NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
OptionZero

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by OptionZero » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 am

Kushida's comment about wanting to wrestling around the world pretty much seals that he's going to WWE.

He's over in the US and UK, can work any style, crowd friendly character. Should be able to slot anywhere on a card across NXT, NXT UK, and 205. They should exploit this versatility

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:54 pm

SamoKuma wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 am
A severe 3 day fever from hell prevented me To watch WK live, I only watch last night comboed with NYD. 10 hours of fresh njpw To Bégin the year is the better médication ever !

In my opinion, the force of this WK is his weakness : or is Well balanced. There is no garbage batch only good or very good compétition, bit in the same time, nothing made me think "Ok, I il watch it again tomorrow". Nothing legendary which could Turn this very good show in a classic.

Ecxept... for the return of Okada's Trunks of course. At last !!!
I can sympathise, similar situation with myself over the weekend.

I picked up a crappy cold the night before Wrestle Kingdom, and I had specially taken the day off work to watch it live. Despite feeling like a zombie, when I woke on Wrestle Kingdom morning, I was determined to watch it live- so I dosed myself up with medication and stubbornly watched it the whole way through. By the time the show had finished though, the medication that was keeping me semi-functioning was wearing off...so my experience during the main event was a strange one that was something like....

'This match is really awesome!' interspersed with 'Go away effin headache'/ 'I feel like I need to throw up'.

Suffice to say that once Tanahashi was done playing air guitar, I threw up and then went back to bed. The sensible thing would of course have been to stay in bed in the first place but it was Wrestle Kingdom, so rational thinking went of the window. Sensibly watched New Year's Dash on tape delay.
Last edited by Tigerkinney on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:37 pm

This feel's like deja vu from last year, as we once again have to play a game of 'Where is Kenny going to appear next'. Until he turns up in another companies ring, I'm not completely buying that he's done with NJPW. Not saying that him leaving isn't a possibility- with him having achieved all his goals (G1-Climax Winner, IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Main event Wrestle Kingdom, singles match with Ibushi in New Japan) the possibility of him deciding to move on to the next chapter of his wrestling career feels much stronger than it did last year but this is still Omega we are talking about and I take any announcements he makes with a pinch of salt.

If he does move on, I am much more prepared for him to do so than I would have been last year. When he's delivering his absolute best, he undoubtedly one of the best in-ring perfomers in the world but his somewhat lacklustre title run, all over the place character work (though of course much of that can be blamed on trying to fit 2 years worth of storylines into six months) and increasingly part time status has made him feel less essential to the New Japan product.

I wouldn't call myself a 'I'm done with Kenny' guy but on the other hand he's not the be all and end all of why I watch New Japan.

As for KUSHIDA, I'm sad to see him go but not at all surprised. He's done everything he can in the Junior Division and NJPW never seemed willing to pull the trigger on him moving up to the Heavyweight division. With KUSHIDA gone, Hiromu still out injured and Ospreay transitioning to Heavyweight the Junior Division feels like it's in a transitional phase once again.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm

I think the most obvious thing we can look at to determine what's real and what's not: KUSHIDA was giving a teary-eyed press conference talking about moving on and an official word coming down from NJPW about it.

Kenny has an article in Tokyo Sports with some very kayfabe-y comments about Tanahashi and his place in the company, etc. Not that I know anything more than everyone else but I think there are clear and obvious differences between the two.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm
I think the most obvious thing we can look at to determine what's real and what's not: KUSHIDA was giving a teary-eyed press conference talking about moving on and an official word coming down from NJPW about it.

Kenny has an article in Tokyo Sports with some very kayfabe-y comments about Tanahashi and his place in the company, etc. Not that I know anything more than everyone else but I think there are clear and obvious differences between the two.
The Tanahashi comments seems like a tell. Now, it could be put out there to throw people off the trail, but I think you can't trust anything Omega says until he puts pen to paper somewhere.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I've been down on NJPW and on wrestling in general for way more than a year now, but I had high expectations for WK, especially with not having watched a single NJ match since G1 final, and not watching a single whole show since last year's WK.

