NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
syxxpakk

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Thought Tana/Suzuki was great but the submissions just dragged.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Suzuki/Tanahashi was better than anything from Wrestle Kingdom by a pretty good margin in my opinion. Absolutely stupendous.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:10 pm

I thought it was good but the submission sequences went on for far too long to the point I was getting bored

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Went FULL LANZA in the den as I DEMANDED the ACE to tap. TAP MOTHERFUCKER, TAP!!!!

These two dudes are special in the ring together. Love their chemistry.

I'm such a Suzuki mark.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 pm

Submission finish in modern h.w NJPW main events? Nice.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 am

Pretty good show today. It was a bit similar to the Dominion shows from last year in that it was practically all multi-man tags other than the main event, but in this case most of the tag matches were fun and did a good job of building to matches scheduled for later in the tour.

I thought Elgin/Kitamura was a tad disappointing. Kitamura has a ton of charisma and is obviously positioned to be a future star (in a way, he already feels like a star) but he still has a ways to go as an in-ring performer. Elgin seemed kind of unmotivated too, which I guess I can understand given everything else he must have on his mind right now (not that I feel bad for him).

The Ibushi/Juice/Finlay vs. Elite B-Team match was actually really good. I wasn't as high on the Kota/Cody Wrestle Kingdom match as a lot of other people, but I will concede that they have pretty solid chemistry and that Ibushi seems to bring out the best in Cody for whatever reason. That spot where Cody hit Ibushi with the dropkick that Ibushi just backflipped out of was really cool.

Another really good six-man tag was the Okada/Goto/Gedo vs. SANADA/EVIL/BUSHI match. I'm actually more interested in the upcoming Tag Title match than I am in the IWGP or NEVER Title matches coming up. Okada and Goto showed some good chemistry as a team here. I really liked their simultaneous Ushigoroshi (sp?) spot. The aftermath with Okada beating the shit out of SANADA and then stuffing the Okada dollars in his mouth as he choked him out was interesting. It had me thinking that SANADA is going to have to either pin or tap out Okada at some point prior to their Osaka match. Right now he doesn't look like much of a challenger. I do find it interesting that they seem to sort of be positioning Okada as a heel in a lot of his recent title feuds. It's like they are using him acting like an asshole to try to rile the fans up to really make them want someone to finally bring him down to Earth, which I just think is interesting given that he is nominally the "face" in most of his feuds.

The main event was really interesting and unique. To be honest I had to watch it a second time to fully appreciate it. I have an easier time appreciating these slow-paced technical matches when I can understand what the commentators are saying, so this was a case where re-watching it with the English commentary improved the experience for me. For me it just helps in this type of match to hear the commentators describe how the holds are impacting different areas of the competitors' bodies (obviously the Japanese commentary team is doing that too, I just don't speak the language). On first watch I also thought that some of the submission spots were a bit excessive, but going into it a second time and understanding the story they were telling I realized that the endless holds made sense. Tanahashi is never going to admit that he's hurt or tired, so of course he's never going to tap, and of course the referee is going to be the one who has to stop it. Tanahashi and Suzuki both played their roles exceptionally well. My favorite moments were when Tanahashi was trying to get Suzuki in the Clover Leaf but Suzuki was balancing on his head to stay out of it.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's show, mostly because of the main and semi-main. The Jr Tag Title match from Wrestle Kingdom is my favorite match of the year so far, so I'm expecting big things from the rematch of that, and I'm very interested to see what Omega and White can do in the ring together. I also have no read on how the booking is going to go for that main event (seems like White kind of has to win to maintain any credibility, but also seems weird that Omega would not have the US Title going into the Strong Style Evolved show), so it will be very interesting to find out what Gedo's plan for that is. I feel very heavily invested in the future's of SHO, YOH, and Jay White and it seems like this could be a really important show for all of them.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Went FULL LANZA in the den as I DEMANDED the ACE to tap. TAP MOTHERFUCKER, TAP!!!!

