NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
powerfulmgp

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by powerfulmgp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Goat wrote:
EvanDeadlySins wrote:"I can really see that New Japan is going to end up being like Crockett Promotions in trying to fight [WWE] and lose. Everybody else is going to be gobbled up by trying to be friends [with WWE] and lose. That's the direction for however long this is going to be, probably the next 3-4 years."
- Dave Meltzer, January 19, 2017 Wrestling Observer Radio (@ 2:00).

Lovely.
So no matter you're strategy you're doomed.
The only winning strategy long-term is to stay in your own lane and focus on running your business. If I became obsessed with stealing dollars from the major chain down the road and upended what works for me as a self-employed business owner to do so, i'd end up driving myself out of business.

Goat

Post by Goat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 pm

powerfulmgp wrote:
Goat wrote:
EvanDeadlySins wrote:"I can really see that New Japan is going to end up being like Crockett Promotions in trying to fight [WWE] and lose. Everybody else is going to be gobbled up by trying to be friends [with WWE] and lose. That's the direction for however long this is going to be, probably the next 3-4 years."

Lovely.
The only winning strategy long-term is to stay in your own lane and focus on running your business. If I became obsessed with stealing dollars from the major chain down the road and upended what works for me as a self-employed business owner to do so, i'd end up driving myself out of business.
The second WWE came raiding NJPW couldn't stay in that lane anymore though. One of the several reasons the company almost died in the mid 2000s is that Pride had made them look 2nd rate. If every year or two WWE plucks whomever they want from them NJPW has that problem again. They couldn't stand pat. Now I am not sure if the plans as laid out by Kidani is the solution, but doing nothing wasn't going to work long term either.
Last edited by Goat on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goat

Post by Goat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Goat wrote:
powerfulmgp wrote:
Goat wrote:
The second WWE came raiding NJPW couldn't stay in that lane anymore though. One of the several reasons the company almost died in the mid 2000s is that Pride had made them look 2nd rate. If every year or two WWE plucks whomever they want from them NJPW has that problem again. They couldn't stand pat. Now I am not sure if the plans as laid out by Kidani is the solution, but doing nothing wasn't going to work long term either.

noggy

Post by noggy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:14 pm

BradPTBN wrote:I'll also say, i'm interested in the venues NJPW pulls down since Koff has said it was very challenging finding places for ROH to work out of in CA.

Doesn't ROH tape all their shows? Their issue is probably finding buildings that don't look completely minor league. Considering these potential NJPW would probably be mostly untelevised/streamed it will probably he much easier for them to find acceptable venues. They do house shows in some pretty dumpy venues in Japan, I doubt they'll hold themselves to a higher standard in California.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Goat wrote:

Lovely.
Not necessarily. Crockett/Dusty blew money on private jets and new offices that they couldn't afford or need. If NJPW can focus on just wrestling, then they should be fine.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:33 pm

The difference is NJPW can lose badly in the U.S., retreat, and it could mean nothing in terms of Japan growth aside from egg on their face and some money lost. Crockett losing meant he was out of business.

But again, what I fear, is Vince taking this personally and raiding hardcore with the sole purpose of crushing them. AJ, Nak, & GnG were practical signings, all guys with varying levels of usefulness. Same for the others they attempted to nab, like Rocky (solid veteran hand, potential trainer), Fale (young, big, good look), and Tonga (good upside, bloodlines they love). They've already talked of doing a Japan territory like the UK thing. If you annoyt them, they may decide to do that with your talent. Throw money at everybody. Build their territory while also severely damaging #1.

NJPW was doing fine. I don't understand the mindset of tempting WWE to put a laser focus on you. But Kidani feels they already have I guess.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 am

Joe Lanza wrote:The difference is NJPW can lose badly in the U.S., retreat, and it could mean nothing in terms of Japan growth aside from egg on their face and some money lost. Crockett losing meant he was out of business.

But again, what I fear, is Vince taking this personally and raiding hardcore with the sole purpose of crushing them. AJ, Nak, & GnG were practical signings, all guys with varying levels of usefulness. Same for the others they attempted to nab, like Rocky (solid veteran hand, potential trainer), Fale (young, big, good look), and Tonga (good upside, bloodlines they love). They've already talked of doing a Japan territory like the UK thing. If you annoyt them, they may decide to do that with your talent. Throw money at everybody. Build their territory while also severely damaging #1.

NJPW was doing fine. I don't understand the mindset of tempting WWE to put a laser focus on you. But Kidani feels they already have I guess.
Does Kidani have a Dusty sized ego?
Who's Rob Viper ?

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 am

Let's just say that chief executives of companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars are rarely humble.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:50 am

All I can say is frankly this is the most I've needed the relaxing, fun, pointless Fantasticamania Korakuen Hall shows. thecubsfan's preview of which on the site was great and funny in parts, btw. Loved it.

What a week of wrestling news. Shibata cheating seems like it happened a decade ago, like who cares.

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:08 am

Well New Japan's strategy of having everyone look away from Shibata by flashing the shiny object of Okada's engagement was pretty brilliant.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:11 am

Wait until New Japan - USA team sets out their stall or strategy before completely writing them off or wallowing in despair. Meltzer is Meltzer but it is still one man's opinion. New Japan - USA will come out strong when they do the PR rounds.

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 am

This new WWE is honestly scary. It seems like that if you aren't willing to be their feeder, they will feel free to destroy you. And they have the money to do it. Extremely risky move from Kidani. Also, I'm going to make a prediction that they run a 300 seat show, judging on what Joe is hinting.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:29 am

Absolutely not. I would expect a setup of Korakuen Hall size, max. 1,500 give or take 300.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Is it just me or is this Soberano Jr a dead ringer for El Samurai?

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:28 am

Not much of a lucha fan but I did enjoy the matches I watched more than I probably thought I would. I'll try to stay up for the show tonight.

One thing I noticed was Okada didn't have any tape on him in his match. My theory was he'd go into his Suzuki match injured and Uncle Minoru would exploit that to win. I guess now that Okada's healed, Minoru will have to do something crazier than a Triangle Asai Moonsault over the railing through a table to take the title. I feel an upcoming six-star match in me bones. Or Taichi can interfere to give Minoru that cheap victory.

Also, I don't know if it was the camera angle or Hiromu, but the Time Bomb he hit on Titan was the best he's done so far IMO. Looked close to being that spin-out Air-Raid Siren that I assume he's been trying to go for this whole time.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks