NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
mlev76

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by mlev76 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Gauntlet 2 1/2
Ibushi Ospreay 3 3/4
Jr. Tag 3
ZSJ/Ishii 3 1/2
Tag Title 2 1/2
Cody/Juice 1 3/4
Kushida/Taiji 3
Okada/White 3 3/4
Naito/Jericho 4 1/4
Omega/Tanahashi 4 1/4

A good show with a very good last three matches, but after last year (which had 4 4+ matches), a bit of a letdown. A few matches needed more time, specifically ZSJ/Ishii, the Jr. Title match and Okada/White. Main event could've been just as good with 10 minutes or so shaved off it.

Cody/Juice was the worst big show NJPW match I can recall and I blame it squarely on Cody. Hopefully, Juice rebounds and has a good title reign.

Curious to see the future with Omega as his loss was definitive and there appears to be no direction forward at this point.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Tanahashi in his post-match promo made sure to note he and Omega are 1-1 and Omega did the same thing on Twitter, so if he does stay they definitely set that up as a long-term rematch at least.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm

I thought I was going to come on here and have a hot take about Jay White being a favorite against Tanahashi at New Beginning, but now I see that everyone else is predicting that too. I don't think it's a lock or anything, but it does seem like a loss would stall his momentum whereas it really wouldn't hurt Tanahashi at all. I don't think that Tanahashi and White have particularly great chemistry together, but each match has improved on the last one and both guys are red hot right now so the crowd heat should be off the charts if nothing else. Plus now that White beat Okada in like 15 minutes it really feels like he can end a match with a sudden victory at any time, so the match should be exciting regardless of the quality of the actual wrestling.

New Years Dash was a fun show as always. No real huge surprises or major new angles I guess, but I still thought it was a satisfying show. The closest thing to a big storyline development was Chase and Yujiro rejoining the Bullet Club guys, which is kind of silly considering how they were betrayed and beaten down in San Francisco, but also kind of works for their characters since they are both basically portrayed as sleazy doofuses. I was a little disappointed in the NEVER 6-man match, both because I think that the Bullet Club stranglehold on these titles over the past year has been pretty boring and because the Makabe/Yano/Taguchi team hasn't really proven to be as fun as I thought they would be.

While I'm not excited for the company to be going back to the LIJ vs. Suzukigun well yet again, I will say that the way that the individual members of the factions are being paired off does feel fresh. After Taichi stepped his game up throughout the World Tag League tour I'm actually really looking forward to his IC Title match with Naito. Suzuki and Sabre will be perfect first challengers for EVIL and SANADA. And if they keep Shingo and BUSHI vs. Desperado and Kanemaru to a 2-on-2 scenario and don't add in Roppongi 3K again that could be pretty great too.

Two matches I really enjoyed on this card were Roppongi 3K vs. KES/Iizuka and Ospreay/Ishii/Goto vs. KUSHIDA/Nagata/Cobb. On a normal Road To show any 6-man with a KES and Iizuka team would be an instant fast forward for me, but they had a really great David vs. Goliath dynamic with RPG3K, and it was fun to watch the juniors find ways to double and triple team their much bigger opponents. The post-match where the juniors sprinted to all sides of the building to escape from the angry giants was funny as well. The other 6-man match was easily the best bell-to-bell match of the show, with some incredible interactions between Ospreay and KUSHIDA as usual, plus fun fast paced work from the other four men. They only interacted for a few seconds, but I realized while watching this that I'd love to see Nagata challenge Ospreay for the NEVER Title, even though that's a match that never even would've occurred to me before. No idea who Ospreay's first challenger will actually be, since Nagata paired off with Ishii and Cobb went head to head with Goto.

Really excited to see what the New Beginning cards look like, especially with this bizarre format where they are simultaneously running in Japan and in the US. Presumably Juice vs. Beretta is a lock for the US side (and I wonder how Chuckie T factors into all that. although I suppose he could have a match with Finlay) but aside from that I'm curious to see where the next matches in these other feuds land.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 pm

NYD match quality was up from years past imo, but there were far fewer angles and nothing as big as last couple years.

