NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Bloodbuzz Bunk

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:Who is winning the NJ Cup then? I'll go for Ishii
I only see 3 options at the moment:
1) Juice
The case: Juice has constantly talking about the the New Japan Cup in his backstage comments and Kevin Kelly brings up the Cup during everyone of Juice's matches on the last couple of tours. Juice has already said if gets in the field and wins than he is challenging Jay White for the US title.

2) Ishii
The case: Everyone's dark horse favorite to win the Cup because he is everyone's favorite bad ass. Jay White recently picked him to win the Cup in a backstage comment which might be setting up a potential feud. This would also set up a great main event between Suzuki and Ishii for the IC title at one of the three Wrestling Dontaku shows or as a semi main at Genesis.

3) Tanahashi
The case: Tana holds the record for most successful IWGP heavyweight title defenses in a singular reign at 11. Okada as we all know is rapidly approaching defense number 11. Perhaps Tanahashi wins and sets up another match with Okada. Maybe Tanahashi wins and faces Suzuki to settle the score from New Beginning.

4) Wildcard: Naito
The case: Naito is still over and will likely get the chance to win the IWGP title again this year based on the storytelling from WK12. Winning the Cup is a means to get him that shot though it might be to early for this match again. Also a lot depends on the outcome of the Jericho feud that we all imagine is coming to a head at SSE.

I personally think it's Tanahashi's Cup to lose but all four seem like solid options to me.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Garuda wrote:For some reason the Honor Rising and New Beginning Osaka shows are getting me to think how loaded the roster is - in a way that has me curious about how on earth they're going to make picks for the G1.

I liked Joe's suggestion on the flagship to get at least one Aussie in the g1, and they should, but holy shit they're so stacked I don't know how they're going to make the picks this year. Please give Makabe's slot to someone else.
Alright, let's get nerdy...

Last year's G1 participants were Tetsuya Naito, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Bad Luck Fale, Hirooki Goto, Kota Ibushi, Zack Sabre Jr., Tomohiro Ishii, Togi Makabe, YOSHI-HASHI, Yuji Nagata, Kenny Omaga, Kazuchika Okada, EVIL, Minoru Suzuki, Tama Tonga, SANADA, Juice Robinson, Toru Yano, Michael Elgin and Satoshi Kojima.

Nagata and Kojima are definitely out this year (since last year was Nagata's G1 retirement, and Kojima is out with an injury that will keep him out past August). As we know Michael Elgin's contract is up soon and while it's unclear what New Japan really thinks of him at this point or how much his recent personal issues will weigh on the company's decision to resign him I think it's fair to assume that he probably won't be in the G1 this year.

I don't really see any other reason that the other 17 competitors from last year's tournament won't return for this year's, barring any major injuries or other unforeseen circumstances. I could see Makabe or Tonga possibly sitting out if either G.O.D. or Great Bash Heel (assuming that Honma is healthy by then) are named as challengers for the Tag Titles for the G1 Finals show, but you would think that one or the other of those two will be in the tournament.

Therefore, assuming that they stick to the recent format of two 10-man blocks, that only opens up four slots. Jay White and Beretta will almost certainly take two of those positions, and I'm guessing that Taichi will take another one if he is really moving up to heavyweight. That leaves one open slot where you could maybe put Jonah Rock or Jeff Cobb or somebody like that if they want to throw in an outsider. Cody could also get in I guess, although I'm assuming that he is going to stick to his schedule of just showing up for the tour-ending shows. I'd love to see David Finlay get a shot, but it seems like New Japan just doesn't see him as being at that level.

Anyway, we're obviously jumping the gun thinking about the G1 since the New Japan Cup participants haven't even been announced yet, but it's fun to speculate.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:16 pm

I think Elgin quietly got re-signed for another year or two.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

NJ Cup participants being announced tonight

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Trent Beretta supposedly has some serious injuries (rumored torn triceps and torn pectoral), so I think his chance of being in the Cup or in G1 are up in the air now also.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:59 pm

I'd be very surprised if Makabe wasn't penciled in for G1 already. Quite apart from his popularity, there's a lack of veterans stars with no Nagata, Kojima or Tenzan involved, plus from a booking standpoint Makabe's a perfect guy to have in, because he can beat or lose to literally anyone in the company. I mean, G1 time, you could say that about 95% of the roster I suppose, but a guy like Makabe especially.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:36 am

GOLDEN LOVERS VS THE YOUNG BUCKS AT STRONG STYLE EVOLVED!!!

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 am

2018 New Japan Cup First Round Matches

March 9

Michael Elgin v Tomohiro Ishii

Juice Robinson v Yujiro Takahashi

March 10

Hiroshi Tanashi v Taichi

Bad Luck Fale v Lance Archer

March 11

YOSHI-HASHI v Kota Ibushi

Tetsuya Naito v Zack Sabre Jr.

