NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Superdeformed

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Superdeformed » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Tagkura Tagesis

SuitWilliams

Post by SuitWilliams » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I know they're saving the IC and NEVER title matches for Dontaku, so this doesn't annoy me as much as it does others. That is a pretty good top 3 though.
----------
These are things I do.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SuitWilliams

PWPonderings reviews: http://www.pwponderings.com/author/suit-williams/

Voices of Wrestling reviews: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/author ... lwilliams/

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:What do you guys make of these two cards? I've seen some grumbling online about the lack of punch on Sakura Genesis. What say you?

Road to Sakura Genesis (3/30, 5:30 a.m. EDT)
Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi
Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA, BUSHI and Hiromu Takahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado
Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA and Tiger Mask vs. Toru Yano, Yoh and Sho
Juice Robinson, David Finlay and Toa Henare vs. Hirooki Goto, Jay White and Tomohiro Ishii
Togi Makabe, Michael Elgin and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi and Tomoyuki Oka
Yuji Nagata vs. Shota Umino
Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. Ren Narita
Sakura Genesis (4/1, 3:00 a.m. EDT)
Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the IWGP Heavyweight championship
Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi vs. Cody and Hangman Page
Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll for the IWGP Jr. championship
El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Roppongi 3K vs. Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI in a triple threat match for the IWGP Jr. tag team championship
Tetsuya Naito, EVIL and SANADA vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Hirooki Goto, Jay White and YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Michael Elgin and Togi Makabe for the NEVER Six Man tag team championship
Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Taichi and Takashi Iizuka
The Young Bucks vs. Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi
I don't hate the Sakura Genesis card, it's just not surprising in any way, and a clear step down from last year.

Okada vs Sabre should be really good, although it's definitely not going to touch Shibata vs Okada, which felt like a great match that was a long time coming where Shibata COULD have won. There is no way Sabre wins here. So that deflates the excitement a bit.

Golden Lovers vs Cody/Page............... listen. It'll be fun, and there's still a sort of novelty to seeing Golden Lovers together right now. But there are diminishing returns in that novelty, so I'm glad they are running them through a lot of 2v2 standard matchups right now. If they do a tag title thing, I hope they do it soon.

I didn't like any of the previous Marty vs Ospreay matches and it's a huge downgrade from KUSHIDA vs Hiromu obviously.

The three way will probably be fun but fuck it you know how can I get excited for it.

So yeah, all in all it will be a watchable card, but this is still my least favorite part of the NJPW year, because most of the outcomes feel pretty predetermined, and everything outside of the main event scene feels just thrown together. I'm also not as into the Suzuki-gun vs LIJ feud when we have to get people like KES involved.

rollup

Post by rollup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

i doubt it will reach 10k+ like last year. i also expect them to announce naito vs suzuki for one of the dontaku shows

wingedeagle

Post by wingedeagle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 pm

It absolutely feels like a weak lineup for what's generally considered one of their biggest shows of the year. I'm sure the focus on SSE contributed to it, but if ticket sales for this are already strong then they likely didn't see any reason to load it up at the last minute. If the top 2 matches deliver (and there's no reason they shouldn't, especially with the opportunity to further the Golden Lovers/BC story) then there probably won't be many complaints, but it would've been nice to see Suzuki/Naito or Goto/Juice here rather than save everything for the Dontaku double dip next month.

MC 16

Post by MC 16 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Lackluster Show aside from the main event on paper. Probably turn out decent overall.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:36 pm

I really like the Road to Show. It's pretty much anchored by Taguchi Japan and CHAOS, but we've got a lot of seemingly fresh or fresh-ish matches that I'd watch or want to follow up on on twitter.

Sakura Genesis... Well, I don't like the juniors in a triangle match and I don't get why Lance and Davey don't have a tag title match lined up. They could have delayed Ospreay vs. Scurll to Dominion and had the heavyweight tags mix it up here. The new All-Bullet Club match is interesting. I wouldn't say it's a shit show at all. More of a breather show before Dominion, with a lot of story work to be on show. We've been taking it a bit easier this year so far I suppose than usual, but to be honest I don't mind it all given how hectic IRL has been for me so far.

Jagger27

Post by Jagger27 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I think the main event has potential to be something special, even though I know in my heart there is no chance of Sabre winning Okada is one of the best for making you bite on near falls, I even believed Sanada could beat him at one point in the match!
I'm hopeful for the semi-main but feels like if anything it may be too soon after SSE. Ospreay and Scurll is always a great match-up for me personally and it will be interesting to see EVIL back and ramping up towards the KES match.
It's sad that after so many people (myself included) thought Iishi could be in the main event of this show that he is in a match with Yano, Taichi and Iizuka.
@mikedaysley

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:What do you guys make of these two cards? I've seen some grumbling online about the lack of punch on Sakura Genesis. What say you?

