NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 am

Jon Moxley is a star.
Shingo is a star. Nice ***1/2 type match v. his future self.
Ishii (c) v. Taichi - saw a lot of praise for this one. I thought it was ***3/4 type match.
Dragon Lee (c) v. Will Ospraey - ****1/2
Ibsuhi (c) v. Naito - ****3/4 ... some of the nastiest neck bumps I've ever seen. Popped me out of my chair. Ending lacked that five star gear for me.
Okada (c) v. Jericho - Gentleman's Three. Uninspired performance by Jericho. If you told me this was Okada's worst singles title match, I am not sure I'd disagree. I didn't like it.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 am

I hope Ibushi stops taking those nasty neck bumps... unless when he had his neck issues he got it replaced with rubber or something. Dude is a great athlete and I don't want to see his career cut any shorter than it may already be :(

yaritaihoudai

Post by yaritaihoudai » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 am

Juice and Nichols are facing G.O.D. on the 25th and again in Melbourne on the 29th. Pretty much telegraphs that they win in Sendai to make the Melbourne match for the titles, right?

yaritaihoudai

Post by yaritaihoudai » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:29 am

There are very few pairings in the A Block that I'm not looking forward to. Okada, Tana, Ibushi, Ospreay, ZSJ, and Sanada in the same block, plus wild card Kenta. The least interesting guys on paper are Fale and Archer, but Fale traditionally works well with a lot of those guys, and I'm willing to give Archer the benefit of a doubt after his awesome NJC match against Ospreay.

B Block is less razzle dazzle, but still a ton of good stuff. Naito has great looking first time matches vs. Shingo, Moxley, and Jay White, as well as always good matches against Ishii and Juice. Looking forward to Ishii banging it out with Goto and Cobb, and first time matches vs. Shingo and former stablemate Jay White. Juice vs. Moxley rematch, and Juice vs. White rematch from the US show last year. I'm interested in seeing what a Moxley vs. Jay White match looks like, and can't even imagine what a Moxley vs. Shingo match will look like. Yano and Taichi kind of bring it down, but Taichi has had some decent work with a few of those guys in the past, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Best of all is there's no Yoshi Hashi. Worst of all there's no Minoru Suzuki, though they look like they might be doing something with him storyline wise.
Last edited by yaritaihoudai on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 am

A BLOCK
Tanahashi
Ibushi
Okada
Ospreay
KENTA
EVIL
SANADA
ZSJ
Archer
Fale

B BLOCK
Juice
Ishii
Goto
Yano
Naito
Shingo
Taichi
White
Moxley
Cobb

With all of the newcomers declaring themselves for G1 at Dominion I had thought that YOSHI-HASHI might get squeezed out (despite his surprising push in New Japan Cup), but I'm shocked about Makabe and Suzuki being left off with no fanfare. They are both getting up there in age, so maybe one or both of them requested not to be in the tournament, but it's wild that neither of them got a farewell run. Especially Suzuki given that he's a faction leader. Maybe this opens the door for them to do the Suzuki/Liger match at Budokan though?

This is a really incredible lineup. The only dead weight is Fale. He can serve a purpose in a tournament like this as an obstacle for smaller wrestlers to overcome, but him being a temporary roadblock for Tanahashi and Okada has really run its course, and apart from KENTA I really don't see any other fresh opponents for him in the A Block. Really if you just swapped Suzuki out for Fale this lineup would be absolutely perfect.

Tough to make any predictions without knowing the schedule yet, but my guess is that Sabre defeats Okada to set up an IWGP Title match for the Copper Box show. I could also see KENTA maybe pinning Okada to set up a fresh King of Pro Wrestling title defense or something like that.

I don't see Ibushi winning the tournament since he's in the same block as the champion (though I could see him defeating Okada in the tournament to win the block and set up a title match down the road). Which does make me wonder if they are actually going to do a title vs. title match at the Tokyo Dome. You would think that they'd have the IWGP Title headline one night and the IC headline the other, but if Naito does win the tournament you would think that he wouldn't lose between G1 Finals and 1/4, and I can't imagine anyone else winning B Block.

