NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
OptionZero

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by OptionZero » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 pm

I'm glad they're continuing this ZSJ v EVIL feud, but hope that it gets happen at a match with stakes

I could see EVIL vs ZSJ in the NJ Cup

Maybe EVIL could be a kenny Challenger

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 am

OptionZero wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 pm
I'm glad they're continuing this ZSJ v EVIL feud, but hope that it gets happen at a match with stakes

I could see EVIL vs ZSJ in the NJ Cup

Maybe EVIL could be a kenny Challenger
With the All Elite Wrestling promotion rumors I'm not so sure that Kenny will be around long enough to have challengers past Tanahashi. He and EVIL have had awesome, underappreciated matches in past G1s though, so if Omega does retain the title at Wrestle Kingdom I wouldn't be opposed to an Omega/EVIL Title match.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Taichi really does seem to be weirdly focused and motivated during this tour for some reason, and he and Zack have surprisingly good chemistry as a team even though their partnership doesn't make much sense on paper. I've probably only watched about 10 matches from this tournament so far, but 2 out of the 3 matches that I would say are genuinely really good involve the ZSJ/Taichi team (today's against the LIJ boys and the one from last weekend against Ishii and Yano).
I actually think it does: they seem to be the two members of Suzuki-gun who have genuinely taken after the boss in reveling in their dickishness (it seems like Kanemaru does the dickery simply to get the job done, Izuika does it because he's got screws loose, Desperado does it while enjoying too but it comes off forced from him, and KES don't do it because they be big boys). They are very the "Sorcerer's Apprentices" contingent from the stable, with Suzuki/Izuika being the "Sorcerers" team. They also seem to be the physical incarnations of the two sides of Suzuki he presents most often in his matches: the dickhead skilled badass (Sabre) and the dickhead scummy heel (Taichi).

Favorite pairing of the tourney for those reasons, and I can't wait to be able to sit down and watch Just.Their.Matches.

DownriverDrew

Post by DownriverDrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm

So Excalibur will doing commentary with Kevin Kelly the last 3 nights of the WTL

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:55 am

DownriverDrew wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm
So Excalibur will doing commentary with Kevin Kelly the last 3 nights of the WTL
wonderful news! Excalibur would be an excellent addition to the English language team.
I really like that New Japan are trying out different options and with their base in LA this one makes particular sense.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Sorry to be that guy, but I have zoned out and not watched a single minute of WTL yet. Is there an article or anyone have any recommendations of anything that is must watch or shall I just jump in from today's show?

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 am

So is the WTL so low profile that no one cares that Chuckie T went nuts and appears to have broke up Best Friends? I assume this tour will probably be Dustin's last with NJPW as he will be used to restart Trent's singles career.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:40 am

Weirzbowski wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 am
So is the WTL so low profile that no one cares that Chuckie T went nuts and appears to have broke up Best Friends? I assume this tour will probably be Dustin's last with NJPW as he will be used to restart Trent's singles career.
I'm really glad that you brought this up, because otherwise I probably would've fast-forwarded right through the Makabe/Henare vs. Best Friends match. It's really interesting that they did this angle at this time, when there are still 7 World Tag League shows to go. I really have no idea where New Japan would be going with a Beretta vs. Chuckie T feud. I mean, there's no chance that they would make room for a singles match between those two at Wrestle Kingdom. Maybe Chuckie T is Jay White's mole inside CHAOS, although if that was the case you'd think they'd have him turn on Okada to start a heel run. It's a very intriguing direction in any case.

The other thing from today's show that I would say that everyone should go out of their way for is the Sabre/Taichi vs. Suzuki/Iizuka match. The first 5 minutes are so are just Sabre and Suzuki doing some very aggressive technical wrestling, and it's really cool. Iizuka and Sabre actually have a really cool closing stretch together, oddly enough. One of the best matches of the tour for sure, as the ZSJ/Taichi team continues to be on a roll.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am

Leave it to NJPW to present the best infra-faction Tag ever as one with...Izuka

Seriously tho, zsj/Taichi vs Suzuki/izuka was the best match of the tourney and dodged all the normal faction v faction tropss

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am

Empiresk wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Sorry to be that guy, but I have zoned out and not watched a single minute of WTL yet. Is there an article or anyone have any recommendations of anything that is must watch or shall I just jump in from today's show?
11/29 from korakuen has been the best night, so def start there

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Cheers for this. Watched the 29th show in full and loved it so much I watched the 30th straight after.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm

the two K Hall shows were very good but the team Okada/Tana v Bullet Club main events didn't quite reach the level i had expected. The third of the matches (2nd Dec main event) was stellar and should be essential viewing from this tour.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:18 am

WTL final card announced, VERY glad they're giving us two singles matches!

Goto v ibushi - NEVER title
Ospreay v Taichi - #1 contender for NEVER title

They don't seem to do explicit #1 contenders much, so this is a pleasant surprise

Looks like we will be blessed with Ibushi v Ospreay after all at Wk13

That's a hell of a midcard:

Ishimori v kushida
Ishii v zsj
Ospreay v Ibushi

Jeez, that's insane

Imagine if Hiromu came back and won the NEVER trio titles with evil and sanada
That would clean up some booking issues

GOD v Bucks for the Tag titles, dropping the never titles at a road to show

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Ospreay is gonna start 2019 with first-time singles matches against Ibushi and PAC, kind of crazy really

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Ospreay is my 2018 WOTY

Starting 2019 with singles matches against Ibushi at Wrestlekingdom and PAC at rev pro is gonna give him a fast start on repeating