NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Might want to ask VOW on twitter as they can point you to people who live in Japan.

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm

SamoKuma wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am
Guys, i got a question that got nothing to do with the current flow of NJPW. Maybe it's not the adequate place to post it so do not hesitate to move it elsewhere if needed.

i'm planning a (2nd) japan trip with my wife and I saw yesterday that Road to Wrestling Dontaku will be @ Hiroshima the 26 of april. Since we will be not far from here (kyoto) during the same period, i'm convincing my wife to do the jump and go watch the show live.

But I have a question : what is the capacity of the arena ? are two gaijin got a chance to grab some tickets before they ran off ? Where can i buy them, and when ?

If any of you got any responses for this, i will be in debt forever ;)
it hosted around 2000 fans last year main evented by Juice vs Goto for the never title

I am not sure about this time but the Hiroshima stop of the Dontaku tour usually is "not a big show but will have lower end title main event " type of show , also i dun think it those kind of show that sells out way in advance

Normal ticket releases should be around end feb or beginning of march , you can maybe get those ticket sites like buysumoticekts etc to buy the tickets for you and send to your hotel

hope this helps

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 am

Are the New Beginning US shows going up on NJPW World?

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Jay White is an absolute superstar and I hope he wins the belt next week

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:55 am

So I made it back alive from my roadtrip to see the NJPW USA shows in Charlotte and Nashville. Overall the shows were pretty good and entertaining despite the lack of Japanese Talent. I was bummed I would not get to see Ishii but Best Friends are pretty much my favorites in wrestling and the shows were basically built around them.

The LA Dojo Young Lion opening matches on both nights were really good.

I don't know if there is a person that sweats more than Shane Taylor, it was like he sprung a leak. Lance Archer is one of the few people in the world that can get heel heat anywhere and he was great both nights.

The matches that paired one of the Young Lions against a veteran were good both nights.

The Great O-Kharn matches were much better than I was expecting. At the Charlotte show the crowd was much more solidly behind Tracer-X, I assume they were more familiar with his indie work. At the Nashville show the crowd was solidly behind O-Kharn. Tracer-x and Bravado both worked hard.

Cobb and Gresham vs Brody King and Scurl was very good.

Cobb and King's singles match was pretty good as well.

Juice vs Trent? was great. Really was a shame the news broke about Best Friends leaving because their finishing sequence would have been great if I didn't know who was going to win. It might have been Juice's best match. The Elimination match the following night was okay but nothing special. Chuck Taylor was over huge on both shows. Kind of a shame we will never get a payoff for the Chuckie T going crazy angle nor will we get to see what Trent?'s single push would have looked like.

Tiger Hattori got a pop when he came out, it was probably the biggest pop anybody got.

The Nashville show had an inexplicable 10 minute intermission that the Charlotte show didn't have. Maybe someone had transportation issues and they were giving them time to get there. Also the Nashville show had a crowd that was great, they were hot for everything and they didn't shout annoying shit to get themselves over nor try to start cringeworth chants.

I'm pretty sure I witnessed a drug deal outside my AirBnb in Charlotte.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 pm

rollup wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm
SamoKuma wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am
Guys, i got a question that got nothing to do with the current flow of NJPW. Maybe it's not the adequate place to post it so do not hesitate to move it elsewhere if needed.

i'm planning a (2nd) japan trip with my wife and I saw yesterday that Road to Wrestling Dontaku will be @ Hiroshima the 26 of april. Since we will be not far from here (kyoto) during the same period, i'm convincing my wife to do the jump and go watch the show live.

But I have a question : what is the capacity of the arena ? are two gaijin got a chance to grab some tickets before they ran off ? Where can i buy them, and when ?

If any of you got any responses for this, i will be in debt forever ;)
it hosted around 2000 fans last year main evented by Juice vs Goto for the never title

I am not sure about this time but the Hiroshima stop of the Dontaku tour usually is "not a big show but will have lower end title main event " type of show , also i dun think it those kind of show that sells out way in advance

Normal ticket releases should be around end feb or beginning of march , you can maybe get those ticket sites like buysumoticekts etc to buy the tickets for you and send to your hotel

hope this helps
That's exactly what i wanted to know. i dropped an eye on buysumotickets, i think i will use their services to grab mines.

Thanks a very lot :)

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:33 pm

To stay on topic, i was quite stunned by the Naito/Taichi match, which, even if got a constellation of shenaningans, worked almost perfectly. If the goal of the match was to harden Taichi and made me realize he's not a jr and can play in the big boys league, objective achieved, even if without the belt.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm

I went ****1/2 on Naito-Taichi, which is probably nuts but I don't really care. I absolutely loved the match from beginning (here I mean when the bell rang, as I do think the angle beforehand went too long) to end and was going absolutely nuts by the time it was over, so if that's not a four and a half star match I don't know what is. I docked it a little bit for one weird quasi-botch near the end (that they recovered beautifully out of anyway) and maybe Taichi kicking out of a little too much (I wouldn't have bothered with the Emerald Flowsion) but those are really the only minor flaws I have. Taichi was good in his role but Naito was absolutely out of this world, showing why he's the best in the world yet again with his incredible bumps and selling.

