NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
frankpellow

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by frankpellow » Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Just watched today's BotSJ show and couldn't stop thinking how Ishimori reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I can't put my finger on why and i wondered if anyone could suggest anything.
I don't know if it's the physique or the intense stare or the mannerisms. I must have thought it half a dozen times during the (very enjoyable) match and it must come from something.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Quick thoughts on the first night of the A Block:
- I’m glad they got the clear stinker of Kanemaru v TMIV done early because that had the potential to be real awful in a couple of weeks but was perfectly cromulent in front of a hot Korauken Hall.
- Flip v ACH was awesome and it took Flip all of two minutes to redeem himself in Japan. Also that has to be the best singles match of Flip’s career( depending on how you feel about the Ospreay one). If he gives that effort every match of the tournament and doesn’t get swallowed up than his stock is gonna skyrocket. ACH is almost criminally underrated since he left ROH and Evolve and isn’t seen as much.
- Yoh v Bushi was ok. Yoh and his kickass attire were really good while Bushi sandbagged it a bit. Usually Bushi brings it once he loses that shirt in a BOSJ match but he never got out of first gear tonight, imo.
-Ospreay v Ishimori was definitely holding something back for a rematch. Also Ishimori is ridiculously short so he is gonna have to find a way to make those control periods more interesting. Overall very good match though. About as good as Flip v ACH.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 pm

You loved Flip v ACH a hell of a lot more than me. I had it at ***1/4. I had his Ospreay match last year at ****1/2 for reference

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 am

frankpellow wrote:Just watched today's BotSJ show and couldn't stop thinking how Ishimori reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I can't put my finger on why and i wondered if anyone could suggest anything.
I don't know if it's the physique or the intense stare or the mannerisms. I must have thought it half a dozen times during the (very enjoyable) match and it must come from something.
Ishimori and Schwarzenegger do have very similar face structures. I don't know that I would have noticed this if you hadn't pointed it out, but now I'll never be able to unsee it.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 am

Ckkj14 wrote:You loved Flip v ACH a hell of a lot more than me. I had it at ***1/4. I had his Ospreay match last year at ****1/2 for reference
I would have both matches at 4 even. Really wasn’t feeling Ospreay v Flip as much as everyone at the time and I really liked today’s ACH v Flip match just telling a simple story of ACH not out flipping young Flip but winning through experience. Got both guys over imo.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 am

Frank Olson wrote:
frankpellow wrote:Just watched today's BotSJ show and couldn't stop thinking how Ishimori reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I can't put my finger on why and i wondered if anyone could suggest anything.
Ishimori and Schwarzenegger do have very similar face structures. I don't know that I would have noticed this if you hadn't pointed it out, but now I'll never be able to unsee it.
"I'm the Party Pooper"
Sorry about that ;-) Hopefully the quality of his work makes us get past the Arnie similarities.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm

The first two nights of BOSJ were really solid.

Tiger Mask/Kanemaru, which was the least intriguing-looking match in the whole tournament on paper, actually turned out to be a pretty solid match. I thought Kanemaru really dragged down last year's tournament with his boring heel antics, but he was pretty good here, especially when he was using young lions as weapons, which I thought was great. I'm not usually the biggest fan of surprise rollup finishes, but I thought this one was well done. Not a Match of the Year Candidate by any means, but a good kickoff to the tournament.

ACH/Flip was really good. They did a great job of structuring the match to hide Flip's weaknesses and emphasize his strengths. I was never the hugest fan of ACH during his ROH run, but he's really impressed me in all of his post-ROH matches that I've seen. He seems to be on a mission to prove that he's more than a highspots guy. His selling and psychology in this match was really strong, and I liked him presenting himself as a canny veteran and a power wrestler in this match. That one-armed deadlift German he gave Flip in the closing stretch of this match was really impressive.

YOH/BUSHI was pretty good but felt a little shapeless to me compared to the other matches from Night One. All of the individual moments were good but it didn't seem like there was any real story holding them together.

Ishimori/Ospreay was perfect for what it was, i.e. a match to whet our appetites for their inevitable rematches (with one likely coming up at Dominion) and to establish Ishimori as a threat. Ospreay's athleticism is just mind-blowing. That spot where he leapt over the chairs onto the stage, turned on a dime and then immediately flipped back onto Ishimori was amazing. I loved Ishimori's sliding German suplex while Ospreay was trapped in the ropes too. These two definitely didn't give everything they have away here, but I still thought they had the best match of the tournament so far.

I have the same general complaint about SHO/Dragon Lee as I had about YOH/BUSHI in that both matches seemed a little oddly paced and formless, but the Night Two match was a lot more energetic and explosive, so I preferred it. Whatever injuries Dragon Lee is dealing with don't seem to be effecting his energy level.

Desperado/Taguchi was my surprise choice for best match of Night Two. I really liked the opening of the match where each man was prepared for the other's trickery and they kept avoiding or countering each other's underhanded tactics. It was a very competitive and exciting bout that really played well to both men's unique characters, and it always seemed like the match could end at any time and like either of them could've won.

Sabin/KUSHIDA disappointed me a little. It wasn't bad, but it just seemed like Sabin was a step slower than the rest of the BOSJ field. I don't know, maybe the last KUSHIDA match I saw before this (the incredible Jr Title match against Ospreay from Dontaku) set my expectations too high, but I thought this was probably the weakest of the tournament matches so far.

