world of pro wrestling it seems like it should take more to get a submission victory against the toughest and most stubborn guy on the roster.

I really liked Omega vs. Juice, but it got kind of a weird reaction from the crowd. They seemed to be into both guys, but they didn't really react at all to any of the spots where Omega went after Juice's hand, and I feel that that hurt the drama and atmosphere of the match even though there was really nothing wrong with the in-ring work.

SANADA vs. Ibushi had some cool moments and impressive displays of athleticism, but I had a little trouble getting into it. It didn't seem like there was any real story holding the match together, or at least not one that I picked up on. The match seemed to be designed to put over SANADA as a superstar, and I guess I can't say that it didn't work since the crowd reacted huge to everything he did, but while I've been impressed by most of his performances in this tournament so far I thought that he was less impressive than Ibushi in this case. I didn't predict this in the Pick 'ems, but I'm thinking now that SANADA might actually be the one to hand Omega his first loss in this tournament, leading to a King of Pro Wrestling title match between those two.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Todays star ratings -

Suzuki v Elgin - ***3/4
Evil v Hangman Page - ****1/4
Fale v Jay White - **1/2
Tanahashi v Makabe - ***1/2
Okada v Yoshi Hashi - ****1/4