NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Heather

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Heather » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:
Heather wrote:
Ishii over Sabre (Ishii has 2 losses to Sabre from 2017 to redeem himself from, the U.S. Title Tournament and the G1. Ishii wins this, picks his title shot, and Switchblade is once again the smartest guy in the room. Ishii would lose against Okada at Sakura Genesis of course, but I hope he gets to go for it.)

I like this, only thing is Ishii and Sabre are 1 and 1, Ishii won the US title tournament match. But this could still go down. I think Ishii does take this whole thing, against either Sabre or Ibushi in the finals. H's got that win over Okada in a MOTY from 2016, and like you said Switchblade is right once again.
I totally forgot about Ishii winning U.S. Title tournament match for some reason, even though I do remember loving that match.
I guess my brain had a brief short circuit, lol.

Well, it was a good idea until Elgin decided to tinkle in my cornflakes... I wonder if it will be Ibushi?
Then Kenny will be playing catch-up to his best friend once again.
#TeamChuckieT

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Well I feel dumb as a bag of hammers now.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote: Btw Juice got a really good match out of Yujiro. I'm still amazed at how good Juice is at selling and making that genuine baby face connection. That's two good singles match efforts in a row for Yujiro( dating back to the Beretta match at Destruction last year) so I wonder if this is the annual effort for him or if he is trying harder to get back into the midcard and the G1.
Part of him must also be noticing the spate of recent injuries and figuring that, with even a little effort, he has a decent shot of making it back in due to attrition.

I feel bad for people really invested in this Cup, mainly because
a) it's becoming pretty clear that the office doesn't see in Ishii what we do--that "solid hand" mark is all over him at this point
b) how much of a shit does he give about being pushed? I wonder...

Unrelated note: I'm enjoying the recent run of Suzuki-gun dominance, them sweeping their matches today is a tremendous boost to my morale.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote: Btw Juice got a really good match out of Yujiro. I'm still amazed at how good Juice is at selling and making that genuine baby face connection. That's two good singles match efforts in a row for Yujiro( dating back to the Beretta match at Destruction last year) so I wonder if this is the annual effort for him or if he is trying harder to get back into the midcard and the G1.
Part of him must also be noticing the spate of recent injuries and figuring that, with even a little effort, he has a decent shot of making it back in due to attrition.

I feel bad for people really invested in this Cup, mainly because
a) it's becoming pretty clear that the office doesn't see in Ishii what we do--that "solid hand" mark is all over him at this point
b) how much of a shit does he give about being pushed? I wonder...

Unrelated note: I'm enjoying the recent run of Suzuki-gun dominance, them sweeping their matches today is a tremendous boost to my morale.
Ishii is the Cesaro of New Japan. He gets more opportunities to shine in singles matches, but he'll never rise above his current station.

I don't watch the product close enough to know if Elgin winning would be so out of left field at this point, but they clearly aren't downgrading him. The match today was awesome even if he did appear to almost kill Ishii twice. Juice/Yujiro was just a shade below great but well above my expectations, so wins all around!

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm

I thought the Ishii/ Elgin match was very good bordering great but my main gripe (Other than the near death on top rope Razor's Edge) was that both one count kick outs were so obvious a million miles away and felt unearned and maybe a little unnecessary, Ishii is normally so good at getting these at just the right moment to get a huge reaction and neither got what they'd have hoped for in my opinion.

Also, I was on board for the Ishii/Okada match so I'm a little sad he got knocked out immediately. Oh well, fingers crossed for Ibushi now then!

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 am

I try and have low expectations of the Cup because every year some matches that look to be bangers end up not being very good at all, or just disappointing (last year Suzuki vs Shibata for example) but also matches that are just as good or better than expected. Juice vs Yujiro took its time to get going but when it did, boy did it get going. Really enjoyed it. Juice just has that babyface fire and Yujiro can put his effort in when he wants to. AND this outcome also saved us from the Yuge G1 run (for now at least, knock on wood).

I enjoyed bits and parts of the Elgin vs Ishii match but overall the outcome soured me on it. It's not that Elgin's rl goings on have soured me on him, I just didn't really feel the layout of the match and it felt a bit overkill towards the end. Maybe the length didn't help, either. I wanted Ishii to have a few good matches in this tournament, maybe advance to the finals, but nah. I'm honestly quite bummed out. The spot where he nearly died in the match wasn't fun either, jesus.

On a more positive note, Chuckie T was on English commentary and did well. I've never liked the jokey bro-y commentary of his on PWG but he can be serious and only joke when it makes sense, so I think NJPW can certainly use him in this role as well.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:41 am

I wonder if Elgin will win the Njc. Then he loses to Okada.

