NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Bloodbuzz Bunk

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 am

Best Friends vs Elgin & Cobb is by far the best match of the WTL and probably is the best traditional featured heavyweight tag match in NJPW all year. I can't think of anything else off hand that tops it. A lot of that is due to Trent's selling but you have to applaud Elgin & Cobb for finding this much chemistry this quickly as a team that was thrown together last minute. Go watch it if you haven't.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Key NJPW act? Ibushi?

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 pm

I mean me and Joe/Rich may have a different definition of "key act", but January (Elgin's two year contract expires, right?), indie bookings (which Ibushi doesn't do that much now and Elgin does all the time) and VOW account delivering a scoop (Joe seems to be close to Big Mike) make me think this is about Elgin. I'd love it to be Ibushi though, sign the fucking contract man.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm

armsofsleep wrote:

Key NJPW act? Ibushi?
I see one of the replies speculate the name is Ricohcet. I figure that can't be who they're talking about since Ricochet is already gone from New Japan and everybody already knows what the story is with him. It has to be somebody else.

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Key Player signing a contract ? its got to be Chase Owens and not the cody man

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Let's break it down.

Key NJPW act: Member of the current roster, definitely not a jobber.

Last weekend of taking bookings: Coming to/signing to NJPW full time. Implies they work the indies a lot right now.

Only guys who that would fit at all are Elgin, ZSJ, Scurll, Ospreay. I would argue none of them are key acts but Ospreay seems the most key, with Elgin also atleast being plausible.

Ospreay is focusing on Australia stuff though right? So that means he would be taking bookings there.

So that pretty much only leaves Elgin. I wouldn't call him a "key act" but we all know Joe and NJPW sometimes. Weird because Elgin will assuredly still be in America anyway for Glory Pro stuff.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:44 pm

armsofsleep wrote:Let's break it down.

Key NJPW act: Member of the current roster, definitely not a jobber.

Last weekend of taking bookings: Coming to/signing to NJPW full time. Implies they work the indies a lot right now.

Only guys who that would fit at all are Elgin, ZSJ, Scurll, Ospreay. I would argue none of them are key acts but Ospreay seems the most key, with Elgin also atleast being plausible.

Ospreay is focusing on Australia stuff though right? So that means he would be taking bookings there.

So that pretty much only leaves Elgin. I wouldn't call him a "key act" but we all know Joe and NJPW sometimes. Weird because Elgin will assuredly still be in America anyway for Glory Pro stuff.
This is what was said concerning working full time for New Japan and working indies.

Also, concerning Elgin.

Another thing that would cancel out Ospreay is that he also has a contract with ROH.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pm

The talent in question has held a title in NJPW.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 pm

I think that's why I thought Ibushi. Atleast he's a "key player" even if he doesn't really work indies and he fits the profile of being a non-gaijin who's not really full time.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't want to say for sure that someone is WWE bound since when it comes to WWE you can't really say anything is for certain until it actually happens. Now with that said the January time frame for this person is interesting since the same thing has also been said about Ricochet. January seems to be when the latest NXT signees are due to report seeing that is when Kacy Catanzaro, Kavita Devi and Shadia Bseiso are all scheduled to start up.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Oh yeah, I mean Ricochet would be obvious if it wasn't basically known. What's stopping the lads from just being like "yeah Ricochet is going to WWE" when it's common knowledge anyway.

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:06 am

If it were an indie darling that would get out. So in this guessing game I'm thinking like a Smith or and Archer or someone like that.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Elgin had a signing ceremony at New Japan Cup in 2016, so his deal expires in early March next year. Considering he's booking Naito in February, he's probably signed for February for sure. Ospreay signed in April, there is a good shot he is gone in April next year to focus on other things; maybe WWE but more likely just the Australia/NZ stuff. Scurll is a title holder but not a "key act" IMHO. I mean he's done two shots outside of BOSJ. ZSJ hasn't held a title.

What makes this confusing is the gaijin thing is true; any gaijin working NJPW can take indy dates at their leisure, which most of them do. So if it's a gaijin, that's gotta mean going to WWE? If it's not a gaijin, it's gotta be Ibushi because everybody else is signed full-time AFAIK. But even as Team Please Ibushi Just Sign A Damn Deal, I really doubt it is him. I think he will conclude his dates with NJPW on Jan 5th, do his wild research for 2018 and then maybe, juuuust maybe be lured back in by Dome 2019. (Maybe Nak comes back and NJPW can dangle that carrot to Ibushi to get his name on the dotted line. Let me dream, guys.)

My picks are in the tag division - KES or War Machine headed to the sunny Florida, learning where the hardcam resides. The tag scene is booked like a mess but they are both 'key acts' in it.

Anyway, besides the Bloodbuzz Bunk recommended Cobb&Elgin vs Best Friends match, any other stuff you guys would recommend from this tournament? I've completely whiffed on this WTL (as I do every year) (and most years it's fine).

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:56 pm

It's probably Dave Finlay.

Most likely.

Hm.

Yeah.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I have watched WTL sporadically but in general B block nights have been passable to good. This last Korauken Hall was B block and it was very good all around including the undercard. A Block is struggling because it has the filler Bullet Club teams and Nakanishi slowing things down