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Naito has stated his goal is be dual champion. On twitter Chris Charlton posted a Tokyo Sports article where Naito says he wants to enter the NJ Cup and if he can't then the IC belt is a shackle. I'm calling my shot. They won't let Naito get a shot at another title since he has one. Naito is able to do his anti NJPW management gimmick that got him over. He has to win the G1 since they can't stop him if he wins that. He wins. Double titles is WK 14 main event.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 am

It probably wasn't technically the “best” match on this weekend's New Beginning shows, but I think my favorite was actually Saturday's Young Lion opener of Narita vs. Uemura. It played really well off of their Road To match from earlier in the week, with Uemura prepared to block Narita's Bridging Belly to Belly, but then blindsided by the same move later in the match when Narita caught him with that same move while he was running the ropes (a spot that was absolutely perfectly timed). It took me a while to warm up to Ren Narita, but his Belly to Belly is seriously one of my favorite finishers in New Japan now.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who enjoyed the IC Title match from Sunday. What I liked about the match is that it felt truly heated and like every single thing that happened mattered. It's true that they could have shortened that opening injury angle, and I would've preferred if Taichi had just attacked Naito on the ramp himself rather than relying on help from old man Iizuka, but once they got in the ring there was really no wasted time. It really felt like both competitors were trying to finish the match with every move.

The Jr Tag Title match from Sunday really exceeded my expectations (not that I dislike either team, but I just wasn't that hyped going into the match because it feels like something we've seen so many times already). They really had a nice sense of hatred in that match, and it ultimately felt much more like the blowoff to Desperado and Kanemaru's long reign than their actual title loss at Wrestle Kingdom did.

The Heavyweight Tag Title match was very good although not quite the Match of the Year-level bout I was hoping for. I would say the same for the ZSJ/EVIL singles match from the previous night, which I thought was a tad too methodical, although the long sequence of reversals at the end was really impressive. I feel like it might have had more impact to have EVIL finally get the better of Zack to end the Tag Title match rather than the singles match, but that's just nitpicking I suppose. The SANADA/Suzuki singles match was solid, but like a lot of Suzuki's recent singles matches it felt a little too padded with walk and brawl stuff and meaningless forearm exchanges.

Two low-key highlights of these shows were Jay White getting in the way of Okada and Tanahashi's pre-match photo op on the Saturday show (White's character work is unbelievably good) and Okada and Tanahashi no-selling YOSHI-HASHI's attempts to start a group taunt on the Sunday show.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

So Gedo puts the title already on Jay White. Interesting....
Who's Rob Viper ?

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm

BREATHE WITH THE SWITCHBLADE! Yes! Most I've marked out for a finish in a long time. So happy for Jay. Match was fantastic. I went ****1/2 for it. Jay is a god damn superstar. Top 3 promo in the business and his in ring is great and getting better all the time.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I think in terms of where White's character is and the believability aspect, totally okay with White getting the title here, even if it was basically by lucky happenstance with Omega leaving.

In terms of Jay White as a wrestler though, he's still not clicking for me. This was a clear marked improvement over the WK match from last year, but still had some awkward transitions and moments that didn't totally land. I'm not sure this match would crack **** for me. He has a lot to work on, especially if you are going for the "ascendant heel champ" gimmick. He needs an offense. The snap suplexes on the floor worked to get him over vs David Finlay, but if he wants to hang in the NJPW main event scene, he has to be a better wrestler. It's really that simple.

I'm not sure how much blame to lay with Tana here either, since it just felt like the match never really settled on a story to tell. They didn't commit to the knee work, they didn't make Tana look old or White look dominant, it just sort of happened and then the match ended with one finisher reversal. I guess the reasoning was to sell the "shock" of the win but even unspoiled it didn't really come off that way. White shocked everyone by beating Okada clean. This almost felt inevitable after that.

What's next will be interesting. It feels like Ibushi's time, but Ibushi vs Jay White doesn't really make sense to me.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I don’t think White winning was a result of Omega leaving. If Omega had stayed then he loses tonight and the story is that Jay Whute is Omega’s kryptonite because that would make White against 2-0 Kenny.

You could see this as the story since wrestle kingdom. White Okada and Tana survived Kenny as the last gasp of his heavyweight stardom. I feel like White deserves this because aside from his first match back( which btw was his first match working heel....ever? Seriously he was a young lion and was a white meat super rookie in ROH) he has been great in ring when he needs to be. Long live this Jay White reign.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm
I don’t think White winning was a result of Omega leaving. If Omega had stayed then he loses tonight and the story is that Jay Whute is Omega’s kryptonite because that would make White against 2-0 Kenny.

You could see this as the story since wrestle kingdom. White Okada and Tana survived Kenny as the last gasp of his heavyweight stardom. I feel like White deserves this because aside from his first match back( which btw was his first match working heel....ever? Seriously he was a young lion and was a white meat super rookie in ROH) he has been great in ring when he needs to be. Long live this Jay White reign.

It's obviously just reporting but Dave said on WOR this morning (or maybe yesterday?) That the plan was for Omega to retain and lose to Okada at MSG. So the whole White beating Okada thing probably doesn't happen either.