NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Mediocre - Bad Luck Fale vs. KENTA
Good - Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lance Archer
Great - EVIL vs. Will Ospreay, SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada
Match of the Tournament Candidate - Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

This was the best overall night of the G1 so far this year. The crowd was molten for everything and aside from Fale the wrestlers were all on their A game. I'm not sure that the Suzukigun guys had the best chemistry together, but they still put together a fun match based around their character work.

This was easily the best Okada/SANADA match to date. It started off fairly slow like all of their matches, but it ramped up really nicely and the closing stretch rivals the last few minutes of Okada/Ospreay as the most exciting ending to a match in the tournament so far. That TKO reversal to the Rainmaker was so smoothly done. I also really liked the detail of SANADA making sure that Okada was on his stomach so that he wouldn't be able to get the knees up for the moonsault like he always had in the past. The time limit drama made this a lot more dynamic and exciting than the usual overly sterile matches between these two.

Still Ibushi/Tanahashi was easily my match of the night, and probably my favorite of the tournament so far. Those guys just have incredible chemistry together, and I loved all of the callbacks to their previous matches. The ending Kamigoye sequence was exquisitely executed. I'm surprised that Tanahashi is already mathematically eliminated (which Kevin Kelly, in a rare error, seemed to miss).

I'm afraid that EVIL/Ospreay is going to get lost in the shuffle with all the discussion of the spectacular main and semi-main events, but that was an awesome match too. Ospreay can seemingly have a great match with anyone, and EVIL has really stepped it up this year after his lackluster 2018 G1 performance. I think EVIL works better with guys who have very different styles from him (like Ospreay and ZSJ) than he does with his fellow beefy hard-hitters.

El Vivo

Post by El Vivo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:46 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 am
If you are seeing negativity in regards to this G1, you are following the wrong people, my man.
You're right, yea.

It was a blast last night. Ibushi - Tanahashi was the best match of the night for me, i was absolutely invested in that match. Probably the Ibushi - Tanahashi match series is one of my favourites of all time, freaking loved it. And the whole afterscene was just incredible, Ace is eliminated "early". Easily one of the best matches in the tournament, maybe the very best on top. Just like Frank Olson wrote, SANADA vs. Okada was the best match between them. I'm not the biggest SANADA fan to be honest, and after the first fifteen minutes i had a feeling in my stomach that i won't like the match that much, but they proved me wrong. I poped loud when SANADA countered the Rainmaker and hits two moonsaults.

EVIL - Ospreay was an incredible match, too. Never thought that these two can have such a good chemistry. Sabre - Archer wasn't that good compared to the last three bouts, but still a decent matchup. Archer is simply awesome, love his G1 performance and i think he elevates much to the tournament itself. Zack is a phenom, i freaked out when he countered the Pounce into a Guillotine. Good stuff!

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Mediocre - Taichi vs. Juice Robinson
Good - Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb, Jay White vs. Jon Moxley, Tetsuya Naito vs. Shingo Takagi
Very Good - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano

When the blocks were originally announced I thought they looked about equally as good. But these two Osaka shows have really illustrated the superiority of the A Block. The B Block has still been very good for the most part, but between Taichi reverting back to his worst habits (outside of the great Shingo match), Jeff Cobb being consistently good but not great, and Jay White failing to step up, the B Block has had its issues.

My favorite match from today's show was actually Yano/Ishii. Yano opening with the same strategy that he used to defeat Naito got a great response, as did his less-wise attempt to bait Ishii out of the ring. Although this was the longest Yano match in the tournament so far, there was a genuine sense of urgency with both men on the precipice of elimination.

Naito/Shingo was good but a bit of a letdown. It started off very slow and it almost seemed like they weren't on the same page at times. The closing stretch was good, but the situation with Naito absolutely needing to win every match took away a lot of the potential drama.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Naito v Shingo was incredible you lunatic! 2nd best match of the tournament for me behind Okada v Ospreay

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:37 am

Ckkj14 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:48 pm
Naito v Shingo was incredible you lunatic! 2nd best match of the tournament for me behind Okada v Ospreay
Yeah, I seem to be way out to lunch on this one. It seems like most people thought Naito/Shingo was one of the best matches of the tournament. Even TJ Hawke gave it a positive review. It might have been a victim of high expectations for me, or maybe a victim of coming directly after three straight matches that I thought were all a little dry. But I don't know, it just didn't grab me all that much. One thing that has bothered me in this tournament is that I haven't gotten the feeling from either Naito or Jay White's recent matches that either character is desperate to win even though they have both spent a big portion of the tournament in situations where they absolutely need to win to stay mathematically alive. So I think yesterday's match lost me a little bit when it started out a lot slower paced than I expected it to be.

