G1 CLIMAX 28

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ceftaxias

Re: G1 CLIMAX 28

Post by ceftaxias » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:09 am

I just pulled two names and a city out of the air mate

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 pm

i am having a hard time on deciding the number of points needed to win each block

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 pm

rollup wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 pm
i am having a hard time on deciding the number of points needed to win each block
It’s gotta be 12-14 points. I just think of it this way: is there anyway Gedo let’s his tippy top guys lose more than three times and dip below a .667 winning percentage? I just can’t see him doing it.

So in my opinion I think that Okada, Tana, White, Ibushi, Omega, and Naito can finish with less than 12.

Then I saw it as being two other tiers: midcard champs/challengers and pin eaters. YH, Tama, Yano, and to a lesser extent Makabe are gonna eat some pins( again only my opinion) I have those guys in the 4-6 range and found them easy to pick for like I did the top of the card guys.

Where I struggled was figuring out where those midcard tier dudes fit and who they beat amongst themselves. A guy like Elgin I have pegged for 6 points just because of the math and prior history of Gedo not being afraid to job him. That B block became super hard to pick because I really wanted 5 guys to end up in the 8-10 point range while remaining below the three guys in the 12-14 range.

Sorry to reply to you and rant about tiering but your comment lit a spark.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:16 pm

B Block is so stacked with main eventers, it's going to be very believable for anyone to get a win over anyone else. I have the B Block winner with 12 points, and four other guys at 10-11 points. A Block could have a bigger swing because you have more bottom feeders and the two new guys, who will make statements with a few key wins as opposed to threatening the finals. I have the winner with 14 points, the runner up with 12, and three guys with 10.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:08 am

welp , with that angle at the end of the G1 special show , i would guess tama is beating kenny (to set up the SEPT us show?)and getting at least 8-10 points and potentially screwing the pickems of most people who had submitted

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:49 am

yeah, between that and Juice winning, that shakes up everything I predicted. I think losing US title opens up White to maybe win.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:14 pm

I agree with Rollup and Packerman. My bracket is blown up. I had Tama Tonga as a 4 point pin eater( very wrong), Juice as a scrappy guy nursing an injury who claws to 8 points( wrong, if he finishes with less than 10 I will be shocked and perhaps he will get to 12), and now Jay White doesn’t have the US title and had the night of his career so he could win the whole thing( plus all of his losses, I picked, were designed to set up future US Title challenges.

Also Gedo decided to remind everyone that Yano was a threat to beat anybody last night so he probably gets to 6 or 8 points.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm

On the subject of that, I've got Yano to go 5-0 and then lose out. Of course, that now means he'd get a US Title shot out of it, but hey, could happen.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm glad I waited to finalize my bracket until after the Cow Palace show.

For guys like Tama and White, the number of points they get doesn't matter too much. The big wins they get will matter much more. If they finish in the middle of the road with 8 points, as long as they have a few big wins (hi Okada and Omega!), they'll be fine. Also, don't look for a dominant performance from Juice. He's an injured champ who won the belt with a roll up. He's still vulnerable.

Juice and Tama ended up not changing points, but I did switch a few wins and losses around. I gave White another loss too, since big wins over Okada and Tanahashi will matter much more than getting to double digit points.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 am

don't worry about setting guys up for title matches, every single champion is gonna lose more matches than they have title shots to give. sometimes we get a little carried away with "every single gedo booked new japan result means something" when the booking has always been about putting puzzle pieces together to fit whatever overarching stable feuds are ongoing

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 pm

ceftaxias wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 am
don't worry about setting guys up for title matches, every single champion is gonna lose more matches than they have title shots to give. sometimes we get a little carried away with "every single gedo booked new japan result means something" when the booking has always been about putting puzzle pieces together to fit whatever overarching stable feuds are ongoing
The idea that every time a champion loses in the G1 it is setting up a title match hasn't been true for years, but people still cling to it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The higher profile the night, the more likely it seems to be. People were screaming about Ishii never getting a title shot, when it was fairly obvious they were never going to do Okada/Ishii.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 pm

For the record, I picked Jay White to win A Block before the show Saturday. I had him losing to Ibushi, which honestly I still don't know why I picked Ibushi to win the entire thing. I think it's because I generally have no idea who's wining this thing and I had to pick someone and I assumed White would retain and thus didn't pick him.

So yeah, I panicked haha. But I'm super excited because I have no idea what so ever. I think there's like five people that could win and there's a ton of different possibilities from whoever does.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:07 pm

White losing the US Title bodes well for his G1 chances imo

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Yeah I agree. I'm about 95% sure he wins Block A. Especially on the final night. That match with EVIL being semi main. Those two, even though they're on the cusp. are not headliners just yet so for those two to be in that position on the last night has to mean something.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm

I think Jay White is more likely to be the first person to win the briefcase on the way to WK than to win the G1 himself. Very much fits his character to beat the eventually winner and "steal" the title shot than to actually win it normally.