Road to Sakura Genesis (3/30, 5:30 a.m. EDT)
Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi
Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA, BUSHI and Hiromu Takahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado
Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA and Tiger Mask vs. Toru Yano, Yoh and Sho
Juice Robinson, David Finlay and Toa Henare vs. Hirooki Goto, Jay White and Tomohiro Ishii
Togi Makabe, Michael Elgin and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi and Tomoyuki Oka
Yuji Nagata vs. Shota Umino
Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. Ren Narita
Sakura Genesis (4/1, 3:00 a.m. EDT)
Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the IWGP Heavyweight championship
Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi vs. Cody and Hangman Page
Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll for the IWGP Jr. championship
El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Roppongi 3K vs. Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI in a triple threat match for the IWGP Jr. tag team championship
Tetsuya Naito, EVIL and SANADA vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Hirooki Goto, Jay White and YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Michael Elgin and Togi Makabe for the NEVER Six Man tag team championship
Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Taichi and Takashi Iizuka
The Young Bucks vs. Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi
Both cards look pretty fun to me. It'll be better than the vast majority of what I'm going to wind up seeing the following Sunday.

I'm sure I'm in the overwhelming minority when I say I REALLY hope ZSJ beats Okada and I think there's a real chance he does... Okada doesn't need the record right now. He doesn't even care about it. This record should be his achievement when he's 35-37 and has enough experience behind him to acknowledge how special it is, and how important it is to his legacy. ZSJ should be his hardest problem to solve at this point and one that he shouldn't be able to solve right now (definitely not with that cobra clutch). ZSJ cleared through a murderers row of opponents, including the last two IWGP title challengers and the previous IWGP heavyweight champion. I've probably worked myself into a corner, lol, but it's kind of nice to tune in and be on the edge of my seat with uncertainty about the outcome, you know?

I find myself continuously discovering all kinds of new, fun things to watch and learn with this company (mostly thanks to the observations of this forum as well as the Flagship, so thanks for that!) :)

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm

On its face this Sakura Genesis is lacking to last year's show. Last year we had a 5 title matches and the only one that was DOA was the Jr tag title. This year we got 6 man tag title match that no one cares about and while the Jr tag match is better this year, it's still got a ceiling because it's a 3 way. Kushida v Hiromu is 1000 times hotter last year than Ospreay v Scrull is this year. GL match is essentially taking the place to the tag title matchso that's an improvement. No Comp for the Goto v Sabre match which hurts this year. Sabre v Okada and Okada v Shibata are somewhat comparable.

TBH though this card lacks the mystery factor last year's had. You had Omega continuing a feud with Ishii that ended up being a feud of the year contender. You also had the shock of Juice upsetting Naito which I just don't see happening on this card as it's clear we are getting SZG v LIJ in three title matches at one of the Dontaku shows. So there is definite sense of treading water.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Road to show has 0 of value to me on paper, unless they nut up and have Zack sub Okada. I get the arguments against it, but I don't want to even see a tag match with those two teams that doesn't end in that result if the idea is to build to the title match. A sub over Yoshi-hashi means fuck all. Maybe you could have Okada sub Taichi to slightly lesser effect but it's not really what I want to see.

The show itself is not really my thing, but I don't have issues with it really. The Suzuki-Gun trio could be good, I like The Bucks working a heavyweight team, the rest of the undercard is whatever. Golden Lovers will have their match with anyone and I will guess it will be widely praised and speak to their fans. I never want to see Ospreay v Scurll again but I'm in the extreme minority so I don't matter

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:37 pm

If the Golden Lovers are going to stay together for a long while, I want to see a KES feud with them.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Have to say that this year's Sakura Genesis card, feels more like a Dontaku/Destruction style card. Surprised that neither of the NEVER or Tag titles are being defended on the show. I think if they put either one of those shows, I think you would get considerably less grumblings about it being an underwhelming card.

The Road To show is completely skippable- but Korakuen shows can range from Can't Miss to little more than a House Show, this one is definitely at the lower end of the scale.

They are probably holding back on some of the big matches, because ticket sales were probably strong enough for SG not to have to load up the card and the fact that they've got about a billion shows on the Dontaku Tour (OK slight exaggeration but they're a lot of shows)....

Back to Korakuen shows on April 13th and 14th; another pair of back to back Korakuen's on the 23rd and 24th; Road to Dontaku-Aki Province Sengoku Emaki in Hiroshima Green Arena on 27th April, Wrestling Hi No Kuni in Kumamoto on 29th April and then two Dontaku shows in Fukuoka on May 3rd and 4th.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 pm

I thought it was really noticeable at SSE how the crowd burnt themselves out after the LIJ tag. The last four matches were excellent imo and yet didn't get the response they deserved. I was wondering if this is something that should be taken into account when putting the card together or if it's just one of those things that can happen.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Is it possible that they're going to really load up Dontaku to make a possible Tanahashi/Okada match a bigger deal event? Or are their venues still more minor.