This show absolutely delivered for me, altough it was pretty weird. No filler, only one shit match, with the rest being either short and very good, or longer and awesome, the 3.5-4 hours flew by. I feared that at least 2 of the matches that I was hyped for will be cut short and that is what happened. Ishimori vs Kushida was a great sprint, they were on their way to having a match similar in the quality to Hiromu/Kushida from 2 years ago here, but then suddenly Ishimori just won at like a 10 minute mark, which left me very disappointed. Same for Okada/White, while a sudden finish made sense, I wish it'd gone for another 5 minutes.

Great match by Ospreay and Ibushi, but not a MOTYC or anything like that, they clearly saved a lot of stuff for a rematch down the line, either at a G1 or earlier (MSG?).

Shingo needs to fucking kill every junior for the next few months, beat Ishimori, and then feud with a returning Hiromu for a while. And then just win the feud, go heavyweight and be a star, this just has to happen sooner or later. Very funny how this beefy dude just murdered all the other guys with Pumping Bombers to win the tag junior belts and then Ishii and ZSJ enter to fight for the Heavyweight title :lol:

Speaking of which, those two had another awesome match. Not really a shock, but they didn't have a lot of time, and still managed to have my 3rd favorite match on the show. Went **** 1/4 on this, fantastic sprint.

Good but not great 3 way, nothing to write home about. Interesting though that GOD, even while being the clear faces of the tag division since their debut, are 0-3 at WTL finals and 0-3 at Wrestle Kingdom (they lost a trios match with Fale last year).

So what the fuck was this Cody/Juice match? I don't think I've seen the amount of criticism about this that I expected to see. Cody did NOTHING here, the Brandi spots sucked the air out of the building so much, that Juice kicking out of a somewhat well protected Cross Rhodes didn't get any reaction from the crowd. This was just bad, I kinda feel sorry for Juice and wow, what a way to go out (I assume) for Cody, if he wanted to make sure nobody misses him in New Japan I guess he succeeded. Had this been a good 10 minute sprint, the same story but done in a proper way, with a better pacing and less bullshit, this would get over here, something past US matches (Elgin/Lethal, Cole/KOR, Cody's debut) couldn't do. Take this shit back to ROH ppv's or AEW, this just doesn't fit at a major NJPW show.

So yeah, kushida vs Ishimori was very good, but I wanted so much more from this. But I understand why they did what they did here, with Kushida going to Florida.

Some called Jericho vs Naito lazy and boring, some said it was the best match of Jericho's career. I don't think I would've gone that far, but I thought this rocked. They did exactly what they should've done, without overdoing the nearfalls and the plunder stuff. Excellent match, on par with Y2J's match with Omega last year **** 1/2

I start to appreciate the main event more and more when I think about it now. Fantastic stuff, it was different than past Dome main events, very different than recent Omega title matches, I did not expect that, I feared this will go for too long, but it was a masterpiece, a very well paced match, with little to no filler. I need to rewatch this in the near future, but I was very close to going full 5 here, great stuff.

Didn't see NYD, but from what I've read no major angles and people are obviously disappointed by that. Tanahashi/White was the obvious choice, I will definitely need to watch ZSJ and Suzuki vs Evil and Sanada too, same for Ishimori vs Taguchi, it will be a hot match in Osaka, and Taguchi usually delivers in a big spot. Tanahashi vs White is a 50-50 to me, as of right now Tanahashi vs Y2J sounds like a good bet for a MSG main event (will Y2J work NJC though?) , but White winning the title makes so much sense now. Either way, let's hope for a great show here.

So yeah, they have giant fucking balls with those show announcements for 2019 and 1/4+1/5 next year.

re:Omega. I also don't think he is leaving. Look, there is just too much that suggests that this is a repeat of the 2017 situation: he hasn't been written off like Kushida was, the Dome announcement suggests that he will headline one of the shows against Ibushi (with the other obviously being Okada vs Naito), and he already talked about stuff like him having new ideas for the next Okada match, and he doesn't say this shit with no follow-up (in the 2017 interview he talked about wanting a program with Ishii - he faced him 3 times in the next 6 months). This just screams work to me, and he may very well be working Meltz too here. This guy knows what he is doing, he is using this WK loss too become the most talked about wrestler in the world for the next few weeks, just like he did in 2017. But I am almost certain that he is staying.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

WWE interested in Sanada. I was expecting a big push for him this year, wonder if that will be put on hold

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:03 am

So some of the up coming cards for the New Beginning Tour have been announced both the Sapporo shows and the tour ender in Osaka.

