NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
RichLatta

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by RichLatta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

listening to Rich's review on this, haven't watched the match he gave it like a 3 1/2 to 3 and 3 quarters. for new japan pro wrestling...WHY ON EARTH WOULD I BE EXCITED about this dude lowering the quality of New Japan Main event wrestling? Putting his year down on paper and quality wise i don't know if he even measures up to Evil or Sanada..OR GOTO for christ sakes. This is like...sell my msg ticket levels of what are they doing...
Last edited by RichLatta on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I went ****1/2 on the main. It was awesome

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm

RichLatta wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm
listening to Rich's review on this, haven't watched the match he gave it like a 3 1/2 to 3 and 3 quarters. for new japan pro wrestling...WHY ON EARTH WOULD I BE EXCITED about this dude lowering the quality of New Japan Main event wrestling? Putting his year down on paper and quality wise i don't know if he even measures up to Evil or Sanada..OR GOTO for christ sakes. This is like...sell my msg ticket levels of what are they doing...
Just to be clear. I enjoyed the match A LOT, I just felt like it didn't reach the super high standards of a NJPW main event. Likewise, my favorite types of NJPW main events and the ones I rate higher are filled with back and forth action, kickouts, crazy spots. This wasn't that. This was Jay White methodically destroying the old man in Tanahashi, beating him clean in the middle of the ring and taking his title. The story and execution was perfect even if it didn't pop my in a "star rating" sense.

RichLatta

Post by RichLatta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm
RichLatta wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm
Just to be clear. I enjoyed the match A LOT, I just felt like it didn't reach the super high standards of a NJPW main event. Likewise, my favorite types of NJPW main events and the ones I rate higher are filled with back and forth action, kickouts, crazy spots. This wasn't that. This was Jay White methodically destroying the old man in Tanahashi, beating him clean in the middle of the ring and taking his title. The story and execution was perfect even if it didn't pop my in a "star rating" sense.

Yeah man this is going just be a big change from what I'm used to around that belt. Big blowaway title matches are a huge draw to New Japan for me, but we'll see how it goes. I feel like i've been watching white be the other dude in the match more often than he's been the star and having to have a bunch of patience with him. i ended up at around 3.75

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 am

Jay White is someone who is a star & NJPW is wise to invest in him. However, I'm not excited about this potential title run & it's likely to be very criticised. The thing is that Jay is not at the level of a Okada, Tanahashi, Naito or Omega. Heck, people were annoyed about Kenny's recent run but he's a far superior wrestler compared to Jay White. Can Jay White reach that level in the future? Probably. However, I have my doubts about that right now & people are going to be understandably annoyed that he can't deliver those 'NJPW epics'.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 am

I know it's fashionable to shit on Gedo's booking, but he's got me genuinely excited to see what happens between two men who can barely move (Tenzan and Iizuka). The 6-man that opened today's show wasn't any kind of mat classic (although I thought the sequence between Suzuki and Kojima was pretty nice) but the whole story of Tenzan trying to get Iizuka to snap out of his crazy guy persona has been very well told and I'm curious to see how it resolves on Iizuka's retirement show.

Ibushi returning - having reportedly signed a two-year deal with New Japan - was a highlight of the show. That pop he got just for announcing that he was sticking around, combined with the shots of women crying in the audience, was pretty wild. Glad to see that he'll be sticking around.

The Jr Title match was good but felt a little overlong to me. The Sailor Boys stuff was funny (especially when Ishimori broke out the dance) but the heavy emphasis on comedy combined with the long match time meant that there was no real sense of urgency, which is a quality that the match would have needed to fool me into thinking that Taguchi stood a chance of winning. (Although, having said that, the live crowd certainly seemed to believe in Taguchi). Interesting that Liger is the next challenger. On the one hand he's kind of the perfect challenger for the upcoming Anniversary Show, but on the other hand it kind of shows how thin the Junior division suddenly is with the departure of KUSHIDA, the promotion of Ospreay, and the injury of Hiromu.

Okada vs. Fale was a solid carry job by Okada. I was really impressed that Okada could get Fale up for the reverse neckbreaker thing that he does (I know he slams Fale in pretty much every match that they have together, but I don't remember him doing the neckbreaker move to Fale in past matches). The interference spots and ref bumps seemed totally unnecessary though.

Not sure how to feel about the Jay White title reign yet, but it certainly feels like a fresh direction. I don't think that he and Tanahashi have particularly good chemistry, but the match did have great drama since it really seemed like the result could have gone either way. I wish that the match had been around 15 minutes like the White/Okada Wrestle Kingdom match, since I think it would make sense to put over the idea that White can end a match at any time. Plus, as others here have already noted, White isn't quite as good as Tanahashi, Okada, Naito (or Omega) at filling 30-plus minutes yet. I'm a big fan of the Switchblade character though, and I like that the company has the balls to go all in on an unproven commodity, so I'm very interesting to see where this all leads.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:40 am

armsofsleep wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm
I don’t think White winning was a result of Omega leaving. If Omega had stayed then he loses tonight and the story is that Jay Whute is Omega’s kryptonite because that would make White against 2-0 Kenny.

