NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Ckkj14

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am

Jay White v Ishii is my match of the tournament so far. White is absolutely incredible at all the little things and facial expressions and Ishii is the MVP of the tournament through 2 matches

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:47 pm

They really REMADE a star in KENTA in two matches.

:lol:

You can not convince me that Joe Lanza is not fantasy booking this shit.

His promos are fantastic, too. He has a motivation to his character that is really incredible...relatable.

Chris Charlton is in God Mode right now, btw. Best color commentator in the game.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Echoing BoxingRobes' thoughts on Charlton. For a guy who isn't necessarily a commentator as much as just a fan he really adds so much to the broadcasts. I like that they primarily use him for that time in between or after matches to really add to the stories and help the English speakers out. My only compliant with Kelly and Romero is they can be a little dry, don't have that issue with Charlton and also isn't as verbose as Callis.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 am

That's too bad the guy's voice doesn't really suit for the task, tend to distract me from his always very good adds. But I cannot blame him for what nature gave him.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Night 4 was not for me. Felt like some shit you'd see on Night 10 in front of a hard cam. That includes Jay White v. Tomohiro Ishii...I just don't think I am a Jay White guy. I expect a certain quality of in-ring performer at the top of the card in NJPW. I expect main eventers to DELIVER and I feel his ceiling is way below main event quality. Time for him to get downcycled.

Through four nights though...I like how things feel kind of whacky. The pick'em pool must be a blood bath. Like when you go a #15 beating a #2 seed and it just destroys half of the brackets in the NOON block of the Thursday games. If you're one of those guys that just lost a Final Four team you just sit back and want to watch the world burn.

Tomohiro Ishii v. Jeff Cobb
Will Ospraey v. Lance Archer
Juice Robinson v. SHINGO
KENTA v. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kazuchika Okada v. Hiroshi Tanahashi

My top matches so far.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:27 am

Bad - Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
Very Good - KENTA vs. Lance Archer, EVIL vs. SANADA, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr
Match of the Tournament Candidate - Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay

This was the best overall night of the tournament so far. The Ibushi/Ospreay main event was tremendous. The pace was slow enough at the beginning to lull me into thinking that both guys were truly working hurt, but the match really ramped up in intensity as they started going crazy with brutal shots to Ibushi's ankle and Ospreay's neck. There were a lot of great callbacks to the Wrestle Kingdom match too, including the sickest looking Hidden Blade to date.

The EVIL vs. SANADA match was so much better than the disappointing one that they had together in 2017. It did start out way too slow, but once they started hitting each other with their opponents' spots it became really compelling.

The only weak part of the show, and really the only weak part of the tournament so far, was the Okada/Fale match. I thought Fale's first two matches were fine, but he was back in 2018 G1 form here, looking uncoordinated and relying on lame interference spots.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Watching Moxley in the G1, I can't help wondering what we'd have been treated to if Daniel Bryan had let his WWE contract expire too. But maybe I'm just being greedy at this stage.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm

steve wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:59 pm
Watching Moxley in the G1, I can't help wondering what we'd have been treated to if Daniel Bryan had let his WWE contract expire too. But maybe I'm just being greedy at this stage.
Mox has me fantasizing about Reigns in the g1. I consider him to be the best wrestler of the the shield trio and would just love to see him outside the WWE system.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:46 am

Good - Jeff Cobb vs. Juice Robinson, Toru Yano vs. Jay White
Very Good - Tetsuya Naito vs. Hirooki Goto
Great - Shingo Takagi vs. Taichi, Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Moxley vs. Ishii was pretty awesome and definitely the match of the night. I do think that Moxley has a little bit of the Nick Gage problem in that he's great at creating the aura of an unhinged psychopath but then hits a lot lighter than you'd expect. But Ishii is just so damn good at bringing the intensity that the match turned out great anyway. Never thought I'd see an Ishii frog splash, but that was definitely one of the highlights of the tournament so far. I am enjoying Moxley's brand of pseudo-MMA technical wrestling that he's bringing to the tournament too. It's not particularly smooth but it's interesting because it's so different. That counter that he had for Ishii's sliding lariat was really cool.

