NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Morten VH

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Morten VH » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 pm

I can't say anything that hasn't been said. Gedo once again pulls an ace out his sleeve, when it comes to the main event scene. Much can be said about his absolute burial of the tag division and other areas, but this guy ALWAYS has a plan when it comes to the main storyline of the company.

Match itself was of course fantastic as expected. I really didn't mind the interference. It was such a cool angle, and i popped so big for Sanada, that it was totally worth it. The match may not have been a MOTYC but it was truly something special. And hell it was a MOTYC from the in-ring standpoint too, until the interference.

Overall excellent show, that is going right into my #2 spot for show of the year. Only one bad match and otherwise everything delivered better than expected.

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Crowd was so insanely hot for Naito.

They were actually chanting Ishii to go home when he interrupted after the match

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:55 pm

I have been waiting for Sanada to show up for like 6 years. Really stoked.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Juice Robinson and Ryusuke Taguchi: Great but short opener, match by match Juice is progressing nicely. Between Yujiro's dirty tactics and Fale's everything else, face team didn't have a prayer. Of all the splintering and member changes of the BC, it's good to know that Fale didn't loose his push as a monster heel.
Jushin Thunder Liger, Satoshi Kojima and Yuji Nagata vs. Chaos (Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi): Kojima!!! Oh and Yoshi-Hashi looked really good in this one, Sakuraba not so much, Yano lol....KOJIMA!!!
Los Ingobernables de Japón (Bushi and Evil) vs. Chaos (Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii): Decent match to set up a feud, it kind weird to see Bushi being completely dominated through the match, don't know why, it makes sense (JHW vs. HW, Ishii's in the match) but I though he'd put up more of a fight IMO.
Roppongi Vice (Baretta and Rocky Romero) vs. Matt Sydal and Ricochet: If Rick O'Shea is WWE bound, it kinda messed up a potential long reign for a really cool tag team, and eventually a really cool tag team. I'm happy for Romero's half dozen Tag wins, but I feel the wrong team won and the match, while good (super awesome for WWE/TNA/RoH standards), was slightly lacking for New Japan.
Kushida vs. Will Ospreay: I'm not much of a fan of "story telling" wrestling, I am usually in it for the action, often both intertwine in New Japan, and that's fine, but I usually want the latter instead of the former. But Man....this match told on heck of a story and Ospreay was a young Billy Shakespeare. This is the first time I watch this guy go and not only was I questioning if his hand injury was a work or a shoot (found out later it was a great, great work), the way he adapted his entire arsenal based on that "injury" was fantastic. He is a great pick-up by New Japan and he ran away with that match where he looked awesome in losing. Not to bury the champ, KUSHIDA did great too and I'm glad he's still holding on to that title. The longer he holds on to that title this time, the better his legacy will be and he deserves it.
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Yoshitatsu vs. The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson): A bit of a clustery spot fest (that got Cody Hall hurt), but a great vehicle for said spots from the Elite, new feuds (Fale still angry at losing to Tana in that elimination tag I see) and a feel good moment as both the man whose career could have ended 18 months ago (and I've seen too much of that lately) and the beloved gaijin living his dream, win their first ever titles in New Japan. I also feel that the NEVER 6-Man Tag is about as versatile as the WWE European Title. No physical, booking or storyline-related limits, anyone can (and anyone has) win the thing.
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan: I kid you not guys, I enjoyed Tenzan/Conway and Shibata/anyone else better than this. It was good for what it was, but Tenzan went to the headbutt/Mongolian Chop well one time too many. They tried (Tenzan quickly dodging Shibata's kick was epic), but now I just want Shibata/Nagata to begin so I can blissfully remeber that this match was better than it was.
Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa) vs. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma): Sadly the worst match on the card, there was no bite to it. Congrats for Tama finally getting his due (and getting his brother in the company), but everything else was just eh. I won't pretend that it was all the Guerrias' fault (Makabe ain't getting any younger) but both of them need to step up their game (in Roa/Loa's case he need 7 Rocky movies worth of training montages in the New Japan Dojo), cause now, they're the champs. For everything that was said about Guns n' Gallows and the Kingdom, I enjoyed them (Bennett mostly for bringing Maria), this not so much.
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada: Naito finally did it, a heel turn lots of cheating was involved, but it feels good that he finally reached the top of the mountain. The non-cheating parts of the match were great and seeing Sanada of all guys surprised me. Add in Jay Lethal and Truth Martini and LIdJ is quickly becoming on of my favorite stables.

Great show overall, not perfect and the HW Tag disappointed, but a good 4-5 well spent.

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Still in shock that I watched Sanada and Maruyama against Kodaka and Miyamoto live on samuraiTV less than 24 hours before Sanada showed up in New Japan. That's how crazy the whole thing is. He had his same old hair and wrestled his usual match and then 18 or so hours later he's making Okada his bitch.

