NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
OptionZero

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by OptionZero » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:17 am

That main event of 12/15 Road To Tokyo Dome sure was something

Check the camera work here as Ibushi tries to land a springboard rana on Ospreay off the top turnbuckle.

Absurdly good shot

I think this tops the Ishii/Ospreay v Golden Lovers and Okada/Ishii v Golden Lovers matches, but it may be recency bias

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Just a thought....but with Bandido signing to ROH, what is the likelyhood BOSJ we get Bandido in the mix? Can you imagine next yeas BOSJ with Shingo, Bandido and Robbie Eagles added to the mix?

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 am

That would be FANTASTIC

ROH is running MSG with NJPW so until then at minimum, they'll be working hand in hand

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Golden Lovers v Tanahashi and Ospreay is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Super J cast briefly touched on it but the Golden Lovers have delivered all year in main event tags:

Cody/Scurll was good, not great
Cody/Hangman was good, not great
Young Bucks was awesome
Ishii/Ospreay was awesome
Okada/Ishii was awesome
Ospreay/Tanahashi was awesome

AND

they pretty much HAVE to have this in their back pocket for a big show . . . Okada/Tanahashi. I wouldn't be disappointed if that main evented MSG with a solid undercard. That match opens up so many possibilities - including Omega vs Ibushi. Either the Lovers lose due to in-fighting, or Ibushi wins outright and uses that to justify a title shot (not that he needs more justification)

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 am

I was really impressed with how good Kanemitsu looked in his return match after being out for a full two years. His injury came at a really awkward time, as the match where he got hurt (against Kawato on the undercard of a 2016 World Tag League show) was the first match where I remember being impressed by him. So many Young Lions have come in since that time that I honestly forgot about Kanemitsu's existence until he started showing up at ringside again recently, but I didn't think he looked out of place at all alongside Narita, Umino and Yoshida. It was a subtle but moving touch to have the match end in a draw with Kanemitsu refusing to tap out. That felt to me like the company acknowledging his real-life perseverance, and I thought it was a really nice moment.

In other Young Lion news, I also really enjoyed Umino's match on the 14th against Shingo. Both men played their roles perfectly, with Shingo clearly coming off as the bigger and better wrestler, but still leaving enough room for some genuinely convincing Umino hope spots. There were a few moments in the match where they really got me to suspend my disbelief and feel like Red Shoes' boy might score the upset. Umino ending the match with blood-stained teeth was a really cool visual representation of how physical the match was. This felt like the first time in a while that we'd seen a Young Lion against someone other than one of their peers or a Dad or Honma (who I suppose has joined the ranks of the Dads these days), and I'd like to see more of these Young Lion vs. Current Established Midcarder 1-on-1 matches in 2019.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:37 am

Super j cast mentioned this

With Ospreay challenging for the NEVER belt... HES GONNA BE IN THE G1 climax!!!!

Ospreay/ZSJ was awesome in Rev Pro, I cannot wait for a g1 matchup

Ospreay omega
Ospreay naito
Ospreay ishii

Gimme all dem matchups

DownriverDrew

Post by DownriverDrew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 pm

OptionZero wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:37 am
Super j cast mentioned this

With Ospreay challenging for the NEVER belt... HES GONNA BE IN THE G1 climax!!!!

Ospreay/ZSJ was awesome in Rev Pro, I cannot wait for a g1 matchup

Ospreay omega
Ospreay naito
Ospreay ishii

Gimme all dem matchups
Ospreay in the G1 will be awesome! Other matches I'm hoping for are Ospreay/Tanahashi, Ospreay/Sanada and Ospreay/Suzuki

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:22 am

The Lions Break shows are up on NJPW World now. They are each about an hour long, with 4 matches a piece. There is no commentary but there is full production as far as camerawork. The atmosphere from the anime expo they are at isn't great - there is some music from a different part of the expo bleeding into the main events of both shows, which is a little distracting - although the small audiences for the wrestling seem to be pretty into what they are seeing. The shows are easy watches, but I'm not entirely clear on what the point of them was. I think it would have made sense to make the LA Dojo equivalent of the Lions Gate shows, but while a few of the matches feature the American Young Lions there are also some totally inconsequential matches between New Japan midcarders.

It is somewhat interesting to see the LA Dojo Young Lions in action. Alex Coughlin and Karl Fredericks go to a 10-minute draw in the opener of the first show in a pretty rough match. I don't want to criticize them much since they are obviously very green and their role at this point is to gain experience rather than to blow us away with amazing action, but don't go into the match expecting something as polished as what you see from their Japanese Young Lion counterparts. ACH was able to lead Fredericks through a pretty decent 5 minute match on the second show, while Coughlin sat that show out.

I was much more impressed with Clark Connors, who had a solid (though very brief) technical wrestling showcase with Jushin Thunder Liger on the second show. Connors already has a nice snap to his offense, and he moves around the ring a lot more smoothly than Coughlin or Fredericks. He also has a good look and seems like he could be a very natural heel. He might be the nicest guy in the world, but he's one of those people who just sort of naturally look like an asshole (sort of like Yota Tsuji). I'm very interested to see how all three of those guys develop.

The main events of both shows are pretty solid. The first show was supposed to be main evented by Goto vs. Cobb, but Cobb had travel issues and ACH filled in instead. ACH bumping his ass off for Goto's brutal offense was pretty entertaining. Omega and Finlay is a solid if unspectacular ending to the second show. Neither match really goes long enough or feels consequential enough to be great, but they are both worth checking out if you've got some free time.

Cobb/Taguchi vs. Goto/Romero is a pretty good tag match on night two, though it goes on too long. Taguchi vs. Romero and Finlay vs. Liger, both from the first show, are totally skippable.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Looking at the slightly revised lineup for the Gauntlet now, and I'm a little more stoked for this (and it was already my fourth-most anticipated match on the show). This HAS to be Suzuki-Gun's match to lose, right? Kayfabe-wise, this is arguably the strongest trio the group could throw out there (yeah, Sabre and Suzuki as a pair is aces, but Suzuki & KES have been teaming together longer AND have experience as a trio).

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:06 am

Suzuki/KES is a pretty credible match to headline New Year Dash against GOD + Ishimori.

Maybe GOD loses the 3 way to KES (bucks are leaving so they won't win) so, as they are not champs anymore, they can lose the NEVER titles also

Gerard

Post by Gerard » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:15 pm

On the latest Wrestling Observer Radio that dropped early AM EST this morning, Dave said that he'd be adding Gedo to the HOF ballot next year based on his run as a booker in NJPW.

Given how long this strong run of his with the book has been, and barring any massive screw ups in NJPW this year, I think he will at least get a strong first year showing on the ballot.

Thoughts?

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Now long now lads! Can't wait! Let's have some predictions -

Ospreay
Kanemura and El Desperado
ZSJ
Evil and Sanada
Juice
Kushida
Okada
Naito
Omega

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Man, can they really have White lose 2 years in a row when they want him to be a main eventer?

Okada can eat a loss no problem; wouldn't it be better for White to get the BIG win at WK13, clean in the middle over the big name, and then give back the win at New beginning or something

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 am

I don't know. Has Okada hit rock bottom yet, or would losing at the dome be his lowest low?