NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
User avatar
PW17
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by PW17 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 pm
New Japan contracts are normally up in January right? When the time comes I have a feeling WWE will offer contracts to literally every single free agent just to fuck them over for running MSG on WrestleMania weekend. Same with ROH, I have a feeling everybody is getting an offer, and probally a huge one.
I'm not too concerned. None of their big Japanese names will leave, and I don't see Omega or the Young Bucks leaving just yet.

User avatar
frankpellow
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by frankpellow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 am

SamoKuma wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am
I do not exchange one box of elgin against two of evil, by example.
I might be misunderstanding you but do you think Elgin is twice as valuable to New Japan as EVIL?

User avatar
Tim_dawg
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 pm
Location: Oakland California
Contact:

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Tim_dawg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm

PW17 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 pm
Tim_dawg wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 pm
New Japan contracts are normally up in January right? When the time comes I have a feeling WWE will offer contracts to literally every single free agent just to fuck them over for running MSG on WrestleMania weekend. Same with ROH, I have a feeling everybody is getting an offer, and probally a huge one.
I'm not too concerned. None of their big Japanese names will leave, and I don't see Omega or the Young Bucks leaving just yet.
I feel like World Of Sport was buiseness, and running MSG is personal. WOS decided to restart and WWE signed everybody, even lower level guys that weren't getting good bookings in Europe. Running MSG WM weekend is much more aggressive and personal than what WOS is doing. I'll bet WWE throws giant contracts at everybody, even lower level guys like Yujiro or Yoshi Hashi just to attempt to gut New Japan. And I'll bet they attemp to do the same with ROH. Whether or not they accept the WWE contracts is one thing, but I'll bet they get offers, and good ones. Remember, Nakamura signed with WWE, anything is possible if the numbers are right.

Could be completely wrong, but I have a feeling things are about to get real interesting.

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:12 am

Anyone signed by WWE would be most of the Gaijin and whatever Native that actually wanted to go to WWE or escape the role Gedo gave them. WWE is very good at kneecapping promotions in the modern era to prevent growth.

Would be a blow to NJPW if Naito signed.

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 am

Dragonzombie wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:12 am
Anyone signed by WWE would be most of the Gaijin and whatever Native that actually wanted to go to WWE or escape the role Gedo gave them. WWE is very good at kneecapping promotions in the modern era to prevent growth.

Would be a blow to NJPW if Naito signed.
Naito would be nothing in the WWE and I think he's smart enough to know that. There's a certain pedigree of guys in NJPW who no matter what the WWE offers them money wise have to know that there's nothing there for them in terms of a major push or notoriety. Nakamura came in as an ex-ace on the downslide with NJPW. A Goto, Ishii or Suzuki are much safer where they are, and the New Japan Dads are all backstage hands as well.

I'm not saying most of the roster is bullet proof, but a lot of it isn't going anywhere. And as much I like the Tongans, the Chase Owens, the Hangman Pages... you could replace most of the gaijin besides Kenny and not miss a step. They're draws, but they're not indispensable.

User avatar
rollup
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:02 am
Location: Asia

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by rollup » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am

Tim_dawg wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm
PW17 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 pm
Tim_dawg wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 pm
New Japan contracts are normally up in January right? When the time comes I have a feeling WWE will offer contracts to literally every single free agent just to fuck them over for running MSG on WrestleMania weekend. Same with ROH, I have a feeling everybody is getting an offer, and probally a huge one.
I'm not too concerned. None of their big Japanese names will leave, and I don't see Omega or the Young Bucks leaving just yet.
I feel like World Of Sport was buiseness, and running MSG is personal. WOS decided to restart and WWE signed everybody, even lower level guys that weren't getting good bookings in Europe. Running MSG WM weekend is much more aggressive and personal than what WOS is doing. I'll bet WWE throws giant contracts at everybody, even lower level guys like Yujiro or Yoshi Hashi just to attempt to gut New Japan. And I'll bet they attemp to do the same with ROH. Whether or not they accept the WWE contracts is one thing, but I'll bet they get offers, and good ones. Remember, Nakamura signed with WWE, anything is possible if the numbers are right.

Could be completely wrong, but I have a feeling things are about to get real interesting.
other than okada , i cannot see who else who has a decent chance of succeeding in WWE and his departure would seriously hurt NJPW

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Not all wrestlers ever sign to even get a big push (more money, more exposure, change of settings, rats) or smart enough to know they prey on your hopes in your face to remove it later.

Nakamura was still in the top 4 guys before he left, even if NJPW wasn't pushing him as a IWGP hw contender.