2016 really is crazy.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

a7xweeman

Post by a7xweeman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:43 pm

So happy about Ospreay debuting! Although he did not win, he looked amazing out there!

STAP.

Post by STAP. » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Nakanishi is dethroning Shibata in Osaka. Calling it now. He's the final boss of the third generation.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Really good show that just flew by. Kelly and Corino on commentary was the best English commentary New Japan has seen, and I hope they become a regular for big shows.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:40 pm

This was probably my favorite NJPW non-G1/WK show in a year or two. Basically everything about it clicked other than GOD.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 pm

BackLash wrote:Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Juice Robinson and Ryusuke Taguchi: Great but short opener, match by match Juice is progressing nicely. Between Yujiro's dirty tactics and Fale's everything else, face team didn't have a prayer. Of all the splintering and member changes of the BC, it's good to know that Fale didn't loose his push as a monster heel.
Jushin Thunder Liger, Satoshi Kojima and Yuji Nagata vs. Chaos (Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi): Kojima!!! Oh and Yoshi-Hashi looked really good in this one, Sakuraba not so much, Yano lol....KOJIMA!!!
Los Ingobernables de Japón (Bushi and Evil) vs. Chaos (Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii): Decent match to set up a feud, it kind weird to see Bushi being completely dominated through the match, don't know why, it makes sense (JHW vs. HW, Ishii's in the match) but I though he'd put up more of a fight IMO.
Roppongi Vice (Baretta and Rocky Romero) vs. Matt Sydal and Ricochet: If Rick O'Shea is WWE bound, it kinda messed up a potential long reign for a really cool tag team, and eventually a really cool tag team. I'm happy for Romero's half dozen Tag wins, but I feel the wrong team won and the match, while good (super awesome for WWE/TNA/RoH standards), was slightly lacking for New Japan.
Kushida vs. Will Ospreay: I'm not much of a fan of "story telling" wrestling, I am usually in it for the action, often both intertwine in New Japan, and that's fine, but I usually want the latter instead of the former. But Man....this match told on heck of a story and Ospreay was a young Billy Shakespeare. This is the first time I watch this guy go and not only was I questioning if his hand injury was a work or a shoot (found out later it was a great, great work), the way he adapted his entire arsenal based on that "injury" was fantastic. He is a great pick-up by New Japan and he ran away with that match where he looked awesome in losing. Not to bury the champ, KUSHIDA did great too and I'm glad he's still holding on to that title. The longer he holds on to that title this time, the better his legacy will be and he deserves it.
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Yoshitatsu vs. The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson): A bit of a clustery spot fest (that got Cody Hall hurt), but a great vehicle for said spots from the Elite, new feuds (Fale still angry at losing to Tana in that elimination tag I see) and a feel good moment as both the man whose career could have ended 18 months ago (and I've seen too much of that lately) and the beloved gaijin living his dream, win their first ever titles in New Japan. I also feel that the NEVER 6-Man Tag is about as versatile as the WWE European Title. No physical, booking or storyline-related limits, anyone can (and anyone has) win the thing.
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan: I kid you not guys, I enjoyed Tenzan/Conway and Shibata/anyone else better than this. It was good for what it was, but Tenzan went to the headbutt/Mongolian Chop well one time too many. They tried (Tenzan quickly dodging Shibata's kick was epic), but now I just want Shibata/Nagata to begin so I can blissfully remeber that this match was better than it was.
Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa) vs. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma): Sadly the worst match on the card, there was no bite to it. Congrats for Tama finally getting his due (and getting his brother in the company), but everything else was just eh. I won't pretend that it was all the Guerrias' fault (Makabe ain't getting any younger) but both of them need to step up their game (in Roa/Loa's case he need 7 Rocky movies worth of training montages in the New Japan Dojo), cause now, they're the champs. For everything that was said about Guns n' Gallows and the Kingdom, I enjoyed them (Bennett mostly for bringing Maria), this not so much.
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada: Naito finally did it, a heel turn lots of cheating was involved, but it feels good that he finally reached the top of the mountain. The non-cheating parts of the match were great and seeing Sanada of all guys surprised me. Add in Jay Lethal and Truth Martini and LIdJ is quickly becoming on of my favorite stables.

Great show overall, not perfect and the HW Tag disappointed, but a good 4-5 well spent.
Not in it for the storytelling? What do you think Pro Wrestling is suppose to be? Also, love the shootz names you reference. Must be an "insider" :lol:
Who's Rob Viper ?

aladdnzane

Post by aladdnzane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:55 pm

What's to say that's not being echoed by the IWC everywhere. Card was great fun, Goto/Evil Liger/Kushida Faile/Tana Shibata/Nagata will be an entertaining summer. Osprey making the UK proud and showing he can work in any promotion in world and sets him up for a run in the BOSJ. But let's talk about that main event. Sanda behind the mask, Naito finally proving the Japanese fans wrong and bringing them to their feet. The crowd was hot, there's a story here with Naito and LIJ against NJPW, against Kidani, etc. I can't wait to see what the summer brings and how this will set up the G1 and WK. Love Nakamura but love NJ more and they haven't missed a beat in 2016.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:05 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:Not in it for the storytelling? What do you think Pro Wrestling is suppose to be? Also, love the shootz names you reference. Must be an "insider" :lol:
Yes, yes I'm a chain-smoking grizzled vet on the grimy indie circuit. Kayfabe, ham and egger, road agent and so fourth (don't I wish :mrgreen:).

