NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ThommyGunn

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by ThommyGunn » Wed May 02, 2018 6:58 pm

So does anyone else think Hangman is going over Kenny tomorrow?

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 am

OptionZero wrote:
I grew up in the Bay Area and live in Sacramento, about 1.5 hrs north/east (85 miles or so).

In July it should be pretty nice, 70ish. The Cow Palace is actually located south of San Francisco in a smaller city called Daly City,which is where the airport (SFO) is located.

I highly recommend Uber if you are staying in San Francisco because parking is nearly impossible most times of day and most of the area. If you are outside of the city, parking is easier and a rental is fine.

DO NOT hang around the Cow Palace area alone after the show, its a somewhat sketchy part of town, as it is outside of the main populace area.

There is obviously plenty to do if you're hanging around the bay area for a few days. San Francisco itself is worth walking around in, and Oakland is maybe 25 minutes (its only a few miles but the bridge is a bridge) to the east and Santa Clara/San Jose is only an hour south. There's probably a baseball game (A's or Giants) going on that weekend.

I've been to WWE, NXT and for MMA, WEC, but this will probably be my first/only time to see the NJPW dudes live
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm planning to do Uber, as everyone I know who's been to the San Francisco area says that trying to drive and park around there is a complete nightmare. I'll be staying at a hotel in San Francisco that's about 6 miles away from the Cow Palace. I considered a couple of hotels that were actually in Daly City, but I've heard that it's kind of a shitty area and I'd like to see a little bit of San Francisco while I'm there that weekend too.

As for hanging out around the Cow Palace alone after the show, I will make sure to be ready to defend myself with some Hip Attacks and Paradise Locks

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 am

Yeah, SFO is well outside the city and its mostly small cheap motels there. When I was much younger I grew up in Daly City and there were parts you wouldn't wander around in unnecessarily, its basically what you'd expect near a freeway with sparse population.

Between SF and the cow palace you don't need to cross any bridges, though, which is the biggest impediment. Heading south has multiple routes that don't require the free way so its the easier path than if you had to get across the water

PM me your info when it gets closer to the show. If i have a spare seat I might be able to give you a ride back into the city.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu May 03, 2018 2:52 am

ThommyGunn wrote:So does anyone else think Hangman is going over Kenny tomorrow?
Via some sort of interference, sure

Maybe BONE SOLDIER comes in and helps Team Cody!?

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Cody v Kota - ***1/2
Kenny v Hangman Page - ****

Pretty sure Hangman was legit knocked out from that V Trigger. Very similar to the Evil incident during the G1 last year

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Thu May 03, 2018 6:10 pm

After this Tanahashi/Okada match, I'm really not sure what other challengers are out there for the IWGP or the Intercontinental titles to headline Dominion. It kind of seems like we are heading on a collision course for Omega/Okada 4 or Naito/Okada or Tanahashi, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Thu May 03, 2018 6:20 pm

greenmanRD wrote:After this Tanahashi/Okada match, I'm really not sure what other challengers are out there for the IWGP or the Intercontinental titles to headline Dominion. It kind of seems like we are heading on a collision course for Omega/Okada 4 or Naito/Okada or Tanahashi, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.
I share the same feeling; thus I have concluded that Tanahashi is actually winning this match and we're getting a rematch at Dominion.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Another good/fine show with nothing major of note.

3.5 on Cody vs Ibushi and 3.75 for Omega vs Hangman. Can't wait for Ospreay vs KUSHIDA and Okada vs Tanahashi now.

I recently pulled/torn my groin playing football and I have been having trouble for weeks with it running and even just walking up stairs. Huge bonus points for Hangman for working through his groin injury as they fucking suck. Can't imagine doing a tenth of what he did even with a minor injury.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri May 04, 2018 1:13 am

Tomorrow is low-key stacked. I just remembered the BoSJ reveal + The Boner Rising on top of everything else.

