NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Goat

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:33 pm

If you're going by the list on wikipedia that counts Muta and Muto as the same person which kayfabe wise they are not. So Okada will really be behind Tanahashi then for most days as champion.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm

i am planning to go to Tokyo for this years's BOSJ final and am pumped up with all the possible names involved for this years edition

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Who do you think will lead bullet club once Kenny is gone

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 pm

UditSharma wrote:Who do you think will lead bullet club once Kenny is gone

It already should be disbanded.
Who's Rob Viper ?

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:02 pm

What part of 4 life you don't understand

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I have no problem with people tired of the Bullet Club, but as long as those t-shirts are moving, it isn't going anywhere. Nor should it.

Anecdotally, I was at an indie show yesterday and GOD was super over. Tama Tonga's merch line was the second longest I saw on a show loaded with top tier indie stars.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 pm

BC merch sales will fall of a lot in 2017. Their whole shtick was that it was "cool". Trust me, I see how quick it is becoming an "un-cool" brand. Dudes decked out in BC gear now get eye-rolls and made fun of. Its not going to last much longer. The Bucks and Omega already don't really give a shit about it and once Omega bounces, that house of cards will fall so fast.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:41 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:BC merch sales will fall of a lot in 2017. Their whole shtick was that it was "cool". Trust me, I see how quick it is becoming an "un-cool" brand. Dudes decked out in BC gear now get eye-rolls and made fun of. Its not going to last much longer. The Bucks and Omega already don't really give a shit about it and once Omega bounces, that house of cards will fall so fast.
The thing about that is, people have been saying this for the last couple of years & yet the Bullet Club is still one of the most over acts in the indies. The Bullet Club has staying power. The sales may fall in 2017, but Bullet Club will still be a strong brand. Omega & The Bucks have done a great job marketing the Bullet Club, especially with the merchandise range. Even if Omega eventually leaves (although it appears Omega is loyal to NJPW), Bullet Club can bounce back. They have bounced back after losing Devitt & Styles.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm

People have been calling the BC uncool/over/jumped the shark months before Devitt left for his near endless NXT stint and long WWE injury lay off.

There's probably no accounting for taste but the well is far from dry.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 am

The Bullet Club is an ever changing group anyway, what it looks like today under Kenny is completely different to what it looked like under AJ and what it looked like under Devitt. The BC will never become uncool unless booking completely gives up on them. If they ever did begin to drop in popularity in any significant way I'm sure we'd see a shake-up within the group. It's an easy group to give a fresh coat of paint and we've seen that a couple of times since it's inception 3 or 4 years ago.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:58 am

I think in terms of Japan, the core of BC is in decent shape - Omega & the Bucks are great, Fale works well in his role, and G.O.D is finally doing good and over. Yujiro sucks but has a gimmick that fits him. Chase Owens only exists to get one spoiler win, eye-rake folks and then catch pinfalls, he's the definition of inoffensive. The ROH side is a lot messy, but then, we don't (thankfully) see a whole lot of them.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:13 am

ROH Bullet Club might as well be the Blue World Order.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am

I think that's still an issue though. Maybe I'm off-base, but I imagine most US fans who go to ROH and buy Bullet Club merch aren't watching Road To shows and they're not watching Bad Luck Fale openers, so they're not getting over-exposed on Bullet Club. But if ROH are going to revolve their shows around their version, then it'll stand more chance of getting tiresome for those people.

I don't know about Japan. I feel like stables are viewed differently and have more longevity, where-as in the US stables are set up as a storyline device and have a shelf-life before you get to the split storyline. Bullet Club is the stable with a lot of imports, it's probably going to stay that way for a while, hot act or not.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I don't see much evidence that BC are still moving much merch in Japan and I doubt US sales make much if any difference to NJPW's bottom line. Could be completely wrong though.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 pm

pol wrote:I don't see much evidence that BC are still moving much merch in Japan and I doubt US sales make much if any difference to NJPW's bottom line. Could be completely wrong though.
This is a totally anecdotal thing, so it doesn't mean that much. When I went down to Liverpool to see one of UK ROH shows in November it was pretty much a sea of Bullet Club/WWE t-shirts and merch. One of the vendors complimented me on my Timesplitters shirt so it wasn't all bad. It wouldn't surprise me if BC was still the number two selling t-shirt by faction behind LIJ. Provided they are still number two I don't see them going anywhere in Japan at least.

I think BC appeals to a more casual fan, we're all pretty much in a very small bubble. Pretty much all of us here are over BC, but provided the more casual fans keeps eating it up they're still going to be around.