NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
packerman120

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by packerman120 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 am

If this Tama Tonga wasn't part of the Bullet Club storyline, I feel like he'd definitely be out. I wish Henare had made it instead of him. YOSHI-HASHI still being in is upsetting for me, as I'm not a fan and think he's a geek, but it's clear that they see some value in him. I suspect he won't be in it much longer if he continues to be YOSHI-HASHI. It sucks that there are no big surprises, but really, there's no room in the 20 man format. Jay White needed a spot, and then there's one spot for an outsider. Hangman Page is a good choice, and it will be make or break for him. Gedo clearly likes Page, after all, he put him and Omega out to main event a Dontaku show. Interested in how the tournament goes. My #1 most desired match is Okada vs. Jay White.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 am

Full card for G1 Special in San Francisco released, and it looks QUITE GOOD (LINK):

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1 ... 2787138560

IWGP Heavyweight Championship:
Cody v Kenny Omega

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:
Hiromu Takahashi v. Dragon Lee

Special Tag Match:
Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay v. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships:
Young Bucks v Evil & SANADA

IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship:
Hiroki Goto v Jeff Cobb

IWGP US Championship:
Switchblade Jay White v Juice Robinson

Special Tag Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kushida v. Adam Hangman Page & Marty Scurll

Special Tag Match:
Zach Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki v. Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii

5 v 5 Tag Match:
CHAOS (Sho, Yoh, Rocky Romero, YOSHI HASHI & Gedo) v BULLET CLUB (Haku, Tama Tonga, Leo Tonga, Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi)

Way better than a Korakuen show, hell, it might be better than an individual Dontaku/Destruction show top to bottom

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

The card is basically a Sakura Genesis/ King of Pro Wrestling Card. Heavyweight title, One of the big secondary heavyweight titles( in this case the US), Jr title, Never title, and the tag titles. We are getting four singles title matches on a show which is way more than Genesis got this year. Plus every big star is at least on the card.

The rub is that 3 of the big 4 aren’t holding 2-3 of the major singles titles so those matches don’t get the extra shine to push them over the top. Also Cody is a big X factor in that draws well in the US in ROH but with a zero percent chance he wins against Omega, the company is relying on BC drama and the hope that Omega will make Cody rise to the occasion in a NJPW ring. So it’s more of a gamble than meets the eye.

Aside from the Mysterio and Jericho thing flopping state side there is nothing to really be upset about with this card. Hopefully it draws 8,000-10,000 fans but Idk it looks more dicey than it should be.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:The card is basically a Sakura Genesis/ King of Pro Wrestling Card. Heavyweight title, One of the big secondary heavyweight titles( in this case the US), Jr title, Never title, and the tag titles. We are getting four singles title matches on a show which is way more than Genesis got this year. Plus every big star is at least on the card.

The rub is that 3 of the big 4 aren’t holding 2-3 of the major singles titles so those matches don’t get the extra shine to push them over the top. Also Cody is a big X factor in that draws well in the US in ROH but with a zero percent chance he wins against Omega, the company is relying on BC drama and the hope that Omega will make Cody rise to the occasion in a NJPW ring. So it’s more of a gamble than meets the eye.

Aside from the Mysterio and Jericho thing flopping state side there is nothing to really be upset about with this card. Hopefully it draws 8,000-10,000 fans but Idk it looks more dicey than it should be.
I think it would be possible for this card to sell out 8k or 10k tickets or however many there are since it is actually a good card (depending on where you stand on Cody, most gaijin fans seem to be interested in him). But given the circumstances surrounding this show I think they had to go above and beyond. They already ran a show this year in the US, All In is happening, SF is apparently harder to get to than LA, Cody/Omega already happened and wasn't great... It would be much more interesting to have a card featuring Okada, Naito, Tanahashi, Suzuki and Ishii in more prominent positions instead of guys like Cody, White, Juice, Cobb... I think maybe NJPW overestimates US fans' interest on gaijins (except for guys who are huge stars already like Rey and Jericho). For example, I think Ishii/Suzuki would be the match people would be most hyped for on this show if it was taking place there.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:38 pm