Key matches:

Sapporo- Feb 2

Special Singles: SANADA vs Minoru Suzuki

Special Singles: EVIL vs Zack Sabre Jr.

Special Tag: Kazuchika Okada & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Jay White & Bad Luck Fale

Looking forward to the two L.I.J vs Suzukigun singles matches which build towards the next night, but have very little interest in the main event due to the presence of Fale.

Sapporo-Feb 3

IWGP Junior Tag: Shingo Takagi & BUSHI vs El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru

IWGP Tag: EVIL & SANADA vs Zack Sabre Jr & Minoru Suzuki

IWGP Intercontinental: Tetsuya Naito vs Taichi

Hope the Junior Tag see's the LIJ guys retain and put that feud to bed. Desperado & Kanemaru slowly grew on me as the sleazy heel champs but they've had their run with the belts time to move on to something fresh. That Tag title match could be fantastic, and it's pretty much something fans have been clamouring for, for years- well not that match specifically but a match between two teams featuring guys the fans really care about/are pushed as Upper card wrestlers. No doubt we will be back to something people couldn't give two shits about like a G.O.D vs K.E.S vs Yano & Makabe three way later in the year for these belts but credit where credit is due for now. Naito vs Taichi could be a barnstomer, it could be horrendous. If we get a motivated Naito and Taichi wrestling a mostly shenanigans free match then they have the potential to deliver the former, if we get an unmotivated Naito and Taichi phoning in a match full of plunder and bullshit then sadly we could see a dud of a main event.

Osaka

IWGP Junior: Taiji Ishimori vs Ryusuke Taguchi

Special Singles: Kazuchika Okada vs Bad Luck Fale

IWGP Heavyweight: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Jay White

Got no problem with either of the title matches, though Taguchi seems to have just fallen into the role of Ishimori's next challenger rather than really doing anything to earn that title shot. I did groan in disappointment however in seeing Fale get what seems to be becoming his annual February tussle with Okada. This match has been done to death, but not only that Fale has regressed to becoming one of the worst/laziest wrestlers in a New Japan ring last year. He was never 'great' to begin with but he at least put in enough effort that he could be carried to a decent match but last year we truly saw the return of Bad Suck Fale. Sadly the whole 'Don't care' attitude seems to be part of Fale's current gimmick, so I'm not too hopeful that they'll end up shocking us with a really great match. I get it- Okada needs someone to feud with to begin his build back towards title contention, and right now he is feuding with Bullet Club and I know there really isn't anyone all that great/credible in Bullet Club as alternatives but a match with either of G.O.D, Owens or even Yujiro would have at least been a bit less tired and unoriginal as an idea.

rollup

Post by rollup » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm

IIDXias wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Of course you might ask where that would leave the New Japan Cup winner, but they do have another big show newly added to the schedule in (I think) Aichi for the end of April. So presumably the NJC winner could face the Tana-Y2J winner (likely Tanahashi but who knows!) there. That’s my theory, I guess we’ll see.
i think the New japan cup winner gets his shot at the g1 supercard. The Aichi show is a month away and at a smaller venue. Also NJPW seems to be treating as if they are the ones organizing the event so they as well just do their "sakura genesis main event" there lol

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:52 am

I expected they would do with the USA card. Hahahahah.

Goat

Post by Goat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 am

They couldn't get the Japanese guys Visas because the United States government is not functioning at the moment.

If that continues until April these cards your looking at will be the card you're getting at MSG.

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:26 am

As a make good they need to ship out Shibata to Charlotte and Nashville so I can question him about Chappin Chappin.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 pm

I finally got around to watching most of the Fantastica Mania shows (skipping a few matches here and there), which were fun as always. The general consensus seems to be that the Cavernario vs. Soberano match from the 18th was the highlight of the tour, and I'm not going to argue with that. It was a really fun and wild match, with a recklessness that I would say is somewhat comparable to the Kamaitachi/Dragon Lee series of matches. (Come to think of it I would love it if we could get Cavernario and Hiromu in the same block in Best of the Super Juniors this year). I love Cavernario's submission where he stomps on the back of the kneecaps of his standing opponent, which looks really brutal. Soberano looked a lot better throughout this tour than he did during the Jr Tag League back in the fall. One criticism I have of him though is that his tornillo is a little weird. It kind of reminds me of Hangman Page's Shooting Star Press off the apron spot, in that it looks really good in the air but the moment of impact looks super awkward and light as a feather.

