NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Bloodbuzz Bunk

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm

I think the Purocast is done. It just seems that it was a strain and stress for Damon which is understandable. I do hope VOW picks up another New Japan podcast considering how hot the product is and it’s nice to get different viewpoints.

These elimination matches have been real fun and done their job of building feuds and building up characters.

The first Chaos v SeikiGun match for example had: White no selling his Chaos partners by not posing with them, Ospreay stubbornly teasing the apron Spanish Fly, Juice Fighting like hell to eliminate Goto only to get easily dumped by Okada, and White and Finlay getting nice little run by being the last two guys standing. Good match tied together with solid wrestling holding it together particularly from Kushida and Ospreay.

The SZG v LIJ match was better as a match overall as it felt this match style suited both teams allowing them to just run wild. The standout in this, imo, was Sanada. He has some insane chemistry as the little guy to KES as big guys. Also props to Gedo for featuring the Jr tag match up at the end and letting Desperado cut the post match promo. Really makes him feel more important imo.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:I think the Purocast is done. It just seems that it was a strain and stress for Damon which is understandable. I do hope VOW picks up another New Japan podcast considering how hot the product is and it’s nice to get different viewpoints.
Oh crap.

Too bad, i loved their look on the business (especially Damon's, btw). Hope he is alright nonetheless.

Thanks for the answer buddy.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Flagship on NJPW >>> Purocast so it was redundant

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

OptionZero wrote:Flagship on NJPW >>> Purocast so it was redundant
Eh, Joe and Rich didn't cover it always and it wasn't the biggest part of the product. A niche coverage wasn't out of order, else we wouldn't have Burning Spirits or other groups.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

They cover all pretty much every show (but for some small ones), go into quite a bit of detail, and their Patreon gives bonus news and tidbits on it, far more than Purocast ever did

Once Purocast said they "didn't have time" to watch BTE, i kinda wrote them off as old farts that were out of this game

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 am

I enjoyed the Purocast and listened to every episode, but I agree with OptionZero that Joe and Rich do a better job covering New Japan than Collin and Damon ever did. I know that they made a lot of vague references to Damon nearly quitting the show at different points, but it also seemed to me like Collin had been pretty checked out of the product since Wrestle Kingdom (to the point that I remember him saying that he was not excited for the then-upcoming Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks match, which I cannot fathom anyone who is invested in New Japan not being at least interested in). So whatever their reasons were for moving on I think they picked the right time to walk away, before the show became a drag to listen to.

Where the Flagship guys tend to analyze New Japan's creative decisions by asking first "why are they doing this?/what does this mean for business?/how might this fit into long-term booking plans?" it seemed like the Purocast guys' analysis were more often based around just gut reactions about what they were excited or not excited about. That can be interesting to hear about in its own right, but it's a more limited way of looking at things.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 pm

OptionZero wrote: Once Purocast said they "didn't have time" to watch BTE, i kinda wrote them off as old farts that were out of this game
Same. On one of their podcasts I think it was Colin who said something to the effect of not wanting to have to watch the backstage promos in order to understand the story. I was listening sporadically by that point, but once that was said I handwaved their podcast.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:13 pm

I think a podcast that is focused on something specific really helps new fans get more invested, even if it's not always all positive but just genuine reactions, and I think Purocast filled that purpose. I always look up podcasts if I get into something new and exciting, and I'm sure Purocast was that for many people. I enjoyed it a lot over the years, the guys had chemistry and while I did not always agree with them, I loved hearing their perspectives and little in-jokes (Chief Jay Goto is gonna live on in fandom, I hope). It was a staple of my exercise sessions, as well as my Monday/Tuesday commutes.

Burnout happens to us all, sometimes in small ways and sometimes in big, dramatic ways. I hope the guys can still enjoy pro wrestling.

I haven't been keeping up with NJPW all that much in all honesty, but I liked the Korakuen main from Saturday a lot. I missed EVIL while he was gone, and he looks to be in great shape, got great reactions on Saturday.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:10 am

Get ready! For three weeks cold takes!

