G1 CLIMAX 28

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Re: G1 CLIMAX 28

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:18 pm

B Block is stacked. We get Ibushi v Omega guaranteed, Omega v Naito III, and an under hyped Ibushi v Naito rematch from last year. Plus B block got the bulk of the midcard studs which makes swallowing Tama Tonga and Yano in the same block again easier.

A Block has is a little too top heavy with Okada, Tana, and Suzuki. These block will sink or swim depending on White and Page proving themselves. Also leaves a clear path for Elgin to stand out in that midcard 3rd from the top match every night as long as they book him relatively strong.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I know this is going to happen more and more as the G1 becomes more of a way to set up future storylines and burn a few big singles matches to pop big houses, but can't say I love the block lineups.

The B Block is awesome, with the obvious big stuff like Omega/Ibushi and Omega/Naito, but also sneaky great past matchups like ZSJ/Ibushi, Ibushi/Naito, Goto/ZSJ (people forget they had great matches!) and Ishii/Omega. Still, it's so stacked that you'd think they could've given up a decent match machine like Goto or Ishii and taken one of the lower rung guys from A Block. I'm a Yano fan so the only thing that annoys me about B Block is Tonga, who just fucking sucks and everyone who swore he was good needs to apologize (especially when people loved G.o.D., who always sucked).

And yeah, the A Block is just fucking dire. I'm not a Page believer, I haven't enjoyed any of his hyped matches from this year, and the lineup just isn't there for him to have consistent night to night performances. White is in a sink or swim position here, but saddling him with YH, Fale, etc make me very pessimistic. Even the biggest possible matchups (like Tana/Suzuki, Okada/Suzuki, Tanahashi/White) have had disappointing matches in the past. For the A block to even be watchable, all of the big time matchups have to deliver and one of White or Page has to put in the best work of their career. For it to be consistently good........I guess we would need injuries to happen haha.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm

This is one of those things where you study the lineups, match everyone up, pick your winners, and then have your entire list of match predictions burnt to a crisp by the end of the first show, lol. I'm excited for Page and White getting their G1 debuts, although I'm higher on White's work than Page's. Page is solid in-ring but lacks any charisma that makes me care about whether he wins or loses.

Block A leads me to believe that White is retaining in San Francisco, otherwise, all champions are in Block B and I don't picture NJPW doing that. It's difficult to read the direction they're going with the US title though... if Juice wins at the Cow Palace I don't see anyone in the B-block that would be a good challenger unless maybe Tonga wants a crack at a singles title.

Have Suzuki-gun ever had 2 members in the same block? More specifically, has Suzuki ever been in the same block as one of this team members? I would love to see a ZSJ/Suzuki matchup but I'd be floored if they both won their respective blocks.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Heather wrote:
Have Suzuki-gun ever had 2 members in the same block? More specifically, has Suzuki ever been in the same block as one of this team members? I would love to see a ZSJ/Suzuki matchup but I'd be floored if they both won their respective blocks.
Suzuki had faced with one Shelton X benjamin before

I look at Block B as the block to give the matches Fans want , and block A as the proving ground block for White and Page. will they pass the test ?

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Heather wrote: Block A leads me to believe that White is retaining in San Francisco, otherwise, all champions are in Block B and I don't picture NJPW doing that. It's difficult to read the direction they're going with the US title though... if Juice wins at the Cow Palace I don't see anyone in the B-block that would be a good challenger unless maybe Tonga wants a crack at a singles title.
Tama is really over with a bunch of American fans. He's not that good but his look/shtick is welcoming to current and/or jaded WWE fans so I could see them throwing him a bone.

G1 blocks are really interesting. I can't decide which one I like better because as good as B Block looks, Kenny and Goto can be really badly inconsistent in G1s. I guess the top-heavy stuff might carry it but looking at MiSu/Tana/Page/EVIL/Elgin in A Block I might prefer that one due to consistency. I'm also looking forward to Page and White as the new guys, even if they don't do well I'll still enjoy the spectacle of something new.

Anyways, my most looked-forward-to matches list looks something like:

* Naito vs Juice
* Goto vs Omega
* Ibushi vs Naito
* Elgin vs Tana
* Page and White vs everyone
* MiSu vs Okada
* Tana vs Okada
* Big Match Togi vs Okada (hoping these two can still deliver I really liked their 2016 G1 match and ofc the matches three years before that)
* Togi vs MiSu
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Is there any way Okada does not come out of Block A? I guess Tanahashi or Suzuki could, but that's about it.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:14 am

mlev76 wrote:Is there any way Okada does not come out of Block A? I guess Tanahashi or Suzuki could, but that's about it.
I guess maybe Jay White could be a dark horse to win the A Block, if only because the New Japan office seems to regard him highly, and his character would kind of be perfect as the sort to lose to Okada and Tanahashi but still backdoor his way into the finals a la Goto in 2016. However it doesn't seem like he's ready to have the epic Match of the Year Candidate style of match that everyone expects the G1 Final to be.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:13 am

