NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Grammarian

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Grammarian » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 am

I know the discussion here is more serious, but I thought I'd give some levity (and love).

I would split time for you.

I've had a loose explosion in my heart over you.

Let's get cozy.

King Kong needs a mate.

My funky weapon is all yours!

I'll be your ace any time.

Let's make it rain!
Last edited by Grammarian on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:06 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:Kota Ibushi is gonna be on the 20th anniversary DDT show on the same day as the NJ Cup Final. If he's in, he won't make it to the Final.
Oh. Well, forget most of what I said, then. Maybe he will just win on March 6.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 am

Grammarian wrote: Let's get cozy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:36 am

Tiger Mask W vs Okada - dope, dope, dope. I doubt he will unmask, though. I think they want to keep brand synergy and anime continuity and all of those and the match will be great but won't lead to anything bigger.

This Togi Makabe 20th anniversary interview they posted in English is really cool. Have to commend the quality of the translations all around. They went from awkward English tweets on the global account to brilliantly contextualized and well-translated longform interviews on the website in the span of a month. Whether they outsourced this stuff or just hired some Japanese-English bilingual social media wizard, good on them for doing it.

Haya

Post by Haya » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:29 am

^ Couldn't agree more. Whoever is running the site is doing a great job - I especially love the results pages having screencaps and everything. I didn't really see myself going back to the site much after it first launched, but it's bookmarked now.

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Are the translations of the promos from Osaka on that site anywhere?

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Surprisingly, no.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 am

The translation seem to take a few days to go up for each show, which is odd. Maybe they'll get improve it.

Tiger Mask W having a women's wrestling storyline seems like it'd be something decided by the people making the anime and not have anything to do with NJPW. Still, "Spring Tiger" becoming an in-ring character on the most recently reviewed episode seems like it might paint NJPW into a corner. They don't do women's wrestling, but they have had characters jump from the show to an exhibition match on a NJPW show. If the purpose of this show is to get make new NJPW fans out of anime watchers, then those anime watchers might end up wondering why she's only appearing to walk Tiger Mask W down to the ring and not be in it herself. This is probably nothing but fascinating that the anime is hinting at a story that the associated wrestling promotion isn't going to be telling.

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:01 am

Having lapsed out for six months I'm very confused over this Tiger Mask thing. What is the relationship between the makers and New Japan? Does Ibushi own the rights to the mask, has he been endorsed by the show? Is the new Tiger Mask exclusive to NJPW?

And is it having an impact on the business side of things?

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:49 am

aivaz wrote:Having lapsed out for six months I'm very confused over this Tiger Mask thing. What is the relationship between the makers and New Japan? Does Ibushi own the rights to the mask, has he been endorsed by the show? Is the new Tiger Mask exclusive to NJPW?

And is it having an impact on the business side of things?
New Japan owns the rights to Tiger Mask and the anime. They started doing crossover matches with wrestlers dressed as characters from the new, revived anime as a way to cross-promote the products. People found out in like two seconds Kota Ibushi was playing the new Tiger Mask in these cross-promotional matches by looking at his nipples.

NJPW owns the mask, the character, etc. Ibushi won't commit to a contract so this is a way of using him and his starpower to hype up shows when he's available while simultaneously promoting the anime. Killing two birds with one stone.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Finally bothered to sort out paypal and I'm now a proud subscriber to NJPW World. My life as an outlaw has ended.

Having lots of fun learning to navigate the site and finding the matches that I've never watched. Definitely going to dig out the legendary 90's junior stuff.

The translations are great Beast God Thunder Riger :shock:

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Big Dave went full five on Naito vs Big Mike, which makes it a 13th NJPW match in last 4.5 years to get a 5* (or higher) rating.

Also from what I understand Dragon Lee should be working more NJPW dates this year, which is awesome. Desperado seems to be already 100% healthy.

With the news about Lance Archer's surgery, is anyone else hoping for Smith's singles run? Dude looked awesome in Osaka and Sapporo, would love to see him going after the NEVER title.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:Big Dave went full five on Naito vs Big Mike, which makes it a 13th NJPW match in last 4.5 years to get a 5* (or higher) rating.

Also from what I understand Dragon Lee should be working more NJPW dates this year, which is awesome. Desperado seems to be already 100% healthy.

With the news about Lance Archer's surgery, is anyone else hoping for Smith's singles run? Dude looked awesome in Osaka and Sapporo, would love to see him going after the NEVER title.
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Smith go for the title. He was a standout in both New Beginning matches.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Speedy Bellerin wrote:Finally bothered to sort out paypal and I'm now a proud subscriber to NJPW World. My life as an outlaw has ended.

Having lots of fun learning to navigate the site and finding the matches that I've never watched. Definitely going to dig out the legendary 90's junior stuff.

The translations are great Beast God Thunder Riger :shock:
The odd translations are probably the best part of NJPW World.

Bad Rack Ware. River People Tsuberseri. The numerous odd ones for Gedo. Let us know if you need any help finding matches or need any guides, there are a few out there that are invaluable for getting started.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Super late to watching Osaka so forgive me if this was already discussed but am I on an island liking Takahashi/Lee WAY more than Naito/Elgin? That's no slight on Naito/Elgin as I thought it was great but Takahashi/Lee was next-level great IMO.