As for the storytelling thing, I grew up I never saw tons of instant classics. When I finally cable, the Attitude Era came in and it was more about, mudhole stomping, hardcore matches, special effects and blood. It's just the stuff I grown to love. I'm more into getting to the meat of the match with a bunch of stiff shots and/or cool wrestling slams instead of a match with slow, methodical pacing. But Again, I usually don't mind with New Japan does it, because most of their talent is good at it.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 am

I actually got a little choked up at the beginning of the main event when I saw the kind of reaction that Naito was getting from the crowd. It was just really great to see a guy who was completely rejected by the crowd in his initial main event push now becoming arguably the most over guy in the company thanks to a brilliantly executed heel turn that has completely rehabilitated him. New Japan does such a great job of making their IWGP Heavyweight Title changes feel like huge deals, and this one felt like a real changing of the guard. I also thought it was really interesting that Ishii seems to be getting set up as Naito's first challenger. Has he ever had an IWGP Title shot before? He's definitely earned it, I just never thought they'd put him in that position, even as just a token challenger to give Naito a victory, but that seems to be where they're going and I'm excited for it.

That KUSHIDA/Ospreay match was fantastic. I wasn't expecting Ospreay to lose on his debut but the way the match was worked he still got over with his insane athleticism and KUSHIDA just came off as a brilliant strategist. That thing KUSHIDA has been doing lately where he does a sort of Spanish Fly type move from the top rope and holds on to his opponent's arm for the Hoverboard Lock might be my favorite thing in wrestling right now. And Ospreay selling the arm with the no-hands handspring elbow was fucking ridiculous.

I thought that the Shibata/Tenzan match really over delivered and had a great big fight feel. But even better than the match itself was Shibata being a complete dick at the end, bowing to Tenzan and then kicking Nigata in the head.

Kelly and Corino were great on the English commentary. I feel that they are an underrated commentary team in ROH, but I thought they really shined here, and it was cool to get Corino's translations of certain things that were being said in Japanese. I'm not someone who needs English commentary to enjoy the product, but this is the first time they've done the English commentary gimmick on NJPW World that I felt like having it there actually enhanced my enjoyment of the show.

I agree with the general consensus that the one match that really didn't deliver was the Heavyweight Tag Title match. I hate to say it because I was excited for Tama Tonga to finally get a push, but so far the Guerrillas of Destiny kind of suck. They basically feel like a tribute act to the Anderson/Gallows team that nobody liked. I mean, I get that they are taking that spot on the card, but I thought that Tama had more to offer than a boring imitation of his friends.

So between Hinokuni (sp?) and Dontaku we should get to see Naito/Ishii, Omega/Elgin, Shibata/Nigata, KUSHIDA/Liger, Goto/EVIL, Tanahashi/Fale, and probably Okada/Sanada. I'm excited for all of that.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:21 am

That main event felt almost like a Memphis main event. Lots of stooging, brawling, interference, while crowd, hot angle at the end.

Also, I didn't think Okada responded too well. I was wondering how he'd react to the crowd and he didn't do much. Didn't necessarily expect him to start working heel, but I don't know, he seemed a bit outclassed.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:23 am

Not going to repeat what's already been said, so just a few observations:

I'm SO glad they put KUSHIDA over. Cutting the guy's legs off AGAIN after telling us he's the "Junior ace" would have been death for both his push and my ability to take the juniors division seriously.

Speaking of which, this was the first time I think KUSHIDA truly worked like an ace. He did an excellent job of working from on top, dominating the match, letting Ospreay get his licks in but never looking like he was in too much danger. I initially thought it was unfortunate that they were forced to make their top junior a more ground-oriented guy, but after seeing this match it really makes sense. It allows him to take the majority of a match and let his opponent provide the big spots. He might get booed at times (as he did here) but he's not really a heel, and the crowd will respect him that much more for the dominance he projects.

The Liger match is a great idea for a passing of the torch moment.

Coming in to the show I was fine with the idea of a successful Okada defense, but midway through the show I realised they HAD to go with Naito winning to cement the "hey guys, NJPW is interesting again" theme of the show. One thing worth thinking about is that even a packed Sumo Hall is never usually this hot for everything on the card. What that says to me is that the people weren't just Naito fans; they were there to see Naito win the title and they were damn pumped about it, so pumped that they made massive amounts of noise for everything leading up to that point.

I hope Gedo realises that it needn't have taken a talent raid to put on this show. He would do well to remember that next time things are feeling stale and need a shakeup.