A wild idea would have been for them to take the US title match OFF of wrestle kingdom and have it defended at NYD, so a match like Ospreay/Ibushi or ZSJ/Sabre would have more time, but thats kinda moot now with two nights in tokyo dome next year

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I give Kudos to NJPW management that they finally took a firm stance on time management. This show did not have any lengths, the undercard flew by and the three main matches got their time. What an improvement and in comparison the Wrestlemania 7 hour torture now looks even worse.

I agree with most of your ratings but am a bit higher on the Kushida match, which I gave 4 stars.

New Years dash was okay, but included mainly somejobber angles (Yoshi return,Taichi challenging Naito, ..).

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 am

Reaction on Twitter seems extremely mixed but I thought NYD was awesome. No need for giant angles when you had a WK the night before that had every title change hands. That WAS the big shakeup. So we got some teases of matches for New Beginning that I’m really into (Naito-Taichi obviously but also EVIL/SANADA-Suzuki/ZSJ, Tanahashi-White and even Nagata-Ishii) and some solid action. Nothing to complain about here. To be quite honest this is the most excited I’ve been for New Japan in many months. Everything feels fresh and exciting right now.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 am

Taichi v Naito is the only thing thats disappointing imo. Its a go-nowhere feud that feels very filler like. Naito shouldnt be losing to Taichi, so this is just killing time

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 am

A severe 3 day fever from hell prevented me To watch WK live, I only watch last night comboed with NYD. 10 hours of fresh njpw To Bégin the year is the better médication ever !

In my opinion, the force of this WK is his weakness : or is Well balanced. There is no garbage batch only good or very good compétition, bit in the same time, nothing made me think "Ok, I il watch it again tomorrow". Nothing legendary which could Turn this very good show in a classic.

Ecxept... for the return of Okada's Trunks of course. At last !!!

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am

OptionZero wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 am
Taichi v Naito is the only thing thats disappointing imo. Its a go-nowhere feud that feels very filler like. Naito shouldnt be losing to Taichi, so this is just killing time
I like it. Taichi need big opponents to grow himself credibility and he is capable of it even in defeat, and Naito must regain lackluster after a year quite mild.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm

ok they have uploaded the post match interviews and nagata and ishii mentioned each other so heres hoping it will be on the new beginning tour

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

It's wild to think that Jay White may be main eventing Madison Square Garden.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm

I don’t think Tanahashi is losing to Jay White and I’ll tell you why: Chris Jericho in his post match promo at Wrestle Kingdom said he wanted to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Title next. He then started listing publications he wanted to report this news and he mentioned Tokyo Sports, Weekly Pro Wrestling, a pair of long defunct other wrestling magazines (Weekly Gong & Baseball).....and the New York Times. Now, maybe I’m reading too much into that last one, but I don’t think Jericho mentioned New York as a coincidence. I think the main event at MSG is Tanahashi vs Jericho for the IWGP Heavyweight Title.

Of course you might ask where that would leave the New Japan Cup winner, but they do have another big show newly added to the schedule in (I think) Aichi for the end of April. So presumably the NJC winner could face the Tana-Y2J winner (likely Tanahashi but who knows!) there. That’s my theory, I guess we’ll see.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 am

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/m ... s/1239094/

I am bummed.

Sad, cause I really think "kenny's quest" hadn't reach all its endings. So many things To do, fresh feud To light, old to reignite...
Sad because, even if kenny is only a cog on a machine, he still je an admirable performer who just need Mai je To put a filter between his artistic fantaisies and that he should let see of it in the ring.

I am excited for him, cause new roads age full of promise, and thrilled for us cause new japan landscape définition change .

But... I l ost shibata and now omega... The voices of wrestlings can be cruel ;)

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:01 am

Partial cards, per Chris Charlton, for New Beginning

Clearly they are not fuckin around, no saving the Tanahashi/Okada straight tag, against White/Fale no less, plus White/Tanahashi for the strap

Stuff is gonna happen

Also DIGGING the tag title match btw ZSJ/Suzuki and LIJ

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 am

KUSHIDA is also leaving. Guessing He's WWE bound.
Who's Rob Viper ?