I'm such a Suzuki mark.
Minoru is still by far my favorite current wrestler. He is just so real.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Woke up early again and caught White v Omega. Very good match and excellent long term story payoffs after the match. New Beginning weekend has been one hell of a success.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Just have watched Island Club vs. Makabe/Taguchi/Hanare, having watched most of the champs' matches to this point, and this felt like the first time where they didn't seem clunky and disjointed as a team. I like their aesthetic and the theme they have going, and am pleased to see that their chemistry is starting to come along. They're not going to be busting out fluid triple-teams or getting rid of Loa's inherent "WWE style" work any time soon, but I'm interested in their progress nonetheless. And hey, I guess it means Fale isn't gunning for singles titles for a bit (although I'm willing to bet that GOD will still be going after SANDADA/EVIL sometime this year--they'll lose, and slink back into this position right after, so don't stress folks).

Don't be surprised if Island Club ends up holding these belts for a while, maybe the rest of the year; I can't see any other true trios, consisting of guys who have nothing else going on and fit together as an actual team, emerging any time soon.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:Went FULL LANZA in the den as I DEMANDED the ACE to tap. TAP MOTHERFUCKER, TAP!!!!

I'm such a Suzuki mark.
Minoru is still by far my favorite current wrestler. He is just so real.
My only issue with that is that he used the figure four the fake way instead of the real way, but that's more of a wrestling problem than a MiSu problem.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Pretty strong show today.

I thought that Kitamura's match with Juice was probably his best showing as a singles wrestler so far. They played both the “big man vs. little man” and “Young Lion vs. veteran” dynamics very well. To me Juice seemed a lot more motivated to make this a good match than Elgin did yesterday. The previewers on this site suggested that this would be a test for Juice to see how he'd fare against a less experienced wrestler, and I thought he passed with flying colors.

In other Young Lion news, I thought that Umino stepped up in the New Japan Army vs. Suzukigun Juniors match. It was a pretty average 8-man tag overall, but Umino really brought the energy up when he tagged in. He did a good job filling the Kawato void as the fired-up but in over his head Young Lion.

Meanwhile Oka isn't really doing much for me. It would be too harsh to say that I don't see anything in him, as he is fairly solid in the ring considering his experience level. But he is just totally lacking in the fire and the it factor that Kawato and Kitamura have. I know that people say that he is likely earmarked by the office as a future main eventer, but at this early stage I don't see that in him at all. Granted, he wasn't exactly in there with New Japan's finest in today's 8-man tag, but I don't feel that he really did anything to stand out either.

Roppongi 3K and The Young Bucks had the best match on the show in my opinion. In a way the focus on the back injuries had slightly diminishing returns this time around, because at Wrestle Kingdom I thought that they were legitimately hurt, which gave that match a weird tension that would be impossible to reproduce. But they did enough interesting variations on tropes from the previous match to keep this one interesting. Normally I would think that trading wins and titles back and forth so rapidly is annoying, but the way it is playing out in this feud (with each team earning a narrow victory by exploiting an injury) does make it feel like a developing story rather than just 50/50 booking or hot-potatoing of the belts, so it's working here. Plus if the matches are going to continue to be this exciting I really don't mind if these teams just keep wrestling each other for the foreseeable future.

The main event was very good although I still think that Jay White has a ways to go before most fans buy into him as a true star. He took some impressive bumps but never really seemed in control of the match, and his victory was heavily overshadowed by the Bullet Club in-fighting and Golden Lovers reunion in the post-match. I thought all of that stuff was well-executed, it's just a shame that there wasn't more room to let White's victory sink in. The match was solid although I do think that Omega overdoes the V-Trigger stuff sometimes. The one that he did on the apron looked amazing, but then he did at least 10 more normal ones afterwards and it just felt like overkill after awhile. White looked good in the match but he never really got to be the aggressor, which I think is what he needs to do to really shine. He does very well with the little details in his matches (for example, I thought it was really cool when he just barely lifted his shoulder but not his hurt neck to kick out at one point), takes some great looking bumps, and has a cool looking finishing move, but I feel like he needs to pick up the pace a little bit and just generally be more aggressive if he wants to be looked at as being on a main event level.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Really dug the Omega/White match and post match stuff.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Very tired due to a busy weekend which ended with desperately trying to catch up on these two shows so I'll be concise for once.