PrivateRadio87

Post by PrivateRadio87 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Three matches that I absolutely loved that I haven't heard a single particularly good thing about - Evil/Tanahashi, Goto/Cobb and White/Taichi. Jay and Taichi trying to out-bullshit each other (including a nutshot/Gedo Clutch right in front of Gedo) followed by the KILLER closing stretch - I thought it was a blast. Evil/Tanahashi I must have just been in a really good mood for or something because most pods/writeups barely even bother to talk about it and when it ended I thought it might even be in my Top 5 for the tournament. Also, we all think that since the wet fart with Fale in Dallas, Evil has been wrestling out of his mind this year, right?
Twitter: @FatmansAlright
Grappl: @PrivateRadio87
More thoughts on an often thoughtless medium: Writing Spirit Unleashed

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm

in my opinion both Evil and Jay White have had better tournaments than Sanada

PrivateRadio87

Post by PrivateRadio87 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm
in my opinion both Evil and Jay White have had better tournaments than Sanada
100% agree. I think if not for the Okada/Sanada match, we could almost call this objective fact.
Twitter: @FatmansAlright
Grappl: @PrivateRadio87
More thoughts on an often thoughtless medium: Writing Spirit Unleashed

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:54 am

Mediocre - Bad Luck Fale vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Good - Will Ospreay vs. KENTA
Great - SANADA vs. Lance Archer, Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

I hadn't been too high on SANADA's tournament prior to the Okada match, but he was back in his 2018 G1 form in today's really fun block match opener against Archer. For me SANADA is generally much more palatable in brief sprinty matches that show off his athleticism like this one than in lengthy main event-style epics. And of course Archer kept pace with him the whole way, having his second best match of the tournament behind the Dallas Ospreay match.

It was really disappointing to see Fale defeat Tanahashi. I had thought that the point of Fale in this tournament was just to be a fall guy in his final G1, but seeing him pick up big wins over major stars is discouraging.

Ospreay/KENTA had some really exciting moments, but it ran too long and there were times where they tried to do some high spots that KENTA may just not be capable of in 2019, as evidenced by his handful of very noticeable sloppy botches. The Falcon Arrow on the apron was sick, though.

Ibushi and Sabre always match up with each other perfectly, and I thought they had the match of the night. They've wrestled each other so many times in the last two years that it's almost impossible for them to offer anything really new at this point, but they have the best chemistry of just about any two people on the roster.

Okada/EVIL was a great main event and easily the best effort that these two have had together aside from their fantastic 2017 G1 match. That misdirection drop kick spot where Okada caught EVIL coming out of the corner was great. In fact every time that Okada stopped EVIL's momentum with a dropkick or that EVIL cut Okada off with a headbutt was awesome. EVIL is a guy who is typically hit and miss for me, but he's been really great throughout this tournament and has managed to stand out in a super stacked field where he easily could have gotten lost in the shuffle.

rollup

Post by rollup » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:36 pm

what a war between Ishii and Shingo !

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:12 am

Good - Toru Yano vs. Taichi, Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb, Hirooki Goto vs. Jon Moxley
Great - Jay White vs. Juice Robinson, Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Shingo vs. Ishii was definitely the best “two tough guys beating the shit out of each other” match of the tournament, and probably the best New Japan match of that type overall this year. (I remember also really liking Ishii vs. Nagata from the New Japan Cup, so I guess that would be the other candidate). Hopefully this leads to a NEVER Title rematch. I think Shingo has been the best wrestler on the New Japan roster in 2019.

White vs. Robinson wasn't as great as their San Francisco match (mostly because it didn't have the benefit of the great build or super hot audience that that match had) but it was easily my favorite Jay White match of the tournament so far. The targeting of Juice's leg was really well done, and it was smart to re-establish White's secondary submission finisher going into the big Naito match. As many others have pointed out White really should have moved past needing to rely on Gedo interference spots at this point, but that was really the only mark against the match for me.

Naito acting cocky in his match against Cobb did not make a lot of sense to me considering Naito's “win out and hope that Moxley loses out” scenario, and his lack of urgency in his past few matches has really annoyed me. That said he's still bumping like a madman, and he helped bring Cobb to one of his better matches in the tournament. That moment where Cobb launched Naito into the air with a sort of modified F5 was awesome.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Totally off subject question here but... Kota Ibushi is clearly on the gas no? The guy looks like a late 00s WWE guy right now

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm

ThommyGunn wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm
Totally off subject question here but... Kota Ibushi is clearly on the gas no? The guy looks like a late 00s WWE guy right now
I mean, he looks huge in his post-show interview.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Is it possible Ospreay passes Naito/Kota in the pecking order sooner on later? The Tana pin really feels like it's signalling something to come. Or maybe he's the new Shibata where we think every year is his year and it never comes. Ospreay was just as over as Tana in his match. Maybe I'm overreacting here.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:32 pm

That match was incredible. Is it ok to be slightly disappointed in Okada v Ibushi despite having it at ****1/2? Or am i just a dickhead?