I also really enjoyed Dragon Lee and Mistico's run in the Family Tag Tournament. The resulting match against the Guerreros (from the 20th) never really hit the level that it seemed like it should have, but the matches against Volador and Flyer (from the 16th) and especially against Cautrero and Sanson (from the 18th) were both really high energy and exciting. Speaking of Cautrero and Sanson, I thought that their trios match from the 21st (teaming with Forastero) against Angel de Oro, Titan, and Atlantis was also pretty impressive.

Of the luchadores I hadn't seen before I was most impressed by Audaz. His smoothness while doing complicated spots reminded me a lot of Mascara Dorada/Gran Metalik, and I thought he had the coolest looking dives to the outside of anyone on the tour. He wasn't really in any of the featured matches, but he was a highlight of any match that he was in. If I were to recommend a particular match of his from the tour I'd probably point to the opener from the 21st where he teamed with Flyer against Cavernario and Templario.

My one real complaint about Fantastica Mania this year is that I felt that there was a little too much involvement from the New Japan regulars. There's a certain charm to seeing Taguchi and KUSHIDA come out in their lucha cosplay outfits, or to seeing Desperado revert back to his old excursion gimmick, but for the most part I just want to see the actual lucha guys come out and do their thing on these shows. The last thing I want to see when I fire up one of these shows is Gedo locking up with Tiger Mask or whoever. The NJPW guys largely seemed to treat these shows as a night off, so I would mostly prefer if they actually had the night off instead of appearing and putting in half effort.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am

The latest round of Road To shows had some interesting Young Lion developments. Narita and Umino began to separate themselves from the pack by winning matches with suplexes instead of the traditional Boston Crab. Umino also won in a match where the other team contained the only non-Young Lion (Toa Henare). Granted, Henare basically never wins matches, but I still thought it was notable that his team lost today to a team of Lions even though he didn't take the fall himself. The opening match of 1/28 (Nakanishi and Narita vs. Tsuji and Uemura) was one of the better Young Lion showcases in a while, with Tsuji playing off of Nakanishi very well, and Narita and Uemura having some great fiery exchanges, especially in the closing stretch.

Clearly the best match from these shows was the 1/29 main event of Tanahashi vs. KUSHIDA. I was really impressed with how much Tanahashi stepped out of his usual match formula to really have a KUSHIDA style of match. We don't usually see a ton of mat wrestling from Tanahashi, but it was smart to go that route because KUSHIDA is so adept at that style of wrestling that it really made it seem like the two competitors were on a level playing field despite Tanahashi obviously being higher on the totem pole. The live crowd really bought into that Back to the Future nearfall too. It's a shame that KUSHIDA likely won't ever get this type of showcase at the company he's leaving for, but it's also hard to think of anything new he realistically could've done in New Japan. I'll miss him but I can also understand that he'd outgrown his spot on the roster and didn't really have anywhere to move up to.

The interactions in this week's LIJ vs. Suzukigun matches between Naito and Taichi, ZSJ and EVIL, and Suzuki and SANADA really have me hyped for their upcoming singles and tag matches. The elimination tag main event from 1/28 was really great, and also had a weirdly compelling segment between BUSHI and ZSJ, which is one of those weird cases where you briefly see two guys show off really awesome chemistry but you know that you'll never see it outside of multiman tags (Ishii and Kanemaru had some moments like that toward the end of last year as well). I'm sure that the Jr Tag Title match will be good too, although that feels a lot less fresh than the rest of the feuds currently going on between these factions.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am

Guys, i got a question that got nothing to do with the current flow of NJPW. Maybe it's not the adequate place to post it so do not hesitate to move it elsewhere if needed.

i'm planning a (2nd) japan trip with my wife and I saw yesterday that Road to Wrestling Dontaku will be @ Hiroshima the 26 of april. Since we will be not far from here (kyoto) during the same period, i'm convincing my wife to do the jump and go watch the show live.

But I have a question : what is the capacity of the arena ? are two gaijin got a chance to grab some tickets before they ran off ? Where can i buy them, and when ?

If any of you got any responses for this, i will be in debt forever ;)