I knew Ishii was going to lose, most of modern NJPW booking has easy patterns to figure out that the booking team likes to use. And which workers they like to put in certain places and roles.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm

All of the Australia shows are up on NJPW World. No commentary. Under series, the link with the NJPW symbol over the Australian flag.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:I wonder if Elgin will win the Njc. Then he loses to Okada.

I knew Ishii was going to lose, most of modern NJPW booking has easy patterns to figure out that the booking team likes to use. And which workers they like to put in certain places and roles.
I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. Ironically, Elgin's real life controversy may have ended up benefiting his career in Japan. I think Elgin had some very real WWE aspirations that made his contract situation murky so the NJPW was more reluctant to push him at all in 2017. Now that his personal life has blown up State side, it would seem like Elgin's only real option is to exile himself and rehab his image in Japan which makes it easier for both him and the office to commit to each other again. I could see Elgin getting a big title shot against Okada and maybe another run with the IC belt or a run with the US belt before they down cycle him again.

impactjaz

Post by impactjaz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 pm

After watching Taichi vs Tanahashi, I think Tana is looking better aesthetically and athletically than he has in at least 18 months. Maybe a sign that he has been preparing for a big IWGP title match ...

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Against all odds, the best match of the New Japan Cup so far is Juice vs. Yujiro. Juice is such an incredible babyface, and Yujiro showed here (as in the similarly structured Beretta match from Destruction) that he is capable of having really good matches. Aside from maybe Ishii, I never find myself rooting harder for anyone than Juice Robinson.

I liked Elgin vs. Ishii overall, but it felt like it went long for the sake of going long. These types of big bruiser matches are much better when they are sprints (like the famous Ishii vs. Shibata G1 match, or the previous Elgin vs. Ishii match) or when they slowly build to the ultra-stiff spots (Goto vs. Shibata at Wrestle Kingdom 11). The closing stretch was amazing though, despite Ishii nearly getting murdered. Ishii's groggy post-match selling was something to behold as well.

Today's matches didn't do a lot for me. Fale vs. Archer was a little better than I thought it would be, and I thought they did a good job working around the physical limitations of big man vs. big man match, but I couldn't really get invested in it. By the time Archer is done with his endless water-spitting entrance I'm usually ready for him to just get off the screen. Also I am always disappointed when Fale wins a match with the Grenade rather than the Bad Luck Fall, even though I realize that it's probably unrealistic to expect him to get a guy of Archer's size up for that move.

I liked the Naito match from the Anniversary Show, but I felt that Taichi largely reverted back to being a boring shenanigans guy in his match with Tanahashi. The closing stretch was okay, but overall I thought this was one of the worst Tanahashi singles matches in recent memory.

Juice vs. Elgin and Fale vs. Tanahashi should both be good quarterfinals matches, and we've certainly seen both pairings deliver in the past. I was really hoping for Juice vs. Ishii though. Oh well, maybe they'll wind up in the same G1 block.

I haven't watched all of the undercard stuff, but Ibushi's uneasy alliance with the Bullet Club has been fun to watch. Plus, it's a trip to watch Chase Owens be paired up with Kazuchika Okada in these Bullet Club vs. CHAOS tags. I'd recommend watching the BC vs. CHAOS tags from both nights if you skipped them.

The LIJ vs. Suzukigun tags haven't been anything special, but TAKA acting as Zack Sabre Jr.'s hype man has been really entertaining.

On Night One several of the Young Lions took on a CHAOS team in a really good match. Oka stepped up to Goto and they had some really good interactions. It was the first time I've ever really been into Oka, so I hope that Goto becomes his white whale in the same way that Ishii is for Henare. I love those types of stories in wrestling, so I really hope that Oka and Goto interact more in the future.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't think I have laughed at the absurdity of Taichi hitting Tanahashi with a FUCKING GANSO BOMB in the main event of a New Japan show and me buying it as a finish.

18 months ago Taichi was in the worst match I have ever see in my life (vs Liger in Super J Cup) and now he has had two good matches with Tanahashi and Naito to establish him as a heavyweight.

This company can do some magical things.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Today's 2 matches weren't great. I was really bored during Fale v Archer. Tana v Taichi was better but they could easily have shaved 5 minutes off it, I'm not feeling the recent Taichi love like some.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am

The tentative working relationship between Ibushi and Bullet Club has been absolute gold

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

Ibushi vs Yoshi-Hashi was fantastic. Best match of Yoshi-Hashi's career in my opinion. Even better than the Omega match in the 2016 G1.

ZSJ continuous his 2018 Most Outstanding Wrestler resume. I have multiple 4*+ matches in five different promotions in three continents and I haven't seen any Rev Pro yet. I know the Flagship has brought up how many times he has popped up in their spreadsheets and how they are always shocked by the end of the year, but I hope people this year recognise his resume much earlier in the year.