Bold last-minute prediction: Jericho challenges Okada.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:Tomorrow is low-key stacked. I just remembered the BoSJ reveal + The Boner Rising on top of everything else.

Bold last-minute prediction: Jericho challenges Okada.
I totally agree with your bold prediction. Jericho can name check Naito in the build up to Dominion and they could parlay that into a match at the Cow Palace.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri May 04, 2018 3:45 am

OptionZero wrote:Yeah, SFO is well outside the city and its mostly small cheap motels there. When I was much younger I grew up in Daly City and there were parts you wouldn't wander around in unnecessarily, its basically what you'd expect near a freeway with sparse population.

Between SF and the cow palace you don't need to cross any bridges, though, which is the biggest impediment. Heading south has multiple routes that don't require the free way so its the easier path than if you had to get across the water

PM me your info when it gets closer to the show. If i have a spare seat I might be able to give you a ride back into the city.
Thanks, I will probably take you up on that! I can give you some money for gas if you do wind up giving me a ride

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri May 04, 2018 4:06 am

I thought today's show was just okay. As with the Hi No Kuni show it ultimately felt pretty skippable even though I watched the whole thing like the dork that I am.

On the one hand I think it's cool that New Japan respects its history and had the foresight to do a show built around the Bullet Club on the 5 year anniversary of that stable's birth. On the other hand that makes it all the more disappointing that the Bullet Club Civil War angle really did not progress in any way. We didn't even get the debut of the new Bone Soldier, which I thought for sure would happen on this show.

I thought Omega vs. Page was pretty solid (and I had no clue that Page had a groin injury until reading about it here), but it never really reached New Japan main event quality for me. Omega does have a way of making these hardcore-style matches feel legitimately dangerous and out of control, which I appreciate, but overall the match felt to me like a lesser version of the crazy G1 matches that Omega has had with EVIL.

Cody vs. Ibushi was meh. It's nice that Cody is getting legit reactions from the Japanese crowds now, and he is doing a good job playing the heel in this whole Bullet Club breakup story, but his matches are just so boring. I mean, does he really have to stop and pose after every other move? I know he's doing that for heel heat, and to his credit it's working, but it feels like as much of a crutch as the Suzukigun interference spots from last year's NEVER Title matches.

I did enjoy the NEVER 6-man title match. Scurll trying to bodyslam Fale made me laugh. I'm also pretty into the idea of EVIL and SANADA vs. The Young Bucks, which is one of those matches that I'm excited about partially because it's hard for me to imagine what it will even look like.

As with Hi No Kuni I thought the best match on the show was actually Tanahashi and KUSHIDA vs. Okada and Ospreay. I'm loving the interactions between KUSHIDA and Ospreay in all of these tag matches, and I don't think I've been this excited for a Junior Title match since I started watching NJPW regularly.

Does anyone think it's possible that Tanahashi and Okada go to a 60 minute draw tomorrow to set up a Dominion rematch? Like other people here have said it's hard to imagine who the next challenger will be, but at the same time it seems like having Tanahashi be the one to dethrone Okada would be a waste.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri May 04, 2018 5:12 am

Just watched today's Dontaku show and Frank's take among others on here nail my opinions on the show more or less, but I do have a couple of questions. Was Page legit knocked out there at the end of match or was that just selling because it seemed like he was not all there to me at least? Also in keeping with the comparisons to the Omega v Evil match from last year's G1, what is the protocol when that happens in a match? There doesn't seem to be one. Why can't they just go home instead of having to drop the poor concussed guy on his head again with a OWA? I have never been an overly concerned about wrestler safety(they are adults, they can make their own decisions) but in those moments when a guy is essentially unconscious I don't they have the capacity to consent to taking another risky ass bump in their condition.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Fri May 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Loved Okada vs. Tanahashi and KUSHIDA vs Ospreay. Wasn't excited for Jericho before, and I'm not excited for him now. With the angle they did, wouldn't be surprised if Naito/Jericho is also No-DQ as well.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat May 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I thought the second night of Dontaku was one of the better overall cards that NJPW have put out this year. I did skip over the Roppongi 3K vs. Suzukigun match (I love RPG 3K, but not enough to watch them wrestle a team that has both Iizuka and Taichi on it) but I thought that everything else delivered.

