NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Kirk D

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Kirk D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:47 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:The Omega segment at DASH was really corny. It made Omega look like a goof.
So...ultimately...this entire segment is supposed to do several things, but the one thing it does, it makes Kenny look like a complete goof in everything he does. I don't even see a Bullet Club civil war. There aren't two sides. There is The Elite (Kenny and the Bucks)...there is the BC OGs (Fale, Tama, and Loa)...and then there is everyone else, including the jobbers (Cody, Marty, et al). A breakup angle makes sense...but all of these dudes make so much cash off of the merch, I can not see them wanting to break the group up for the American audience.
I agree. For me I felt even Omega did not believe in what he was saying when he said "Switchblade". The narrative just doesn't did not make sense.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm

One thing I didn't see mentioned about the Okada vs. Naito match was that this was a departure from the pattern that was developing in the Naito/Okada feud. The pastern up until now has been Naito wins then Okada wins. They were pretty much even split up until this point trading wins with each other. Okada not only has beaten him twice in a row now but he has 5-4 lead over him for all time singles matches. Just a fun little thing to note. I don't know if that had any weight in the decision making.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Kirk D wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:The Omega segment at DASH was really corny. It made Omega look like a goof.
So...ultimately...this entire segment is supposed to do several things, but the one thing it does, it makes Kenny look like a complete goof in everything he does. I don't even see a Bullet Club civil war. There aren't two sides. There is The Elite (Kenny and the Bucks)...there is the BC OGs (Fale, Tama, and Loa)...and then there is everyone else, including the jobbers (Cody, Marty, et al). A breakup angle makes sense...but all of these dudes make so much cash off of the merch, I can not see them wanting to break the group up for the American audience.
I agree. For me I felt even Omega did not believe in what he was saying when he said "Switchblade". The narrative just doesn't did not make sense.
I don't think you are wrong to say the segment made Omega look like a goof. Omega admits as much in his backstage comments regarding White's refusal.

The segment as a whole was probably the hottest or second hottest all night. I understand Omega's kayfabe logic of bringing in White to be his enforcer and have his back in the group since the Bucks/Scrull are the mediators between him and Cody. Cody is also clearly trying to stoke an uprising from the OGs and the lower card members by painting Omega as a leader who has forgotten about their importance.

Business wise this is all leading to a Cody v Omega match. It could go a dozen directions after that. I could see Omega holding down the insurrection and Cody being dumped or Cody learning his place and staying. I could see the OGs backing Jay White as the leader( the kiwi connection with Fale helps) and Omega/Scrull/Bucks/Cody reconciling and becoming an expanded version of the Elite. But the heat on this Cody/Omega/White/Ibushi quad angle is hot enough to get them and the US title to the summer.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

i do think the main event program for WK13 is going to be Okada Naito again but roles will be reversed with Naito as champ and okada as G1 winner , similar to the usual Gedo booking pattern.

With that said i agree with some of the above posts that Sanada has a good slim chance to win. Sanada is the perfect Transition holder till Naito challenges him and wins it from him (prob Sakura Genesis or Dontaku).

Of course Okada can hold it all the way to WK13, but i am not sure how he can have enough challengers (ibushi ? Kenny ? Jericho ?) till then. So Sanada it is :lol: :lol:

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 am

Goto/EVIL sounds like a match I've seen a few times already (not that I'm complaining; they'd be incredibly fun matches). Did they wrestle for the NEVER Belt after Goto wrestled Juice but before Suzuki? Or am I blending the Shibata matches (awww, I made myself sad) with EVIL with Goto's reign?

rollup

Post by rollup » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 am

the new beginning in osaka is loaded , also includes Nagata vs Kitamura

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 am

Jay White will be going one-on-one with David Finlay on the first Korakuen Road to New Beginning show. They're going to absolutely kill it.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:Goto/EVIL sounds like a match I've seen a few times already (not that I'm complaining; they'd be incredibly fun matches). Did they wrestle for the NEVER Belt after Goto wrestled Juice but before Suzuki? Or am I blending the Shibata matches (awww, I made myself sad) with EVIL with Goto's reign?
Goto was EVIL's first feud after excursion, they wrestled in 2015 and again in 2016 before EVIL had his first G1. Decent matches but obviously EVIL has improved greatly since.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am

New Beginning shows look fantastic

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 pm

No word on Jericho-Naito yet. Assume it happens in March, only question is if it's in the US, or if it's at the Anniversary show in Tokyo. There's a gap in Fozzy dates just big enough for Jericho to make it out to Japan and back, but it's a very slim gap indeed and it would be a very demanding workload for the guy.

I feel it would be smart for Naito to have big matches at both shows though, got to keep his momentum high as I don't see any way right now that he doesn't win the title at Dominion.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 pm

The diluted nature of the three-day show keeps my enthusiasm in check, but I'm into all of the top stuff and a decent portion of the undercard.

My cautious optimism about this HW Tag booking is now MORE cautious seeing that it is the only championship (of eight) to be pushed onto a Road To New Beginning show. Even the trios belt gets on the card, but I suppose you can't put Okada/Goto onto the undercard like you can with the trios. And that Makabe/Henare/Taguchi trio is a WILD CHOICE. But I'm really interested in the Tag title match, despite the indications that it may not be expected to deliver.

Jay White vs. David Finlay Jr.... This has the chance both to be great and ULTRA flat. Both have something to prove and both have underwhelmed me in recent vintage. This could be a sleeper.

Pumped for the Kitamura-7 Series to continue. Especially with Elgin and Kojima. Oh shit, and I didn't see Juice there. Awesome.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm

There's a lot I like and a lot I don't like. But without complaining about what I hated from WK and looking at things as-is: I like that they're intermingling the singles/tag divisions and giving Korakuen a title match, but I don't trust it to be anything other than a one-time thing. More of what the second Korakuen is getting would wipe away complaints of staleness, worthlessness, and lack of depth from both tag divisions. I also like that Osaka has so many special singles matches but again, that's not going to be the norm. My big fear is that YOSHI-HASHI will defeat Naito like Okada lost to Fale in 2015 and that will be the catalyst for another groan-inducing redemption arc. Tana/Suzuki sounds and will be great (I'm surprised it's been so long...) and I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki wins just to lose in Australia, just like EVIL with the NEVER in Singapore; give the fans a special moment.

I think Henare will be given a lot of shine on this tour. He'll eat the fall in the NEVER Trios match but look good, and NJPW knows what they're doing giving him a multiman or two against Ishii again. White vs Finlay is one of the matches I'm looking most forward to, and there's a curious Roppongi 3k vs. Kanemaru and Desperado match on the Osaka show that might lead to a Suzukigun title challenge (though I'm dreading it telegraphs the Bucks retaining).
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 am

Is Henare working a Tatanka tribute gimmick with this new year?

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 am

All in on these Kitamura trial series matches. Him and Kojima, him and Nagata, Elgin, man, this is gonna be good stuff. Hot start to 2018.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 am

Mabey this is off topic, but with NJPW working with Australia I wonder if there is a chance they bring in TMDK as a group? Marcius Pitt and Damian Slater are already rumored(according to Pitt on a podcast), Slex already wrestled Okada, and I wouldn't be shocked if they have their eye on Jonah Rock, and probally a long shot, but if they could get Eliot Sexton out of retirement I could see him fitting in too.

What do you guys think?