I expect Ibushi, Archer and Fale to get their wins back over Ospreay. I'm very curious to see how many points Ospreay and Shingo wind up with. Shingo would seem to have an easier path than Ospreay.

It's gonna be really interesting to see what the actual lineup of matches for Dallas is. I believe they are running the same number of shows as in 2018, so you would think that that would be a single block show, and presumably the A Block since it's the first night. If so, it seems like a missed opportunity to not have Moxley in that block, since that show would've been a perfect opportunity to do a big Okada vs. Moxley or Tanahashi vs. Moxley match. That said, the A Block is absurdly stacked. If it was up to me and given the blocks that they already have laid out I'd do the Okada vs. Tanahashi match as the main event with Ospreay/Ibushi as the semi main for that show, but you really can't go wrong with just about any non-Fale combination in that block. I'm also curious about the undercard of that show - do they do the usual undercard tags (and if so do they have visas set for all of the Japanese talent in B Block)? Or do they try to load the show up with something like a Tag Title defense or something? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

yaritaihoudai

Post by yaritaihoudai » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 am

Just looking at the blocks, what do you think about a Goto redemption arc in B Block? He's got the level of opponents to where it wouldn't be shocking to see him get 12 or so points. I don't expect him to win the block, but finishing in the top two or three could do a lot to rehabilitate him. Any legs to this, or is he a forever geek now?
Frank Olson wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 am

Tough to make any predictions without knowing the schedule yet, but my guess is that Sabre defeats Okada to set up an IWGP Title match for the Copper Box show. I could also see KENTA maybe pinning Okada to set up a fresh King of Pro Wrestling title defense or something like that.
I think this is a solid prediction. The question is will he win with a flash pin like he did in RevPro last year or will he get the elusive tap-out on Okada? He's only tapped once since his big run started, right? Would be a huge feather in ZSJ's cap.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:34 pm

this reminds of the 2016 scenario where Block A was the stacked block and white is now in the kenny role of chasing naito in block B

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Night 1 in Dallas should be -

Okada v Tanahashi
ZSJ v Ospreay
Ibushi v Kenta
Archer v Evil
Sanada v Fale

Also if Ospreay has a good G1 which unquestionably he will do, is he on for the greatest year in the history of pro wrestling? Sounds crazy but for me it's up there

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 pm
Night 1 in Dallas should be -

Okada v Tanahashi
ZSJ v Ospreay
Ibushi v Kenta
Archer v Evil
Sanada v Fale

Also if Ospreay has a good G1 which unquestionably he will do, is he on for the greatest year in the history of pro wrestling? Sounds crazy but for me it's up there
If that ends up being the card for Dallas than I will be extremely happy. Dallas will be my first NJPW show ever and that could be a classic G1 opening night with the potential for 3 great matches. I wouldn’t mind if they did Fale v Archer and Evil v Sanada.

Murcatto

Post by Murcatto » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:40 pm

It seems to me that Naito is the clear favourite to win. Gedo & Jado almost always book the winner in the opposite block from the champion, and Naito seems like the only B Block wrestler who is a realistic contender to main event next year's Dome with Okada.

A Block booking will be really interesting. There are 7 guys who probably should have winning records (Okada, Ibushi, Tana, Ospreay, ZSJ, SANADA, KENTA) but that's going to be difficult to pull off seeing as they like to give everyone at least 6 points for credibility. Even if you have EVIL go 3-6 (which isn't ideal if there's any plans to push him) along with Fale & Archer, it probably isn't going to add up. So some of the big 7 will have losing records unless Fale and/or Archer are only getting 4 points. Then again, perhaps going 4-5 isn't so bad as long as you get at least one signature win over a main eventer.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 am