I really enjoyed the Young Lions vs. Veteran Juniors opener. It's a cliche for any New Japan multiman tag to start with one team attacking the other before the bell, but I really like it when the young lions do it to the veterans, as if they know that they are going to have to rely on pure energy and ruthlessness if they want to have any hope of winning the match. Of course it's also fun to see Taguchi, Liger and Tiger Mask eventually get grumpy and punish the young lions for their insolence. I've really been enjoying Narita a lot more lately, and he pulled out an absolutely beautiful fancy rollup at one point.

Another undercard match that no one should skip is the Goto/YOSHI-HASHI/White vs. Elgin/Finaly/Juice match. There were some really impressive interactions between Goto and Elgin, with the latter pulling out some moves I don't think I've seen from him before. Plus there was incredible character work from White. I love when he refuses to participate in the donut commercial pose that Goto always lead in these CHAOS tag matches. I was surprised to see YOSHI-HASHI pick up the fall after spending pretty much the entire rest of the tour being the pinfall eater. I hope that they save White vs. Juice for the Cow Palace.

I thought the Naito/Jericho angle came off really well and got a tremendous crowd reaction. The way that Jericho just kept coming back for more was really effective. I would suggest that maybe it's not a great idea to wear so much makeup if you are going to have a tight mask on for such a long time though...Anyway, that should be a really strong Intercontinental Title match. I'm not someone who needs to see the stars of the Attitude Era in New Japan, but Jericho has proven that he can still go at a high level and I'm much more excited to see he and Naito face off than I would be to see another boring Naito/Suzuki match.

The Jr Title match was awesome. I really think that Ospreay and KUSHIDA are each others' best opponents. This match did a great job of playing off of their previous encounters while still delivering some new stuff too. Some of the bumps they took were just insane, and the way that they played up each man's neck injuries were brutal. It was a really intense match and definitely one of the best I've seen this year.

Ishimori is an exciting addition to the junior division. I don't really follow NOAH, but everything I have seen from him there has been impressive, and he seems like a guy who will slide into the New Japan style very easily. It seems inevitable that he will win Best of the Super Juniors. I think it would be smart to have him go undefeated in the tournament to really build him up as a threat. It's a little weird that he's in the Bullet Club, but they are the stable that is lightest on juniors, and with Marty increasingly being presented as a comedy character it makes sense that New Japan would want a more serious junior in the group as well.

My first instinct when watching the main event last night was to say that it was great but probably the least exciting of the Tanahashi/Okada series, but since then I've read about some specific callbacks that I didn't pick up on and now I feel like I'll need to rewatch it more intently. For example I read that at the 30 minute mark of this match they did a High Fly Flow sequence very similar to the one that ended their 30 minute time limit draw from the 2016 G1, except with the wrinkle that Okada got his knees up this time. I'm sure that there were a lot of other cool little callbacks that I missed. I feel like this match needed to come with annotations or something. The ideal way to watch it would probably be to marathon all of their other matches right before watching this one, although unfortunately there's only so much time in the day. I thought the first 10 minutes or so were a little too methodical, but once Tanahashi interrupted the Rainmaker pose the match really picked up and got a lot more exciting. Doing a greatest hits type of match was probably the right call here, and I like that they ended it with one Rainmaker instead of a flurry of finisher kickouts.

I'm surprised they are going with Okada/Omega Part 4 for Dominion, since they seemed to be building toward an Omega/Cody rematch, but this is obviously much more exciting. With the defense record set and the Cow Palace show on the horizon it really feels like Omega has a chance of winning too, although I fear that if they do that Omega's first defense would be against Cody at the Cow Palace.