Bloodbuzz Bunk
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:42 pm

So I recently came clean to my fiancé about my love of New Japan Pro Wrestling after 3.5 years together and since the wedding is two months away I had to spill the beans. She has been curious as to how it works and has been imagining a mash up of WWE style pro wrestling with a sumo setting and mostly sumo sized wrestlers. So last night I let it slip that I was behind in the G1 she encouraged me to put it on in background while we were both working on various chores. These are her observations:

ZSJ: he seems like a dick and he has a big Union Jack on his jacket. She is sorta a fan of his style.

Sanada: Sanada got by far the most positive praise of any of the six wrestlers she really soaked in. She loved the Mohawk and really wanted a pair of his black on white boots.

Naito: “That man has suit AND a cape, that’s a little much.” She also thought he had crackhead hair and thought it was gross that he spit so much.

Juice: Loved his tights and his entire get up. Called him Captain Jack due to his hat and this turned into Juicy Jack as the match continued. Disliked his dreads. She liked this match the most of all and got somewhat invested in it but obviously wasn’t as crazy about it as I was. But she did have this wonderful quote after a juice chop “ Wow you really heard the pop on that bitchslap”

Tama Tonga: “Is that guy supposed to look like Muhammad?(5 seconds later as Tama becomes more in focus on the screen) Wait is he Hawaiian?(urgently and concernedly looks at me) Is he shooting for a Hawaiian Muhammad look?”

Kenny Omega: That is a big belt. This greasy slime ball thinks he is all that in a bag of chips. “I don’t want to hear about his popularity or accomplishments until he wins the shampoo title in his match with hygiene.

So all it was good fun. Sanada, ZSJ, and Juice gained a new fan and 2 of the best/most over wrestlers in the world were called greasy and drugged out respectively.

User avatar
SamoKuma
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by SamoKuma » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Sanada is doing a great, great G1.

And whatever we can say about tama tonga, succeding in making sabre jr looks like a babyface is big heel success.

User avatar
OptionZero
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by OptionZero » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:51 am

After the most recent results, the Strong Style Unleashed card on 9/30 in Long Beach is starting to take shape:

ZSJ is beating Kenny the next B block night. If he loses he's mathematically eliminated, and he's not getting cut this early, particularly with a Naito matchup at Budokan. He is also quite over in the US due to his PWG/Evolve stuff, so ZSJ v Kenny rematch for the title in Long Beach is your main event

Juice v Tama Tonga. This was set-up by the Night 2 matchup that Tama won. Juice also lost to Naito, Omega, and Toru yano, but those dudes aren't US title material. Juice is over AF in America, and Tama Tonga will have interest due to the BC civil war stuff. I also expect that GOD will beat Young Bucks for the Tag belts at the G1 final

Hangman Page vs. Jay White. This will get page over even more. Switchblade is a hated man.

Young Bucks vs. Leo Tonga and Bad Luck Fale. BC civil war shit. This could also be expanded with Hikuleo and Haku if everyone's healthy, and you can throw in Cody and Scurll on The Elite side

User avatar
greenmanRD
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 pm

Before we start booking matches for Kenny in Long Beach, we need to remember that he's injured. Who knows what his recovery will be like after the G1, but he may not even be able to compete at the Long Beach show.

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:22 am

greenmanRD wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 pm
Before we start booking matches for Kenny in Long Beach, we need to remember that he's injured. Who knows what his recovery will be like after the G1, but he may not even be able to compete at the Long Beach show.
You see an X-Ray? I'm not convinced he's not working.

User avatar
SamoKuma
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by SamoKuma » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am

frankpellow wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 am
SamoKuma wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am
I do not exchange one box of elgin against two of evil, by example.
I might be misunderstanding you but do you think Elgin is twice as valuable to New Japan as EVIL?
Wow no i would not give my own tastes so much power ;) just sayin i prefer by far elgin to evil.

User avatar
frankpellow
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 am

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by frankpellow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:21 am

SamoKuma wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am
frankpellow wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 am
SamoKuma wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am
I do not exchange one box of elgin against two of evil, by example.
I might be misunderstanding you but do you think Elgin is twice as valuable to New Japan as EVIL?
Wow no i would not give my own tastes so much power ;) just sayin i prefer by far elgin to evil.
:) I was considering the value of the roster to New Japan after this and trying to think who were the most valuable. very interesting to try to factor in age, match quality, popularity, new japan-ness (dojo graduate), physical attributes, popularity and other elements.

User avatar
greenmanRD
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by greenmanRD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:22 am
greenmanRD wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 pm
Before we start booking matches for Kenny in Long Beach, we need to remember that he's injured. Who knows what his recovery will be like after the G1, but he may not even be able to compete at the Long Beach show.
You see an X-Ray? I'm not convinced he's not working.
I'm only going from his words, so he very well may be working, but of all injuries to work I'm not sure why you'd choose a calcaneus fracture.

Post Reply