G1 CLIMAX 28

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
OptionZero

Re: G1 CLIMAX 28

Post by OptionZero » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm

After the G1 Special, I am now fully subscribed to the Tanahashi-Omega track for WK13. Jay White's breakout performance as a heel means he's well worth a high profile singles match at WK13

I'd have:
Tanahashi coming out of Block A
Ibushi coming out of Block B

This teases the Ibushi-Omega main event, but I think it's too soon. Tanahashi winning would be a nice twist on his journey, and he can eat the loss. Omega would still get a credible scalp for his resume; both guys are big enough to headline, and it's a fresh matchup.

Naito will face the returning Chris Jericho for the IC title

Okada can face Jay White in a "Special Singles Match" for LEADERSHIP OF CHAOS, especially since we all have Jay beating Okada on Night 1 of the G1

I'd put Zach Sabre. Jr in the US Title match against Juice - now THAT will have good promos

That would put tons of English-speaking talent on the top of the card to cut promos and do international media interviews. It also pushes alot of younger talent forward to the top of the card, while still having the big 3 Japanese wrestlers in big matches

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm

>Okada not being in a top 2 match at the Dome

I'm afraid I've got some bad news brother, that ain't happening

Here is Tana's dome run as ace/co-ace, in reverse order from WK11 all the way to WK1:

Semi-main
Main
Main
Main
Main
Main
Main
Third from the top
Main
Main
Semi-main

If you think Okada isn't matching that run at minimum, you're crazy.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 pm

then have Jay win the US title back and make it a title match 3rd or 2nd from the top

times are different, NJPW has more elite, big name talent now

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 am

Whose to say that Okada's big match at WK isn't with Jay White?

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 am

I finally committed to my Pick 'ems. I feel pretty confident about the way I have the A Block laid out, but not at all about my B Block picks.

I have Okada, Tanahashi, White and Suzuki all mathematically alive going into the final A Block night, with EVIL and Fale respectively knocking out White and Suzuki, and then Okada defeating Tanahashi. Okada losing to White and Fale and drawing with Suzuki. The point totals I came up with were Okada (13), Tanahashi (12), Suzuki (11), EVIL/Fale/White (each at 10), Page/Elgin (each at 8), Makabe (6), and YOSHI-HASHI bringing up the rear (4).

For the B Block I have Ibushi, Omega and Naito as the only ones mathematically alive on the last night of their block. I have Sabre taking out Naito before Ibushi defeats Omega to win the block. I have Ibushi falling to SANADA, Ishii and Naito. The point totals I ended up with were Ibushi (12), Omega (12), Sabre/Naito (10), Juice/Goto/Ishii/SANADA/Tonga (all at 8), and Yano (6).

I really think that Okada vs. Ibushi is the most likely G1 Final. It's a big match but you aren't burning a likely future Wrestle Kingdom main event or anything with that one, and those are the guys with the most compelling relationships with the current IWGP Champion (though I think that Naito will beat Omega in the G1 and then go on to beat Omega for the title at King of Pro Wrestling, leading to an Okada/Naito rematch at the Dome). A lot of people here have made a compelling case for Tanahashi to win the tournament, but I just feel like that would be an odd step back after Okada so definitively put him in the rearview mirror at Dontaku.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I think figuring out Okada's path to Wrestle Kingdom is so damn intriguing right now. They can seriously go in so many different ways, and they can detour him away from the title for about a year if they really chose. A potential Wrestle Kingdom match with Jay White does seem realistic in my eyes, simply because if White beats Okada, then that can throw CHAOS into, well, chaos. White's character fits great as a stumbling block for Okada prior to Okada returning to the championship scene. It would also raise his profile quite a bit, and Okada would be able to get back into the championship scene in early 2019.

This is also what has made the A Block so intriguing to me because it has a mix of guys who can be foils for Okada in the near term before he gets back to the title. Tanahashi/Okada on the last night is crazy to me, simply because this has all the makings of being the match Okada needs to win before getting his groove back. However, the way this block is set up, it is possible that Okada is already eliminated from the G1 prior to this match even taking place or that he even loses this match to Tanahashi. That's why I'm so intrigued to see what Gedo does here. Okada could easily just make the final and win the thing, but based on how his character has behaved since losing the title, it seems like Gedo is going to drag out a redemption story a bit.