I can't see Jay getting to the finals this year, even via sneaking through. In fact I actually think Jay is more likely to go the opposite way and not get enough points to get through but get big surprise wins over the likes of Tanahashi and Okada. I think that will do him the world of good in terms of raising his stock and hopefully he'll be in a position next year where making the finals is more realistic. I don't see Suzuki getting to the finals either. Honestly I think Block A is actually super clear cut and will just come down to Tanahashi vs. Okada on the last day in Budokan. Gedo has surprised me before though so who knows lol.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:50 am

mlev76 wrote:Is there any way Okada does not come out of Block A? I guess Tanahashi or Suzuki could, but that's about it.
I may be crazy, but I can easily imagine Tanahashi preventing Okada go to WK in A Block finals. More than a simple sour revenge from the former Ace (and a following new feud ?), i just don't see Okada at the WK ME this year.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 am

mrjoshdude wrote:I can't see Jay getting to the finals this year, even via sneaking through. In fact I actually think Jay is more likely to go the opposite way and not get enough points to get through but get big surprise wins over the likes of Tanahashi and Okada. I think that will do him the world of good in terms of raising his stock and hopefully he'll be in a position next year where making the finals is more realistic. I don't see Suzuki getting to the finals either. Honestly I think Block A is actually super clear cut and will just come down to Tanahashi vs. Okada on the last day in Budokan. Gedo has surprised me before though so who knows lol.
Yeah, I definitely think White making the finals is a super long shot at best. I expect Okada to win his block. The way the schedule is laid out, with White facing Okada on Night 1 and Tanahashi on Night 2, does make it seem like your theory of White beating the two biggest stars in his block but ultimately not making the final is probably realistic.

White is the competitor I'm most interested in in the whole tournament this year. So many of his matches are fresh. It really seems like the result of each match could go either way regardless of who he's facing. Plus he's a guy who really needs some breakout performances to get people to take him seriously as a top star, so it seems like he has the most to gain or lose of anyone in the tournament.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 pm

I created a pick 'em spreadsheet in Excel earlier today (full card listings in order of presentation, main events bolded, and when you select your winner it automatically tabulates at the base of the column... basically I wanted to learn how to make drop-down fields so I saw this as a great opportunity to take a stab at it)

Not sure if Rich/Joe would want an Excel-based form or if they want to go with Google docs for the pick 'ems but it's available to be sent to whoever wants it :)

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 pm

A few fun G1 observations from the schedule announcements today:

Evil and Jay White both seem to be placed in a spiked role given the placement of their match on the final night of A Block play but also because of the context of their match placements with Okada.

White obviously has the upset spot on the first of the tournament. Evil more interestingly gets to return to the scene of the crime so to speak when he faces Okada at Edion Arena in Osaka. This G1 rematch will take place at the same venue almost a year exactly from when Evil shocked the world and upset Okada and ended his year long undefeated streak. Perhaps we are setting up history to repeat itself.

B Block is super interesting not just because of the depth of the Block’s talent but because of its final night lineup in the Budokan. This night will most importantly and most tellingly feature..... Tama Tonga v Toru Yano. Why is this important you may be asking? Because in this humble fan’s opinion it means that Tama and Yano could very well be booked in a no consequence while the other four have high stakes. It also leads me to believe that Tama and Yano are truly there to eat pins this year and are coming into that night with 4 to 2 points at most. That might be hopeful speculation on my part but why save all these big matches for the final night if they aren’t going to have implications?

Edit: Just realized that B Block is definitely “everybody gets the New Japan Cup win back over Zach” block. It feels like he is definitely losing to Sanada, Naito, and Ibushi which really makes his chances more dire to me.
Last edited by Bloodbuzz Bunk on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 pm

How good would Block A (and the tournament overall) be if say, Makabe and/or Yoshi Hashi were replaced with more compelling guys?

like say . . . BIG CASS? kidding. Seriously, I would have liked Jeff Cobb or Ospreay or Taichi. I bet if Trent were healthy, he'd be in there too.

I think everyone else has it covered already, lets of great Block B matchups, an the last 2 block nights seem absurdly good.

Okada is the obvious one, but I'm hoping it's not him. I wouldn't mind a sleeper like ZSJ or Jay White, but thats hoping for too much.

Many ways this can go and i'm just eager to see how it plays

What do kenny/Ibushi do in their match? Will one lay down? Do they murder each other? 30 min isn't a huge amount of time but they could have a god tier sprint match.

Interfaction stuff will be meaningful. Jay White ominously said "CHAOS IS MINE" at one of the Kizuna Road shows . . . so thats groundwork for the Okada match. Omega-Tama has new meaning after the events of this year; plus first time ever Naito-SANADA

I wasn't watching NJPW at the time, but didn't Nakamura, the grizzled veteran found of CHAOS have to battle Okada a buncha times for lead of the group?

Okada-Tanahashi . . . just when we thought it was over, the table is set for Tanahashi to jump on a forlorn Okada. There's story yet to be told there, real deep isht

Gerard

Post by Gerard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 am

My main prediction for the G1 is that in the VOW G1 Pick'Em, this year's winner will get end up with fewer points/current predictions than last year's winner.