NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 pm

FilipPejic wrote:So apparently Cody Rhodes announced he is the G1 this year
Can't say that I'm super excited about this if it's true, though on the bright side this might allow Cody to get his dream match with Shibata without having to do a full-blown feud between them. I don't think that Cody is terrible, but he is definitely not up to the standards of the average G1 competitor.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
Can't say that I'm super excited about this if it's true, though on the bright side this might allow Cody to get his dream match with Shibata without having to do a full-blown feud between them. I don't think that Cody is terrible, but he is definitely not up to the standards of the average G1 competitor.
Neither is Yujiro but the G1s of 2014 and 2013 were still the two best tournaments of all time despite him being in them. I don't think it's a huge deal. He'll have average matches every night that will fill the time and keep a nice flow. He's reliable in that while he'll likely never have a ****1/2 match he'll probably never go below ** either. I'll only take issue with this decision if Kojima isn't in again this year.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
Neither is Yujiro but the G1s of 2014 and 2013 were still the two best tournaments of all time despite him being in them. I don't think it's a huge deal. He'll have average matches every night that will fill the time and keep a nice flow. He's reliable in that while he'll likely never have a ****1/2 match he'll probably never go below ** either. I'll only take issue with this decision if Kojima isn't in again this year.
I understand what you are saying but at the same time, I just don't want to see Cody in the G1, yes maybe he'll have mostly **+ matches with a stand out along the way but there is BOUND to be New Japan home talent AND "available" US/ Euro guys who don't make the cut that would be significantly more interesting to me. At least with Yujiro there is some degree of loyalty as a new japan guy and even that has faded from them on the G1 front after so many insipid performances, Cody is (theoretically) in off the back of a manufactured hype which I simply don't comprehend!

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 pm

JB Gremlin wrote:
mrjoshdude wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
I understand what you are saying but at the same time, I just don't want to see Cody in the G1, yes maybe he'll have mostly **+ matches with a stand out along the way but there is BOUND to be New Japan home talent AND "available" US/ Euro guys who don't make the cut that would be significantly more interesting to me. At least with Yujiro there is some degree of loyalty as a new japan guy and even that has faded from them on the G1 front after so many insipid performances, Cody is (theoretically) in off the back of a manufactured hype which I simply don't comprehend!
Totally valid, I think I've mainly just resigned myself to the fact that it's happening and I've come to terms with that. Obviously I don't want to see him in it either, I think he's done an excellent job with his self promotion and kudos to him on that but it is for sure pushing out more talented guys from positions they deserve/could have done more with. That being said I don't think he'll necessarily drag the quality of this year's G1 down, it'll be more a case of him not really adding much to it where someone else in his spot could have done. Hey if nothing else I'd prefer Cody in the G1 than Tanga Loa so at least there's that!

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 pm

A common theme in recent G1s is polarizing, underappreciated, or generally disliked guys coming in with people scratching their heads or mocking them, and them pretty much turning people's opinion around by the end. We saw it with Marufuji and Elgin, and you can probably argue Honma as well as he was still an undercard guy when he filled-in for Ibushi.

Cody isn't bad, he just has that WWE style drilled into him which is hard to change. Seems like as time goes by, his matches generally get slightly better reviews, at least from what I pay attention to. I'm cautiously optimistic and this could very well be his coming-out party.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 am

So how much is the Long Beach capacity, now we know it's completely sold out? 3k?

Cody did an interview with Kelly in Feb that just hit World since it had to be subbed in Japanese. It's an odd one. Cody does this semi-annoying heel thing of turning every question back on Kelly like he's asked the dumbest thing in the world. So Kelly asked him, "Are you thinking about the G1?" and Cody goes like "Am I thinking about the G1, what do you think". It was low-key annoying, which I'm sure was the point of it.

If that's his "confirmation" then it's vague at best. On a recent AXS ep, YOSHIHASHI said he didn't know he was in the G1 until it was announced and Korakuen popped for him. Either that's kayfabe or YH is as clueless as one might assume, either way, I don't think it's official until it's official. What I can see is Cody calling his other gigs and telling them he's not available for those G1 dates. As to if he actually is in the tournament, we'll see.

I think there's a general divide on people on Cody. Like I think most hardcore NJPW fans see him popping in for three dates and then going off and if people like him, it's a mild like, because he hasn't really done much. To throw up a comparison, War Machine haven't done every tour in NJPW either but they've impressed everybody watching, so people are into them in this company. So it's not really about him being "part-time", it's that he's not done much of anything. So when he has this interview gimmick and talks a big game, it just feels so odd. Like you're not even here half the time, how are fans to know what this character is all about and get invested? I don't get it. Am I meant to be following ROH closely to keep up?

But I think more casual fans are into Cody in NJPW, regardless of whether they've actually seen results. They like that this guy is spreading his wings and facing new challenges and whatnot. Him being in the G1 will fit into that. Maybe he can hack it, maybe he can't, but I'd just like to see if he's actually a good fit for the regular NJPW climate before he does jump into the big tournament. I'm not saying I need to see his ass on a house show in Beppu but .. I kind of need to see him in a random house show in Beppu.