I think you're over-estimating both SANADA and Will Ospreay, Murcatto. Will isn't going on a major streak in his first heavyweight series. He's gonna be there more for great matches than a run at the top. And both Okada and Tanahashi will drop one or two matches to have drawing rematches following G-1 that aren't necessarily fresh. I could see Ibushi dropping Tanahashi and Sabre dropping Okada, for example.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am

Danwaka wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 am
I think you're over-estimating both SANADA and Will Ospreay, Murcatto. Will isn't going on a major streak in his first heavyweight series. He's gonna be there more for great matches than a run at the top. And both Okada and Tanahashi will drop one or two matches to have drawing rematches following G-1 that aren't necessarily fresh. I could see Ibushi dropping Tanahashi and Sabre dropping Okada, for example.
I would have to disagree on SANADA's chances being overestimated. In terms of Kayfabe achievements, SANADA's rise has been a gradual one year on year, with his run to the New Japan Cup Finals earlier in the year it would be disappointing if he was to regress to be a middle of the pack 4-5 type of guy. Whilst I think there are bigger favourites to make the G-1 Final, it honestly wouldn't shock me if SANADA sneaked in Goto (2016) style.

On the other hand I think people shouldn't expect too much from Ospreay in terms of a strong winning record in his first G-1. Whilst I think it would be a mistake to have him picking up anything less than 6 points (he needs to be competitive enough to help break down the preconceptions that Junior's are inferior), Ospreay's tournament is going to be more about the in-ring performances than the results.

Murcatto

Post by Murcatto » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 am

Danwaka wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 am
Tigerkinney wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am
On the other hand I think people shouldn't expect too much from Ospreay in terms of a strong winning record in his first G-1. Whilst I think it would be a mistake to have him picking up anything less than 6 points (he needs to be competitive enough to help break down the preconceptions that Junior's are inferior), Ospreay's tournament is going to be more about the in-ring performances than the results.
I think Ospreay has a good chance of actually winning A Block.

If we assume that Naito wins B Block, then I don't think Ibushi is winning A Block - in addition to the obvious reason, Ibushi v Naito has been done to death recently. Gedo very rarely books the champion to make the final as he likes the Dome main event to be a fresh match so it probably won't be Okada. SANADA is wrestling Fale on the final day which does not feel like a block deciding match. Neither does ZSJ v KENTA. So I think your contenders to win the block are Tana & Ospreay.

They wrestle each other on the final night and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's the block decider. Tana is the bigger name but he kind of feels like yesterday's news and some of his recent performances have been concerning - Ospreay is a safer bet to have the epic 35 minute G1 final at this point.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am
I would have to disagree on SANADA's chances being overestimated. In terms of Kayfabe achievements, SANADA's rise has been a gradual one year on year, with his run to the New Japan Cup Finals earlier in the year it would be disappointing if he was to regress to be a middle of the pack 4-5 type of guy. Whilst I think there are bigger favourites to make the G-1 Final, it honestly wouldn't shock me if SANADA sneaked in Goto (2016) style.

Murcatto wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 am

I think Ospreay has a good chance of actually winning A Block. If we assume that Naito wins B Block, then I don't think Ibushi is winning A Block - in addition to the obvious reason, Ibushi v Naito has been done to death recently. Gedo very rarely books the champion to make the final as he likes the Dome main event to be a fresh match so it probably won't be Okada. SANADA is wrestling Fale on the final day which does not feel like a block deciding match. Neither does ZSJ v KENTA. So I think your contenders to win the block are Tana & Ospreay.

They wrestle each other on the final night and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's the block decider. Tana is the bigger name but he kind of feels like yesterday's news and some of his recent performances have been concerning - Ospreay is a safer bet to have the epic 35 minute G1 final at this point.
I've just seen the blocks laid out for matches, and if the last two shows have the match order they currently do, then I'm willing to do a 180 and say it'll be Tetsuya Naito vs. Will Ospreay for the final.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm

I know criticizing NJPW is kind of taboo, but how do you not put Jon Moxley as the main event on the Dallas show when they still have tickets available?