NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Goat wrote:Anything from the Makabe anniversary show worth watching
The LIJ tag match was fun. The Suzuki/Shibata interactions were good, but aside from that and the fun final stretch between Kanemaru and Tiger Mask the match wasn't worth watching.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 am

There's two new Kenny Omega interviews up on world, another "driving from the airport" style interview. He kind of re-positions himself as a savior of New Japan, and the only guy who can lead the international expansion, coming off as more a tweener than a heel, smartly appealing to the fanbase but remaining as self-assured as he's always been. There's a lot of interesting stuff there, even if the actual interview questions all circle around the same topics (ie why he came back, what his plans are now, has anything changed).

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 pm

This show was overwhelming to be honest. The WM/Young Bucks match was awesome, **** easily, the main event was even better, and the rest was solid at least. War Machine beat Matt and Nick and I guess they will also beat G.O.D tomorrow and that could lead to a title shot down the line, which I'm all for, they are great.

Also that little angle after the main event..that's gotta be leading to Omega's face turn, right?

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Both War Machine Vs The Young Bucks and The Briscoes Vs Cole and Omega were **** for me, a lot of fun with a good crowd. I was pleasantly surprised by how hard everybody worked, having gone into it expecting some lazy performances, Omega in particular looked very keen to continue his momentum. I was not overly excited about these two shows but after a good day today I'm really looking forward to a few of the matches tomorrow, the two main event's plus GoD Vs War Machine all have the chance to be match of the night.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:51 pm

This Cole and Omega angle has me psyched for tomorrow's event. The Elite's youtube videos have always portrayed them as having a pretty weird, sort of a friends-of-friends type of relationship but no real natural chemistry one-on-one as buddies. Those youtube videos can be dumb as hell but they work as a natural extension to kayfabe with this potential feud. And Cole can absolutely get fucked, he did a great job being an annoying douche in that match.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 am

What are the chances BONE SOLDIER quietly leaves the Bullet Club from here and is repackaged at some point in the coming months? Every regular member of the Bullet Club has returned for this ROH tour except for him, he isn't injured as far as I know and he just had the entire New Beginning tour off so it seems strange to me that he hasn't returned. He's always been terrible in every gimmick Gedo has given him so he might just straight up be retiring/leaving NJPW here too, or maybe he secretly smuggled himself away to Mexico to continue his legendary feud with Yoshitatsu. Whatever the case I feel like I'm more interested in Captain's career than I should be.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:04 pm

These Honor Rising shows were markedly improved over last year, and part of that was the crowd knowing the guys/company better and really being into the shows. Perhaps because the match lineups and delay in any real news made these seem like an afterthought but these were great shows. And yes, I have to use great because night 1 had TWO **** matches on it (Wrestle Circus has kind of ruined this bar but still). The effort all around was much more than your standard house show, maybe that was BC returning refreshed, I don't know.

Night 2 had maybe a better quality average (just slightly) - I thought War Machine/GOD was the MOTN with War Machine taking the honors for both shows. The main was an all-star game 8-man that you'd expect.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:34 pm

These shows overdelivered, probably because we knew what to expect a lot more than last year. These were more ROH style shows and while last year it felt weird and somewhat flat, this year nearly everything got a great, ROH-esque reaction. Seemed like they packed the house with every Bullet Club fan in Japan. The final promo by Kenny spoke truth to the theme of the show being "nobody's a heel" because just about everybody got a good reaction, or a mixed reaction (I have no idea why Silas Young doubled down on a promo that did not work the first night?). I think that helped some matches but hurt others (Cole is an annoying heel, but him being more popular than YH with this particular crowd took their match down a notch for me personally).

GOD vs War Machine was good, the outcome was a shock, but I definitely welcome these guys coming back. I love everything about the Taguchi vs Hiromu feud. The way Hiromu is scared to death of that ankle lock is just so fucking great. I think Cody looked more energized during these shows than I've seen him on the indies, and he definitely fit into the last match, it being a PWG-style tag match.

Rocky had the line of the night when Naito taunted him, "Why don't I speak real Spanish to you?".

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Night One was fun, and Night Two was a home run.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22 pm

That was one of the best non tournament korakuen's for new japan in ages. Everything felt fun and the show flew by. The top three matches were all really good. I had seen a bit of Martinez in ROH and actively hated him in the Survival of The Fittest last year where I felt he looked contrived and uncomfortable, here he looked much better and had, personally, a better NEVER match than Juice did with Goto on the first New beginning show, some of his mannerisms still looked a bit dated but on the whole I really enjoyed him here and it created a good match.

The World title match was really good, Yoshi-Hashi is really good at getting this building to believe in him in these singles matches and that really helped the match along, they worked well together and had probably the best ROH Title match in New Japan to date. It also hit me during this match how much better Rocky was on commentary, him and Kelly were good both nights but they were excellent here.

The Main Event was great, Bucks and Ospreay were fantastic together! The disappointing thing here was the small crowd for the Okada/ Omega face off which should have been a bigger deal. Cody looked pretty good here for me, he did nothing ground breaking but holding the match together and slowing it down when necessary while everyone else went crazy worked well, plus Ospreay bumped like crazy for him on a few spots. A really great show all around, I thoroughly enjoyed Strong/ Ishii last year but these cards were far better.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 am

Have only watched Night 1 and I loved the two tag team matches and I won't lie I popped huge for Cole snatching the mic away from Kenny and planting the seeds of the eventual power struggle. (Hey maybe it'll end at Power Struggle :) ) Have only seen the beginning of night 2 because of work and I won't lie I cringed when I saw the empty seats on the hard cam. My first thought was that the audience doesn't care about the first Omega & Okada have been in the same ring since WK. Second was that people don't care about ROH, but that crowd on Night one was packed and loud all night.

So now I ask, wtf happened? I'm gonna watch it regardless and I'm sure I'll love it since reading these reviews but still, I hate seeing crowds like this in promotions I love. Thought I was watching NOAH for a second.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:26 am

I'd guess a big part of that was a Sunday evening vs. a Monday evening. Kenny references it on his promo after Night 2 also.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:40 am

phenom951 wrote:Have only watched Night 1 and I loved the two tag team matches and I won't lie I popped huge for Cole snatching the mic away from Kenny and planting the seeds of the eventual power struggle. (Hey maybe it'll end at Power Struggle :) ) Have only seen the beginning of night 2 because of work and I won't lie I cringed when I saw the empty seats on the hard cam. My first thought was that the audience doesn't care about the first Omega & Okada have been in the same ring since WK. Second was that people don't care about ROH, but that crowd on Night one was packed and loud all night.

So now I ask, wtf happened? I'm gonna watch it regardless and I'm sure I'll love it since reading these reviews but still, I hate seeing crowds like this in promotions I love. Thought I was watching NOAH for a second.
EvanDeadlySins noted that Honor Rising Night Two was the worst attended Korakuen of 2016. The pattern repeated here for whatever reason.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 am

Second night of a double shot, on a weekday, with a bunch of guys a significant number of fans don't know/care about. Doesn't seem like cause for concern to me.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:13 am

The New Japan Cup bracket is out. Has Ishii vs. Omega and Shibata vs. Suzuki in round one.