I watched most of the Lions Gate show and caught a glimpse of the new young lions. Narita really showed a lot in his match against the newbie Uemura, who certainly has 'the look', but not much else thus far. Will see how he develops over time. Preferred Tsuji, who had a stance in the beginning of the match like he was going to land some stiff kicks, until Oka took over and dominated him. Still, if that was a tease of his style to come, I am excited.

Really excited about Yoshida being back and challenging Nagata again. He looked good in the match and I look forward what he can do in his singles main on the next show. And Umino vs Daisuke Sekimoto! Holy balls. That is going to be a must-see show, at least for those two matches.

Funny how my cynical ass harped on how Ospreay and Scurll never outdo their famous High Stakes match in NJPW, and then they do just that on the show I end up watching 3 weeks late. Absolutely stunning match, though made me grimace and cry out a lot with all those neck-focused spots. I do trust that these guys can do them somewhat safely, but at the same time, I cannot figure out how that is possible.

This Will Ospreay story is one that I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about, because the discussions surrounding bigger topics like Okada's reign, Naito's whatever-this-is, White's push, Sabre's rise and Bullet Club have all dominated the fandom. Kevin Kelly referenced it on commentary starting from the match with Okada at the Anniversary, but honestly the story has been on-going since 2016. Young kid, arrives on the scene hot, fizzles out fairly quickly and for the longest time serves as the hot sequence in CHAOS multi-man tags, doing his Sasuke specials and fired up flippy sequences against whoever, getting Korakuen going. This is the "what the fuck is Gedo doing" period, but we all know the reasons why - even if he knows where the story is headed, Will is still a junior and juniors get less focus than heavies.

Then 2017 BOSJ arrives and he's close, but again no cigar, KUSHIDA is still the better man. But eventually he beats KUSHIDA, only to fall victim to his old arch nemesis in Scurll. He beats Scurll at the Dome, but it's not really enough, he has to vanquish all his past foes to prove he's finally the bar everybody else in the division needs to rise to. So the Hiromu match happens, the Okada match happens (in which he gets taught what it takes to be the Ace), the Scurll match happens and now finally again, KUSHIDA (another guy who has gone through the "what the fuck is Gedo doing" story cycle, albeit earlier).

Now, I've laid out the story here and I'm a huge Ospreay fan, have been since 2015 when I first saw the PROGRESS storyline in full. Just because there is a story, does not mean anybody has to like it. I think it sucks that Ospreay had those 12 months of wasted time on his contract, but Gedo finally showed up to pay off the story starting last year. But right now? I think I could get into this. Ospreay's story somewhat resembles that of Okada, albeit with more humbling moments, which is great, because I think Ospreay is a much more sympathetic figure in kayfabe than Okada is. With that said, I hope he does not become a champion who never ever loses, because I don't think that story fits him. I think it'll be better if he becomes the standard-bearer, but also falls on occasion, maybe to his old foes like Hiromu or Scurll, or maybe to an entirely new rising star in the division (one of RPG3K perhaps?). Outside of kayfabe, it's clear he's inked a new deal with the company, so I think we will see him around for a while.

rollup

Post by rollup » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:35 pm

G1 is 3 months away , and i think we can sort of filter if we get a chance for a surprise entrant

Heres the all but confirmed list :

1. Okada
2. Tanahashi
3. Naito
4. Suzuki
5. Evil
6. Sanada
7. Ishii
8. Kenny omega
9. Ibushi
10. Goto
11. Bad Luck Fale
12. Juice
13. Jay White

Very Likely :

14. ZSJ
15. Yano
16. Yoshi Hashi
17. Tama Tonga
18. Elgin
19. Taichi

decent chance :

20. Cody Rhodes
21. Hangman Page
22. DBS Jr
23. Lance Archer
24. Henare
25. David Finlay
26. Yujiro
27. Trent
28. Chuckie T
29. Surprise entrant

part of a problem of a big roster means the lesser chance of a surprise entrant , but with they hosting at the Budokan , i am sure they have a surprise entrant up their sleeve ( please not Marafuji). i would guess Elgin , Tama , Yano and Yoshi hashi are the vote getters to be sacrificed :lol: :lol:

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Been busy in work and there has been far too much important football on to watch all these New Japan Korakuen shows but there have been some pretty great matches.

