NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
saviorofstrongstyle

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:44 pm

PKThree wrote:Over/Under odds on Shibata cracking Tenzan's big skull open?
Or odds on Tenzan accidentally cracking open Shibata's skull Yano style? ;)

wac

Post by wac » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Omega and the Bucks are such a perfect trios team, I need to go back and watch their pre-NEVER meaningless midcard six man tags.

Quentin Moody

Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 pm

I remember they had good matches on Road To shows last year and a really fun match that team had last year at The New Beginning in Sendai against TimeSplitters and Mascara Dorada. That was a moment where you could see how great they bounced off each other.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:I remember they had good matches on Road To shows last year and a really fun match that team had last year at The New Beginning in Sendai against TimeSplitters and Mascara Dorada. That was a moment where you could see how great they bounced off each other.
The (pre) Elite vs TS & Dorada match at New Beginning was one of he forgotten gems of 2015. Great match, probably the best of Dorada's entire run (admittedly we aren't clearing high bars here, but he did have a couple of good singles matches when given a chance, like the Omega match).

wac

Post by wac » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:23 pm

That act is so perfectly tailored to PWG, it's a shame that a NEVER title defense in Reseda doesn't seem like a realistic possibility. Is Omega even going to be allowed in the US any time soon?

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Quentin Moody wrote:I remember they had good matches on Road To shows last year and a really fun match that team had last year at The New Beginning in Sendai against TimeSplitters and Mascara Dorada. That was a moment where you could see how great they bounced off each other.
The (pre) Elite vs TS & Dorada match at New Beginning was one of he forgotten gems of 2015. Great match, probably the best of Dorada's entire run (admittedly we aren't clearing high bars here, but he did have a couple of good singles matches when given a chance, like the Omega match).

I remember that six-man having a spot where Omega was on the apron and Dorada did a full-speed sunset flip powerbomb sending him into the barricade. Totally insane. I agree on that match being the highlight of Dorada's run, and for me it might have been the highlight of Omega's NJPW run prior to becoming a heavyweight.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I just realized one thing with Tenzan vs Shibata being the Invasion match. Does that mean the Kojima vs Shibata match is lost in the ether not to be seen?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm

cherrylimeaid wrote:I just realized one thing with Tenzan vs Shibata being the Invasion match. Does that mean the Kojima vs Shibata match is lost in the ether not to be seen?
It'll show up on Samurai TV soon and we'll surely have video if it somewhere after it airs. We'll see it, don't worry about that.

Mr.WrestlingX

Post by Mr.WrestlingX » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:59 pm

I find it quite sad that Kojima vs Shibata was relegated to a Road to show while Tenzan vs Shibata is on a major PPV. It may be solid but I am sure, even without reading reports, that Kojima vs Shibata was way better than Tenzan vs Shibata will be.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Noticed that the dates for this year's Best of the Super Juniors have been announced:

14 events in all running from May 21st to June 7th- I'm guessing with that length of schedule, that we are once again going to see the alternating Blocks format NJPW implemented for their round robin tournament's last year.

The final two nights on June 6th and 7th June are being held at Sendai Sunplaza Hall- Along with the New Japan Cup Finals being held in Aomori this year, there appears to be a concerted effort from New Japan this year to hold some relatively major events outside of the usual suspects of Tokyo and Osaka- particularly in the Tohoku Region. Perhaps a concious decision affected by the fact that it was the Tohoku region that was hit hard five years earlier by the devastating Tsunami of 2011?

There are also three visits to Korakuen Hall, the opening show on May 21st, May 27th and June 3rd.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Sometimes or most times a banner is just a banner.

I just noticed on the Invasion attack banner Okada, Omega, and Shibata are all alone on the right hand side and Tanahashi is with other stars on the left hand side. In the spirit of making too much of a simple darn banner, thoughts if new Japan is moving towards (not there yet) making those three the next Big 3. I personally find it great, and as many were arguing before in terms of Shibata or AJ or Naito there is room for a Big 4 or 5 to include (insert your favorite NJ wrestler here).

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:03 pm

I'd have to talk to someone who understands the Japanese fanbase, but is there a possibility that a lot of Nakamura fans have or will turn to Naito? Naito has only really been getting positive crowd reactions since Nakamura left, and there is the same edge to his character that separates him from guys like Tanahashi and even Okada to an extent. I remember Tanahashi saying in an interview that Nakamura had his own fans that would be hard to replace, but is there a chance that a lot of them have found a new favourite in Naito?

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 am

brianjackson wrote:I'd have to talk to someone who understands the Japanese fanbase, but is there a possibility that a lot of Nakamura fans have or will turn to Naito? Naito has only really been getting positive crowd reactions since Nakamura left, and there is the same edge to his character that separates him from guys like Tanahashi and even Okada to an extent. I remember Tanahashi saying in an interview that Nakamura had his own fans that would be hard to replace, but is there a chance that a lot of them have found a new favourite in Naito?
I by no means am close to the fan base but just my opinion.

Nakamura is one of a kind so I'm sure some will simply leave and there isn't a "replacement" for him. For those that want to stay with the product....

I'm sure if Shibata is on the rise a small percentage will stay for him
Taguchi's character is somewhat a tribute to Nakamura now to keep the spirit alive so he might keep a handful watching
Yes I think Naito will take some, more than the two above
For me charisma wise though Omega is killing it. I'm biased toward him but I think give or take will be even with Naito for keeping Nakamura fans interested.
Also good booking on the singles ranks at least should keep their fair share of fans....

For me I think of my own experience. I was a big Stone Cold fan. He was unique. When he left I watched the product mostly because the product was there and the supporting cast of characters behind him. I didn't go, well now I can't be a Stone Cold fan now that passion for that character will go to..... Angle. Angle was cool and all but he wasn't Stone Cold. But because I didn't have, "my guy" there I didn't stop watching, nor did I band wagon jump.

Don't know if that gives you any way to think about it or not.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 am

Tigerkinney wrote:Noticed that the dates for this year's Best of the Super Juniors have been announced:

14 events in all running from May 21st to June 7th- I'm guessing with that length of schedule, that we are once again going to see the alternating Blocks format NJPW implemented for their round robin tournament's last year.

The final two nights on June 6th and 7th June are being held at Sendai Sunplaza Hall- Along with the New Japan Cup Finals being held in Aomori this year, there appears to be a concerted effort from New Japan this year to hold some relatively major events outside of the usual suspects of Tokyo and Osaka- particularly in the Tohoku Region. Perhaps a concious decision affected by the fact that it was the Tohoku region that was hit hard five years earlier by the devastating Tsunami of 2011?

There are also three visits to Korakuen Hall, the opening show on May 21st, May 27th and June 3rd.
Just a thought looking at this. CMLL has typically sent a guy to the Super Juniors for a couple few years. Pure speculation to do you expect them to send the same guy or guys to the Super Juniors and the Super J Cup. And just for the sake of this discussion I don't want to include Kamitatchi as a CMLL guy, although I do hope he is in the finals of either tournament.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 am

Tigerkinney wrote:Noticed that the dates for this year's Best of the Super Juniors have been announced:

This picture is also floating around regarding BotSJ:

Not that this confirms anything, but if I had to guess, Taguchi, Fit Finlay Jr., KUSHIDA, Dorada (had to check his Twitter to make sure that's him) and Tiger Mask are in. So is the guy in the center, I think I know who that is, but he's too far so I don't want to guess and be wrong.