March 12

Yano Toru v Davey Boy Smith Jr,

Chucky T v SANADA

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 am

The New Japan Cup looks great and I'm excited that Ibushi is there but I'm a little perplexed that Omega isn't. I feel like the finals are likely ZSJ v Tana/Ishii/Juice. Zach just feels like a strong enough booked guy to get some upsets over major stars like Naito and Ibushi and then lose in a final.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 am

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:The New Japan Cup looks great and I'm excited that Ibushi is there but I'm a little perplexed that Omega isn't. I feel like the finals are likely ZSJ v Tana/Ishii/Juice. Zach just feels like a strong enough booked guy to get some upsets over major stars like Naito and Ibushi and then lose in a final.
Makes sense to me, ZSJ is just the sort of guy to pick up mild upsets over Naito and Ibushi (both of whom I think are more likely to have a strong G1 than a strong NJC) and be the 'surprise' finalist.

Apart from his potential semi final match up, there's also a pretty obvious Tanahashi vs Suzukigun narrative, with Tanahashi facing Taichi in the first round, potentially facing Archer in the second round and then either ZSJ or DBS in the finals.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 am

packerman120 wrote:I agree with Frank on the Beer City Bruiser point. Not too many wrestlers come out of Wisconsin, so to see one do well in NJPW was awesome. And extremely weird. Also, this Golden Lovers storyline may be the most captivated I've ever been in wrestling. Can't wait to see where they go.
He certainly made the best on what read odd on paper. He even did extra duty due to Trent's injury. If you think about it, he is kind of good fit for Japan. He has the physiology closest to a Sumo ringer and he embodies every prejudice about disgusting drunken dirty Americans that hygiene-obsessed Japanese use to have. No wonder he drew these reactions.

I loved the level of details and nuances in the main events.
- Marty hesitated to break Kenny's fingers in the first night, the second night he did.
- Cody and Hangman impersonated the rise of the terminator, while Marty did not want to join.
- Before the main event of the second night, Marty explained to Kenny that he was not against him but now Omega seemed to prefer working with Ibushi over working with Bullet Club and that's why Marty was against him.
- Kenny/Ibushi were deliberately showing that they had not wrestled together for years and still had need for coordination.
- On night 1, the young bucks tried to separate the team Kenny and team Cody. On night 2 after Kenny's promo, they took their own side.
- Cody and Kenny closed each one night, both with claiming their superiority, and both times no other bullet club member backed it up.
- Fun Fact: four former junior heavyweights claim that they are the best heavyweight tag teams.

The two main event set out the huge potential for NJPW, ROH and All In for this year.

Talking business: The golden lovers merch looks great. Kudos to NJPW for taking the risk of moving Kenny a bit away from Bullet Club despite of the huge merch sales. They might now even sell more altogether.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Tigerkinney wrote: Apart from his potential semi final match up, there's also a pretty obvious Tanahashi vs Suzukigun narrative, with Tanahashi facing Taichi in the first round, potentially facing Archer in the second round and then either ZSJ or DBS in the finals.
This is an excellent point. My first thought when I saw the lineup was that Taichi would score an upset over Tanahashi to set him up as a roadblock for Tanahashi to overcome at one of the spring shows before Tanahashi could challenge Suzuki again. But maybe it's more likely that he has a tournament full of Suzukigun challengers to overcome and then he reclaims the IC Title at Sakura Genesis. Perhaps they want to fast track Tanahashi's redemption story so that he can overcome Suzuki and then be freed up to be Okada's 12th challenger in time for Dominion (although that would also mean a champion vs. champion scenario, which is not something they normally do).

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pm

well either one of Naito or Tanahashi will be in the final (to help tickets sales).

Him in the presser should be a giveaway but Tana winning the cup makes a lot of sense. Now from kayfabe perspective would the ego of Tana chose to redeem himself against the man who took him out or prevent an old rival from tying his iwgp defense record ? :lol:

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Tanahashi has to get one of the next two title shots. So he could win the cup, beating a SZG guy each round, and challenge Okada for his record-tying 10th defense. I much prefer Tanahashi challenging at Dominion as Okada tried to break the record. And the Cup is made for upsets. Tana/Taichi screams upset to me. Tana could get his win back at Sakura Genesis and challenge Okada then.

The Cup is often used to give a boost to a guy who wasn't quite main event level. This is the main reason I don't think Tana or Naito win. With no Suzuki, a Tanahashi redemption angle would feel flat.

Ibushi is the most likely winner. Ibushi/Okada is the freshest match, and Ibushi is the biggest name Okada hasn't defended his title against. In fact, the last time Okada and Ibushi had a singles match was 2014, when Ibushi was IWGP Jr champion. The match makes too much sense to not do.

AlphabetJones

Post by AlphabetJones » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw the bracket was that Taichi is pinning Tanahashi 100%