Really enjoyed Yota Tsuji vs. Yuya Uemura. Yota Tsuji has something about him. Just looking at him and you can tell he is different to everyone else. Maybe because he looks different to most Young Lions, but I am certainly going to be keeping an eye on him.

Despy & Kanemaru vs Hiromu & BUSHI was fun until the finish. The loudest Korakuen got in the select matches I watched.

Henare vs Ishii was great. Henare turned 90 seconds/2 minutes of interactions with Ishii in multi mans into a fantastic match. Reminded me so much og the style the NEVER belt matches were worked during their peak.

White vs Finlay was great and I went 4.25 on it. Amazed it went over 25 minutes as it flew by. White still has kinks to iron out he is going to be a top of the card player, but that's another lengthy main event style match he has under his belt. I assume that will be something to keep note of moving forward...

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 pm

rollup wrote:G1 is 3 months away , and i think we can sort of filter if we get a chance for a surprise entrant

Very Likely : ZSJ
I think with ZSJ reaching the New Japan Cup Finals and signing a full time NJPW contract, I think you can upgrade him to all but confirmed.

Junior Tag title match from 23rd, was very good. Would have preferred a clean finish and in the moment it did piss me off but it didn't sink the match for me.

Ishii vs Henare is as exactly as Empiresk said a throwback to the bruising NEVER title matches. A strong effort from Henare.

White vs Finlay was excellent once the match began to heat up during the portion where White was completely dominating Finlay and trash-talking by derogatory referring to Finlay as a 'Young Boy'. Right now White is capable of delivering a strong go-home stretch but he struggles with the slow build portion of a lengthy main event style match.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 pm

rollup wrote:G1 is 3 months away , and i think we can sort of filter if we get a chance for a surprise entrant

Heres the all but confirmed list :

1. Okada
2. Tanahashi
3. Naito
4. Suzuki
5. Evil
6. Sanada
7. Ishii
8. Kenny omega
9. Ibushi
10. Goto
11. Bad Luck Fale
12. Juice
13. Jay White

Very Likely :

14. ZSJ
15. Yano
16. Yoshi Hashi
17. Tama Tonga
18. Elgin
19. Taichi

decent chance :

20. Cody Rhodes
21. Hangman Page
22. DBS Jr
23. Lance Archer
24. Henare
25. David Finlay
26. Yujiro
27. Trent
28. Chuckie T
29. Surprise entrant

You may have forgotten a certain sweet obsessed unchained gorilla.

Makabe included gives you a full 20 but you could easily push the field to 24 if necessary or desired. Cody, Hangman, Finlay, Henare, and even Yujiro to a lesser extent have delivered when called upon this past year and could be plausibly booked in the G1. Any surprise entrants would be gravy this year I think.

part of a problem of a big roster means the lesser chance of a surprise entrant , but with they hosting at the Budokan , i am sure they have a surprise entrant up their sleeve ( please not Marafuji). i would guess Elgin , Tama , Yano and Yoshi hashi are the vote getters to be sacrificed :lol: :lol:

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 pm

I did that reply wrong. Oops.

Long story short: They will add Makabe to make 20 but they could easily expand to 24 if necessary.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 am

White vs. Finlay was a fantastic US Title match. It was great to see Finlay in a significant, epic match. It's a shame that his look will probably always hold him back from having a bigger role in New Japan, but if he can periodically revisit this feud with White I guess that's something at least.

Ishii vs. Henare was a lot of fun too. I was surprised how much offense Henare got in. I figured it would be a 10 minute match where Henare would kick out of some stuff and get a few hope spots in, but he was toe to toe with Ishii for a lot of the match. They were going full force as if they were wrestling for Ishii's British Heavyweight Title and not just having a random singles match in the middle of a Road To show.

The Jr Tag Title match was really entertaining although I agree with the general consensus that the ending was kind of weak. I don't think that Hiromu and BUSHI really would've lost any credibility with the fans by taking a clean loss in this context. Still a really explosive, fast-paced match. It's funny, I find Kanemaru really bland when he's on his own but I really like his tag team with El Desperado. Meanwhile Hiromu and BUSHI might have the best collection of double team maneuvers on the roster despite being two singles guys who occasionally team together.