Hiromu and Scurll nearly lost me with the slow start to their match, but it did pick up and get pretty exciting once they actually started wrestling. The thing where wrestlers start a match by spending several minutes trying to see who can get more cheers from the crowd always takes me out of a match a little bit (the most extreme examples of this being any time Ultimo Guerrero and Mistico face each other during the FantasticMania tours), and I feel that Marty has been relying too much on this sort of thing for the past year or so. It was cool to see Hiromu bust out a new finisher to pick up the victory.

I thought it was kind of interesting that each pairing (YOH/SHO, ACH/Taguchi, Kanemaru/Desperado, BUSHI/Hiromu, Ishimori/Scurll) had one win and one loss after the first two nights. Of course it's not clear if that was intentional or just the way it worked out, but I thought that was interesting. Hopefully the match quality and booking intrigue will stay at this level during the upcoming wave of single-cam shows.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Mon May 21, 2018 2:47 am

While I've never had much interest in this tournament over the years, seeing Desperado get as much as he's getting so far (he's fucking 3-0 in the tour to this point, we're not even talking in the tournament yet) might get me watching this year, or at least all of the matches he's involved in (both the tourney and non-tourney stuff). It might get me to watch Sho's block matches too, if Desperado reels me in enough.

If this doesn't end with him making semis, someone on the booking team needs to be air-dropped into the rough part of Philly in the middle of the night...

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 am

I think Desperado could do with a super push, tbh. Having him win the series and then the title would be a major upset to clear up the division a bit.

LukePuroresu89

Post by LukePuroresu89 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:41 am

Yeah, love Desperado, deserves more than he gets.
Agree with most of what was said previously, I did think that SHO/D. Lee was the standout from Night 2 though. Much better than YOH's singles match.

Night 1 was definitely the better night. Although if Ospreay is taking offence, his selling does lose me, I really hate the "squealing like a gutted pig" thing that he does, really takes me out of it.

mattprentice

Post by mattprentice » Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am

I really wish New Japan would just sign Dragon Lee.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Tue May 22, 2018 8:10 pm

The tournie matches on Night four were varied and excellent.
Sho and Sabin had a good athletic encounter. There were some wonderful stretches of reversals and transitions towards the end but Sabin takes me out of the match sometimes by doing illogical things (like not grabbing the ropes when he's close to them) which is not what I want.
Taguchi and Dragon Lee had a lot of fun in their match. Although not at all logical (doesn't seem to be a problem for me in the case) it was very enjoyable. Interesting to see Taguchi's role in the Block is to bring something more lighthearted when previously he has toned that done and brought the match quality.
Marty and Kushida worked a very technical match that i really liked. The crowd was very into it as well. Is Marty being moved away from the jr division now?
Hiromu and Despie brought the hate and for the first half it was a classic. It lost a bit of steam when they kept it to the ring later on but it was still an excellent match and my favourite so far. It struck me that these two are quite similiar and if Despie didn't have the restriction of being in Suzuki Gun (and all the stupidity he must therefore involve in his matches) and had a constant disregard for his health he could be as awesome as Hiromu.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 am

Tiger Mask/YOH was a fun grumpy veteran vs. flashy young guy match. Some of Tiger's grappling in the early stages of the match was kind of bland, but the match built really well and had an exciting closing stretch with YOH kicking out of that top rope Butterfly Suplex.

Flip/Kanemaru was fine but a day after watching it I honestly don't remember almost any details of the match except that Flip won.

Ishimori/BUSHI was a really good match. That spot where BUSHI was coming off the top rope to do the MX but Ishimori caught him in his own Codebreaker was really cool.

Ospreay/ACH was very good, although I do wish that they had committed to either doing an insane athletic display a la the Ospreay/Ricochet matches from the past two tournaments or viciously targeting each others' injuries. They took each approach at different points of the match and did a good job with both, but the match felt a little unfocused to me. It was still probably my favorite of the A Block single cam matches, but I think these two could do even better together.

I thought SHO/Sabin was terrific. They clicked amazingly well for two guys who I assume haven't been in the ring together very often. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Tempura Boys had a match with the Motor City Machine Guns at some point in ROH, but these two were wrestling like they were long-time rivals who knew each other very well. This was one of those matches that felt like it could've ended at any time with either man winning, which is exactly what I want to see in a tournament match. I was glad to see Sabin have a strong performance after a somewhat shaky first night.

Dragon Lee/Taguchi didn't do much for me. I like Taguchi and think he's often genuinely funny, but I didn't think that the antics were nearly as well integrated with the actual wrestling in this match as they were in his match with El Desperado.

I pretty much feel the same way that Case Lowe did about KUSHIDA/Scurll. Some very fine technical wrestling marred by Scurll's over reliance on interacting with the audience. I thought KUSHIDA's performance was really strong though, and I absolutely love the front roll into a DDT thing that he does.

Desperado/Hiromu was bonkers. They did a great job of getting across the idea that both men hate each other and have no regard for their own health. I'm always amazed at Hiromu's willingness to land directly on his spine when he does dropkicks or sentons outside the ring, but I still couldn't believe it when he did that in the stands. With his hair poking out of the hole in his mask Desperado looked like the serial killer in a slasher movie.

LukePuroresu89

Post by LukePuroresu89 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am

Best night so far in my opinion. Really liked SHO/Sabin, can understand the complaints about Scurll but liked that match nonetheless, Desperado and Hiromu will take some beating, match of tournament so far for me.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 pm

LukePuroresu89 wrote:Desperado and Hiromu will take some beating, match of tournament so far for me.
It does worry me a little, though--they destroyed each other so thoroughly, booking now has the option of telling the story that these two's respective tourney campaigns will begin to falter as the damage from this match gradually takes its toll on both men. That might stop Despy from making semis...shit.