I want Taichi to wrestle the way that he did against Shingo all the time. He breaks out that style every so often, and then he goes back to having tedious shenanigan matches, and it's frustrating. But today's match was terrific.

Cobb vs. Juice was mostly good but a little disappointing. They didn't seem to be on the same page during a lot of the match. It was cool to see Juice try some new things like the standing moonsault and the frankensteiner (even though he didn't execute either of them particularly cleanly), and I'm still really enjoying his tournament.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Decent - Zack Sabre Jr vs. Bad Luck Fale
Very Good - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer, KENTA vs. EVIL, Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA
Great - Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay

Okada/Ospreay was the clear match of yesterday's show, but I do think it suffered a little bit from the “nothing happens in the first 10 minutes and then there's a great closing stretch” match structure that a lot of people criticize big New Japan matches for. That closing stretch was fucking awesome though, with some of the absolute best reversal and counter sequences I've ever seen. The Spanish Fly counter to the Rainmaker and the flip out/clothesline counter to the Stormbreaker in particular were just absurdly smooth. Ibushi/Ospreay is still my Match of the Tournament up to this point, but a more eventful opening stretch might have put Okada/Ospreay in the top spot. Either way Ospreay has definitely taken over as my tournament MVP so far.

I still have yet to be blown away by KENTA in this tournament, but I thought his performance against EVIL was his best so far. I liked the way that he was leaning into the negative crowd reaction and acting like a dick, which I think is a much more compelling look for him than the stoic no-nonsense tough guy that he's been so far on the tour.

The ZSJ/Fale match was nothing special in-ring, since it was basically just Zack jumping on Fale and the big man not reacting to it, but the count out victory was funny and well executed. New Japan is the only wrestling promotion I've ever watched where count out victories actually seem cool, since they are teased in every match but actually happen so rarely.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm

If this tournament has taught us one thing it’s Evil> Sanada. When your have average matches with Ibushi you know something isn’t clicking

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 am

Ckkj14 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm
If this tournament has taught us one thing it’s Evil> Sanada. When your have average matches with Ibushi you know something isn’t clicking
There will come a time when we talk about EVIL in the same way we talk about Tomohiro Ishii as one of the best in the world.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:05 am

That Okada-Ospraey match was outstanding. Okada is so good when his matches are set around "just another day at the office" that escalates out of control in the third stage of the match. This match was worked nearly flawlessly. Loved the story told. My only gripe is that I never, for one second, bought in to Ospraey winning the match, even when he this man up for the Stormbreaker. For that, I can't give it five like some have, but settles in nicely at that ****3/4 level.

Kazuchika Okada is the greatest bell-to-bell wrestler of all-time and Will Ospraey is the best wrestler on the planet at this moment in time and they have an incredible G1 match. The day Ospraey beats Okada is going to be a big time moment in pro wrestling.

--

Moxley and KENTA have been so good in this tournament and such a breath of fresh air. I don't care what the qualifications are, but Lance Archer is my most improved wrestler on Planet Earth as a result of his performance in this G1. He's a great dude and I am really happy to see him become one of the best big men in the world.

Loving this G1 because its wacky so far.

Fale needs to go. His work is just shit, and I know he's basically the A Block's night off match, but he's not nearly as charming and funny as Yano in the same role.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:03 pm

So, through the first six nights, I've watched 90% of the tournament matches and aside from the Fale stuff, have enjoyed everything to some degree. Of the new and returning guys, Kenta, Archer and Ospreay have stuck out the most to me and Ospreay is probably right there with Ishii in terms of my overall favorite so far (His match with Ibushi is my favorite match thus far).

Moxley, Cobb and Shingo have all had decent stuff and both Cobb and Moxley got 4+ star matches with Ishii. I assume we'll see better out of Shingo and Mox and Cobb will fade a bit as the tournament goes on.

I will echo BR's comments above and go a step further and say Fale is currently the worst major promotion wrestler in the world. And his match with Okada is the current worst match of 2019. So fucking bad.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Taichi absolutely stunk the joint up today