If NJPW announced this card the same week the tickets went on sale, they probably add a couple thousand tickets

With only 3 weeks to go, they have an uphill battle

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Scored some Meet and Greet tickets for the press conference. Got Kenny Omega, surprisingly easily

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Honma's return match has been uploaded to world and it's not only an emotional watch but a particularly well worked match. The post match stuff is on the New japan Youtube channel with English subtitles and that is equally heart warming.
Really interested to see how Honma is going to be booked from now on as he's a wonderful underdog.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Sit down interview w/ Glen Joseph and Will Ospreay discussing life in NJPW and Jimmy Havoc

The main point is that Ospreay said he can't make the 9/30/18 Wembley Stadium show, a big event for PROGRESS Wrestling against Jimmy Havoc (his biggest rival, in a retirement match of sorts) . . .

because NJPW booked him for 9/30/18 in Los Angeles

I don't recall any mention of a third US show, much less a date and location, so I guess Ospreay spilled the beans?

This is gonna be rough, since All-In is 9/1/18 and as of now, we have no confirmation, much less a card.

I do suspect that at the G1 Special in San Francisco, they'll announce the 9/30/18 show

PW17

Post by PW17 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm

My guess is they are either going back to the Pyramid, or they may be planning a Staples Center show.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 pm

I can't imagine doing a Pyramid show. The potential customer base is just going to be SPENT after All-In, G1 Special, CEO, ROH BITW . . .

PW17

Post by PW17 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:05 pm

OptionZero wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 pm
I can't imagine doing a Pyramid show. The potential customer base is just going to be SPENT after All-In, G1 Special, CEO, ROH BITW . . .
Would be easier to sell out though, compared to the Cow Palace.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:45 pm

It is probably destined to fly under the radar, but the Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Roppongi 3K match from last night's CEO X NJPW show was really good. If anyone skipped the show entirely or was just planning on watching the main event I'd definitely recommend checking that junior tag match out. All four guys were really working hard and treating this like a regular New Japan show, whereas most other wrestlers on the show seemed to be in house show mode (perhaps understandably, since this was ultimately an inconsequential vanity show). I thought it was the best match on the show.

The Golden Lovers vs. Naito & Hiromu match was good, although the LIJ guys seemed to be saving their bodies for their upcoming big matches and not really going balls to the wall (Naito still wound up taking a scary looking bump on the Golden Lovers' Powerbomb/German Suplex combo though). It was a cool novelty to see Hiromu go up against the heavyweights, although I don't feel that any of those interactions lived up to their full potential.

The rest of the card was okay but the undercard matches all felt like they went at least 5 minutes too long. The production of the show was pretty poor, with a really crappy audio mix and some weird choices on camera angles. The commentary team seemed familiar with most of the wrestlers (which I suppose gives them a leg up over JR and Barnett, at least) but they were doing the PWG announcer thing where it often seemed like they were more interested in making each other laugh than in actually calling the matches.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/7-stars.html

It could be me, but the new Kenny Omega 7-star shirt at Pro Wrestling Tees looks like they used a Tanahashi silhouette.
Am I seeing things?

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Heather wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm
https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/7-stars.html

It could be me, but the new Kenny Omega 7-star shirt at Pro Wrestling Tees looks like they used a Tanahashi silhouette.
Am I seeing things?
Good spot here! The silhouette is definitely Kenny but you're 100% right in that it looks way too similar to Tanahashi. Could just be coincidence but this is New Japan, methinks this could be some foreshadowing right here.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 pm

The two recent UK shows have been uploaded to NJPWworld. Having Kevin Kelly on commentary is a massive step up from other REVPro footage they uploaded previously but the audio levels aren't best.
Oka excursion gimmick is pretty over the top but i think learning how to get the most it will be a great lesson. i can imagine it will work well if he stays in the UK and wrestles at a lot of holiday camp shows.
Going to watch the big matches from both nights later but skip a lot of the undercard.