You could see this as the story since wrestle kingdom. White Okada and Tana survived Kenny as the last gasp of his heavyweight stardom. I feel like White deserves this because aside from his first match back( which btw was his first match working heel....ever? Seriously he was a young lion and was a white meat super rookie in ROH) he has been great in ring when he needs to be. Long live this Jay White reign.

It's obviously just reporting but Dave said on WOR this morning (or maybe yesterday?) That the plan was for Omega to retain and lose to Okada at MSG. So the whole White beating Okada thing probably doesn't happen either.
I hadn’t heard that report so maybe the exact timeline is different but you had to expect that White was winning this belt at some point this year and probably going over Okada at WK13. They had built White up so much as a heel that it would have been a waste if he was destined to be patsy for a couple of title defenses. This is just a long way of me saying that you had to believe that he needed to get that belt in his first opportunity.

rollup

Post by rollup » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm

i liked the lizuka retirement ... a heel all the way !

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm

rollup wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm
Was it a 9 1/2 Stars match? :ugeek:
Who's Rob Viper ?

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm
rollup wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm
Was it a 9 1/2 Stars match? :ugeek:
a gentleman two star match in front of a five star crowd

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:18 pm

This whole weekend comes off as an excuse for the guys to have fun at work, if last night was any indication. That has transferred to me to a degree, as I'm legitimately PUMPED for Honor Rising now. Over/under that Castle is completely put on the shelf again after tonight?

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:15 pm

The Iizuka retirement show from 2/21 was easily my favorite of the recent round of shows. Iizuka was never a favorite of mine by any means, but I thought they handled the buildup to his retirement and also his actual retirement match perfectly. The storyline between Tenzan and Iizuka was great, and I loved seeing Tenzan moonsault onto Iizuka, with that “Friendship” t-shirt draped over Iizuka's body. Iizuka struggling to shake Tenzan's hand, only to pull him in closer and bite him again was perfect too. Iizuka rampaging through the crowd one more time while Suzuki gave a 10-bell salute was an unexpected but ideal way to send off this spectacularly bizarre character.

The rest of the show was really fun and bizarre as well, with the new Hentai/CHAOS alliance allowing for some very strange tag team combinations. Goto and Taguchi had a really funny dynamic in their match against ZSJ and TAKA, as the two completely different characters tried to figure out how to work together. The Tanahashi/Ospreay vs. K.E.S. match was random in terms of booking, but awesome in terms of in-ring action. I'm not the biggest K.E.S. fan in the world, but I thought that both Archer and Smith had great chemistry with Ospreay. For most of the match I was convinced that Smith was going to pin Ospreay to set him up as a future NEVER challenger, but of course that's not how it played out. Seeing Ospreay go toe to toe with large heavyweights feels really novel and interesting, so I'm very excited to see where his championship reign goes.

The more standard matchups on the 2/21 show were all very good as well. I particularly liked the RPG3K vs. Desperado/Kanemaru match, which I actually enjoyed more than any of their Jr Tag Title matches together. Nagata/Umino vs. Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI was really worthwhile as well. I don't really know why Nagata and Ishii are feuding, but they are certainly doing an excellent job of selling hatred for each other. The interactions between Umino (who has really bulked up lately) and Ishii were fantastic as well.

The Honor Rising shows didn't do as much for me. They were okay but didn't serve up much that was too memorable. Where the Fantasticamania shows make CMLL seem really colorful and fun, these Honor Rising shows tend to just feel like middling Road To shows that happen to feature a handful of U.S. talents who we don't normally see in New Japan, many of whom aren't nearly as entertaining as most of New Japan's regular undercarders.

Of the Ring of Honor talent that came over, I thought that Jonathan Gresham and Colt Cabana came off the best. They were both put in situations that highlighted their strengths and it felt like they were both very over with the Korakuen audience. The comedy matches that Cabana was involved in aren't going to be to everyone's taste, but I thought they were very entertaining.

The weirdest match on the Honor Rising shows was Ospreay vs. Dalton Castle. I haven't seen anyone else online mention this, but I couldn't look past them screaming out spots to each other throughout the entire match. I don't recall really seeing that sort of thing in a New Japan ring, so it came off especially awkward. I think the actual action was pretty good, but I just felt distracted the whole time by them very audibly calling the match in the ring.

Can't say that I'm excited for the IWGP Tag Title vs. ROH Tag Title match being the first thing announced for Madison Square Garden. I can't imagine anyone being enthused for another round of G.O.D. vs. The Briscoes. G.O.D. have had their moments over the years (vs. Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI at Power Struggle 2016, vs. G.B.H. at World Tag League 2016, vs. Young Bucks in L.A. last year) but for the most part they are a very boring team who do nothing to elevate the division. I thought they had a pretty mediocre match with EVIL and SANADA on 2/23. The Briscoes vs. Lifeblood main event was a lot better, although the legitimate shoulder injury to Finlay definitely put a damper on things. I hope he's not out too long, since they were just finally starting to give him a little bit of a push.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Glad you mentioned that about Ospreay v Castle. It was ridiculously loud. Don't think anything reached **** on the Honor Rising shows

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 am

new japan anniversary show is sold out

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am

NJ Cup line up is stacked. Naito v Ibushi in Round 1!