Tanahashi vs Suzuki was great. Loved the finish and excited by the result.

Loved RPG3K vs Bucks. Agree with Frank the WK12 match was tighter but I was invested throughout and loved everything they did. YOH is incredible, but Matt's selling continues to be stellar.

Liked White vs Omega a lot, a bit on the long side and wore thin when I tried to rewatch with English commentary. Good result, though, I think White will do good things with the title and win people over by Dominion.

Absolutely fucking adored the post-match. I could nitpick some things but they really did put so much effort into the build that all the details clicked tremendously. Milano was crying, I surprised myself by not tearing up, but emotions were most certainly felt.

For once these New Beginning shows feel more like a New Beginning than years previous, where it's often just "the next big event". Maybe the two-shows-in-Sapporo gimmick was a good choice both in terms of $$$ and in terms of storyline advancement. Something big needed to happen, and something major did.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 am

Frank Olson wrote: In other Young Lion news, I thought that Umino stepped up in the New Japan Army vs. Suzukigun Juniors match. It was a pretty average 8-man tag overall, but Umino really brought the energy up when he tagged in. He did a good job filling the Kawato void as the fired-up but in over his head Young Lion.

Meanwhile Oka isn't really doing much for me. It would be too harsh to say that I don't see anything in him, as he is fairly solid in the ring considering his experience level. But he is just totally lacking in the fire and the it factor that Kawato and Kitamura have. I know that people say that he is likely earmarked by the office as a future main eventer, but at this early stage I don't see that in him at all. Granted, he wasn't exactly in there with New Japan's finest in today's 8-man tag, but I don't feel that he really did anything to stand out either.
Have to agree with your Young Lion assessments. It's early days but I think Umino, has future main eventer potential. He's not bad looking, has the the frame to step into the heavyweight division, looks a pretty good athlete and already showing decent wrestling acumen at this stage. Not saying he will become a star but the tools are there to become one.

Oka on the other hand isn't doing much for me at this stage either but he might catch on when he's able to break out of the Young Lion mold and let loose with his own character, move-set etc. I think the time to judge Oka will be then....

Which kind of brings me to 'Switchblade' Jay White. On the positive side, I think he's starting to get more comfortable with this character and I thought he looked better here against Omega, than he did against Tanahashi, despite being dominated down the closing stretch. I actually didn't mind that he got the victory by barely hanging on through the punishment and then getting the win out of nowhere. Kenny got over-zealous with wanting to make an example out of White and it end up costing him.

That being said I think they should have yet his victory sink in a bit more, as I don't think the fans are quite buying into him yet. As a comparison, remember it took a while for the fans to buy into A.J Styles- it doesn't always happen straight away. If he's still not over by the end of the year- then mission failed but it's far to early to write White off. How well he does in the G-1 may well end up being the key, after all that's what got Styles over- after his initial main event push flopped.

As for other stuff throw my hat in the ring for loving the Tanahashi-Suzuki match from Night 1 and Bucks vs Roppongi 3K, whilst the Golden Lovers reunion, hit me right in the feels. Looks like the Bullet Club implosion story is coming to a head, personally I think this slow build has been great and I like the fact that they've even thrown in some doubt that the Bucks will still side with Kenny. Are we going to see Kenny get kicked out or will Cody just end up being 'the Starscream'?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 am

Lawsoncomedy wrote:Really dug the Omega/White match and post match stuff.
Once the post match stuff developed, I dug the result of the match more. Just a necessary transition to move on to BULLET CLUB CIVIL WAR.

Golden Lovers moment was nice and felt earned. Makes a lot of the Cody-Omega stuff feel paid off as well.