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:52 am

As long as Cody doesn't refuse to lose, him being in the G1 will be fine. He'll have average matches and crank out a great one as is typical for guys like him.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 pm

suplexberry wrote:So how much is the Long Beach capacity, now we know it's completely sold out? 3k?

Cody did an interview with Kelly in Feb that just hit World since it had to be subbed in Japanese. It's an odd one. Cody does this semi-annoying heel thing of turning every question back on Kelly like he's asked the dumbest thing in the world. So Kelly asked him, "Are you thinking about the G1?" and Cody goes like "Am I thinking about the G1, what do you think". It was low-key annoying, which I'm sure was the point of it.

If that's his "confirmation" then it's vague at best. On a recent AXS ep, YOSHIHASHI said he didn't know he was in the G1 until it was announced and Korakuen popped for him. Either that's kayfabe or YH is as clueless as one might assume, either way, I don't think it's official until it's official. What I can see is Cody calling his other gigs and telling them he's not available for those G1 dates. As to if he actually is in the tournament, we'll see.

I think there's a general divide on people on Cody. Like I think most hardcore NJPW fans see him popping in for three dates and then going off and if people like him, it's a mild like, because he hasn't really done much. To throw up a comparison, War Machine haven't done every tour in NJPW either but they've impressed everybody watching, so people are into them in this company. So it's not really about him being "part-time", it's that he's not done much of anything. So when he has this interview gimmick and talks a big game, it just feels so odd. Like you're not even here half the time, how are fans to know what this character is all about and get invested? I don't get it. Am I meant to be following ROH closely to keep up?

But I think more casual fans are into Cody in NJPW, regardless of whether they've actually seen results. They like that this guy is spreading his wings and facing new challenges and whatnot. Him being in the G1 will fit into that. Maybe he can hack it, maybe he can't, but I'd just like to see if he's actually a good fit for the regular NJPW climate before he does jump into the big tournament. I'm not saying I need to see his ass on a house show in Beppu but .. I kind of need to see him in a random house show in Beppu.
I usually really like the interviews and documentaries on NJPW World, so I gave the Cody one a try but had to tap out after a few minutes. At one point Kelly asked something to the effect of “so who is the American Nightmare?” Instead of giving some sort of answer that would, you know, actually clarify what his persona in NJPW is supposed to be Cody just said something like “who is the American Nightmare? I guess you'll just have to find out.” Cody also said something about how Juice Robinson found out what the American Nightmare was all about at Wrestle Kingdom, so I guess that means that he is all about having mediocre, unmemorable matches.

I don't hate Cody or anything, but to me he is clearly a step below most of the people on the New Japan roster both in terms of his in-ring and in terms of having a well-defined character and role. Right now he is very much just a guy. The best I can say for him is that he didn't really stand out as being out of place in the Honor Rising 8-man tag, but I've found his other performances to be very uninspired, and I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of him in BOLA, Ring of Honor, or 16 Carat.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

It was figured, but pretty much confirms Ricochet will be on the Dontaku and BoSJ tours.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 am

Frank Olson wrote: I usually really like the interviews and documentaries on NJPW World, so I gave the Cody one a try but had to tap out after a few minutes. At one point Kelly asked something to the effect of “so who is the American Nightmare?” Instead of giving some sort of answer that would, you know, actually clarify what his persona in NJPW is supposed to be Cody just said something like “who is the American Nightmare? I guess you'll just have to find out.” Cody also said something about how Juice Robinson found out what the American Nightmare was all about at Wrestle Kingdom, so I guess that means that he is all about having mediocre, unmemorable matches.

I don't hate Cody or anything, but to me he is clearly a step below most of the people on the New Japan roster both in terms of his in-ring and in terms of having a well-defined character and role. Right now he is very much just a guy. The best I can say for him is that he didn't really stand out as being out of place in the Honor Rising 8-man tag, but I've found his other performances to be very uninspired, and I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of him in BOLA, Ring of Honor, or 16 Carat.
I feel you. I almost didn't finish it either, but let it run in the background while I started on dishes and listened to the end. Cody can be a good promo but this was not it. It was just meandering and annoying, and didn't really drive any point home clearly enough to be compelling stuff.

I think I'd warm up to him if he actually stuck around a bit more and developed that distinct character. "Wait and see" is not enticing because none of his matches on the scene have been all that great. I have a very strong feeling he'll be in a title match at those LA shows - not the IWGP heavy title by any means but maybe something like the NEVER or IC. Or maybe not. But I'm already semi-dreading it.

My flight to Japan leaves in a couple of hours. I'm mobile-only in Japan but will try to drop in here on occasion to report back. The first leg of this trip is my WM weekend, pretty much, gonna be living out of Korakuen.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:39 am

Naito is now hyping up a "dream fight" with Tiger Mask W. Wait and see what happens because it *is* Naito after all, but it'd be better, make more sense, and probably draw more well than him vs. Juice would.

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/me ... es/670287/

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm

But Naito and Tiger Mask W have never interacted negatively as far as I know. Even in the War match with everyone fighting Tiger the Third.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 am

Here is the first official roster announcement for G1 Special in USA:

Kazuchika Okada
Tetsuya Naito
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kenny Omega

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 am

While nothing is confirmed, Cody R told RoH fans that he was in the G1 Climax.

@4:02

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Which is your dream junior vs heavyweight match in njpw current roster ?

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk