NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Shibata didn't show any signs of injury in his match with Bobby Fish. In fact Bobby dropped him right on his head when there was still a while left to go in the match. Later Shibata busted his head open with another insane headbutt right before his usual sleeper hold/PK finishing combo. I only woke up in time to catch the last three matches so far, but I can't imagine that anything on the undercard was better than the NEVER title match.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Very good show. I expected a little bit more from the main event, but the rest went down exactly how I thought it will.

I didn't pay much attention to first 2 tag matches. I enjoyed next 2 6 men tags, they were both *** for me. Honma pinning Liger is really interesting, hopefully they have something planned for him or him and Makabe as a team. Tanga Roa being pinned is such a great news, hopefully that will be his new role.

O'Reilly/Juice was really great, given the place on the card. O'Reilly is so good, he NEEDS to sign full-time contract with NJ soon. I gave this one *** 3/4. Also Juice might very well win most improved award this year.

Both CHAOS/BC team A and LIJ/Tana and friends 6 men tags were really good, I had the first one at *** 1/2 and the latter at *** 1/4. The highlights were Will Ospreay being Will Ospreay and Taguchi being Taguchi.

Shibata/Fish was really great. I was really afraid that it'd be just a lot of safe grappling and nothing more, but Shibata wrestled this like there'd be no injury at all (and well, maybe there isn't any). A lot of dangerous looking Suplexes, especially the one where Shibata landed on his freaking neck. Shibata/O'Reilly is going to be fucking awesome. **** for this one.

BUSHI/KUSHIDA was a very good, but disappointing main event. Easily the worst KUSHIDA title match during 3rd reign. I think the ref bump happened too early and the fact that there was no unmasking came across as a disappointment. Also the finish felt really anticlimatic for whatever reason. Still, really good stuff. Just like this, KUSHIDA is 0-3 in his title matches at Destruction. *** 1/2.

So, who is next for BUSHI? I don't really see many people who could challenge him. Kanemaru maybe? Taguchi, Sydal? GEDO? Anyway, it looks like KUSHIDA is taking the title back sooner or later, possibly at Power Struggle or in the Dome.

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:31 pm

I don't know what it was about Shibata/Fish, but I really didn't like it. Thought it felt slow and I was begging for it to end. Which is weird, since I usually love Shibata. My personal MOTN was the Juice/KOR match, which I thought was easily ****. Juice has improved so much since his NXT days.

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:29 am

I think it's safe to say the Shibata spinal injury was a work. Good match, although I'm disappointed Fish didn't get more heat for all the working the neck he was doing
Juice vs KOR was really fun. Juice has slowly started becoming one of my most looked-forward to singles guys in the midcard; his matches have all been surprisingly good. Those Lion's Gate efforts have really put him on the map for me, it's nice to see someone improve like that in a relatively short space of time

I'm a BUSHI fan and it's cool he got the win here but I was a little unconvinced. Not looking like quite so much of a chump in the time between beating KUSHIDA at BoSJ and now would have probably helped. Match was a little flat to me as well. At the very least it was nice to see the crowd firmly behind BUSHI even in Kush's hometown; wondering if maybe he just needed to be given a spot like this in order to get the crowd showing their support, since 99% of the time the booking isn't there so why care
Pat on the back to whichever guy came up with him spitting the mist when taking the baseball punch, though. Looked awesome

EDIT: As far as contenders go Ospreay should still be in the mix. I'm assuming that Ospreay vs KUSHIDA at WK is still the match they want to do, so is it possible Ospreay goes into WK as champ and solidifies himself against the Jr ace? We already know Gedo loves a redemption arc

EDIT EDIT: Nah KUSHIDA wins it back in like a month or two, BUSHI goes back to geekery

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:38 am

I keep seeing people saying Shibata/Fish lacked heat. It didn't have a raucous crowd, but if you go back and watch, the people were very much into it. They weren't "hanging from the rafters" into it, they were stunned and shocked when Fish was tossing Shibata on his head and working the neck. It was a quiet murmur and a concern, especially when Shibata folded up after the German suplex with the awkward landing on the neck. They were very much with the match, just in a very nervous way, which is to be expected when you're told the guy has serious cervical/neck issues and he's being tossed on his head over & over. Whether the injury is real, worked, or somewhere in between, it was a brilliant way to exploit it, and it made for a very interesting and compelling atmosphere because it felt real. Another example of "the old work" being the new work.

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:54 am

I'm not sure what people expect from crowds that don't really know the ROH guys either. Hope no one is expecting a hot crowd for Cole vs Will or the tag title match. They can't react to people that they have no clue about.

As for BUSHI it's not his fault he was booked like a complete dork for most of the year. The way Gedo does things in general is he believes beating KUSHIDA at BOSJ and at the G1 final is more important than him looking weak the rest of the time. KUSHIDA will be the champ for WK so I don't quite understand people losing their minds. Gedo does this to all of his champs. Some things to keep in mind are that BUSHI has always been planned to be a junior champ. He was a pretty popular figure even before this heel turn. BUSHI and KUSHIDA are the same in that they were both signed from outside companies to bolster the junior division. The only difference is KUSHIDA got his chance first. They view both of them in the same light. If you look at it in that regard this has been a long time coming.

Be it the new pareja or the time bomb one of them is more than likely going to be in the title match against KUSHIDA at WK. Just......tranquilo.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:32 am

I don't think the loss hurts KUSHIDA at all, and I have no doubt he wins it back. I was a little surprised it happened now.

The switch itself was done pretty smart. There was enough shenanigans to make it seem like KUSHIDA was wronged, but at the same time BUSHI did enough to make it feel like he didn't totally back into the title.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:51 am

Only caught the last four matches. Of the four I watched, CHAOS/BC was the best because of how fun it was. Fish/Shibata was good for what it was, but I wasn't completely invested. Fish kicked his ass for the majority then Shibata does the headbutt/sleeper/PK for the win. Good match and good work overall though.

The main event was weak as fuck. It barely got off the ground before Naito interferes and all the air is sucked. I get Elgin was selling his knee, but when you take ten seconds after coming out to get to the ring, then chase Naito away by gingerly walking towards him, you bring down all the drama. Some sloppy and botched spots, one of which transitioned to a random Canadian Destroyer because reasons. KUSHIDA kicks out of the MX only for BUSHI to set up another which took a while and he got the victory. Abrupt ending to a match that never felt anything other than preliminary. Only a step above Okada/Goto from New Beginnings.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:30 am

jesse wrote:I'm not sure what people expect from crowds that don't really know the ROH guys either. Hope no one is expecting a hot crowd for Cole vs Will or the tag title match. They can't react to people that they have no clue about.

As for BUSHI it's not his fault he was booked like a complete dork for most of the year. The way Gedo does things in general is he believes beating KUSHIDA at BOSJ and at the G1 final is more important than him looking weak the rest of the time. KUSHIDA will be the champ for WK so I don't quite understand people losing their minds. Gedo does this to all of his champs. Some things to keep in mind are that BUSHI has always been planned to be a junior champ. He was a pretty popular figure even before this heel turn. BUSHI and KUSHIDA are the same in that they were both signed from outside companies to bolster the junior division. The only difference is KUSHIDA got his chance first. They view both of them in the same light. If you look at it in that regard this has been a long time coming.

Be it the new pareja or the time bomb one of them is more than likely going to be in the title match against KUSHIDA at WK. Just......tranquilo.
Jesse is on the money here. Looking at Gedo's booking all year, every year, and you'll see guys beating guys and losing to guys and still getting championship opportunities. With him it's not how many you lose but who you beat, because the roster's world-class and nobody's unbeatable. If BUSHI's a paper champion after beating KUSHIDA because he's gotten pinned elsewhere then he'll make it back when Gedo wants him to.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:40 am

As a BUSHI fan I'm pleased he finally got his title win, even if I don't think his reign will make it past Power Struggle, if that. Then again Gedo's booking hasn't been anywhere near as predictable as last year- so he might surprise again. Nearly everyone thought Okada vs Naito was set in stone for the next Wrestle Kingdom, but that does not appear to be the case anymore. So lets wait and see how this BUSHI runs play out, maybe it will just be a short token reign and not a strong run with the belt and there's nothing wrong with that at this moment in time, but no one really believed BUSHI would win the belt at this point in time, so it's not inconceivable that Gedo could get behind him as a dominant heel champ. Predictable is not a word you can use for New Japan these days.

As for the match itself, it didn't really live up to it's full potential but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a crap main event. It was good in parts but felt a little disjointed. Even though it didn't actually play into the finish, I could have done without the Naito vs Elgin cameo- for me it took a bit of focus away from the match and made the Junior Division feel less important, even though it was being showcased in the main event. Overall it had the right level of shenanigans (if you were expecting a completely clean match you would have been deluded, as BUSHI is a full card carrying sleazy heel)for both wrestlers to come out looking credible in both victory and defeat but the Naito and Elgin run in's I felt hurt the match.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 am

Juice vs O'Reilly was really good. Was proper into it and I heard the 10 minute announcement and the match kept on going. Is it just me of has O'Reilly put on a tonne of muscle? I thought he looked significantly bigger than usual. As other people have said, I hope New Japan can lock him down as I feel he could easily fill a slot up the card like Elgin has. The Shibata match could be great and I guess that will take place at King of Pro-Wrestling..

Solid show overall but I thought the main events just delivered the bare minimum. None of them hit the levels I thought they could and I feel they both lacked abit of pace. BUSHI will be an interesting Jr. Champion as I don't see him holding it until the Dome. I remember reading somewhere that Gedo wanted Ricochet vs Ospreay at the Dome so it will be interesting to see who BUSHI faces next. I don't know where they go with KUSHIDA but I hope he joins RedDragon and The Bucks in working with the heavyweights more as he has done everything he can with the Juniors now.

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:02 am

Empiresk wrote:Is it just me of has O'Reilly put on a tonne of muscle? I thought he looked significantly bigger than usual.
He said a while back he wanted to move up to heavyweight. I think he looks fantastic right now with the added beef

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:34 am

Tigerkinney wrote:As a BUSHI fan I'm pleased he finally got his title win, even if I don't think his reign will make it past Power Struggle, if that. Then again Gedo's booking hasn't been anywhere near as predictable as last year- so he might surprise again. Nearly everyone thought Okada vs Naito was set in stone for the next Wrestle Kingdom, but that does not appear to be the case anymore. So lets wait and see how this BUSHI runs play out, maybe it will just be a short token reign and not a strong run with the belt and there's nothing wrong with that at this moment in time, but no one really believed BUSHI would win the belt at this point in time, so it's not inconceivable that Gedo could get behind him as a dominant heel champ. Predictable is not a word you can use for New Japan these days.

Maybe the people on this site didn't think BUSHI was winning but the overwhelming number of people I talk to would have been shocked if KUSHIDA won. Honestly I can't really believe people are so surprised at this. I thought it was incredibly obvious.

I don't think the jr tag belts are going anywhere so I fully expect BUSHI and his new friend to me in that match for WK where as KUSHIDA is doing something with someone else. I'm personally still holding out hope that after he's finished having matches with Cup Noodles in RIZIN that we get Sakuraba vs KUSHIDA. That's pretty Wrestle Kingdom worthy if you ask me. We haven't see Saku around in a while either. Maybe he's the time bomb. ;)

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm

I know the chances of this are microscopic, but I think Matt Riddle and KUSHIDA for the Jr. Title would be pretty excellent.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:28 am

Shibata's been pulled from the rest of the tour. See you at KOPW PK man.