Gerard

Post by Gerard » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 am

Though the G1 results will probably be obvious once they happen, this year is still more of a question than last. So instead of going the safe route, I went ahead and picked Tanahashi over Naito in the finals. I'm envisioning a 1996 G1 vibe with Riki Choshu.

I thought the build to this year's Okada vs. Tanahashi didn't really feel like it was going to be Tanahashi's last hurrah, but this definitely could be given the amount of time to build it. I'm probably incredibly wrong but long term it allows a big Omega defence that's fresh given how they've been kept apart and it gives Okada another record to chase as Tanahashi will now have 3 G1 wins tied for second most ever with Tenzan, and frankly given Okada's age I think him surpassing Chono's G1 record is possible one day. WK 13 could be padded with Naito vs. Jericho 2, and a special singles match with Okada vs. a big name outsider (Daniel Bryan, I'm looking at you).

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Makabe vs. YOSHI-HASHI reminded me of the Tiger Mask vs. Kanemaru opener of Best of the Super Juniors in that it was one of the least appealing tournament matches on paper but turned out to be a perfectly solid G1 kickoff. I thought that YOSHI-HASHI did a good job conveying his urgent need to win and Makabe put in a lot of effort (which is not always a given for him). It isn't a match any of us will have a clear memory of by the time the G1 is over, but I thought it was better than expected.

Page vs. Fale was fine but the weakest match of the night. They had a good David vs. Goliath thing going with Page emphasizing his speed and agility and Fale focusing on his brute strength, but then the match was cut off midstream by the Firing Squad vs. Golden Elite antics. I can understand the necessity of clarifying which side Fale is on, but there's no question that it hurt the quality of the match.

Elgin vs. EVIL was a good, fundamentally sound match, with a well-told story of Elgin having to overcome the damage done to his arm. But even though I have no specific complaints about the match, I had a little trouble getting into it for some reason. Maybe I was just tired or something but the match didn't connect with me on an emotional level even though it was clearly very good.

Tanahashi and Suzuki had another really good match, though I thought it fell shy of the greatness of their New Beginning match. I do really like how unique and intense their matches together feel, with the minimal high spots and the focus on small personal interactions. But this was one of those matches where the guy who won was also the one who took way more punishment, which I always think is a little awkward. The inverted Dragon Screw was really cool (and the way Suzuki sold it made it look really brutal) but I almost wish that Tanahashi had won with one of his desperation rollups rather than be able to come back and hit two High Fly Flows after how much time he spent getting tortured earlier in the match.

White and Okada was the clear match of the night. White is absolutely killing it with the character work right now, and I love how every little spot he does includes some sort of extra nuance that is designed to make him look like as big a dick as possible. The way that he casually threw his hand back to knock Red Shoes out at one point was great. Okada had some good dickish moments too, like when he had White draped off the ropes in that headlock and then broke it at the four count by just letting White fall, but overall this was clearly the Switchblade show. I don't think this was quite the blow away Match of the Year level bout we're used to seeing as the main event of the first night of the G1 (and I assume we'll get more fireworks from tomorrow's Omega and Naito match) but it was a great start to the tournament from a storytelling perspective.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Saw bits and pieces of the first two matches. Don't think I'm gonna go back and rewatch, but the DQ in the Page/Fale match was funny when you consider the usage of chairs in literally the next match.

Elgin/Evil was very good, just under four star range. Elgin seemed to be leaning on his old school routine with less power more "indie cool" moves than I've seen of him recently.

Tanahashi/Suzuki felt more like an extended angle than a great match. I'm curious to see how Suzuki's leg torture plays into future matches.

White/Okada was the best of the three I saw and a 4 star match easily. White needed a decent amount gimmickry and shortcuts and Okada's current storyline is ok, but the action and drama was great.

Real easy watch for what I saw. Might be my way through the tournament (watch what I can live, no rewatch of tournament matches I miss unless they get buzz or if it's a wrestler/match I want to see)

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Frank is totally on the money about Makabe v Yoshi -Hashi. It may not be super memorable in the end but it was well worked and super fun. I will hang on to Makabe slamming YH’s head into the post in order to hit the spider German. Vicious spot.

Really dislike that Gedo cut Hangman and Fale’s legs out from under them with the DQ. It was a good match that was heating up only for the interference to kill it. I really hope Tana Tonga delivers and makes all this extra attention worth it.

Elgin v Evil was really good. Probably a 4 star even match for me. I was surprised that Elgin won but overall very good power match with a well paced finish.

Suzuki v Tana was hard to rank but I found to be super enjoyable. The initial five minute leg lock combo was beautiful and textbook study material for how to make a long submission sequence entertaining. Suzuki kept and switching grips and moves while Tana never stopped moving or doing little things to sell. This seems to set up Tana and Suzuki to be the walking wounded through the rest of the G1.

White v Okada was good but dragged a little to long in spots for me. If they upped the pace a touch I think we could be busting into MOTY discussion. White did come off like a star though and this solidified him as the undisputed top heel in the promotion. No one likes him and it’s great.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 pm

The theme here might be that Block A has stories to tell but Block B will have the high work rate bangers

Jay white and Okada was a narrative driven match and they were definitely saving stuff for future matchups

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Jay White is a god damn superstar. Loved his performance in the Okada match

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I liked the basic bizarro world story that Ishii and Yano were telling of Yano surprisingly holding his own in striking and pure wrestling exchanges and then Ishii turning the tables on him with a low blow and cradle, but they muddied the waters too much by having Yano do his usual turnbuckle removal routine mid-match. A fun idea for a match that wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

Tama Tonga vs. Juice Robinson was not a good match. I was hoping that Tama would step it up with this big angle he's involved in and everything, but this was a very lethargic performance from him. He seems to have all the physical tools, but he's just so bad at pacing his matches, and he isn't nearly a good enough promo to rely as heavily on mid-match talking segments as he does. Worst match of the tournament so far.

Goto vs. SANADA started off slow (and nearly completely lost me after the boring previous match) but they really built the match up well and had a very hot closing stretch. SANADA doing everything he could to prevent Goto from completing the Reverse GTR/Regular GTR combo was an exciting conclusion.

I love the chemistry between Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre Jr. Their styles are so completely different and yet they match up perfectly. I preferred their two previous matches with each other to today's match, but it was still a really exciting contest and my favorite of the tournament so far. That spot where Sabre interrupted the Golden Triangle Moonsault with the heel hook on the apron, and then continued the punishment on the floor, was great.

I'm stunned that Kenny Omega beat Tetsuya Naito. Naito winning here was one of the few match results in the whole tournament that I felt was a lock. I'm not someone who thinks that the company is actively holding Naito down or anything (and really him losing his first G1 match makes me feel stronger about his chances of winning the tournament, given the way that Gedo tends to book these things) but it is certainly interesting that he's taken such definitive losses to both Okada and Omega this year. This was definitely some high level wrestling but I do feel that the Omega/Naito matches have gotten progressively less interesting since the amazing match they had in 2016. This one had an incredible finishing stretch but it felt like the match took too long to get going, considering the pace that we know that these two are capable of working at together.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm not that surprised- i was skeptical of the "chalk" path that was laid out by many: Naito pins Omega but Okada wins the G1. Naito beats Kenny at KoPW leading to Naito defending against Okata. That was the obvious route to get to the biggest WK matchup

that path, however, would require Naito beating Omega in the block match AND in between G1 and WK, which is quite a hit to put on Kenny, who beat Okada for the strap

I had their match at 5 stars

I loved Ibushi - Sabre, ZSJ throwing counters on everything that lead to subs is always awesome, but you got a well executed Grappler v Striker matchup with fine work all around and great work rate. Great stuff

Yano working straight (mostly) was also highly enjoyable, the finish made perfect sense with Ishii, no-nonsense stone pitbull giving Yano his own shit back

Sanada - Goto was also a highly entertaining. Both dudes worked with urgency, which showed they took the G1 seriously. Fun back and forth. Good match

Juice - Tama Tonga . . . man, Juice tried, he really did. It's sort of amazing that Tama is highly athletic, has a big storyline role, but just . . . can't put it together. He needs to work much faster and harder to get heat in his matches, they're so deliberate and methodical that its boring

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Block A is off to a rough start with those BC interference nonsense and jay white antics for those who can't stomach it . They had used the two jay white main events to establish his character work but i am not sure it would be the kind to convince his doubters.

hopefully now that they have done the storyline stuff they will revert to the normal G1 style with the okada main events